PDA

View Full Version : All-SEC Affair In New Orleans?. Makes me want to puke

SapulpaSooner
10/18/2011, 01:38 PM
All-SEC Affair In New Orleans?SUCCS

By Chris Low
ESPN.com

Imagine the two biggest, baddest dudes in the neighborhood beating down anything and anybody that comes their way.

Every time you watch one fight, you're more convinced than ever that the only person who has a chance to beat him is the guy who lives around the corner.

They haven't squared off yet, but everybody knows it will be a classic confrontation: two behemoths slugging it out with all their might.

If LSU-Alabama is as close as everyone thinks it will be, why wouldn't we want to see a sequel in the title game?

But why settle for just one of those scraps?

If they're truly the two baddest dudes in the whole city, let's see them go at it again when the biggest prize is on the line.

Just because they happen to live in the same neighborhood -- one in which only the strong survive -- that shouldn't exclude them from battling on the biggest stage of all.

It's about matching the two best fighters. Never mind that they bloodied each other in a much anticipated split-decision a few weeks earlier.

They're the best, and everybody knows they're the best.

It's the same way with Alabama and LSU this season.

They're the class of college football, and while Nov. 5 can't get here soon enough, how sweet would it be to see these two teams go at it again in New Orleans on Jan. 9 in the Allstate BCS National Championship Game?

In a lot of ways, they're mirror images of each other, and they really haven't been pushed all season.

The closest anyone has come to Alabama is 16 points.

The closest anyone has come to LSU is 13 points.

The Crimson Tide have won their four SEC games by a combined margin of 162-27.

The Tigers have won their past four games, including a trip to No. 15 West Virginia, by a combined margin of 161-46.

Between them, they've faced seven nationally ranked teams, and their combined average margin of victory in those seven games is 21.4 points.

Already, NFL scouts are drooling. The two starting defenses alone could produce as many as 16 or 17 NFL draft picks.

And speaking of defense, there aren't two better, deeper or more talented defensive units in the country.

SEC blog

ESPN.com's Chris Low and Edward Aschoff write about all things SEC football in the conference blog.

Alabama ranks No. 1 nationally in just about all the key defensive categories, and LSU isn't too far behind. The Tigers are No. 4 in total defense, No. 6 in rushing defense and No. 7 in scoring defense.

Nobody talks a whole lot about the two offenses, but Alabama junior running back Trent Richardson is a tackle-breaking machine who turns 5-yard runs into 65-yard touchdown runs.

LSU doesn't have a player quite that explosive. Then again, who does?

But the Tigers are deep and talented on the offensive line (a lot like Alabama) and have a way of imposing their will on teams in the second half.

You don't hear a lot about the teams' quarterbacks, either. That is, other than LSU coach Les Miles bucking conventional wisdom and working Jordan Jefferson back into the rotation even though the Tigers had been sailing right along under Jarrett Lee.

It's not a coincidence, either, that neither of these teams turn the ball over. Alabama's AJ McCarron has thrown just two interceptions to go along with nine touchdown passes. Lee has thrown only one interception to go along with 11 touchdown passes.

Alabama's last turnover came the third week of the season against North Texas. LSU has also gone four straight games without committing a turnover.

So not only are they the two baddest teams in college football, they're two of the most disciplined, too.

This is not a trumped-up plea for a playoff. The BCS isn't going away any time soon.

But if we're truly interesting in seeing the two best teams in college football meet this season for the national title, there's an easy solution.

Make it an all-SEC affair in the Big Easy.

At least then, somebody might finally have a chance to beat the SEC champion when it counts.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/bcscase/st

picasso
10/18/2011, 01:40 PM
Well, incest is right up their alley.

badger
10/18/2011, 01:42 PM
The SEC disappoints me. Nobody is putting up a fight against their top tier teams like they usually can be expected to some years. Sure someone ends up undefeated many years, but it is usually a little bit more in question than right about now in the middle of the season.

So anyways, the SEC sucks as a conference, not because it has crappy teams at the top, but because it has crappy teams at the bottom.

