PDA

View Full Version : Do Sooners really like Hideaway?

cleller
10/16/2011, 08:36 AM
I remember in the fall of 1980, my freshman year at OU, Hideaway opened up a new place over near Lindsey and Jenkins. Passed out flyers everywhere. There was no interest in the place, some people said it was apparently big in Stillwater. One of the guys on my floor in Walker came back one night, having eaten there and remarked, "That is some nasty pizza". The place closed pretty quick.

After college I moved to Tulsa, and was there when Hideaway made its assault. Everyone seemed to like it, my wife and daughter included. I tried hard to develop a taste for it, but never could. I still think it is awful, for the most part. The new thin crust is a little better, and the garlic/oil sauce may be better than that sickening red sauce they slather over everything from pizza to lasagna.

I freely admit the restaurants are well run places, with good people. That softens the blow.

So anyway, do you embrace the Stillwater pizza, or despise it?

Midtowner
10/16/2011, 08:53 AM
I go to the downtown OKC restaurant probably once or twice a month with friends. It's cheap and they have board games.

--I'll p0wn your *** at penté.

JohnnyMack
10/16/2011, 09:45 AM
I think Hideaway is pretty good pizza. Their restaurants are perpetually staffed by teenagers and twentysomethings who have the collective awareness of a sack of rocks though.

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2011, 11:06 AM
I had a The Boz the other day.

Good pies, nice Campus Corner location.

Hideaway >>>> Pizza Shuttle

Petro-Sooner
10/16/2011, 12:06 PM
The Boz is good! Don't eat there often but I like it

cleller
10/16/2011, 12:15 PM
Hmmm. For awhile there I actually kinda liked The Boz, but it wore off.

Now Pizza Shuttle opened about a year after the Hideaway bust, if I remember right. It was an instant hit. I haven't had one since about 1983 or so, but loved it back in those days. My daughter was a fan during her days at OU, yet now she also likes Hideaway.

I'm starting to conclude that I'm still just a bland, picky eater.

Gimme a Greek House platter, or some Pinocchio's bread sticks, those were the days.

Boomer.....
10/16/2011, 12:20 PM
Hideaway is allsome. Paradise Pie is the way to go.

C&CDean
10/16/2011, 12:27 PM
I ain't eating that aggie ****. Especially when there's NY Pizza right around the corner, and Sandro's over on Main. And Othello's even closer. And Toto's.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/16/2011, 12:47 PM
I like it on occasion, but it's pretty expensive. They're proud of it, for sure.

Has anyone had Marco's pizza? I've heard good things.

batonrougesooner
10/16/2011, 12:59 PM
I like it. Couldn't care less if they're from Stillwater.

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2011, 05:00 PM
I like that you can order online, as other places do.

Their online menu for Norman is different from the menu selection from the Home Page. There are 1/2 dozen new pies to select from, as well as the old standbys.

I just got The Cimarron and I liked it much better than The Boz. I added onions, arti hearts and fresh basil from my own plant. Good stuff.

Zin
10/16/2011, 05:53 PM
The only place to ever make a good pizza was Crystals, all others range from edible to suck.

cleller
10/16/2011, 07:26 PM
Crystals, another blast from the past. That was pretty good stuff sometimes. Got a little tired of sitting in the cartoon theater with my little angel, but good memories.

allanace16
10/16/2011, 07:51 PM
I swear people look at me like I'm a moron when I talk about how much I miss Crystal's. Hideaway is just alright. Not worth the $ IMO, as well as it being an Ag thing. I'll just go to NYP or Toto's when it was still around. I've still never gone to JJ's though.

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2011, 08:44 PM
NYP and Toto's are still there.

Pricetag
10/16/2011, 10:38 PM
Has anyone had Marco's pizza? I've heard good things.
It's good. If you ask, they doctor up the crust with garlic butter and parmesan, and it's good. They also have two different types of pepperoni, the nomal, and then "Old World," which is spicier.

47straight
10/16/2011, 10:44 PM
Hideaway is good. If you're against orange-based business, you folks need to stay the hell out of Pluckers, Rudy's, and Texadelphia, because every dollar there goes to a whorn.

