PDA

View Full Version : Boise State stalling the Big East

soonerfromgeorgia
10/14/2011, 04:57 AM
Are they waiting on the Big 12 to call?

I'd really have no problem with the Bronco's other than the freaking blue field but it would have to be all sports, not a fan of these conferences doing football only.

If Mizzou stays and I feel they will, add Boise and South Florida and we are set at 12 and it spreads the conference footprint. Then when the Big East does collapse, you have options of going to 16 with the Cincinnati's, Louisville's, WVU's that will be looking for a home.

IronHorseSooner
10/14/2011, 06:04 AM
Replace USF with BYU and I agree.

badger
10/14/2011, 08:24 AM
NO TO BOISE!

If they ever suck at football (and Miami's move from Big East dominance to ACC mediocrity suggests it can happen to any program) then we would be STUCK WITH A SH!T TIER ACADEMIC INSTITUTION!

I know academics isn't as important as football, but if there isn't football, a school has to offer something to a conference... and they have NO other major sports to brag on, and their academics? SH!T TIER.

JudInKC
10/14/2011, 08:28 AM
I agree with IronHorse.

Add BYU and Boise and I am on board. No thanks to South Florida...

Boise has developed a national following because of their "underdog" storyline, no thanks to us. People would tune in to watch them play OU, Texas, OSU, Mizzou, KSU, and TCU every other week.

gwydion
10/14/2011, 08:37 AM
Boise has developed a national following because of their "underdog" storyline, no thanks to us. People would tune in to watch them play OU, Texas, OSU, Mizzou, KSU, and TCU every other week.

Everyone knows Boise plays a very weak schedule. Once they start playing the above mentioned teams will they be able to sustain their success or will they just become an occasional giant killer, win an unexpected game a season? If they can't sustain their success once they upgrade their opponents, do they still garner any interest on the national front. I would think not which would make them suspect as a potential Big XII member.

Neath a Western Sky
10/14/2011, 08:46 AM
Yes to BYU and Boise. Boise is a powerhouse and has been for years. They beat nearly every top team they play. I agree they need to play more of them (and I understand part of their challenge has been a lot of people don't WANT to play them), and that they would lose some of those games. Fine. Doesn't mean they'll go down in quality if they join the Big 12; they'll probably go up. They would be a tremendous addition to our conference in terms of football prestige, and another BCS contender.

sooneron
10/14/2011, 08:52 AM
That school is one step above vo teck. I'm not thrilled with taking them into the conference.... but, if we must, we must, I guess... Maybe the only good thing is that we'd have to watch our Sooners on that crap field once every 4 years- IF we get back to 12 teams...

BillyBall
10/14/2011, 09:00 AM
I know academics isn't as important as football

This quote is both unbelievably sad and true...

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 09:11 AM
Pathetic that we're even having to have these types of discussions. USF or Boise State. BYU or Boise State...or both.

Awful. "Leadership" has led us down this path to where some are talking themselves into thinking expanding to the TCUs and Boise States of the world is a good idea. It's awful.

As little as TCU adds, Boise State, unbelievably, brings even less to the table. The Idaho television market? Whoopee. Recruiting in Idaho? Academics?

Hey, people who were pounding your chests over trying to get into the "academically superior" Pac-12, look...our president who is so on board with academics may agree to pull the trigger with Boise State.

What a joke. The Big 12 is turning into a colossal suckfart supernova.

stoopified
10/14/2011, 09:11 AM
BSU does NOT want to play big boy football despite their protessts to the contrary. I would love to see the Broncos join the Big 12 but that would mean accepting 2-3 losses (at least) on a yearly basis.They won't do it for the same reason Peterson hasn't applied for a big name job; they know they have it good the way it is.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 09:22 AM
Petersen watched Koetter tank in Arizona and Hawkins implode at Colorado. I wonder if he watched his buddy Harsin against our defense last week?

hornswaggled
10/14/2011, 09:24 AM
Pathetic that we're even having to have these types of discussions. USF or Boise State. BYU or Boise State...or both.

Awful. "Leadership" has led us down this path to where some are talking themselves into thinking expanding to the TCUs and Boise States of the world is a good idea. It's awful.