PUT UP A FIGHT, YOU PANSY PROGRAMS!!!!!!!!

Widescreen
10/18/2011, 01:46 PM
It seems like these writers are all assuming when Bama and LSU play, the score will be something like 10-9. What if it's a 17-21 point difference? Should they still play a rematch? None of these writers ever comment about that.

badger
10/18/2011, 01:50 PM
Meh, media is a double-bladed sword. They were once talking back in 2003 how OU already had its national title game ticket punched (to Nawlins, yes) even if we lost to KSU... and then we did. Somebody should have told them "no takebacks," heh, because that's all they wanted to do afterward.

The fact of the matter is that the BCS will get sued to all oblivion if they let a one-loss team in the title game with an undefeated team from the same conference when there are undefeated major conference teams to choose from other conferences... or the BCS would be demolished in favor of a playoff even faster.

The ONLY way that LSU and Bammer have a title game rematch is if Stanford, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and the other major conference teams that are undefeated (sorry Boise and Houston) all have one loss. Even then, you're looking at trouble if you give the SEC loser a rematch, because they'd have an equal record with others vying for a title shot.

As already mentioned, the SEC looks pansy weak right about now aside from their top two teams. At least with the Big 12, we have some fight left in some of our other teams that aren't undefeated.

Jmorales22
10/18/2011, 01:57 PM
It's about matching the two best fighters. Never mind that they bloodied each other in a much anticipated split-decision a few weeks earlier.

This homer's going to look really stupid when Alabama rolls over LSU by 14-21 points.

badger
10/18/2011, 02:00 PM
Who hosts the big arse game? LSU or Bammer?

If the away team wins, there is even less reason for a rematch.

EatLeadCommie
10/18/2011, 02:01 PM
Did Jenni Carlson write that article? Every paragraph is a sentence long.

I'll tell you somebody who isn't going to want to play in a rematch-- the winner of the Bama-LSU game!

CowboyMRW
10/18/2011, 02:09 PM
It's in Tuscaloosa Badj

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2011, 02:22 PM
yada yada yada - it ain't gonna happen. The media guys are bored because there have been so few upsets this year --- YET! Many are already assuming 5-6 unbeatens, which never seems to really happen.

badger
10/18/2011, 02:25 PM
It's in Tuscaloosa Badj
Thx... so I assume LSU would want to meet once again at their place after they get their arse handed to them in Bammerham? :D

Make no mistake... Nawlins is their place. They had like 90 percent of the tickets in 2003 (actually 2004 since it was in January) and it utterly sucked to give them a home game for their title game.

Whatever... it is what it is.

rekamrettuB
10/18/2011, 02:31 PM
Ya we heard the same thing about Ohio State / Michigan in 2006 and they had a classic of a game the Michigan lost by 3 at the 'Shoe. What happened next? Everybody decided "we don't want to see that again" and voted up Florida. Good thing too...Florida then blasted Ohio State behind their all-everything QB Tim Tebow.

What? Tim Tebow wasn't the QB?

badger
10/18/2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah, the SEC dominance has been very reliant on the pollsters voting them ahead of other teams that were also deserving.

In 2006, Michigan was deserving too.

In 2007, it was big mess that ended up inviting a two-loss team.

In 2008... well, you all remember the plane banners I assume.

In 2009... poor Cincy. Not quite a bear, not quite a cat.

In 2010... at least the consolidation prize was a Rose Bowl trophy.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2011, 03:13 PM
Make no mistake... Nawlins is their place. They had like 90 percent of the tickets in 2003 (actually 2004 since it was in January) and it utterly sucked to give them a home game for their title game.

Whatever... it is what it is.

As they did in '07 (Jan. '08). We need to add the Cotton bowl to the BCS rotation so we at least spread the LSU appearances out to 5 year intervals.

DCsooner22
10/18/2011, 03:36 PM
It seems like these writers are all assuming when Bama and LSU play, the score will be something like 10-9. What if it's a 17-21 point difference? Should they still play a rematch? None of these writers ever comment about that.

