PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL initial BCS ranking thread

hotshot13422
10/16/2011, 02:30 AM
The selection show comes on at 7:15 tonight.

According to Travis Haney, Brad Edwards now expects OU to be number 1 in the initial rankings

Now ESPN's Brad Edwards expects Oklahoma to start at No. 1 in first BCS standings? Wow. Value of Kansas win?

ESPN's Brad Edwards projected BCS standings: 1-#Oklahoma 2-#Alabama 3-#LSU 4-#OklahomaState 5-#BoiseState 6-#Wisconsin. Start crabbin' now!

http://twitter.com/#!/ESPNCFB
http://twitter.com/#!/TravHaney

It becomes official tonight, let's see what happens. I'm personally expecting us to be number three.

soonerman4life
10/16/2011, 02:35 AM
I'm guessing #3 too. Although, don't the Sooners have more wins over higher ranked teams than bama and the tigers? I believe the computer rankings use the standing at the time the game was played (i.e., florida st #5 and tejas #10). I may be wrong though.

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 02:36 AM
So is third really any different than 1st or 2nd?

Winning out will land us at number one eventually.

soonerman4life
10/16/2011, 02:49 AM
Third's just as good. We win out and bama/lsu will take care of each other on Nov. 5 and we still play for NC.

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 02:54 AM
I don't see either of them playing for the National Title this year.

I know that's what everyone thinks will happen but I'm just not as sure. We could vary well lose a game too. It's tough winning out. We've seen years like this before....

I like our chances over LSU or Bama however.

soonerman4life
10/16/2011, 02:59 AM
Not so sure about that ST. i think bama wins out but I like our chances against them too. However, we must be able to do better in the redzone. I don't think field goals beat many teams in the NC.

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 03:07 AM
Not so sure about that ST. i think bama wins out but I like our chances against them too. However, we must be able to do better in the redzone. I don't think field goals beat many teams in the NC.

If you don't think there aren't bama and tigger fans that didn't about have a personal meltdown in the 1st half of their games today....you just aren't really understanding what's actually going on this year mid way through the Season. Injuries are piling up and it's taking a toll on Teams. How much? Well...not enough to take a Team like OU or Bama or LSU down with a KU, an Ole Miss or a Tennessee....but it's having an effect.

I don't blame you for not being sure as you like many of us have watched us struggle a bit the last few years. When Sam went out after losing Gresham....we knew it was gonna be rough. People thought we would beat KU like oSu did. We didn't go up to KU with a killer attitude....we just went up there to win and put another one in the books.

fadada1
10/16/2011, 06:55 AM
because we don't play in the SEC, we'll be ranked 10th. our SOS totally and completely sucks!!!!

on a more serious football note, while our win against fsu doesn't look as "nice" as it did 3 weeks ago... how about bama's win against the gators? i think they've managed a couple field goals since then.

AlbqSooner
10/16/2011, 07:09 AM
People thought we would beat KU like oSu did. We didn't go up to KU with a killer attitude....we just went up there to win and put another one in the books.

People thought oSu would beat tejas like we did. Oh well.

boomersooner28
10/16/2011, 08:20 AM
Getcha some. Boomer.

Shark Bait.

cleller
10/16/2011, 08:25 AM
Does OSU still have The World's Greatest Offense? That is probably included in the rankings.

FirstandGoal
10/16/2011, 09:18 AM
So is third really any different than 1st or 2nd?

Winning out will land us at number one eventually.

Very true.
One thing that comes to mind with this thought is that fourth or fifth isn't really much different either if Pokey or the Taters were to be ahead of us. Long as we are in the top 5, we control our own destiny.

MyT Oklahoma
10/16/2011, 10:29 AM
We always control our own destiny. Just win baby win. LOL

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 10:34 AM
I think OU will be #2 at worst...IF, there are no unforeseen changes in the polls/'puters today.

rock on sooner
10/16/2011, 10:53 AM
As to playing either LSU or Bama, we can handle LSU's offense and Landry would hurt their defense. Bama, on the other hand, has
two studs at running back...big, fast, strong...their QB is learning quickly. Our O-line would have to be healthy and at their best
to give Landry the two to four seconds he needs...it'll be a game for the ages!

JLEW1818
10/16/2011, 10:53 AM
my guess is #2

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 10:56 AM
Jerry Palm (collegeBCS.com) has it:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. LSU
4. Oklahoma St.
5. Boise St.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/16/2011, 10:58 AM
as long as Wisconsin doesn't pass us, we are OK.