As little as TCU adds, Boise State, unbelievably, brings even less to the table. The Idaho television market? Whoopee. Recruiting in Idaho? Academics?

Hey, people who were pounding your chests over trying to get into the "academically superior" Pac-12, look...our president who is so on board with academics may agree to pull the trigger with Boise State.

What a joke. The Big 12 is turning into a colossal suckfart supernova.

Maybe the master plan is to load up the conference with patsies and then leave to a better conference. That would leave our rivals in a position that they helped create: playing in the suckiest conference in America.

soonerboomer93
10/14/2011, 09:29 AM
Boise? wow, you ****ers are high

No, you're not high, that would be a down grade.

JFC, I can't believe you're see Boise as being a decent replacement for Nebraska, CU or even A$M

soonerboomer93
10/14/2011, 09:34 AM
Yes to BYU and Boise. Boise is a powerhouse and has been for years. They beat nearly every top team they play. I agree they need to play more of them (and I understand part of their challenge has been a lot of people don't WANT to play them), and that they would lose some of those games. Fine. Doesn't mean they'll go down in quality if they join the Big 12; they'll probably go up. They would be a tremendous addition to our conference in terms of football prestige, and another BCS contender.

Boise beats name teams, that aren't necessarily top teams when they play. Georgia was like 5-7 last year, but that game was a "battle of heavy weights" or some ****.

They also only have a couple games to prepare for. They prepare for their name ooc foe, and then who ever they think is their biggest threat in conference.

NathanStinson
10/14/2011, 09:35 AM
I had a weird dream last night. BSU joined the Big XII and I was watching a game there and the field was green.

EatLeadCommie
10/14/2011, 09:38 AM
If Mizzou stays, I think we are fine at 10 teams for the time being.

If we are to expand, I'd rather take two teams to the west or two teams to the east. I don't see any need to spread us from Florida to Idaho.

Boise would actually challenge in the Big East. That conference is now officially more of a joke than it was. Basically, it's all CUSA teams plus West Virginia. The teams they are thinking of adding are a MAC team (Temple) and more CUSA teams. Ridiculous. WVU should go independent like they used to be. I'd hate to be in their shoes right now.

sooner518
10/14/2011, 10:21 AM
http://smilepanic.com/wp-content/uploads/do_not_want13.jpg

EatLeadCommie
10/14/2011, 10:25 AM
^^ should be a potato in his hand rather than broccoli

Landthief 1972
10/14/2011, 10:31 AM
If Boise State gets invited, one of the provisos better be that their abortion of a field must be green, the way God intended a football field to be. Otherwise, I'll sue Boise for the vision loss I'm sure to suffer from by watching a game on that atrocity.

NormanPride
10/14/2011, 10:55 AM
What do you think will happen once they're invited? Do you think their recruiting will improve enough to hang with the big boys regularly? Look at Miami. When they were in the big east they had one or two games to prepare for, and they dominated. Now that they're in the ACC and have a few more, they suck. The exact same thing will happen with BSU if they go somewhere major.

Sure, they may be pretty good for five years or so. But a couple years in the middle of the Big 12 or wherever and out of the spotlight and all that work goes away. Then they get worse recruits, lose more, and sink to ****tyness. Then we have another ISU or Baylor on our hands, with terrible academics and no secondary athletics to speak of. Great fit!

LakeRat
10/14/2011, 11:15 AM
I like the thought of Boise vs Iowa State being on TV bc they would play on Thursday night. We may make that a requirement for them to come. Also, we lost Colorado who had fallen and wasn't getting back up.

NormanPride
10/14/2011, 11:24 AM
At least CU's basketball team was good for a nice season every once in awhile.

sooner KB
10/14/2011, 11:30 AM
For the people defending Boise State as a viable option for the conference, what is your response to NormanPride and those of us who think Boise will probably start to slip? It seems pretty obvious to me. And the thing is, they won't be able to bounce back like OU with Stoops or like Texas probably will, with their recruiting and what not.

