PDA

View Full Version : I hate astroturf

GottaHavePride
10/16/2011, 10:19 AM
Seriously. I'm not making excuses for our guys, because we looked like a hot mess last night. BUT, I think it might have been a bit of a factor that this was our first game on turf this season, and a field with no crown. (And Landry was STILL throwing high even though a flat field means the receivers would be more elevated than he's used to. Overcorrection, maybe?)

Also, WAY too many injuries generated by damn turf. I thought for sure Stills' knee was toast the way he came up after that play. And landing on that stuff, you might as well be tackling on concrete. I'm not a fan.

CrimsonRez
10/16/2011, 11:46 AM
That field isn't astroturf, it is field turf. It is much softer than the old astroturf and now that you bring it up it is softer than grass.

SoonerInFortSmith
10/16/2011, 12:25 PM
Softer than old turf? Yes. Softer than grass? No. We aren't talking about the grass around the swings at a city park. The stuff at Owen Field or any other D1 football field is softer. The dirt underneath is layered for optimal drainage which gives it a much softer feel.

Breadburner
10/16/2011, 12:28 PM
Its pretty friggen soft....Nothing like astroturf.....

cleller
10/16/2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, and it used to make that TV announcer (was that Jesse Palmer?) stick to the sheets.

delhalew
10/16/2011, 12:41 PM
I've always hated turf of all kinds. I wish everyone used grass. It seems like every time we go to a big bowl, we have a rash of slips and even a higher rate of knee injury.

CrimsonRez
10/16/2011, 12:53 PM
idk...fieldturf has a soft bad that goes under the grass as well as the grounded up rubber

oudavid1
10/16/2011, 12:53 PM
Astrotruf is dead and THANK GOD IT IS!

Soonermagik
10/16/2011, 05:45 PM
I read an article the other day where Reggie Bush said he was glad he was leaving the saints due to the turf. He implied his durability issues were due to the home turf.

The Profit
10/16/2011, 06:10 PM
The artificial turf played on today is consistently softer than most natural grass fields. The shock attenuation gMAX of the sand-based natural grass at Owen Field is approximately 120, while the shock attenuation (gMAX) of a infilled synthetic turf system is approximately 110. Also, today's synthetic turf fields are installed over a relatively flat compacted crushed stone base (1/2 percent or 6 inches for a crown). The crown of nearly every infilled sythetic turf field is much less than an average natural grass field, including Owen Field. One other thing; there is no pad system under most synthetic turf systems. The shock attenuation comes from a mixture of 20-40 mesh rounded silica and .5 mm rubber granulate.

oumartin
10/16/2011, 06:45 PM
Astroturf? What is this 1975?

SoonerJack
10/16/2011, 07:14 PM
Fellers, AstroTurf makes one of the best brands of "field turf" on the market. Granted, a lot of people think of AstroTurf of old, which was basically carpet over astroturf, but the stuff they are putting down now is very nice. They did our three high school fields and they are awesome.

GottaHavePride
10/16/2011, 07:56 PM
I don't give a crap what it's called. Fake grass = astroturf. I've been on the old crap, the new crap, and well-tended grass fields, and hell yes there's a big difference. If it's not real grass, it sucks balls.

silverwheels
10/16/2011, 08:16 PM
Do you smoke grass out in space, Bowie?
Or do they smoke astro-turf?

bluedogok
10/18/2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah, and it used to make that TV announcer (was that Jesse Palmer?) stick to the sheets.
I think it was Damon Huard, former Washington Husky QB. He knew all too well about the old fashioned Astroturf since they had it at Husky Stadium when he played.

Breadburner
10/18/2011, 10:41 PM
The old **** was at TT not to long ago....

soonerboy_odanorth
10/18/2011, 10:50 PM
KSU has field turf.

Iowa has a city named Waterloo that I have to drive through to get to Manhatten, KS.

Coincidence? I think not...

silverwheels
10/18/2011, 11:12 PM
The old **** was at TT not to long ago....

Yeah, they still had it in 2005 when the refs screwed us over out there, then switched to FieldTurf the next year. Seems like they were one of the last turf schools to make the switch.