PDA

View Full Version : Landry's worst game...

Soonerus
10/15/2011, 11:42 PM
Glad it came against KU...

3rdgensooner
10/15/2011, 11:45 PM
We're up by 23. As a fan, I'll take the victory. I'm sure the coaches have a list of concerns that they will deal with anon.

Soonerfan88
10/15/2011, 11:48 PM
...was in Lincoln in 2009.

Okie35
10/15/2011, 11:53 PM
...was in Lincoln in 2009.

I was about to mention that. That game was HELL.

Frozen Sooner
10/16/2011, 12:14 AM
Not even close to Landry's worst game.

I'm glad, as a program, we've progressed to the point of bitching about 30 point wins where a receiver breaks a national career record.

Obviously a sloppy game by the offense and a sloppy first half by the defense. Hey, we're bowl-eligible!

OUHOMER
10/16/2011, 12:17 AM
360 tds 3 td's , it's amazing what we are used too

Mazeppa
10/16/2011, 12:20 AM
Landry's typical red zone performance!

kevpks
10/16/2011, 12:26 AM
Hey, we're bowl-eligible! Yes. That was my goal for this program when I enrolled in 1998. It's nice that we've surpassed that.

Frozen Sooner
10/16/2011, 12:27 AM
Yes. That was my goal for this program when I enrolled in 1998. It's nice that we've surpassed that.

I remember back in 1992-1996 plotting out paths to bowl eligibility every year.

Memtig14
10/16/2011, 12:28 AM
360 tds 3 td's , it's amazing what we are used tooExcellent observation. We are soooooooooooo spoiled.

Memtig14
10/16/2011, 12:29 AM

I remember back to the '90s and was glad we could get 11 guys on the field.

Wishboned
10/16/2011, 12:30 AM

And wishing we had a quarterback who could throw for 360 yards and 3 touchdowns...in one game.

Frozen Sooner
10/16/2011, 12:30 AM
Oh, God. Remember the game pieces?

I remember when getting a first down AT ALL was unusual.

OU-HSV
10/16/2011, 12:31 AM
Landry's game tonight statistically wasn't bad. (the interception was terrible though, not sure what that was all about). But overall it's the redzone performance of the offense as a whole (and/or the playcalling in the redzone) that is most disappointing. Stalling and kicking field goals is not something we want to see happen against tougher teams.

Sidenote, did anyone else think Landry wasn't all there after his head hit the ground after that early redzone series? He never shows too much emotion, but even when they showed him with his helmet off he kinda looked dazed or zoned out more than normal

Frozen Sooner
10/16/2011, 12:31 AM
And wishing we had a quarterback who could throw for 360 yards and 3 touchdowns...in the conference schedule.

FTFY

FirstandGoal
10/16/2011, 12:40 AM
Its hard to explain exactly what was going on tonight.

At first things just weren't clicking and it seemed as if all of our receivers either fell down, dropped the ball, or flat out miscommunicated with Landry.
Then things started to settle in and we were motoring along as usual. Then again came a couple of inexplicable plays that stalled us out once more. As much as I love Landry, he's usually a lock for 1 or 2 WTF plays and tonight was no exception. He really should have had 2 picks instead of the one, but I'd still take him hands down over any other QB playing.

OU-HSV
10/16/2011, 12:46 AM
Its hard to explain exactly what was going on tonight.

At first things just weren't clicking and it seemed as if all of our receivers either fell down, dropped the ball, or flat out miscommunicated with Landry.
Then things started to settle in and we were motoring along as usual. Then again came a couple of inexplicable plays that stalled us out once more. As much as I love Landry, he's usually a lock for 1 or 2 WTF plays and tonight was no exception. He really should have had 2 picks instead of the one, but I'd still take him hands down over any other QB playing.I agree. Problem is we were totally spoiled with Sam, which when Landry has some unusually bad passes it makes us easily forget that Landry is still in the top tier of the best QBs in the country. I was talking to a buddy about this very thing a couple days ago...that it just seems like we need to get used to Landry having a hot streak and then having a couple WTF throws out of nowhere. That's just him. So let's hope from this point forward that his WTF throws don't happen at critical points in the game.

Neath a Western Sky
10/16/2011, 12:54 AM
I agree. Problem is we were totally spoiled with Sam, which when Landry has some unusually bad passes it makes us easily forget that Landry is still in the top tier of the best QBs in the country. I was talking to a buddy about this very thing a couple days ago...that it just seems like we need to get used to Landry having a hot streak and then having a couple WTF throws out of nowhere. That's just him. So let's hope from this point forward that his WTF throws don't happen at critical points in the game.

Great summation.

soonergirlNeugene
10/16/2011, 01:05 AM
Does anyone know how loud the stadium was tonight? I know...I just lol'd
But was that ever a factor tonight?

Soonerfan88
10/16/2011, 01:07 AM
IMO, Landry is just like Brett Favre. He has some WTF throws but he will also make lots of tremendous plays and lead his team to victory.

Okie35
10/16/2011, 01:09 AM
Does anyone know how loud the stadium was tonight? I know...I just lol'd
But was that ever a factor tonight?

The stadium sounded louder than I thought it would.