Once Boise State starts to slip just a tiny bit, which is pretty much guaranteed to happen at least when they lose to us and probably at least one other school in their first couple years, I think it will be extremely difficult for them to rebound. They won't have that charm they once had of being the small school that makes in into a big boy game every once in a while. They will be just another Texas Tech. The media frenzy will die down.

So basically they will have lost that, they will be a school in the state of Idaho, playing in a very tiny stadium for a tiny fan base. There is just no way they get national recruits once they start to slip a little. And they will need to get national recruits since they are in Idaho. At least TCU is in the state of Texas, and has a decent enough fan base to build a newly renovated 50,000+ stadium.

And at least TCU is decent academically. At least they are a national university like the rest of the schools in the Big 12, and like most 1a schools. Note that Boise State is a "west regional" college. This is the same category that Cameron University in Lawton is in, just to put in perspective. These regional schools mostly just offer 4-year degrees, as opposed to "national universities" that offer graduate degrees as well as masters and phds. Boise State isn't even one of the top west regionals (they're 67th).

I think adding Boise would be a huge mistake. And just think about other sports like basketball. The only thing they have going is football. If that goes away, we are left with a little regional college in Idaho that has virtually no fan base that will bring around 15,000 to a game, are non-existent in other sports, is hard for fans to travel to, and bring in nothing money wise.

No thanks.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 11:53 AM
This is what the addition of TCU does, and the possible additions of Houston, SMU, BYU, USF, Boise State, etc. would do, for us:

http://www.fart-sounds.net/fart_sound_board.htm

badger
10/14/2011, 11:55 AM
I would not mind doing a revenge home-and-home with them, or 2-for-1 deal or whatever the athletic departments think is fair. I would NOT want to be stuck with a school that has football and nothing else, because inevitably, even the top schools for football have down years, and then what do they add to the conference?

1- There isn't a substantial alumni base for any Big 12 school up there, probably not even Texas.

2- Their stadium is tiny.

3- Their state not in good proximity to ANY of our current schools

4- Their state has a small population with no fertile recruiting grounds nearby to abuse.

5- Their academics suck

6- Their basketball programs suck

7- Their facilities are crap

The list goes on. Without football, Boise is NOTHING. We need to plan accordingly to add a school(s) that would add ANYthing should football not always be there.

badger
10/14/2011, 11:57 AM
This is what the addition of TCU does, and the possible additions of Houston, SMU, BYU, USF, Boise State, etc. would do, for us

TCU gives us a game every other year in Dallas, the distance doesn't make it too hard on fans or our minor teams to travel to and they have good football a majority of recent years. The other schools you name in that list don't offer all of that.

CarolinaSoonerFan
10/14/2011, 12:07 PM
Actually I see Boise State slipping a notch next year on they have to replace their QB. Then in a couple of years they might be back, but if they move to a BCS conf. they implode.

70sooner
10/14/2011, 12:07 PM
BYU and SDSU. Man, a trip out to San Diego evey other year or so and a foot into the So Cal recruiting area.

Seems like a winner to me, way more than BSU could ever possibly be....

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 12:12 PM
If we are going to add a school with this type of nonsense, just go with North Texas. Granted, North Texas doesn't win.

But....

-North Texas' new stadium is every bit as small as Boise State's.
-North Texas at least has an engineering school, is converting it's D.O. program to begin churning out M.D.s, will soon have a law school and a pharmacy school as well.
-The drive is much shorter than a drive to Boise.
-Dan McCarney, former Iowa State head coach, and Clint Bowen, former Kansas defensive coordinator, and well as former Kansas State, Colorado, and Nebraska assistants, who already know the Big 12.

In short, UNT has a better school and is closer to us and everyone else in the Big 12. Boise is going to suck in the Big 12 if they get an invite. Why not invite a school that already sucks, but has better academics and equal facilities already than Boise?

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kw16k3HGKo1qzhiqwo1_500.png

badger
10/14/2011, 12:17 PM
I know you are being funny, but I'll take the bait.

North Texas has not always sucked and it was actually suggested back in Baylor's suckier times, the early aughts, that they would provide a "meaner shade of green" on ESPN. So, it's possible.

But, I just don't see UT relenting on another Texas state addition. We're gonna need to look outside the lone star region to get another Big 12 school for now.