This was exactly my thought right here...

Mad Dog Madsen
10/18/2011, 03:42 PM
All OU has to do is win out. There is NO way a 1 loss SEC team will get into the NC game over an undefeated conference champion. It's as simple as that really...

SoonerPride
10/18/2011, 03:45 PM
OU v Wisconsin will be the title game.

No SEC team will be in it.

OrlandoSooner
10/18/2011, 03:52 PM

I hope not. Can you imagine the banter after that game?
Not a valid champion b/c they didn't have to beat the best SEC team !!! The winner of the SEC is the true champion, etc.

I want to see an SEC team lose in the big game.

badger
10/18/2011, 04:41 PM

I could see this happen. Remember whornegon the year Mike Stoops' Arizona beat them? Their Heisman trophy guy had an ACL and right after the guy's injury in the second half of the nationally televised game... Oregano had a Heisman ad for the kid. Awk. Ward.

So, this is how it happens:

1- One beats the other like we all know inevitably will happen.

2- The winner of the game suffers a key injury (or injuries) that causes them to lose a different game before the title game.

3- Faced with the prospect of at least two other undefeated teams from other conferences, the BCS system selects two non-SEC teams, making the first non-SEC national championship since 2005 a reality.

Who gives a shiite if the media whines initially? The lasting impression is the number that a school gets to attach to its letterhead, stadium and t-shirts. The media once said that 2000's title was illegit because Miami wasn't in the title game. Who gives a crap 10 years later.

dennis580
10/18/2011, 04:45 PM
This is why it is so important that somebody takes down a SEC team in the NC game. This kind of stuff is only going to get worse if the SEC wins a 6th straight National Championship

marfacowboy
10/18/2011, 04:50 PM
Yawn. He's a terrible writer and not very creative. A hog calling contest in Selmer, TN would be more enjoyable than reading his column.

SoonerTony
10/18/2011, 06:03 PM
In the SEC they lift weights and stuff. How can we compete with that I ask you?

I mean, if we were in the SEC week in and week out we'd face the likes of Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole' Miss and Vanderbilt!
Oh, the fear I have of my beloved Sooners in those confrontations.

Doooom! Doom I tell you!

SoonerNomad
10/18/2011, 06:58 PM
If they play a close game and remain undefeated otherwise, I would be more in favor of letting them have their rematch in Atlanta in the SEC title game, but guess what, the rules don't allow for that. If you cannot do it in the conference game you should not be able to do it in the national title game.

I also remember after Nebraska made the title game the year Colorado routed them, when they didn't even go to the Big 12 title game, and OU going to the title game after the blowout to KSU in 2003 led to some adjustments to the rules that almost assure that you have to win your conference to play in the BCS title game. You at least have to win your division.

jumperstop
10/18/2011, 07:32 PM
If they play a close game and remain undefeated otherwise, I would be more in favor of letting them have their rematch in Atlanta in the SEC title game, but guess what, the rules don't allow for that. If you cannot do it in the conference game you should not be able to do it in the national title game.

I also remember after Nebraska made the title game the year Colorado routed them, when they didn't even go to the Big 12 title game, and OU going to the title game after the blowout to KSU in 2003 led to some adjustments to the rules that almost assure that you have to win your conference to play in the BCS title game. You at least have to win your division.

The title appearance that everyone seems to forget happened. Nebraska was not in the same league as scUM that year and did not deserve a shot after not even competing in the CCG.

mdklatt
10/18/2011, 08:58 PM
Rematches for championships are bull****. Team A beats Team B. Team B beats Team A a few weeks later. So that means Team B is automatically superior to Team A? Bull****. Sometimes it's unavoidable, like conference championship games, but it's still bull****.

btb916
10/18/2011, 09:00 PM
Let's go a step further.

Let's stop playing ANY college football game that's not LSU v. 'Bama.

If they're the best, why even WATCH anything else?

It is just watered down.

So I say, every Saturday from September to January should be LSU v. 'Bama.

If those are the best two teams, how could anyone EVER get tired of watching them?