But I wouldn't put Hideaway above the greatest cheap-campus-pizza I ever had, Krusty's! may it rest in peace.

allanace16
10/17/2011, 01:53 AM
My phrasing wasn't the greatest. NYP is still there. Last time I went by Toto's, everything had been taken out of the restaurant portion and there was no furniture in the building. This was a couple months ago, about the time earlier this year that Othello's had closed and I was told Toto's was shutting down as well. Haven't been by either Othello's or Toto's since, though I know Othello's was supposed to get back up and running.

Boomer.....
10/17/2011, 07:16 AM
Othello's is going strong. I wonder what Patsy is doing now that his restaurant closed.

Dwight
10/17/2011, 07:27 AM
Pizza Shuttle

jumperstop
10/17/2011, 09:29 AM
There really isn't a pizza that I won't eat. I like Hideaway alright, my gf loves it so that's mainly the reason we go there. She's a poke grad though if that tells you anything.

yermom
10/17/2011, 09:40 AM
i've never been to the Stoolwater one, but i heard that they are still a separate entity slightly from the other locations and there are differences with the crusts, etc...

they have OU crap all over the Norman one, so it's not like they have Aggied up Campus Corner or something

Hideaway and NYPP are both pizza, but i wouldn't really compare them, they are just different

i also mourn the loss of Crusty's Pizza. that was the first pizza we ordered in the dorms :(

fwsooner22
10/17/2011, 09:46 AM
I had a Pizza Shuttle delivery every weeknight at 10:30. Never even called just got delivered at that time Monday thru Friday. It was always like $4.86 or something like that. Pepperoni and Mushroom. It wasn't special pizza but it was good.

jumperstop
10/17/2011, 09:51 AM
i've never been to the Stoolwater one, but i heard that they are still a separate entity slightly from the other locations and there are differences with the crusts, etc...

they have OU crap all over the Norman one, so it's not like they have Aggied up Campus Corner or something

Hideaway and NYPP are both pizza, but i wouldn't really compare them, they are just different

i also mourn the loss of Crusty's Pizza. that was the first pizza we ordered in the dorms :(

I believe they use a wood burning oven at the original in Stillwater. Been to both and the Stillwater one is like the one in Norman with all the **** on the walls, it's just less OSU oriented at the Stillwater location. It's more of an everything mural, kinda cool still. But honestly I can't tell a difference between the two pizzas. Maybe because they weren't side by side, but I like them both.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2011, 12:05 PM
I miss Pinocchio's in Stubbeman Village. I don't remember the pizza being out of this world, but they had those amazing big breadsticks that they would dunk in a vat of butter sauce. That always made for cheap eats when we went to Norman for workshops in junior high and high school.

Boomer.....
10/17/2011, 12:43 PM
Pinocchio's was allsome! They had a good burger and fries also.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2011, 01:13 PM

i also mourn the loss of Crusty's Pizza. that was the first pizza we ordered in the dorms :(I had to go to stoolwater for a conference a few years ago. I had lunch at the original one. They had more of a lunch selection than the others. You could get more of a mini pizza instead of a small. That was a plus.

sooneron
10/17/2011, 01:37 PM
Orin's was better than Hideaway back in the day...
Shuttle is only good if you're drunk.
Vito's was pretty good. I haven't had NYP. I wasn't overly impressed with Hideaway.

sooneron
10/17/2011, 01:38 PM
I miss Pinocchio's in Stubbeman Village. I don't remember the pizza being out of this world, but they had those amazing big breadsticks that they would dunk in a vat of butter sauce. That always made for cheap eats when we went to Norman for workshops in junior high and high school.