King Barry's Back
10/14/2011, 12:19 PM
I agree with IronHorse.

Add BYU and Boise and I am on board. No thanks to South Florida...

One way or another, they would lose the underdog status pretty quickly after joining the Big XII. First, they wouldn't be a mid-major anymore, they would be a Big XII team.

After that, they would either keep winning and establish themselves as a Big XII power broker (unlikely), and would come to be hated as overlord, like OU.

Or, they would start losing and be exposed as a mid-major success story due to soft scheduling (much more likely). And they would be hated as spreaders of a false gospel.

People would enjoy to see them go after the big dogs for a season or two, but after that, the love affair would be over.

King Barry's Back
10/14/2011, 12:24 PM
What do you think will happen once they're invited? Do you think their recruiting will improve enough to hang with the big boys regularly? Look at Miami. When they were in the big east they had one or two games to prepare for, and they dominated. Now that they're in the ACC and have a few more, they suck. The exact same thing will happen with BSU if they go somewhere major.

Sure, they may be pretty good for five years or so. But a couple years in the middle of the Big 12 or wherever and out of the spotlight and all that work goes away. Then they get worse recruits, lose more, and sink to ****tyness. Then we have another ISU or Baylor on our hands, with terrible academics and no secondary athletics to speak of. Great fit!

Don't they draw about 30k to their blue field games? This is not a Big XII team.

OUNASH
10/14/2011, 02:49 PM
If the Big XII will consider Louisville, Boise is not that far behind them. I really dont want either of them in the conference.

soonervegas
10/14/2011, 03:02 PM
Louisville is light years ahead as an option over Boise in my opinion. At least they bring a storied basketball program with them (and probably WVU).

If my choices are:

Boise/BYU or Louisville/WVU

It's Louisville/WVU in a landslide.

But my gut tells me we are 100% staying at 10 if Missouri stays.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:36 PM
Boise shouldn't even be an option for so many reasons:

- Small stadium and fan base
- Horrible academics, which means players who normally wouldn't qualify at a lot of places go there; that would most likely change with a move to a BCS conference, so they wouldn't get those kids anymore
- Distance from the nearest Big 12 school (BYU isn't coming, either)
- Terrible in every sport but football
- They're about to lose the best QB they've ever had and the guy behind him isn't nearly as good
- Just got hit with LOIC, so they're going to be in some rough water soon

So many other schools should be considered before Boise.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 03:54 PM
Boise shouldn't even be an option for so many reasons:

- Small stadium and fan base
- Horrible academics, which means players who normally wouldn't qualify at a lot of places go there; that would most likely change with a move to a BCS conference, so they wouldn't get those kids anymore
- Distance from the nearest Big 12 school (BYU isn't coming, either)
- Terrible in every sport but football
- They're about to lose the best QB they've ever had and the guy behind him isn't nearly as good
- Just got hit with LOIC, so they're going to be in some rough water soon

So many other schools should be considered before Boise.

Ah well, the Big 12 led the NCAA in violation last decade, so maybe Boise State is a good fit in the long run. I can see where the conference geniuses are taking this thing after all.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:58 PM
Would you go ahead and become an Alabama or LSU fan already?

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 04:11 PM
No. I'm a fan of acting like we are an elite school seeking the best conference. Jilted at the alter by the Pac-12, so on the rebound we're picking through anyone with a pulse. It's not good.

Look, this conference doesn't even have the balls to tell FOX, "Listen, nine teams, ten teams...what the hell difference does it make? Your two main breadwinners, OU and Texas, are still on board. We're not going to further dilute the strength of the conference with the remaining riff-raff just to get to 10. Just deal with the fact that each of the remaining nine will get more money and be glad OU's president doesn't have the sense enough to jump to the SEC."

NormanPride
10/14/2011, 04:12 PM
I'd rather have SDSU... They at least give us a new market and the potential for being good because of their proximity to recruits.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 04:23 PM
No. I'm a fan of acting like we are an elite school seeking the best conference. Jilted at the alter by the Pac-12, so on the rebound we're picking through anyone with a pulse. It's not good.

