PDA

View Full Version : Boise State: Is It Possible?

Serge Ibaka
10/14/2011, 01:52 AM
I know that the BCS hasn't come out yet (and it will not be favorable to BSU), but is it possible that this is their year to get into the NCG above other 1-loss teams? I suppose the SEC would have to field a 2-loss champion for this to happen?

At any rate, it would be wholly unsatisfying if OU won out and drew BSU in a NCG match-up; we'd have to live through a month of STATUE-OF-LIBERTY, and it would feel like an essentially meaningless victory. I want to play LSU.

Counting my chickens, aren't I? :/

badger
10/14/2011, 08:26 AM
They just showed projected BCS standings --- the top 4 are LSU, Bammer, us and Poke State. Since us four play each other, they're saying we all control our own destiny that if any of us win out, we're the two that are in.

Assuming that happens (and we are starting to see a much clearer path at this point), Boise's out and there's nothing they and their crappy, unimpressive scheduling can do about it.

Neath a Western Sky
10/14/2011, 08:43 AM
I know that the BCS hasn't come out yet (and it will not be favorable to BSU), but is it possible that this is their year to get into the NCG above other 1-loss teams? I suppose the SEC would have to field a 2-loss champion for this to happen?

At any rate, it would be wholly unsatisfying if OU won out and drew BSU in a NCG match-up; we'd have to live through a month of STATUE-OF-LIBERTY, and it would feel like an essentially meaningless victory. I want to play LSU.

With you, Serge, on wanting to play LSU. Beating them in a stadium full of their low grade fans would exorcise demons on many levels for us, and would in my opinion represent the signature victory in Oklahoma Football history. If we do wind up playing Boise, we have plenty of other reasons to be supremely fired up. A thrashing of them in particular would provide payback on an epic scale. Depriving them of the oppt. for a MNC would be a thrill. I would hope Stoops and Co. would run all their Fiesta Bowl highlights against us morning, noon, and night for our players to see and retch over. Our defense might deliver a performance against which their ones against FSU and Texas would look pedestrian. The build up would be massive and I would do everything in my power to attend the game.

soonervegas
10/14/2011, 08:51 AM
I agree with some others that I want LSU in New Orleans. Win that game and Stoops regains his "baddest college coach on the planet" title.

SunnySooner
10/14/2011, 11:22 AM
The only thing about playing LSU in NOLA is that I really want to go, and if we win, which I think we are very apt to do, I'm fearful for our safety in getting out of the stadium with those nutjobs, especially if it's a 70-30 or so crowd. Maybe if we put an RRS style beatdown on them, they'll follow the whorns, and be gone by the end of the 3rd quarter. :biggrin:

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2011, 11:30 AM

No such thing as a meaningless victory in the title game - the winner keeps the crystal ball. I don't see 'Bama fans hanging their heads because they beat an essentially McCoy-less horn team in '09. I doubt UT was even a top 15 team without McCoy; especially losing him on the 5th play which ensured that the backup was minimally prepared. We don't bum over FSU not having Minnis or the real possibility that the Canes should have been there - nor should we. I doubt gator fans wish DM had played so that their victory over OU couldn't be questioned. If we are good and lucky enough to play Jan. 9th, we'll face a team with similar credentials. A win is a win is a win because the title represents the body of work for the season and not that 1 game.

And it won't be Boise anyway :)

badger
10/14/2011, 11:48 AM
I agree that a crystal ball would never be meaningless. I mean, we didn't play Washington or Miami for our 2000 championship and those teams were crying over being left out. Does that make THAT crystal ball meaningless????

How many even remember that Miami and Warsh were vying for the title game that year after this many years? Probably not as many as who remember that OU won the title.

SoonerSpock
10/14/2011, 11:52 AM
The demise of what little opportunity Boise had of making the BCS championship is probably the fall of TCU from the top 25. Which means the Bronchos will not play a top 25 team the rest of the season.

Meanwhile OU and OSU both play 4 more teams currently in the top 25 (Baylor, aTm/Texas, KSU and each other. Wisconsin plays 3 top 25 teams (Michigan, MSU and Illinois). Clemson play 2 (Georgia Tech and South Carolina). Stanford plays 1 (Oregon plus USC and Notre Dame). Boise State's standing in the computer ranking are going to give them virtually no chance at the championship game. Not to mention that the SEC champion will play in New Orleans in January regardless of their record. Five consecutive BCS championships demands it.