PDA

View Full Version : Best movie re-make?

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 08:46 PM
I'm anxious to see The Thing, because as a kid, the original (which was a remake of an earlier version) with Kurt Russell scared the crap out of me. I remember when the head turned into a spider-thingy. Crazy. Anyway, I'm guessing this remake won't be as good as the original (remake).

Anyway, why are most remakes so crappy? I thought War of the Worlds was pretty well done, but for every good remake, we get hundred Journey to the Center of the Earth (Brendan Fraser style) remakes.

I heard today on the radio that there is talk of Top Gun remake. Sounds bad already. My girlfriend won't go see The Thing with me, because she says "it's a waste of time to see a remake of a movie you've already seen". But, I bet your *** if they remade Steel Magnolias, My *** would be stuck in line for tickets the first night it came out!

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 10:25 PM
Love the Steel Magnolias line 8time...that's telling her! I actually like that movie, but I digress.

I agree totally the Kurt Russell THE THING was pretty dayum good. I think TRUE GRIT was well done last year. THE ITALIAN JOB was quite different but also quite similar and wasn't bad.

I'm puzzled as to why TOP GUN would be made again. Not that much has changed, other than the Tomcat is gone. Change the plane, same story...meh.

Never remake a McQueen movie. Ever.
I hope Hollywood is listening.

GDC
10/13/2011, 10:35 PM
I think the newest version of The Thing is more of a prequel to the first two.

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 10:46 PM
Love the Steel Magnolias line 8time...that's telling her! I actually like that movie, but I digress.

I agree totally the Kurt Russell THE THING was pretty dayum good. I think TRUE GRIT was well done last year. THE ITALIAN JOB was quite different but also quite similar and wasn't bad.

I'm puzzled as to why TOP GUN would be made again. Not that much has changed, other than the Tomcat is gone. Change the plane, same story...meh.

Never remake a McQueen movie. Ever.
I hope Hollywood is listening.

I haven't seen the True Grit remake, but heard good things. I also heard they were remaking Red Dawn, but again, how can you take a movie like that and make it better? No Cold War...

the-rover
10/13/2011, 11:23 PM
True Grit is pretty good, I thought the latest King Kong was really good.

A Fist Full of Dollars is a pretty old movie but is a remake.

A Red Dawn remake has real potential.....they could make it an invasion from a mid-east country.

Top Gun.... maybe a sequel, but no thanks to a remake

AlbqSooner
10/14/2011, 06:40 AM
A Fist Full of Dollars is a pretty old movie but is a remake.

WTF?
Old?
I was in basic training when that came out!

marfacowboy
10/14/2011, 07:12 AM
I'd say True Grit. Despite the self-contradictory Wiki entry, A Fist Full of Dollars isn't technically a "remake" in the sense that True Grit or 3:10 Yuma are remakes. It's an original film that takes it story line from several films, as pointed out by the spaghetti film expert Sir Christopher Frayling.

soonerinabilene
10/14/2011, 07:21 AM
Denzel's Man on Fire was much better than Scott Glenn's.

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2011, 09:41 AM
Flight of the Phoenix - the remake with Dennis Quaid was pretty damn good in my opinion - compared to the Jimmy Stewart version

soonerbrat
10/14/2011, 09:42 AM
I think the footloose thing looks dumb.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2011, 09:44 AM
I agree..and the fact they have some country hack singing the theme song...And I now officially sound gayer than ever

NormanPride
10/14/2011, 10:18 AM
Oceans 11 is one of the best remakes I have ever seen.

Wishboned
10/14/2011, 10:23 AM
Your girlfriend is in luck. They are remaking Steel Magnolias.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/10/12/lifetime-remaking-steel-magnolias-with-an-all-black-cast/

jumperstop
10/14/2011, 11:11 AM
Oceans 11 is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

FIFY

NormanPride
10/14/2011, 11:16 AM
Truth.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2011, 11:49 AM
Forrest Hump was pretty good

SoonerAtKU
10/14/2011, 12:49 PM

I tried to watch the original. Turns out, that one is actually unwatchable.

cantwait48
10/14/2011, 01:05 PM
I was not overly impressed with the true grit remake to be honest and I love westerns. I thought Rob Zombie's remaking of the orginal Halloween was good, not totally a remake either.

Soonerfan88
10/14/2011, 01:31 PM
I loved the original Oceans 11 and didn't care for the remake.

My vote for best remake goes to Father of the Bride. Although I love Spencer Tracy & Liz Taylor, Steve Martin's version was a better overall movie IMO.

In the new Red Dawn, the North Koreans will be the invaders.