JLEW1818
10/16/2011, 11:00 AM
as long as Wisconsin doesn't pass us, we are OK.

or Stanford

Sabanball
10/16/2011, 11:01 AM
My prediction, as you can see I agree with Brad Edwards:

1. OU
2. Bama
3. LSU

I don't care if we're no. 1 at all through the reg. season. In fact, I don't want that target on our backs right now. We've still got three big games left to play(LSU, Auburn, and the SECCG) and I think we play better when we're not at the top of the rankings.

delhalew
10/16/2011, 11:10 AM
Jerry Palm (collegeBCS.com) has it:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. LSU
4. Oklahoma St.
5. Boise St.

I hope Palm is right. I would prefer the media continue to slobber all over Bama for the rest of the season.

IronHorseSooner
10/16/2011, 11:18 AM
Having watched us in person last night, hearing the 'Bama game, and watching the LSU game, the common theme in all was it looked like at the beginning the higher ranked team was getting a decent shot from their overmatched (on paper) opponents. It also looked like they were all sleepwalking until the second halves. I don't think it matters much who is 1,2,3, or even four. Win out and play for it all.

CowboyMRW
10/16/2011, 11:33 AM
If his predictions are nice. The top 4 all control their own destiny. Very nice

sooner59
10/16/2011, 11:37 AM
Your pokes better not fall asleep in Columbia next week or they might get a scare. When their QB is on, they are sneaky tough. If he is off, you'll be fine.

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 11:44 AM
Same could be said for us.

GottaHavePride
10/16/2011, 11:54 AM
Same could be said for us.

Except that when our QB is off, we still win by 30.

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 12:17 PM
Except that when our QB is off, we still win by 30.

vs KU but not Mizery.

IronHorseSooner
10/16/2011, 12:25 PM
For us, the KU & MU games = sleepwalking after big games.

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 12:56 PM
I love stats...

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&div=IA&site=org

soonerinabilene
10/16/2011, 01:36 PM
If Brad Edwards predicts we will be #1, then its a safe bet we will be #1.

soonercastor
10/16/2011, 02:13 PM
we were #1 last year too, out of nowhere :mask:

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 02:47 PM
If Brad Edwards predicts we will be #1, then its a safe bet we will be #1.

I don't really care just so it's not LSWho.

Sabanball
10/16/2011, 02:54 PM
I love stats...

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&div=IA&site=org

Then you'll like this view better...

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=522&year=2011&week=7

Wishboned
10/16/2011, 04:35 PM
1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. OU
4. OSU

And you can take that to the bank.

MamaMia
10/16/2011, 07:20 PM
Is there a show on some network that we can watch about this this evening?

CowboyMRW
10/16/2011, 07:21 PM
ESPN. It's on now

BlownGP
10/16/2011, 07:22 PM
Then you'll like this view better...

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=522&year=2011&week=7

oh wow. Thats cool.Thanks

MamaMia
10/16/2011, 07:23 PM
Nevermind. Found it. Its 206 on Direct TV

CowboyMRW
10/16/2011, 07:30 PM
No big deal. Computers have us at #1 lol

merciles
10/16/2011, 07:31 PM
1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. OU
4. OSU

And you can take that to the bank.

^^^^^^^^^

yermom
10/16/2011, 07:32 PM
will be sweet to see those dreams crushed again :biggrin:

Soonerfan88
10/16/2011, 07:34 PM
will be sweet to see those dreams crushed again :biggrin:

+1000

CowboyMRW
10/16/2011, 07:35 PM
We shall see December 3rd. Shaping up to be an epic game. For whoever loses, it will be one of the greatest online meltdowns in their respective histories.

CowboyMRW
10/16/2011, 07:39 PM
The worst part about these rankings is that there are no sheep in Stillwater this weekend. Between beating Texas and being ranked so high, I can't find a single sheep in this town. :beaten:

cleller
10/16/2011, 07:44 PM
Just for extra proof:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20111016_92_0_Teiiil323309

Soonerfan88
10/16/2011, 07:46 PM
Skippy vs. Pony Boy -- at least it's a fair fight. smh

allanace16
10/16/2011, 07:47 PM
We shall see December 3rd. Shaping up to be an epic game. For whoever loses, it will be one of the greatest online meltdowns in their respective histories.

Just online? Hell, driving back from the KU game I gave one of my buddies chance odds that Stillwater doesn't make it through the night, regardless of the outcome. ****'s gonna be NUTS.

picasso
10/16/2011, 07:48 PM
Really? We've been there over many decades my man. Plus, this is more than likely your final realistic shot at Orange glory.

okiegirl
10/16/2011, 07:49 PM
/ugg Skippy...something inside me wants Peter Pan and NOT SKIPPY..he just makes me think /ugg... not sure why??