I can get you the recipe... :D

sooneron
10/17/2011, 01:45 PM
double batch. I started with two cups of warm water, two packets of active dry yeast, 4 tsp of sugar, 3 tsp of salt, and 1/4 cup of oil.After mixing the ingredients with a wire wisk, I waited six minutes.I then added six cups of flour and started mixing.Good dough will let you put your fingers in and pull them out, leaving finger holes. If you have hairy fingers, please don't do this.Let rise few hoursI punched the dough and let it fall. This produces a really cool smell.Since this was a double batch, I took half the dough onto the cutting board.Going the other way with the rolling pin, I made it a consistent half-inch thick.I then reached under one side to begin folding.Folding the dough into three even layers creates pockets for air and makes the final breadsticks fluffier. ...three layers, as even as they can be.Again, I rolled the dough flat.I try to get it as flat as possible without squeezing the layers apart.I then used a brush to spread milk across the top.The important thing is to get the milk even...no puddles...no bare spots.It's important to spread the seeds as evenly as possible over the topUsing a greased cookie sheet, I placed 18 breadsticks in three rows. I'm now going to clean up while they rise (2-3 hours)This is the finished product after cooking at 450 for six minutes.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2011, 09:22 PM
double batch. I started with two cups of warm water, two packets of active dry yeast, 4 tsp of sugar, 3 tsp of salt, and 1/4 cup of oil.After mixing the ingredients with a wire wisk, I waited six minutes.I then added six cups of flour and started mixing.Good dough will let you put your fingers in and pull them out, leaving finger holes. If you have hairy fingers, please don't do this.Let rise few hoursI punched the dough and let it fall. This produces a really cool smell.Since this was a double batch, I took half the dough onto the cutting board.Going the other way with the rolling pin, I made it a consistent half-inch thick.I then reached under one side to begin folding.Folding the dough into three even layers creates pockets for air and makes the final breadsticks fluffier. ...three layers, as even as they can be.Again, I rolled the dough flat.I try to get it as flat as possible without squeezing the layers apart.I then used a brush to spread milk across the top.The important thing is to get the milk even...no puddles...no bare spots.It's important to spread the seeds as evenly as possible over the topUsing a greased cookie sheet, I placed 18 breadsticks in three rows. I'm now going to clean up while they rise (2-3 hours)This is the finished product after cooking at 450 for six minutes.Was the butter syrup just butter and garlic?

mgsooner
10/17/2011, 09:49 PM
Hideaway is good, but it is too damn expensive. Here in Tulsa these pseudo "upscale" pizza places like Savastano's and Gusano's are popping up in droves. Some of Savastano's large pizzas are like $27. Not exaggerating. To that I say this: IT'S FREAKING PIZZA.

CowboyMRW
10/17/2011, 10:06 PM
Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust FTW!

Seriously though, The Big Country is a really good pizza at Hideaway

silverwheels
10/17/2011, 10:39 PM
Hideaway is good, but it is too damn expensive. Here in Tulsa these pseudo "upscale" pizza places like Savastano's and Gusano's are popping up in droves. Some of Savastano's large pizzas are like $27. Not exaggerating. To that I say this: IT'S FREAKING PIZZA.

Food costs are going up, and upscale pizza joints are using more expensive ingredients. Hell, I could make a 12" pizza that would run for about $30 just because of the ingredients.

Also, I like Hideaway.

sooneron
10/17/2011, 10:50 PM
Was the butter syrup just butter and garlic?

Yep, from what I've heard. I haven't made them. This came from the "you know you're from Norman" group on Fb.

Taxman71
10/18/2011, 09:38 AM
Been wanting to try both Sandro's on Main and Meme's on Chatauqua. I know, NY vs. Chicago style..

cleller
10/18/2011, 12:23 PM
double batch. I started with two cups of warm water, two packets of active dry yeast, 4 tsp of sugar, 3 tsp of salt, and 1/4 cup of oil.After mixing the ingredients with a wire wisk, I waited six minutes.I then added six cups of flour and started mixing.Good dough will let you put your fingers in and pull them out, leaving finger holes. If you have hairy fingers, please don't do this.Let rise few hoursI punched the dough and let it fall. This produces a really cool smell.Since this was a double batch, I took half the dough onto the cutting board.Going the other way with the rolling pin, I made it a consistent half-inch thick.I then reached under one side to begin folding.Folding the dough into three even layers creates pockets for air and makes the final breadsticks fluffier. ...three layers, as even as they can be.Again, I rolled the dough flat.I try to get it as flat as possible without squeezing the layers apart.I then used a brush to spread milk across the top.The important thing is to get the milk even...no puddles...no bare spots.It's important to spread the seeds as evenly as possible over the topUsing a greased cookie sheet, I placed 18 breadsticks in three rows. I'm now going to clean up while they rise (2-3 hours)This is the finished product after cooking at 450 for six minutes.

If I can ever remember to try and make these, and they are close to the old Pinocchios ones, I may be able to move up the date of my first bypass surgery.

