PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else love the national disrespect for the Sooners as much as I do?

Jaybound
10/17/2011, 06:18 PM
Of course being ranked the #3 team is in no way disrespect, however I am referring to the comments made by media and fans every day about how Oklahoma is not on the level of Alabama or LSU. Or every single game on our schedule everyone thinks that "It will be a close game, the Sooners always choke eventually". I love it, and I can tell that our guys are hearing this BS every day and have something to prove. We came out flat in the first half against both Kansas and Mizzou, then we flipped a switch and kicked some a** when we needed to. In no way in hell am I upset about beating a team on the road by 30, I don't care how bad they are. Yes, we have some kinks to work out such as redzone offense and special teams; but that's what championships teams do, they improve throughout the season. I don't know what it is, but I see something in this team that I haven't seen since the 2000 team. The passion, fire, drive and desire in their eyes when they play is overwhelmingly different than previous teams. I don't know about you all, but I prefer the media to keep riding the SEC train all the way to #8!

Okieflyer
10/17/2011, 06:24 PM
I know what you sayin' man, but don't worry. As Al Davis said "Just Win Baby!" it will all take care of itself. So I totally agree with your last sentence for sure.

OUHOMER
10/17/2011, 06:24 PM
I am a homer, but when you come out flat like we did with MU and KU, it does leave doubt. Did we turn it on in the second half, hell yes we did. But can we play a weak first half against a LSU or Bama, or even OSU and come back and win?
We have to get the red zone points, all of them.

But , I like our chances

AlboSooner
10/17/2011, 06:25 PM
Here we go again...

soonercastor
10/17/2011, 06:28 PM
well let them disrespect, only way to shut them up would be 1) go undefeated 2) win in New Orleans.

Jaybound
10/17/2011, 06:31 PM
well let them disrespect, only way to shut them up would be 1) go undefeated 2) win in New Orleans.

I completely agree, which is why I love the national disrespect. I hope it keeps a chip on our shoulders, none of that "we can't lose to anyone" mentality that we had with previous teams just to get obliterated in the NC game.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2011, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure how much of the team's mentality comes from what the media says..

jk the sooner fan
10/17/2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzDxilKnU8Q

Frozen Sooner
10/17/2011, 07:12 PM
It's amazing to me how every team is disrespected by the national media. I wonder if there's a fanbase out there that's ever said "Man, I'm pretty happy about how our team gets covered."

Jmorales22
10/17/2011, 07:21 PM
I don't think media pundits can fire up players, but I believe that things the other team says can.

jk the sooner fan
10/17/2011, 07:24 PM
who cares?

really - are we that sensitive that we derive self-worth of our football program from writers?

really?

CrimsonRez
10/17/2011, 07:36 PM
Jeez...some people are like the fat chick in high school, just wanting everyones acceptance. Listen for one we're not the fat chick...that is pokes position. Two we have such a long history of winning (past and current) that who cares what the writers think? If we get in the redzone as much as we do now against LSU or Bama and we get TD's instead of field goals we are gonna spank the hell out of them. Take that to the Bank.

Jaybound
10/17/2011, 07:55 PM
Jeez...some people are like the fat chick in high school, just wanting everyones acceptance. Listen for one we're not the fat chick...that is pokes position. Two we have such a long history of winning (past and current) that who cares what the writers think? If we get in the redzone as much as we do now against LSU or Bama and we get TD's instead of field goals we are gonna spank the hell out of them. Take that to the Bank.

I think a few of you are taking my post the wrong way. The reason I love the "disrespect" is because it keeps our boys focused. In previous title runs they had the attitude that nobody could beat them and all they had to do is show up on the field and they will win. Now, the public view is that the Sooners are good just not on the level of Bama or LSU. I believe that OU can beat any team, anywhere, anytime and simply can't wait to stuff it down the throats of an SEC team.

jk the sooner fan
10/17/2011, 07:59 PM
if "our boys" need the national media's disrespect to 'stay focused" - then we need a new group of "boys"

A Sooner in Texas
10/17/2011, 08:01 PM
The only comment that has truly pissed me off came during our game Saturday when one of the announcers called our running backs "SEC-esque." No, they are "OU-esque." We are Running Back U and have been for decades.

oumartin
10/17/2011, 08:03 PM
We're running back U? really?