Mazeppa
10/16/2011, 01:09 AM
I agree. Problem is we were totally spoiled with Sam, which when Landry has some unusually bad passes it makes us easily forget that Landry is still in the top tier of the best QBs in the country. I was talking to a buddy about this very thing a couple days ago...that it just seems like we need to get used to Landry having a hot streak and then having a couple WTF throws out of nowhere. That's just him. So let's hope from this point forward that his WTF throws don't happen at critical points in the game.

Like when were are in the red zone?

OU-HSV
10/16/2011, 01:12 AM
Like when were are in the red zone?Well, yes...but I mean like when we're in the red zone against tougher opponents than Kansas, where we possibly won't be able to afford to play a red zone field goal kickathon type game. But I mean I'm having trouble figuring out if execution is the problem in the redzone or playcalling. So I don't put that all on Landry. But the couple throws that were off (the one too high then the one behind Millard), well obviously those were on Landry if that's what you're hinting at

FirstandGoal
10/16/2011, 01:14 AM
Like when were are in the red zone?
Actually, I don't recall recently where there have been any truly Landry WTF moments in the red zone. Whatever "it" is that's messing with our red zone game is, this is not it.

StoopTroup
10/16/2011, 01:23 AM
I think a lot of what some of you are feeling is that you think we should have beat KU worse than the 70 point shellacking oSu gave them and that since it didn't happen you are concerned we are going to lose some position in the BCS Polls and maybe even take some static from a co-worker that keeps sending you OUSucks emails......lol

We are the hunted and at the end of the Game we had held KU to 11 yards in the 2nd half and I think I heard they hadn't gotten a 1st down in the 2nd half too.

You can go out and find a Stat that makes Landry and our offense look like they should be in the WAC or MAC if you want to or you can go look at Bama, LSU, Stanford, lil brother and see that all of them had 1st half performances that weren't anything to put in the ESPN's highlight reels.

You can look at Wisconisn's day....they played great and never had any trouble with Kevin Wilson's Indiana. Next week they play the huskers though. We'll see how that goes for them.

We are 1/2 way through our Season now....we beat Mizzou this year and texSpaz and are on an 11 game win streak. We also defend our home streak this next weekend before heading up to another old nemesis of Bob's in Manhattan, KS. Once by Tech...we can start worrying about KSU. Matter of fact....if KU comes out playing like they did tonight next week when Snyder and his Team comes to Town....maybe we are playing a one loss KSU at Home when we go up there. Who knows? it's hard to go undefeated yet at week six we are right in the thick of it along with a whole bunch of other Teams that have some really big games ahead of them.

Hang in there

6 more games folks.

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

OU-HSV
10/16/2011, 01:28 AM
Correction Stoop, Wisc already beat the Huskers last weekend. I think you meant Michigan State right?

IronHorseSooner
10/16/2011, 01:55 AM
The stadium sounded louder than I thought it would.

I was there, and it was really loud.

PLaw
10/16/2011, 07:37 AM
Glad it came against KU...

Wow, I'm in Germany and didn't get to see the game. It's pretty good when a QB with 360+ and hitting 60% of his passes with 3 TD's has his worst game.

Has Landry moved the bar that far and if he doesn't have 400+, then it's a bad night.

It's good to be a SOONER - we sure have become spoiled.

BOOMER

AlbqSooner
10/16/2011, 07:47 AM
^^This

OU had a sometimes lackluster performance, won by 30, and we hear moaning and groaning from the fans. Amazing!

Aries
10/16/2011, 07:57 AM
I remember back to the '90s and was glad we could get 11 guys on the field.

A lot of times, we had 12... :-)

SoonerPride
10/16/2011, 11:09 AM
Problem is we were totally spoiled with Sam.

I remember Sam @ Iowa State and Colorado too.

He wasn't all world all the time.

Really.

NMSooner'80
10/16/2011, 03:19 PM
One number that has apparently gone unnoticed is this: 10,093. That's Landry's career passing yardage total in about 2 1/2 seasons as the starter.

FWIW, I also remember some horrific post-Texas showings by OU teams of my student era, including a 17-16 near disaster up there in Lawrence in 1978. KU that year won all of one game, too. They were within a successful two-point conversion with 0:15 left in the game from pulling the epic shocker of the era.

AlboSooner
10/16/2011, 03:46 PM
Landry is a great player and this is a great team. I think we have learned to appreciate LJ for who is he, regardless of what Bradford did here. I'm sure the coaches will address why OU can't punch the ball in the red zone, and why LJ sometimes throw intodouble coverage or why he throws right at opposing players. The Heisman competition is fierce this year, and LJ will get an invite if we are undefeated, but his chances of winning are slim.

EatLeadCommie
10/16/2011, 09:11 PM
The entire team was flat. I think it was pretty obvious that they didn't take their preparation for KU very seriously. They'll pull their heads out of their asses for the rest of the schedule, I hope.

hawaii 5-0
10/16/2011, 11:10 PM
The Sooners obviously didn't play with the accustomed to precision against KU.

I hope they see it as a wakeup call and learn from the mistakes.

It seemed Stills disappeared as a receiver when in the Red Zone. I kept waiting for the deep jump ball and let Kenny go up after it. Never happened.

5-0