PDA

View Full Version : hey STEP

Partial Qualifier
10/17/2011, 09:20 AM
While watching the Pokes/Horns game I was wondering why a 28 year old would elect to stay in college one more year when his prospective "best days" as an NFL qb are probably already behind him. Seems kinda loser-ish.

What was the knock on Weeden's draftability last year?

NormanPride
10/17/2011, 09:25 AM
Old, poor mechanics from under center, not elite arm strength.

Breadburner
10/17/2011, 09:34 AM
He wasn't ready to stop playing football......:courage:

KantoSooner
10/17/2011, 09:37 AM
He wanted the opportunity to share the college experience with his children.

jumperstop
10/17/2011, 09:40 AM
He's not as good as everyone makes him out to be. Gets significant help from his receivers. Some might same the same thing about Landry, but I feel like he is consistently more accurate on long balls. Weeden overthrows/underthrows wide open recievers way too much...

Partial Qualifier
10/17/2011, 09:50 AM
He wasn't ready to stop playing football......:courage:

He wanted the opportunity to share the college experience with his children.

heh :)

rekamrettuB
10/17/2011, 09:52 AM
Old, poor mechanics from under center, not elite arm strength.

Poor or non existent? They don’t take their kneel down, victory formation from under center.

BigJerm7
10/17/2011, 10:31 AM
They said he was older than 15 starting qb's in the nfl.

Landthief 1972
10/17/2011, 11:08 AM
The guy could be getting valuable playing time that will serve him well as a coach later in life. I don't begrudge Weeden for continuing to play. I have regrets that I didn't take football more seriously in high school. Either he'll improve enough to get drafted, or he'll have great memories of playing at the college level on a pretty good OSU team.

King Barry's Back
10/17/2011, 11:15 AM
The guy could be getting valuable playing time that will serve him well as a coach later in life. I don't begrudge Weeden for continuing to play. I have regrets that I didn't take football more seriously in high school. Either he'll improve enough to get drafted, or he'll have great memories of playing at the college level on a pretty good OSU team.

I see that you are defending Weeden, but he wasn't really attacked. I don't think anybody thinks that it was a bad decision to stay another, it just looks really questionable for a 28 yr old to stay in school anymore than he absolutely has to - for the simple fact that his NFL days are going to be extremely limited due to nothing but his age.

If it looked like he wasn't going to make it in the draft by leaving last year, or maybe not even this year, then the reason for staying in beautiful, downtown Stillwater is clear enough.

Plus, isn't he already rich from baseball?

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/17/2011, 11:23 AM
i heard he stuck around to provide support for his newly born grandkids

Landthief 1972
10/17/2011, 11:30 AM
I see that you are defending Weeden, but he wasn't really attacked. I don't think anybody thinks that it was a bad decision to stay another, it just looks really questionable for a 28 yr old to stay in school anymore than he absolutely has to - for the simple fact that his NFL days are going to be extremely limited due to nothing but his age.

If it looked like he wasn't going to make it in the draft by leaving last year, or maybe not even this year, then the reason for staying in beautiful, downtown Stillwater is clear enough.

Not really defending, just offering a different perspective that I hadn't seen in the thread yet.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2011, 12:34 PM
I kept calling him Weinke on Saturday.

CarolinaSoonerFan
10/17/2011, 12:37 PM
I think it is because he didn't want to fail at two major sports so closely together.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2011, 01:53 PM
Not an arm strength issue at all.. I think it is an issue of whether he came
out last year or this year, he would get drafted in the same spot and he just wanted to play college ball another year..

Footwork is an issue..the safety against texas is an example..fades away from pressure when he could stand In the pocket...

Breadburner
10/17/2011, 02:02 PM
Not an arm strength issue at all.. I think it is an issue of whether he came
out last year or this year, he would get drafted in the same spot and he just wanted to play college ball another year..

Footwork is an issue..the safety against texas is an example..fades away from pressure when he could stand In the pocket...