IBleedCrimson
10/17/2011, 08:06 PM
It's amazing to me how every team is disrespected by the national media. I wonder if there's a fanbase out there that's ever said "Man, I'm pretty happy about how our team gets covered."

lol thats exactly what i always think when these "respect" issues get brought up

FirstandGoal
10/17/2011, 08:10 PM
So I gotta come home at the end of a long day and see a thread with a title like this?

Seriously??

Sooner95
10/17/2011, 08:21 PM
I'm not worried about it. If we win every game in front of us, we will be the 2011 National Champions.

BudSooner
10/17/2011, 08:26 PM
I don't give a rats *** about what the media says, win 'em all by a bunch and the herd WILL get sorted out.

Something to keep in mind when pondering this........there is only ONE Oklahoma!

70sooner
10/17/2011, 08:28 PM
I am a homer, but when you come out flat like we did with MU and KU, it does leave doubt. Did we turn it on in the second half, hell yes we did. But can we play a weak first half against a LSU or Bama, or even OSU and come back and win?
We have to get the red zone points, all of them.

Bama was only up 17-7 over Ole Miss at the half and I certainly would not call that overpowering by any means....

one could say if they came out like that against OU, could they come back?

BigTip
10/17/2011, 08:33 PM
I think a few of you are taking my post the wrong way. The reason I love the "disrespect" is because it keeps our boys focused. In previous title runs they had the attitude that nobody could beat them and all they had to do is show up on the field and they will win. Now, the public view is that the Sooners are good just not on the level of Bama or LSU. I believe that OU can beat any team, anywhere, anytime and simply can't wait to stuff it down the throats of an SEC team.

I get what you are saying and there are some valid points. The team members read the papers. Who knows what motivates our boys. Every little bit helps.

Soonerfan88
10/17/2011, 08:36 PM
So I gotta come home at the end of a long day and see a thread with a title like this?

Seriously??

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/stevilew/OUCake.jpg

Happy Belated Birthday, F&G! Put your feet up and relax, don't mind these folks. :smile:

BigTip
10/17/2011, 08:36 PM
Bama was only up 17-7 over Ole Miss at the half and I certainly would not call that overpowering by any means....

one could say if they came out like that against OU, could they come back?

That was also the score at the half of the lsu-tennessee game

BigTip
10/17/2011, 08:39 PM
The only comment that has truly pissed me off came during our game Saturday when one of the announcers called our running backs "SEC-esque."

My neck snapped around when I thought I heard that. "He did not just say that"

Iam4OUru
10/17/2011, 08:46 PM
My neck snapped around when I thought I heard that. "He did not just say that"

Thank the Lord that our qb is not "SEC-esque".

CrimsonRez
10/17/2011, 08:52 PM
^ this

rock on sooner
10/17/2011, 08:53 PM
Obviously, we have to accept the fact that ESPN/ABC/CBS will hype the SEC until Boomer and Sooner come home with the
crystal ball AND OUr team does it again next year. Just win, baby, just win. (And I wasn't an Al Davis fan.)

silverwheels
10/17/2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, until the SEC is dethroned, they deserve to be hyped. And I don't see their reign ending this year, not when they will have home field advantage in the BCS title game.

VA Sooner
10/17/2011, 09:18 PM
Need the disrespect to keep the boys from getting too cocky... but can't afford to slip behind Wisconsin or Boise State... then there's no climbing out because of their schedules.

Jacie
10/17/2011, 09:22 PM

Did the Sooners play a weak half against sa*et?

The hype machine was in full swing before that game, so much that it made you wonder why OU was a 10-point favorite.

I did not expect them to do to KU what state did, 56 points in the first half. The cowboys are trying to prove they belong in the Top 5 and think they have to come out jacked up no matter the level of competition. Sooners have been there enough to know better.

Something tells me Oklahoma won't come out flat against KSU or OSU or whoever they play in a bowl game . . .

oudavid1
10/17/2011, 10:01 PM
I stopped caring when I realized the world actually dosnt revolve around Oklahoma Football.

IBleedCrimson
10/17/2011, 10:07 PM
it doesn't?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/18/2011, 12:27 AM
I stopped caring when I realized the world actually dosnt revolve around Oklahoma Football.you DID NOT say that!

Sooner Cal
10/18/2011, 12:42 AM
FSU and UT were big games. MU and KU were lucky to get us the week after those games. A 12 game season is a long time to stay peaked. We just need to peak for the right games. Right mown that looks to be KSU, A&M and OSU. We'd love to drub everyone, but all we need is to win.