Look, this conference doesn't even have the balls to tell FOX, "Listen, nine teams, ten teams...what the hell difference does it make? Your two main breadwinners, OU and Texas, are still on board. We're not going to further dilute the strength of the conference with the remaining riff-raff just to get to 10. Just deal with the fact that each of the remaining nine will get more money and be glad OU's president doesn't have the sense enough to jump to the SEC."

Sounds to me like you're just a fan of the SEC. There are now 13 of those teams for you to cheer for.

SoonerKnight
10/14/2011, 04:46 PM
The stadium for BSU holds 33,500 why are we talking about them?

Breadburner
10/14/2011, 04:52 PM
It would be fun to *** rape them every year.....

soonercoop1
10/14/2011, 05:17 PM
They would have to get rid of the blue field to join the big boy club...

mOUse
10/14/2011, 06:02 PM
Didnt OSU and Iowa state only have a max capacity of 49K until recently? And when they joined the BIG12 the only thing they were good at was Wrestling and Basketball ocasionally. Heck, OSU had 1 winning season in the previous 12 before Les Miles got there and most of those years were 4wins or less. By the standards being set here, OSU and ISU wouldnt have been invited to the league either. But look at OSU now! And Boise would have a huge head start from where OSU started.
I think if they were to join the big12, yes they would be the least attended football school, but...given their track record in the last 5 years, they would contribute MORE than ISU or KU and Baylor combined in bowl monies, they could vastly improve their facilities with the extra income and thats the bottom line with the alignment - money unfortunately.
I disagree with some of you on the weak schedule: in the last 3 years they have played a minimum of 2 top 25 teams. They have won 2 BCS bowls, and lets face it...nobody wants to add them to their out of conference schedule! Why risk a loss to a non-BCS conference like Georgia, Oregon and Oregon St. did? And when they do face conference opponents, its always 50 point maulings.
If they came in to the Big12, I think they could do better overall and in recruiting than KU, ISU, Baylor and eventually TTU and hang with TCU in football and thats the money maker. Not BB, Wrestling, track or Baseball.
Besides, by this reasoning, TCU doesnt really bring alot to the table in other sports and they got right in. They just happen to recently spend 100M duckies on their stadium. Who's to say BSU wouldnt do the same?
Just thinkin out loud here...

cyclonesooner
10/14/2011, 06:14 PM
We need to offer Boise State on the condition they return to the green field. Would be a quality addition.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 06:24 PM
Didnt OSU and Iowa state only have a max capacity of 49K until recently? And when they joined the BIG12 the only thing they were good at was Wrestling and Basketball ocasionally. Heck, OSU had 1 winning season in the previous 12 before Les Miles got there and most of those years were 4wins or less. By the standards being set here, OSU and ISU wouldnt have been invited to the league either. But look at OSU now! And Boise would have a huge head start from where OSU started.
I think if they were to join the big12, yes they would be the least attended football school, but...given their track record in the last 5 years, they would contribute MORE than ISU or KU and Baylor combined in bowl monies, they could vastly improve their facilities with the extra income and thats the bottom line with the alignment - money unfortunately.
I disagree with some of you on the weak schedule: in the last 3 years they have played a minimum of 2 top 25 teams. They have won 2 BCS bowls, and lets face it...nobody wants to add them to their out of conference schedule! Why risk a loss to a non-BCS conference like Georgia, Oregon and Oregon St. did? And when they do face conference opponents, its always 50 point maulings.
If they came in to the Big12, I think they could do better overall and in recruiting than KU, ISU, Baylor and eventually TTU and hang with TCU in football and thats the money maker. Not BB, Wrestling, track or Baseball.
Besides, by this reasoning, TCU doesnt really bring alot to the table in other sports and they got right in. They just happen to recently spend 100M duckies on their stadium. Who's to say BSU wouldnt do the same?

A lot of kids that wouldn't qualify for the BCS programs out west go to Boise because it's easier for them to get in. I would think that they would not be allowed to keep those standards if admitted to a BCS conference.