He stepped out on purpose...He knew he was going to throw a pick 6.......:courage:

StoopTroup
10/17/2011, 02:42 PM
He's within the rules of playing. It's fun to give him static as an OU Fan....but at the end of the day...he's just getting to do what most folks don't. He's getting a chance to play at Div IA Level and at QB. Most people don't get the chance to do anything he's doing. I don't think he's all that great but Gumby seems to think he's the best QB oSu has ever had.

I don't see him in the NFL.

SoonerInFortSmith
10/17/2011, 03:24 PM
It doesn't take much to be the best QB they ever had. That's like me saying, "Mmm. This is the best chicken and textured processed plant fiber enchilada I ever had."

Partial Qualifier
10/17/2011, 03:33 PM
I don't see him in the NFL.

Evidently, he doesnt see himself in the NFL either

badger
10/17/2011, 03:36 PM

Hahahhahahahahahaha. Pro athletes don't stay rich forever, or at least not many do. The marginal minor leaguers that ended up back in college playing football instead of staying with the sport? No.

The problems I see with Weeden are mostly related to decision making with will absolutely KILL him at the pro level. If he panics against OU's defense at home in front of a mostly friendly orange crowd, he will be absolutely terrible with seasoned monster pros attacking from every angle at a higher speed in the pro atmosphere.

He throws way too many interceptions.

He has benefited from having a top receiver in Blackmon to bail out his bad decisions on occasion.

His team's record against top tier competition isn't great.

Who can forget that he once nearly fumbled away a home victory over a mid-major opponent... from the victory formation.

All of this is independent of his age... and when you take into account his age and experience that should come with it, he is a marginal pro prospect at best.

oumartin
10/17/2011, 03:53 PM
Traber thinks he's better than Romo

Of course Traber and Weden were childhood friends.

BigJerm7
10/17/2011, 03:59 PM
maybe we can get Archie Bradley in 8 years.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2011, 04:02 PM
He throws way too many interceptions.

He has benefited from having a top receiver
His team's record against top tier competition isn't great.

You just described Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan(minus a top receiver)...Honestly, I think he is a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick for someone wanting a quarterback to play immediately..

A couple of things about him positives/negatives:

Weeden's arm strength may be the best in college football...But he sails the ball on certain routes

Has to get in a rhythm..He really doesn't get out of it and then back in it as quickly as Jones..When he is on, he is way on..when he is off, it takes a while for him to get back on.

Gets a lot of passes knocked down...He drops the ball down below his chest too much and he is a ball tapper..both of those things need to be corrected.

Breadburner
10/17/2011, 04:05 PM
I figured him for a ball tapper.....Maybe even a sheep ball tapper.....

badger
10/17/2011, 04:13 PM
You just described Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan(minus a top receiver)...Honestly, I think he is a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick for someone wanting a quarterback to play immediately..

A couple of things about him positives/negatives:

Weeden's arm strength may be the best in college football...But he sails the ball on certain routes

Has to get in a rhythm..He really doesn't get out of it and then back in it as quickly as Jones..When he is on, he is way on..when he is off, it takes a while for him to get back on.

Gets a lot of passes knocked down...He drops the ball down below his chest too much and he is a ball tapper..both of those things need to be corrected.

You're right, and you should be, scout dude :D

I was highly skeptical of Matty Ice and Stafford succeeding in the Neffel, yet they've had some positives since their arrival... maybe not good enough to be Packer quarterbacks, but sure, go ahead and toss around a ball in Detroit or Atlanta, dudes :D

Sooooo...

1- How much does age impact an NFL team's decision to draft?

2- A lot of teams no longer seem to shy away from drafting the stud positions (WR, QB) early, as they may have before the rookie scale. Do you foresee even more WR's and QB's being drafted early this upcoming draft because of that?

3- How much does passing on Brady till a late round haunt NFL general managers and others to this day, and does that impact how they look at BCS conference starting senior quarterbacks?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2011, 04:47 PM
1- How much does age impact an NFL team's decision to draft?

2- A lot of teams no longer seem to shy away from drafting the stud positions (WR, QB) early, as they may have before the rookie scale. Do you foresee even more WR's and QB's being drafted early this upcoming draft because of that?

