PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Sat. Night

Stooper
10/18/2011, 11:40 PM
Perfect Football Weather, ABC, Under the lights. Watching OUr team (National Championship Contender). We need to "Show Up" as a crowd Sat. Night!! Boomer Sooner!!!

nighttrain12
10/19/2011, 12:45 AM
Weather.com says there is a 30% chance of rain on Saturday though it didn't seem to specify what time of day. Better bring your ponchos!

oupride
10/19/2011, 06:24 AM
Who can forget the perfect night of football in 2008? Raider fans left early 3rd Qtr.

auto
10/19/2011, 07:45 AM
Who can forget the perfect night of football in 2008? Raider fans left early 3rd Qtr.

Was there, and the energy was insane. Can't wait for this Saturday night, going to be off the hook. Perfection for Football.

sooner59
10/19/2011, 08:27 AM
I wish I could go. I miss living in Norman and having student tickets. And that 08 Tech game was the funnest game I ever went to.

sooner rick
10/19/2011, 11:41 AM
I've never been to a game in Norman that was as loud as it was that night!

sooneredaco
10/19/2011, 11:56 AM
2008 = Epic. 2011 will = Epic 2.0

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2011, 12:30 PM
I'm betting on another typical OU crowd..a 4-2 TT team that isn't ranked..completely different circumstances..

I was at that game..I was also at the OU Nebraska 2000 and the OU-aTm game in college station that year..Crowd was pretty live for the 52-9 osu beatdown in the les years..They all were pretty similar with live crowds...Too bad our fanbase doesn't typically get like that and only a game or 2 out of Bob's 13 years really stand out..

SoonerPride
10/19/2011, 01:13 PM
Too bad our fanbase doesn't typically get like that and only a game or 2 out of Bob's 13 years really stand out..

Not to nitpick, but it's hard to get frothing at the mouth rabid over Ball State.

Or even texas tech this year.

We're really loud when we need to be.

Still we're louder than you might think. Our unbeaten home record is a testament to both the team and to some small extent the crowd working together.

Owen Field is a tough place to play.

yankee
10/19/2011, 01:52 PM
I'm betting on another typical OU crowd..a 4-2 TT team that isn't ranked..completely different circumstances..

Yup. They might play "Jump Around" for old time's sake and just to **** Tceh fans off, but it'll be a typical OU crowd Saturday night. Not that I think there's anything wrong with that. I can't wait for the game.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2011, 02:03 PM
Not to nitpick, but it's hard to get frothing at the mouth rabid over Ball State.

Or even texas tech this year.

We're really loud when we need to be.

Still we're louder than you might think. Our unbeaten home record is a testament to both the team and to some small extent the crowd working together.

Owen Field is a tough place to play.

It is a tough place to play..With the exception of a game or 2, I'm not sure how much credit I would give the crowds for any of that..I dunno, I've just been to enough games here and about 30 other stadiums to know this crowd is very cheese and wine..It's not the worse, not the best either..

I Am Right
10/19/2011, 03:17 PM
The fan participation is directly related to the play on the field. Defense makes plays we are loud,
Offense makes plays we yell.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2011, 03:18 PM
That's the problem..You go other places, the crowd comes ready and the player's respond.

I Am Right
10/19/2011, 03:21 PM
Or the students leave at half time.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2011, 03:22 PM
Definitely seen a lot of that

8timechamps
10/19/2011, 03:25 PM
It is a tough place to play..With the exception of a game or 2, I'm not sure how much credit I would give the crowds for any of that..I dunno, I've just been to enough games here and about 30 other stadiums to know this crowd is very cheese and wine..It's not the worse, not the best either..

That's always been the case. When a fanbase can remember the last two times the stadium was crazy, and it's been over a period of years, then it's safe to say we don't get loud.

Norman is a tough place to play, but I don't know that it has anything to do with the crowd (with the exception of a couple of games). Having been to some SEC stadiums, I can say they are crazy every week. HOWEVER, they are just crazy people...so that has a lot to do with it.

Still, I'll take gameday in Norman over any place on earth.

sooner59
10/19/2011, 03:25 PM
The Mizzou game in 2007 was right up there as well. The scoop and score by Lofton was every bit as loud as anytime during the 2003 osu game or 2008 tech game. Problem is, it has to be either a huge rivalry game (like osu after two losses in a row to them) or a huge game national game, primetime, night game, Gameday crew there, everybody boozed up...AND it as to be a close game for the crowd to stay in it for an extended period of time.

Best crowd experience since 03: 08 Tech

Longest a crowd was VERY loud since 03: 07 Mizzou

Most intense a crowd has been in 03: Early in the 03 osu game, goalline stand. That 4th down play was deafening.

