PDA

View Full Version : NBA lockout

badger
10/14/2011, 04:30 PM
I have to think that the public will give them a collective yawn whenever they decide to come back.

NFL is football and football cannot be lived without.

NBA is basketball and basketball is something that people look to after football is over.

It would have been a travesty to much of America if the NFL lost regular season games.

The NBA loses two weeks of the regular season and might be out till after Christmas. America says "yawn."

In 1999, there wasn't a recession so the lockout was about everyone getting paid or whatever. Try making that argument to the concession stand workers, the waitresses at bars around stadiums and security guards that will get nothing along with the millionaire and billionaires that are staring each other down.

Sad and pathetic all around... kind of like what the NBA has turned into even when they aren't locked out.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/23/2011, 11:27 AM
The owners have my sympathy.

This is similar to the NHL's lost season. The NBA players' agreement has to be changed for the long-term health of the league. You can't have beachwarmers making 10 million/yr guaranteed while the team is losing money.

The players can act all self-righteous, but the martyrdom is for naught.

GrapevineSooner
10/23/2011, 11:51 AM
And just who do you think is handing out those hypothetical 10 million/yr guaranteed salaries?

That's right, the owners.

Though to be fair, the players are being dumb by not agreeing to a new deal. It took years for the NHL players to get back to the level they were at before the lockout in 2004-05 and the same thing will happen in the NBA.

Ton Loc
10/24/2011, 02:02 PM
Its the fault of the Owners and the players.

The owners need to be reminded that they bought a basketball team. No one buys a basketball team to make lots of money. You buy a team because you're super rich and its something that sets you apart from all the other super rich guys. There is no car, house, boat, suit, wife, painting that can compare to owning a sports team. It is hard to take them seriously when they talk about money problems after they just threw 55 million dollars to Joe f'n Johnson and/or gave James Posey 7 million to chill on the bench. . These guys are smart. They had to be to get to where they are in life now. But if they ran their other businesses like they run their teams many of them they would be bankrupt, fired, or worse. They need to be saved from themselves.

The players are dumb for not even trying to come up with new ideas or realizing they need to make some concessions to move forward. The player's are going to end up losing more and more the longer they let this drag on. Sending Kobe, Lebron, or whoever to the boardroom to bargain with the owners is about as good a plan as sending Stern and a couple of the owners to a 3 on 3 tournament vs the players.

The owners dont care if the season is cancelled. The players do but their actions certainly don't seem to show it. You would have thought that maybe the union and owners would have been working on this for the last two years because everyone knew where this was headed back then.

This sucks because the NBA just had one of their greatest seasons in a long time and we (Thunder) got to experience much of it. This season was going to be better than last year's and yet......whatever. Let me know if they're playing after the Super Bowl.

badger
10/28/2011, 05:57 PM
Now games canceled up through Nov. 30.

Apparently the players will all receive at least $100k as part of that escrow thing where players are guaranteed at least 57 percent and part of salaries is held back to ensure that everyone gets theirs. So, they won't be hurting for money just yet.

I hope everyone that was planning to invest in NBA games during November goes to college basketball games instead.

badger
11/3/2011, 12:33 PM
The players are gonna be the side to cave, aren't they? Going from 57 down to 53 and now 52.5, it's only a matter of time till they agree to do 50-50.

By then, however, the owners will be demanding something else to pizz em off :D

ouleaf
11/3/2011, 02:46 PM
Sad day the other day here in Dallas. Tuesday night would have been opening night for the Mavs and they could finally raise their championship banner....but alas the lockout has prevented this from happening. I've been to a couple Stars games in the AAC and it's sad that the Mavs banner still isn't up there where it belongs.

Breadburner
11/4/2011, 09:00 AM
I disagree...You dont buy a minor-leauge sports franchise to get rich but major-leauge sports are a big-time money maker........

ouleaf
11/4/2011, 09:12 AM
I disagree...You dont buy a minor-leauge sports franchise to get rich but major-leauge sports are a big-time money maker........ Pretty sure Cuban has lost money since taking over the Mavs with all those luxury tax fines on top of payroll.

Breadburner
11/4/2011, 10:41 AM
Pretty sure Cuban has lost money since taking over the Mavs with all those luxury tax fines on top of payroll.

Unlikely...The only NFL franchise to lose money in 2010 was the Lions....Not to mention the fact what did Cuban pay for the Mavs and what are they worth....If anyone thinks the only reason people purchase Major-League sports franchises is because they did for the love of the game...I have some swampland in AZ for sale cheap.....

badger
11/4/2011, 02:18 PM
Pretty sure Cuban has lost money since taking over the Mavs with all those luxury tax fines on top of payroll.

Nah... he's said in interviews that the bottom line is always a concern for owners and it has to be. I'm sure he's written those ref complaint fines in as business expenses to be funded via ticket sales or Mavs merchandise or letting Nash go to Phoenix or something :)

I have heard that franchise owners can tax writeoff the purchase price of a pro sports team over the course of 15 years or so, to the point that there's no reason to not own one. It's an expensive toy for the city, and a profitable toy for the owner.

In lockout related news, desertification talks are heating up (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2011-11-04/Divide-among-NBA-players-on-decertification/51072426/1). Hmm....

JLEW1818
11/9/2011, 12:44 PM
no NBA is fine with me. My Houston Rockets suck right now.

Another year of no rings for Lebron too.

badger
11/9/2011, 05:27 PM
no NBA is fine with me. My Houston Rockets suck right now.

Another year of no rings for Lebron too.

I hope this makes people love the college game again, players and fans alike. There were certainly quite a few NBA prospects that chose school this past offseason rather than pros because of the expected lockout.

Ton Loc
11/14/2011, 02:19 PM
Season probably over now as players reject current deal and go towards decertification.

:(

badger
11/14/2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah... I'm not sure how this is going to end. It's too bad because a lot of smaller market teams had tasted the postseason or at least more success than usual in recent seasons and this is going to hold em back.

Plus, there are probably going to be some more Shawn Kemps this time around... locked out for months, return tons heavier and outta shape

Ton Loc
11/14/2011, 05:17 PM
They should have decertified the day after the season was over. If the players are going to start this process, I hope they sack up and take it all the way to the extreme. Probably won't happen, but it would be interesting to see the outcome.

marfacowboy
11/15/2011, 07:15 PM
A bunch of millionaires fighting for more money while the average, hard working people, people that work in each franchise are screwed. I'm so sick of greedy rich people. How much is enough? Players or owners. All these lavish, Gilded Age lifestyles. They can all kiss my ***.

badger
11/15/2011, 08:00 PM
A bunch of millionaires fighting for more money while the average, hard working people, people that work in each franchise are screwed. I'm so sick of greedy rich people. How much is enough? Players or owners. All these lavish, Gilded Age lifestyles. They can all kiss my ***.

Players that have been overseas have said as much. NBA players get luxury hotels, private plane travel and don't have to worry about getting paid an entire season unlike the so-called sunnier pastures of Europe and Asia. If they think they're can find a league that is equal to the NBA elsewhere, I welcome them to leave.