CowboyMRW
10/16/2011, 07:53 PM
I know that OU is a true blue blood in CFB and that OSU is very new to the scene, but with Gundy at the helm and Boone's dollars, I think we're here for the long haul.

Anywho, yes really. OU has a realistic chance at #8 this year, and to have that spoiled in the last game by your "little brother" who would then replace your spot in the MNC game, yes I would say that the meltdown would be historic.

picasso
10/16/2011, 07:57 PM
I know that OU is a true blue blood in CFB and that OSU is very new to the scene, but with Gundy at the helm and Boone's dollars, I think we're here for the long haul.

Anywho, yes really. OU has a realistic chance at #8 this year, and to have that spoiled in the last game by your "little brother" who would then replace your spot in the MNC game, yes I would say that the meltdown would be historic.
Well the internet BBS scene is really a little over a decade old so that's not really an epic scenario you envision there.
Also, Gundy is decent but he's luckier than **** that Weeden knocked on his door out of the blue one day. Otherwise you guys are a 4 loss team this season.

GottaHavePride
10/16/2011, 07:58 PM
OSU has to win out, first...

SoonerKnight
10/16/2011, 07:58 PM

First of all OSU has to find a defense that can hang! Second Our Defense it pretty damn good. They will be pumped for this game. Third if you polish a turd it's still a turd!! So Boones money and Gundy are still polishing turds!!

SoonerKnight
10/16/2011, 07:59 PM
OSU has to win out, first...

Talk about jumping sheeps without finishing!!

MamaMia
10/16/2011, 08:10 PM
No big deal. Computers have us at #1 lol Only because the computers don't consider your aroma.

instigator
10/16/2011, 08:14 PM
Since it no one posted the link, here is the top 10.

Is this saying the pokes are #1 by the computers. Seriously???

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/600877/linked/bcs1.png

delhalew
10/16/2011, 08:15 PM
Somebody post the point differential, please.

delhalew
10/16/2011, 08:16 PM
Since it no one posted the link, here is the top 10.

Is this saying the pokes are #1 by the computers.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/600877/linked/bcs1.png
Lmao. Thanks.

JLEW1818
10/16/2011, 08:18 PM
remember your first and last rank in the computers is thrown out, and the remaining 4 count.

missann
10/16/2011, 08:28 PM
Why do the computers hate Wisconsin? The Big Ten isn't that bad, in regards to ranked teams. Is it OOC opponents?

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 08:36 PM
OU has a realistic chance at #8 this year, and to have that spoiled in the last game by your "little brother" who would then replace your spot in the MNC game, yes I would say that the meltdown would be historic.

texSpaz got to go at it with Alabama and lost in the big game. There was no Epic Meltdown. Should Gumby get Pokie to the big show....the meltdown you should be worried about is if you were to lose the NC. It's the only one we've really had but with LSU we played OK, SUC...they cheated and it was hard to watch but there isn't a winner anymore for that year, at Florida....we played a College legend (The Tebow) and our guy Sam won the Heisman. We would have rather had a National Championship but you take what you are given and make the most of it. Another Heisman Winner didn't hurt us and it didn't hurt Sam's Pro Prospects. Again....no whining, no meltdown just disappointment. When you have played so many times for the Crystal Ball it's not a meltdown....it's disappointment.

For oSu...you guys have the best Team you have ever had and I know many of you feel like it's worthy of #4 in the BCS Status.....but I have a hard time justifying it. Why? I just go to this site....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls

They have you playing Oregon or Stanford in the BCS Fiesta Bowl. They have us yet again playing for all the marbles against Alabama. Sure you could have a Cinderella Season and end up playing for a BCS National Championship and the amount of coverage you'd be getting at that point would be justified as getting by us in stoolwater will be a feat worthy of the attention. Would it be a disappointment for us? Sure...we expect to beat you. For oSu....they are praying they beat us. Truth is...with the opportunity oSu is getting at playing us two straight years with one of their better teams in decades...it's almost seems like God might be just smiling on your Team by offering up such an opportunity. OU Fans will not melt down...they will merely realize that oSu finally got the deck stacked their way with the best Team Gundy has put together in his career. Then we will wait for January to watch as Gundy faces his most monumental game of his life/career and await the aftermath of the probable outcome.....that outcome IMHO will have oSu with a huge amount of Stunned Aggie moments for us to relish until we reload in 2012 and continue on with our winning ways and listening to aggie fans tell stories of what could have been if it hadn't been so windy or if they had had a few call go their way or if Blackmon had been on his game or if Weedeater wouldn't have been so old......