There's many reasons the Pac-10 has never shown interest in Boise, and that's not changing any time soon. I don't see why the Big 12 should stoop that low, either.

sooner KB
10/14/2011, 06:41 PM

Not sure how they are doing this season, but last season they averaged 32,782 per game, which is 1,000 less than their capacity. Basically, they only have around 30,000 people that want to go to games, and that's when they are highly ranked. Once they get beat by us and Texas or OSU or whoever, that drops down to 20,000-25,000. They won't expand if the demand is not there.

And compare that to say, Louisville, who has a 50,000 stadium and actually sells it out. Stadium size and if they sell out in my opinion is the best way to evaluate a program, if you have to use just one factor. Shows how successful the team has been over a period of time, how big their fan base is, how loyal their fan base is, how much money their program has brought in, etc.

mOUse
10/14/2011, 07:38 PM
Kansas vs. Oklahoma State
Date: Nov 13, 1999 Site: Stillwater, Okla. Stadium: Lewis Field
Attendance: 39562

Texas Tech vs. Baylor
Date: Oct 23, 1999 Site: Waco, Texas Stadium: Floyd Casey Stadium
Attendance: 27815

Just sayin'

sooneron
10/14/2011, 07:53 PM
Kansas vs. Oklahoma State
Date: Nov 13, 1999 Site: Stillwater, Okla. Stadium: Lewis Field
Attendance: 39562

Texas Tech vs. Baylor
Date: Oct 23, 1999 Site: Waco, Texas Stadium: Floyd Casey Stadium
Attendance: 27815

Just sayin'
Ok, you're taking the lesser programs when they were bad. Why do we want more of that? Sadly, that's more people than what Boise draws or right around their numbers.

Holding up the worst and saying, "look we have small venues too" isn't really the justification for taking in more juco stadiums.

Add to the fact that they make Tech look like Yale, you still have a big NO.

mOUse
10/14/2011, 08:16 PM
Yes, winning programs grow. its inevitable. Right now playing Idaho St isnt a big incentive to grow your program and the conference monies dont even compare. The Big 12, even as bad as the TV contract is, probably gives the littlest of its schools double that of BSU. Include them, everything changes...facilities, recruiting...everything. They will be just as comitted to building and improving their program as the littlest schools of the Big12. IMO. I think they should begiven a chance.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 08:22 PM
There is no incentive for adding Boise other than their football program has won a lot of games since 2000. And they wouldn't replicate that success long term in a conference where they're at a disadvantage instead of an advantage.

badger
10/14/2011, 08:52 PM
The big buzz right now is here. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/big-east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee)

What isn't mentioned in the article, but was mentioned on Midnight Madness (my brewers are sucking and i needed a distraction) was if the four schools accepted (UH, SMU, AF and Boise) that the buyout would increase for the remaining Big East schools to $10 mil, not the $5 mil that TCU just paid.

8timechamps
10/14/2011, 09:31 PM
Boise beats name teams, that aren't necessarily top teams when they play. Georgia was like 5-7 last year, but that game was a "battle of heavy weights" or some ****.

They also only have a couple games to prepare for. They prepare for their name ooc foe, and then who ever they think is their biggest threat in conference.

THIS!

Boise is a one game a year team. They have the entire offseason to prepare to beat one "tough" team (in the case of this year, not even that). Then, they get 3 weeks to a month to prepare for a bowl opponent. They blow out all their crap competition, so there's usually very little risk of injury, as the starters are all sitting on the sidelines.

There's also a myth being sold that Boise will play anyone, but nobody will play them. I looked into this, and learned that the reason more teams won't play Boise is because Boise wants a home and home with whomever they play. No major program in the country is going to agree to a home game in Boise.

Once Boise lands in a conference that's capable of giving them real competition, the charade will be over. I don't want them in the Big XII for the exact reasons Badger listed. Once they fall, and they will, we'd be stuck with a crappy team and a crappy school.

No thanks.

soonerfromgeorgia
10/14/2011, 11:04 PM
Well everyone knows that the super conferences are coming and that the BigEast and the Big 12 are very shaky and the ones that are gonna get raped for teams. If 16 team conferences are coming, where else do you think we should get teams? Sec, ACC, big 10 and pac 12 teams are going to leave their stable situation for our confernce. The big 12 needs to be proactive on expansation.