All_Day_28
10/19/2011, 05:08 PM
The best game I've been to in Norman had to be the 2000 Nebraska game.. It was insane and we made a huge statement that day that "we were back".

oumartin
10/19/2011, 05:16 PM
SHADUP... I'm trying to watch a game

Travellingsooner
10/19/2011, 05:21 PM
Nebraska 2000 - alltime best crowd experience!

silverwheels
10/19/2011, 05:47 PM
It's also homecoming, so the student section will probably empty out at halftime, especially if OU has a comfortable lead.

Plexis22
10/19/2011, 09:05 PM
If OU ends up in the SEC it will be "08 Tech Loud" several times a year when facing the likes of LSU, Florida, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc not to mention likely still OSU every other year. It's hard to get excited about a multiple-loss Tech, Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State, etc. OU also is usually winning by 20+ by halftime at home making the crowd more subdued.

Penguin
10/19/2011, 09:52 PM
Start selling vuvuzelas. That should help with crowd noise.

http://platform-online.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Vuvuzela_red.jpg

nighttrain12
10/19/2011, 10:30 PM
Make sure and shout 'home of the SOONERS!' just before the game starts!

sooner59
10/19/2011, 10:45 PM
It's also homecoming, so the student section will probably empty out at halftime, especially if OU has a comfortable lead.

The annual Greek mass exit after the reading of the winners.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/19/2011, 10:55 PM
No crowd we have this year will match what we will face next week in Manhatten against the Kitties. One contributing factor in our loss there, anyway....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2011, 10:57 PM
I will tell you the absolute bat craziest place I have been to a football game was Lane Stadium...Insane...They can be playing a vo tech school and that crowd is losing it...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2011, 10:57 PM
No crowd we have this year will match what we will face next week in Manhatten against the Kitties. One contributing factor in our loss there, anyway....

Ohhh Richard!

soonerboy_odanorth
10/19/2011, 11:02 PM
:D

picasso
10/19/2011, 11:59 PM
So true! KSU is loud and pasty white.

C&CDean
10/20/2011, 07:13 PM
If we could ever get the west side upper deck to stand up and yell the place would be completely deafening. I sit up there, and I've only seen everyone up and into it at maybe 5-6 ball games in the Stoops era. NU in 2000, one OSU game (I can't remember what year), the Tech game in 08, and one of the eATMe beatdowns (can't remember which one since Lassie is Bob's bitch in Norman). In general, our crowds suck, and in particular, our student section and west side upper deck are the cause of the suckitude. North end zone? Loud and proud. West side lower deck? Stand and yell all game. East side lower deck? Seem to be loud except the students. South end zone? Pretty good. High dollar donors on east side? They're too busy impressing each other with their jewelry, talk of nice cars/where their trophy wives shop/what ever other game is on the TV.

All that being what it is, I love my Sooners and I stand and yell the whole game. I think there's me, and 3 other people in the entire west side UD who do that.

5noubus
10/20/2011, 08:51 PM
I was also at the epic tech game! It was unbelievable I will never forget it!
Things I've noticed about our fan base:
1.There is a lot of old people! I mean I can't believe they come out for it! I think it's cool and all, I know some of them make some noise but some of them can't stand up (seriously)
2. The music or lack of that is played over the sound system can affect the crowd's attitude.
3. I really don't know if our stadium can be as loud as some due to the shape of it?
4. It doesn't take much bad playing to get most sooner fans out of the game
5. I've been to several away games and Nebraska was the loudest by far!
They are serious!

brian
10/20/2011, 10:42 PM
going to be alot of complaining about the crowd after this one I think

PrideMom
10/21/2011, 08:54 AM
I wish they would bring back the thunder sticks! They are really loud, are harmless, and fun!

3rdgensooner
10/21/2011, 10:15 AM
So, is it decided? We should be loud?

Seamus
10/21/2011, 10:38 AM
SEC crowds have more speed.

And Oxy.

And coke.

Serge Ibaka
10/21/2011, 12:28 PM
2008 Tech game was my best sporting experience. It was cold as %3@# that night.

07(?) Miami was the only other game that I've attended that came anywhere close in terms of crowd noise (attended nearly every home game while I was an undergrad; 2006-2010).

Our crowd merely suffers from entitlement and high-expectations. I think that we can all get up for it when it matters.

sooner59
10/21/2011, 01:56 PM
2008 Tech game was my best sporting experience. It was cold as %3@# that night.

07(?) Miami was the only other game that I've attended that came anywhere close in terms of crowd noise (attended nearly every home game while I was an undergrad; 2006-2010).

Our crowd merely suffers from entitlement and high-expectations. I think that we can all get up for it when it matters.

2007 Mizzou. 4th Quarter. Deafening.

SOONERnTx
10/21/2011, 06:34 PM
'07 mizzou was my first game in Norman! Will never forget it. I got tickets from the seats for sooners program. Been hooked ever since!