Partial Qualifier
10/18/2011, 12:58 PM
Been wanting to try both Sandro's on Main and Meme's on Chatauqua. I know, NY vs. Chicago style..

I've been underwhelmed with Sandro's pizza. The owner is cool, the chicken dishes are pretty good, but the pizza's forgettable. Just my opinion. I'm curious to try Meme's too.

My favorite pizzas in Norman are Hideaway (any with their red sauce) and Pisa By The Slice (across the street from Sandro's).

Partial Qualifier
10/18/2011, 12:59 PM
And I'm gonna sound like a n00b but Louie's has a personal-size supreme pizza that's deelish with a beer or 4

yermom
10/18/2011, 01:00 PM
Sandro's is the dude from NYPP

the pizza was not much different that i could tell. i didn't try anything else.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/18/2011, 01:18 PM
And I'm gonna sound like a n00b but Louie's has a personal-size supreme pizza that's deelish with a beer or 4OMG NOOB! You probably still have not seen Office Space either.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/18/2011, 01:20 PM
I normally just get Papa Murphy's these days. Everything is fresh and it's pretty cheap.

Partial Qualifier
10/18/2011, 01:49 PM
OMG NOOB! You probably still have not seen Office Space either.

No but I have the DVD laying around somewhere :)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/18/2011, 02:02 PM
No but I have the DVD laying around somewhere :)Ok mister, I'm bringing some pizza and beer and making you watch the damn movie whether you like it or not!

Partial Qualifier
10/18/2011, 02:03 PM
sweet! ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/18/2011, 02:04 PM
sweet! ;)PEEM the address. It's on like Donkey Kong.

DCSooner
10/18/2011, 02:36 PM
Sandro's is the BOMB. I do like Hideaway though. Born and raised in Ponca, we would eat at the Stillwater one all of the time.

Jammin'
10/18/2011, 02:38 PM
I never had the one in Norman, but being from stoolwater i can say the following:

it's much better than the hideaway pizza they serve on western in okc. nothing at the hideaway on western reminds me of the one in stillwater. the salads aren't good, the fried mushrooms aren't as good and the pizza darn sure isn't.

the hideaway in stillwater was never meant to compete with the pizza shuttles of the world on the college campus. well, maybe it did the first few years but that ended quickly. certainly by '83 it was beyond being a cheap pizza for late night drunks.

I've had better pizza than hideaway, but I do like what they serve up in stillwater.

Boomer.....
10/18/2011, 02:51 PM
The mushroom caps at Hideaway are the bomb.com

OUTromBoNado
10/19/2011, 04:33 AM
Hideaway is one of the restaurants I miss most since moving out of OK. When I come back to visit family, I always try to hit Hideaway, Ron's Hamburgers, Rex's Chicken (not as good as back in the 90s), and Billy Simms BBQ.

Boomer.....
10/19/2011, 07:13 AM
There's still a Rex's chicken around?

C&CDean
10/19/2011, 07:14 AM
Hideaway is one of the restaurants I miss most since moving out of OK. When I come back to visit family, I always try to hit Hideaway, Ron's Hamburgers, Rex's Chicken (not as good as back in the 90s), and Billy Simms BBQ.

Damn, you really didn't get out much when you were in Norman, huh? Ron's is alright. The rest, not so much.

If I ever had to move away, the things I'd miss would be Greek House, Padthai, Penny Hill, and maybe Othello's. I already miss Denco's, the old IU, and Walter Mitty's.

yermom
10/19/2011, 07:18 AM
i've been cheating on Padthai lately

Thai Delight (formerly Thai Raja) is really good

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/19/2011, 07:32 AM
I have a Groupon for a Thai place in Norman, but I can't remember which one it is. I think it's Thai Basil.

This thread reminds me that I don't get to Norman often enough, except on gamedays. I really need to change that.

yermom
10/19/2011, 07:47 AM
Sweet Basil is also really good

hellogoodbye
10/19/2011, 08:06 AM
boz\bigcountry ftw

i miss godfathers, and chrystals

remember MYPI? the deepest of deep dish pizzas

Petro-Sooner
10/19/2011, 12:17 PM
Trying penny hill subs for the first time today. Good stuff!!