That's about how most of us see your meltdown happening....

If I was an aggie fan....I'd be worrying about beating Mizzou. As an OU Fan...I'm looking forward to the Tech Game in Norman and then turn my thinking towards giving Bill Snyder a reminder of why he retired.

GreenSooner
10/16/2011, 08:43 PM
Why do the computers hate Wisconsin? The Big Ten isn't that bad, in regards to ranked teams. Is it OOC opponents?

Like so much about the BCS, the computers are almost entirely arbitrary. Here (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/sports/ncaafootball/17score.html)'s a great article from last year about the computer rankings. The people responsible for running the computer "polls" tend to know a fair bit about football and next to nothing about computers and statistics. And they need to abide by the fairly random rules that the BCS demands of them (e.g. margin of victory cannot be a factor in their formulas). Bottom line: garbage in, garbage out.

The BCS relies on a very complicated formula whose very complexity is designed to hide the fact that the system simply cannot work anytime there are not two--and only two--undefeated (or, if no undefeateds are left, once defeated) teams.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/16/2011, 08:43 PM

Wisconsin had a non conference of UNLV, Oregon State, Northern Ill., and South Dakota...I feel no sympathy for teams that schedule like that and get left out..the combined record of those teams is 10-16

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 09:05 PM
Wisconsin had a non conference of UNLV, Oregon State, Northern Ill., and South Dakota...I feel no sympathy for teams that schedule like that and get left out..the combined record of those teams is 10-16

You know i don't disagree with a lot of what you say....

It's funny that with us...for months everyone in the nation was waiting on us to travel to FSU and when we went down there and won....as FSU lost a few games after that....suddenly we didn't schedule our Non-conference tough....lol

We all know it's BS. had FSU won that game against us....they could vary well be undefeated and be talking about how they are in the hunt for a NC. Games like we played there can change the Season Outcome for Teams like them. I really feel for them too as I think they have lots of talent and great Coaching although their Season seems to be off balance right now. I wish them well.

OklahomaTuba
10/16/2011, 09:08 PM
I, for one, am really hoping the aggots manage to win out with that terrible defense of theirs. Unfortunately I think mizzery will probably get to them first....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/16/2011, 09:11 PM
You know i don't disagree with a lot of what you say....

It's funny that with us...for months everyone in the nation was waiting on us to travel to FSU and when we went down there and won....as FSU lost a few games after that....suddenly we didn't schedule our Non-conference tough....lol

We all know it's BS. had FSU won that game against us....they could vary well be undefeated and be talking about how they are in the hunt for a NC. Games like we played there can change the Season Outcome for Teams like them. I really feel for them too as I think they have lots of talent and great Coaching although their Season seems to be off balance right now. I wish them well.

Here is where this not a comparison..Who did they schedule that was potentially good?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/16/2011, 09:15 PM
The worst part about these rankings is that there are no sheep in Stillwater this weekend. Between beating Texas and being ranked so high, I can't find a single sheep in this town. :beaten:Then, you'll have to bust down some doors, and break in on some of your neighbors to find the hidden ewes.

SoonerDood
10/16/2011, 09:20 PM
Northern Illinois lost to KU. UNLV and Oregon State lost to 1-AA teams. South Dakota is a 1-AA team. Wisky schedules as many cupcakes as the Almighty SEC.

Sabanball
10/16/2011, 09:20 PM
Whether we agree with it or not, the Nov. 5 Bama/LSU game and Bedlam are for all intensive purposes the BCS semi -finals.

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 09:26 PM
Whether we agree with it or not, the Nov. 5 Bama/LSU game and Bedlam are for all intensive purposes the BCS semi -finals.

As much as I hate to...I gotta pull for LSU vs Bammer. Ar-Kansas will take care of the whiners. Then, they all will have a loss. Not really so unrealistic, is it?

Sabanball
10/16/2011, 09:29 PM
Oh...and btw, are you guys paying Skip Bayless under the table?

Sabanball
10/16/2011, 09:30 PM
As much as I hate to...I gotta pull for LSU vs Bammer. Ar-Kansas will take care of the whiners. Then, they all will have a loss. Not really so unrealistic, is it?

Pull for them all you want, but dont bet any of your hard-earned money on them.:smile:

Soonerfan88
10/16/2011, 09:31 PM
We don't really like to admit it, but Skippy is from OKC. Occasionally, he does lean our way but for some reason really hates B. Stoops so often gives OU backhanded compliments.