3- How much does passing on Brady till a late round haunt NFL general managers and others to this day, and does that impact how they look at BCS conference starting senior quarterbacks?

1. A lot..At the quarterback position especially..The problem is that quarterback play in the NFL is brutal IMO..You have a couple of studs and then a big middle pack and then the trailers...I could see Seattle taking him. Heck, I could see the Raiders picking him up.. Maybe KC, Denver...He isn't going to get a lot better, but I think he is good enough to play..Back 7-10 years ago, he is a 5th round-7thround pick..In today's game he is good enough to go early.

2. I tell you what I do see..I see teams giving up on these early round picks faster when they don't turn out..Guaranteeing a guy 50 mil will make you have to use him and give him a chance to develop.. Now that they aren't going to be handcuffed by salary, they'll let a guy go a lot quicker I bet.

3. No not really... How many of those "Next Tom Brady" picks have worked out? Lightning struck right for the Patriots, but it doesn't happen often..

badger
10/17/2011, 04:50 PM
I see that you got your vBookie working much like everyone else here at SF.com. Got it working reeeeeall well. Almost too well. vBookie is so vBankrupt :mad:

oudivesherpa
10/17/2011, 04:59 PM
Maybe Weeden just likes coeds.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2011, 05:01 PM
Maybe he loves being the real Paul Blake but Gundy is no Ed Gennero

sOUnder
10/17/2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe Weeden just likes coeds.

http://www.zacktaylor.ca/.a/6a00e54edfa92d8833014e6011bed9970c-800wi

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2011, 05:15 PM
I see that you got your vBookie working much like everyone else here at SF.com. Got it working reeeeeall well. Almost too well. vBookie is so vBankrupt :mad:

I just bet the house again..

badger
10/17/2011, 05:22 PM
I just bet the house again..

<sigh> you guys are getting uber competitive over this thing too, begging for bigger vPayouts on events so you can move up our dinky leaderboard and hoard more vCash, heh. maybe i should withhold meltdown threads till vBookie makes back some of the 600k that it is in the red.

Piware
10/17/2011, 06:05 PM
Weeden doesn't impress me at all. After watching some of the Pokes vs. Whorns game I was surprised at how he freaks out when a defender is in his face. I hadn't watched them this year but after all the media hype about the best OSU QB EVAR I just thought he was mediocre. Don't see him in the NFL - too little talent and too long in the tooth.

soonercastor
10/17/2011, 06:28 PM
He wanted the opportunity to share the college experience with his children.\

Holy **** LMAO. +rep

soonerman4life
10/17/2011, 08:19 PM
I don't think anybody can question his arm strength, he's definately got a strong arm. The problem I see is in his release and positioning the football prior to the release. He tends to hold the football too far away from his body as he's leaving from under center. With that, as he positions himself into his release he has a tendency to not completely roll the shoulders with his follow through. That may have something to do with the over throws on certain routes that the eternal pimp refers to. I also don't think he's very quick on his release at times. All of those things should be correctable but time is not on his side. Those are also things LJ is very good at which make him much more draftable. Late 2nd round pick at best.

mdklatt
10/17/2011, 09:05 PM
He's not as good as everyone makes him out to be. Gets significant help from his receivers.

Exactly. It's the patented oSu Chuck It To Woods/Bryant/Blackmon Offense.

CowboyMRW
10/17/2011, 09:16 PM
Not this year. He's really going through his reads and progressions. Look at how much the ball is being distributed around. It's not just Blackmon. His numbers are taking a hit, but he doesn't care. As long as we keep winning, that's all that matters.

VA Sooner
10/17/2011, 09:16 PM
Can't take the victory formation under center... bad for his back so he has to stand and take the shotgun snap. Damn that rheumatism.

Sooners78
10/18/2011, 09:26 AM
Does he have his degree yet? If his NFL days are numbered, it would be wise to get that degree now while it's still a free ride.

Cantstandya
10/18/2011, 09:40 AM
Poor or non existent? They don’t take their kneel down, victory formation from under center.

I heard from a poke fan that he has an issue with his left thumb and has since last year, which is why he doesn't take snaps under center...