I like our leadership. Travis and Landry know what needs to be done to win. On an off night LJ had stats and points that 99% of college Qbs would dream to have. How many defensive leaders can get their units to shut out an opponent, no pints, no first downs, in the second half after playing poorly in the first half. These guys just get it done.

King Barry's Back
10/18/2011, 01:10 AM

Awesome quote, frozen. That hits the nail on the head.

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2011, 01:17 AM
I remember going to KC in 2003 for the Big 12 Championship against Kansas State.

The media leading into that game was saying OU was the greatest team ever! we lost 35-7

We go to the BCS title game and play LSU...we lose.

I remember people saying OU was going to beat USC since USC didnt play anyone all year. We know the result, even though officially it never happened now.

The point? Whenever the media starts hyping a team, they usually fall in love with the wrong team.

I remember going into the 2001 Orange Bowl against Florida State. OU didnt have the defense or the speed to hang with FSU. FSUs defense was the toughest we have faced that year (which was probably correct).

We remember the result of that game too!

Again, the media falling in love with the wrogn team!

2002, The media was all over Miami U. Ohio State won.
2005 everyone was all over USC. Texass won.
2006 everyone was all over OSU. Florida won.
2007 everyone was all over OSU, LSU won.
2008 everyone was on Florida, they won.
2009 everyone was all over the McCoy Shipley lovefest. Bama won.
2010 everyone was all over the Auburn bandwagon, they won.

2 years out of the last 10 have the media been correct.

Yeah, Ill take the odds that if OU gets there, that they win...it will be one of the very few games that OU will be the underdog...and I dont think OU has ever lost when playing as the underdog since 1999.

Sooner_Tuf
10/18/2011, 01:34 AM
I stopped caring when I realized the world actually dosnt revolve around Oklahoma Football.

I've never heard a poke fan say that before, good for you.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/18/2011, 05:53 AM
based on strength of schedule and how all have played, I think the AP rankings have it right. And Wisconsin has a case to argue they should be rated higher.

And if we are honest with ourselves, our running game has not given reason to believe we have what it takes in the red zone against a top flight defense.

There is a long season ahead and things can change, but based on what I've seen so far, if we meet Bama or LSU I would expect a repeat of 2008 Florida. Our defense is better than 2008, offense is not as good

Lott's Bandana
10/18/2011, 08:08 AM

Actually, the ND message boards seem to understand and accept that they have traditionally been given a media fellate for a century.
When they get on a losing streak, they actually have threads that discuss the horrible potential of losing their media ****-buddy.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2011, 08:09 AM

This...The problem with thinking that the disrespect from our media is firing the OU team up is that every team, probably including texas, feels like the media disrespects them..So, it really doesn't give us an edge in anything

badger
10/18/2011, 08:55 AM
If you read as much media as I do, you'd find that every team gets disrespected by someone, and loved by someone. Yes, even Oklahoma State... I live around it here in Tulsa. I can tell you tons of crap about their crappy team that none of you care about, much like OSU fans stuck reading the Oklahoman could tell you tons of crap about OU that they don't care about. I could also tell you tons about the Tulsa team. They get lots of coverage here for some reason ;)

So, it goes both ways.

olevetonahill
10/18/2011, 09:16 AM
This...The problem with thinking that the disrespect from our media is firing the OU team up is that every team, probably including texas, feels like the media disrespects them..So, it really doesn't give us an edge in anything

Yea, But they REALLY hate us.:upset:

jkjsooner
10/18/2011, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't say we're being disrespected as much as I would say the media is blowing Bama and LSU. Afterall, we're getting more respect than the other undefeated teams. Stanford or Wisconsin aren't getting the love that we are.

Lott's Bandana
10/18/2011, 09:39 AM
The disrespect shown the team now is NOTHING like the universal disdain shown The King in his last few years coaching. He was portrayed as a slick, weasel-y criminal, and so was the team.

Some may argue they had it right, but regardless...it was pretty brutal.

bowfin
10/18/2011, 11:15 AM
SEC votes in lockstep with each other, as in the Solid South. I personally don't think LSU or Alabama could beat Oklahoma, unless you guys choke.

Believe it or not, since SEC has each other's back when it comes to polls, Missouri will probably do better in the polls if the go to the SEC than staying with the Texas teams who tend to dis their conference mates. I really believe Nebraska's split championship in 1997 came from the SEC voting AGAINST Michigan rather than FOR Nebraska, in retaliation for Charles Woodson beating out Peyton Manning for the Heisman