His brother Rick is much more likeable. :)

missann
10/16/2011, 09:43 PM

So just for kicks, how would we match up against the Badgers?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/16/2011, 09:54 PM
Northern Illinois lost to KU. UNLV and Oregon State lost to 1-AA teams. South Dakota is a 1-AA team. Wisky schedules as many cupcakes as the Almighty SEC.

Yeah, it's not like one of those teams is really letting people down with surprising sucktitude...

8timechamps
10/16/2011, 10:05 PM
I got a chance to watch both the LSU/Tennessee game and the Bama/Ole Miss game. Both teams looked a lot like we did, on the road, against a team that wasn't given much of a shot. However, I will say that Bama looked the best out of the three. Ole Miss took a very early lead, then it was ALL Bama, ALL the time. They have the best running game in the country. They're the one team I would love to see in the National Title game (just because it would truly be a great game).

LSU is overhyped in my opinion. Their biggest win of the year is their Oregon victory. Oregon got all it could handle from ASU last night, a team that Illinois beat (and we learned that Illinois isn't that good). LSU is good, but I believe Bama will take care of them.

Wisconsin's biggest hurdle to overcome is that they play in a weak conference and didn't do themselves any favors with OOC scheduling. Michigan State may be the best out of the Big 10, either way I can't see either of those teams gaining ground.

Stanford kinda suffers from the same thing Whisky suffers from. Plus, there is a real possibility they get beat once or twice this year.

With Bama playing LSU, that leaves us and OSU. As Sabanball mentioned above, these two games may be the defacto national championship semi-finals.

AlboSooner
10/16/2011, 10:08 PM
Oh...and btw, are you guys paying Skip Bayless under the table?

It's been strange to see him on our bandwagon this year. Normally, he doesn't say anything nice about OU. He doesn't like Bob Stoops. Now which true OU fan doesn't like Stoops?!

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 10:14 PM
Here is where this not a comparison..Who did they schedule that was potentially good?
You lost me with that. Who is who?

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 10:17 PM
It's been strange to see him on our bandwagon this year. Normally, he doesn't say anything nice about OU. He doesn't like Bob Stoops. Now which true OU fan doesn't like Stoops?!

It isn't me. I went to a Mary Kay meeting just to meat Carol. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/16/2011, 10:19 PM
You lost me with that. Who is who?

Who did Wisconsin schedule that was going to be potentially good? I asked that when you compared their OOC with us getting no love for FSU not playing well now..

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 10:34 PM
Who did Wisconsin schedule that was going to be potentially good? I asked that when you compared their OOC with us getting no love for FSU not playing well now..

Nobody. Of course I don't think anyone is in the running for the NC except for Bama, LSU, Stanford and us. for me, Stanford is only in it if they go undefeated and beat Oregon. The pac12 isn't exactly the powerhouse they think they are. Oregon is good but unless a Team like Oregon gets a break between that early season loss and wins a Pac12 Championship Game to show they have improved and possibly surpassed LSU.

Even with all that Teams like Stanford and Wisconsin didn't schedule a FSU type of risk like we did. Had we scheduled the Citidel or Stephen F. Austin...we wouldn't deserve 3rd right now.

I give Stanford the OOC bump for scheduling Notre Dame. Even though it's a late game...Notre Dame I feel was going to be OK this year and by years end...they would be in a bowl. I might be wrong but Stanford wins out and LSU beats Bama and then drops to Arkie....Stanford should get a look if we beat abbie. It all just depends on who's undefeated as December creeps up on us all.

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 10:41 PM
So just for kicks, how would we match up against the Badgers?

Their running game is good and Wilson has kept them from being one-diminsional. Other than the Cornholers, they've played nobody. I think we could limit their rushing and force Wilson to score enough points to win. I doubt seriously he could. If the game were here in the Dome.....OU would be double-digit favs.

Iam4OUru
10/16/2011, 10:43 PM
Pull for them all you want, but dont bet any of your hard-earned money on them.:smile:

Hoping they win and thinking they will is two entirely different things. When it boils right down to it...I doubt seriously that I could root for 'em.

StoopTroup
10/17/2011, 01:19 AM
dupe

StoopTroup
10/17/2011, 01:20 AM
Their running game is good and Wilson has kept them from being one-diminsional. Other than the Cornholers, they've played nobody. I think we could limit their rushing and force Wilson to score enough points to win. I doubt seriously he could. If the game were here in the Dome.....OU would be double-digit favs.

We'd win just like we did against NU at jerry World last year.