You have to take the best of what is available. I can understand wanting the cadillac, but if all there is available is Kia's you have to pick out the best Kia before someone else does.

SoonerKnight
10/14/2011, 11:10 PM

I now want to nickname you Potato Head!!!!

mOUse
10/14/2011, 11:27 PM
Since 2008...TCU and UTAH were both absorbed by BCS conferences. Niether has played a tougher schedule as BSU. And niether beat Oregon at Oregon or Georgia AT the Georgiadome during the regular season. Lets face it..even in a down year, beating an SEC team at home is a difficult thing to do for anyone (by the way they will be bowl eligable this year, probably with 6 conference wins this year) Niether has beaten BSU head to head since 2008 and niether has outstanding secondary sports. Utah is good periodically in basketball, even though BSU finished ranked above both last year in basketball. They cant drag baseball down because they dont have that carriculum.
Bottom line...every argument you could make against BSU has been made against both TCU and UTAH...and yet there they are in our conference.

Oh, and the Pac12 HAS shown interest in BSU and for now just one sport is scheduled with the Pac12 - Wrestling. And if conferences get to 16 teams, FB will be next.
I get it. They are small and dont bring alot of anything else to the table... right now!...but then again why accept TCU or Utah to the Pac12?
I can see BSU commiting to a larger stadium, being invited by the Pac12 and improving their facilities. Yeah maybe only 50 thousand seats but thats more than Oregon State and Utah has right now.
Then i see them joining the Pac12 and the Big12 left regreting as they do home and home scheduling and BSU being much more competetive than you are giving them credit for today.

SoonerKnight
10/14/2011, 11:44 PM
Hold up a second. First the BigXII as a whole has a pretty good rep as far as being decent in bringing fans into the stadiums. OU, Saxet, A&M, Before they left Nebraska. Even some of the smaller schools like Missouri and TT bring in decent amount of fans. Boise is way the **** up there! They bring nothing to the Big XII that Louisville could not bring or West Virginia. I'd rather have those two schools then Boise trick play wonders!!

WA. Sooner
10/15/2011, 12:48 AM
If they want to be in the big league, they need to fix their little league facilities

hornswaggled
10/15/2011, 01:22 AM
Bob Stoops could take OU's best intramural team, coach them for a year, and he would beat Boise.

LASooner
10/15/2011, 01:38 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/34gvmfn.gif

NO!

Potato Aggies beat a better than average OU team who turned over the ball 5 times, by 1 point using 3 trick plays. That does not make them worth adding.

hornswaggled
10/15/2011, 02:31 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/34gvmfn.gif

NO!

Potato Aggies beat a better than average OU team who turned over the ball 5 times, by 1 point using 3 trick plays. That does not make them worth adding.

Even though they used more than 3 trick plays, your point is sustained: When a team is not good enough to beat an opponent with strength and speed, said team can win a timed contest by redirecting the opponents attention and passing them by unawares.

--
I post on SF.
I display my thoughts to all.
Excuse me. I think.

IronHorseSooner
10/15/2011, 07:54 AM
One way or another, they would lose the underdog status pretty quickly after joining the Big XII. First, they wouldn't be a mid-major anymore, they would be a Big XII team.

After that, they would either keep winning and establish themselves as a Big XII power broker (unlikely), and would come to be hated as overlord, like OU.

Or, they would start losing and be exposed as a mid-major success story due to soft scheduling (much more likely). And they would be hated as spreaders of a false gospel.

People would enjoy to see them go after the big dogs for a season or two, but after that, the love affair would be over.

This is actually the point that I wanted to make. Asking them join the Big XII would force them to "put up or shut up." They need to have their bluff called. And, yes, I think Petersen and Co. saw what his wunderkind former OC did with his offense against us, even when Harsin has superior athletes to implement it.

sooner59
10/15/2011, 11:23 AM
Could you imagine the beating that would take place if Boise had to come to Norman to play? Bob would pound them all game and likely never take out any starters just for spite.

Breadburner
10/15/2011, 11:51 AM
Could you imagine the beating that would take place if Boise had to come to Norman to play? Bob would pound them all game and likely never take out any starters just for spite.

They would not come....He tried.....