Turd_Ferguson
10/14/2011, 02:04 PM
I tried to watch the original. Turns out, that one is actually unwatchable.I bet you liked the Happy Day's episode when Fonzie jumped the shark.

sooneron
10/14/2011, 02:41 PM
Forrest Hump was pretty good
I prefer On Golden Blond...

sooneron
10/14/2011, 02:45 PM
Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo should be interesting...

The new The Thing is a prequel, it takes place at the Norweigen camp that Russell's camp discovers in the Carpenter or Jim Arness version. Heh, I bet a lot of you didn't know that was James Arness (Marshall Matt Dillon) that was the original thing...

GDC
10/14/2011, 03:19 PM
Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo should be interesting...

The new The Thing is a prequel, it takes place at the Norweigen camp that Russell's camp discovers in the Carpenter or Jim Arness version. Heh, I bet a lot of you didn't know that was James Arness (Marshall Matt Dillon) that was the original thing...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?161047-Best-movie-re-make&p=3370833&viewfull=1#post3370833

Dawn of the Dead, Insomnia, and The Magnificent Seven were all quality remakes.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:19 PM
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a book, though, so it technically wouldn't be a remake. It's just a different adaptation of the book. Same with True Grit.

Ocean's Eleven is probably the best one I've seen. I was pretty let down by the original, even though it had the Rat Pack. Really, really boring.

GDC
10/14/2011, 03:20 PM
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a book, though, so it technically wouldn't be a remake. It's just a different adaptation of the book. Same with True Grit.

Ocean's Eleven is probably the best one I've seen. I was pretty let down by the original, even though it had the Rat Pack. Really, really boring.

Depends on how you define "remake". Seems to me there is some latitude there.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:28 PM
Depends on how you define "remake". Seems to me there is some latitude there.

I suppose, but when the source medium is not film, I don't see the second adaptation as a remake of the first.

8timechamps
10/14/2011, 04:46 PM
Your girlfriend is in luck. They are remaking Steel Magnolias.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/10/12/lifetime-remaking-steel-magnolias-with-an-all-black-cast/

You are ****ing kidding me?! ****!

sooner KB
10/14/2011, 04:47 PM
Twelve Monkeys
Scarface
The Departed
Oceans Eleven

Jacie
10/14/2011, 09:17 PM
I thought the Red Dawn remake was ready with China as the invading country. Then someone figured out that a movie casting our largest trade partner as the bad guys would be bad for business.

I can just imagine the meeting of the studio execs, "Yeah, the right wingers have been salivating for a Red Dawn remake. We'll break even with the domestic market then make a killing after we release it internationally."

From the back of the room, a junior exec taking notes shakily raises his hand, "Uh, sirs, one of our largest markets probably won't allow it to be shown since it is a huge insult to them."

Execs looking at each other, "And who would that be?"

"Uh, China . . . sirs. They're the bad guys in this film."

Total silence for 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . 7 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1

Then the CEO explodes, "Are you all insane! Insulting the most populous nation on Earth! That is 20% of all our potential customers, you idiots!"

Eventually, the special effects department was assigned to digitally change the invaders from Chinese to North Koreans. It may be that release has been held up since the idea of an invasion of the U.S. by North Korea makes this movie less believable than professional wrestling.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/14/2011, 09:53 PM
Invasion of Body Snatchers.

I didn't see the original Scarface, but the remake was good.

Jacie
10/14/2011, 09:58 PM
Invasion of Body Snatchers.

Remake totally sucked. The original b&w was scary, suspenseful and in the end, chilling to the bone.

Same thing could be said for Day The Earth Stood Still and it's remake.

sooneron
10/14/2011, 10:04 PM
I thought the Red Dawn remake was ready with China as the invading country. Then someone figured out that a movie casting our largest trade partner as the bad guys would be bad for business.

I can just imagine the meeting of the studio execs, "Yeah, the right wingers have been salivating for a Red Dawn remake. We'll break even with the domestic market then make a killing after we release it internationally."

From the back of the room, a junior exec taking notes shakily raises his hand, "Uh, sirs, one of our largest markets probably won't allow it to be shown since it is a huge insult to them."

Execs looking at each other, "And who would that be?"

"Uh, China . . . sirs. They're the bad guys in this film."

Total silence for 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . 7 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1

Then the CEO explodes, "Are you all insane! Insulting the most populous nation on Earth! That is 20% of all our potential customers, you idiots!"

Eventually, the special effects department was assigned to digitally change the invaders from Chinese to North Koreans. It may be that release has been held up since the idea of an invasion of the U.S. by North Korea makes this movie less believable than professional wrestling.

Sadly, that is prolly where all the bootlegs will come from, too...

sooneron
10/14/2011, 10:07 PM

Uh yeah, disagree.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/14/2011, 10:12 PM
Remake totally sucked. The original b&w was scary, suspenseful and in the end, chilling to the bone.

Critical reception Reviews for Invasion of the Body Snatchers have been nearly unanimously positive. It maintains a 95% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes,[1] and is regarded as one of the best films of 1978,[2][3][4] as well as one the greatest remakes of all time.[5][6][7][8] The Chicago Film Critics Association named it the 59th scariest film ever made.[9] The New Yorker's Pauline Kael, who said "it may be the best film of its kind ever made", was a particular fan.[10]

The film received a nomination from the Writers Guild of America for Best Drama Adapted from Another Medium. The film was also nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. It was also recognized by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films. Philip Kaufman won Best Director and the film was nominated Best Science Fiction Film. Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams and Leonard Nimoy received additional nominations for the performances.[11]

Jacie
10/15/2011, 01:45 PM
The Chicago Film Critics Association named it the 59th scariest film ever made.

The original is #29 on this same list . . .

C&CDean
10/16/2011, 03:13 PM
Best remakes? The umpteen Robin Hood and 3-Musketeers (and I guess another one is coming out?) flicks. I don't watch any of that Dawn of the Dead/slasher crap y'all are into. I do remember The Thing though. Pretty skeery back in the day.

C&CDean
10/16/2011, 03:14 PM
And Dracula flicks. And Frankenstein flicks. And even mummy flicks. Tons of good remakes of those.

Sooner Tri
10/17/2011, 08:54 AM
The movie, "The Four Feathers" is one of the most remade movies ever. From 1915-2002, this movie was made 7 times from the 1902 novel. The 1939 version is an excellent movie and my favorite version, although the 2002 remake with Heath Ledger is good too.

8timechamps
10/19/2011, 07:17 PM
Last night, because I couldn't sleep, I watched a bio on the original Halloween (the John Carpenter version). I didn't realize the movie was shot in something like 20 days, and the budget was $325k. Apparently that was cheap, even in the 70s. Anyway, Rob Zombie (the guy that did the remake) said he called John Carpenter to let him know he was doing the remake and this is how the conversation went:

Rob Zombie: "Mr. Carpenter, I'm going to do a remake of your movie Halloween."

[long silence]

John Carpenter: "Okay, what do you want me to say?"

I thought that was pretty damn funny.

SoonerInFortSmith
10/19/2011, 08:30 PM
I like the new version of The Longest Yard. Burt Reynolds being a heisman winner from OU made it very believable.

And I'll give you one remake that isn't great. Night of the Living Dead. The original black and white version was just so creepy. Hard to beat.

En_Fuego
10/20/2011, 12:15 AM
Hairy Twatter was exceptional. Loved all the books too.

Lott's Bandana
10/20/2011, 08:36 AM
I like the new version of The Longest Yard. Burt Reynolds being a heisman winner from OU made it very believable.

And I'll give you one remake that isn't great. Night of the Living Dead. The original black and white version was just so creepy. Hard to beat.

What was the most believable, that OU had a Heisman winner, or that he ended up in prison?

8timechamps
10/20/2011, 11:58 AM
Hairy Twatter was exceptional. Loved all the books too.

I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned Edward Penishands. Classic remake!

BillyBall
10/20/2011, 12:06 PM
I thought Cape Fear was a pretty quality remake.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2011, 12:34 PM
I thought Transformers 2 and 3 were excellent remakes of Transformers 1

Wishboned
10/20/2011, 12:49 PM
The Girl Next Door was a subpar remake of Risky Business.

SoonerAtKU
10/24/2011, 11:48 AM
I actually disagree. I think it's a better movie than Risky Business, with the notable exception of seeing the leading lady do her business on the train.

En_Fuego
10/27/2011, 01:38 AM
The Getaway (1972) with Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw was an excellent movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068638/

The Getaway (1994) with Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger was very good too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109890/

King Crimson
10/27/2011, 04:03 AM
I thought Cape Fear was a pretty quality remake.

i think that's a good choice. Gregory Peck drinking bourbon and Pepto, classic. Can't beat GP. the guy rode scooters around Rome with Audrey Hepburn, hunted the white whale, and played Joseph Mengele in his career.

i also think pretty much every "heist" flick is a remake of John Huston's Asphalt Jungle and the french versions which are called Bob Le Flambeur or Rififi (which are both excellent).

the_ouskull
10/27/2011, 06:32 AM
I think the footloose thing looks dumb.

My (middle school) students won't shut up about it like it's the best thing ever made. I'm pretty sure it's "Step Up III, Rural Areas," but whatever.

Pricetag
10/27/2011, 10:06 PM
It's not really a movie remake, but as a fan of the series, I was very pleasantly surprised by The A-Team.

8timechamps
10/28/2011, 01:46 PM
It's not really a movie remake, but as a fan of the series, I was very pleasantly surprised by The A-Team.

I didn't go into it expecting much, so it was enjoyable. You just can't replace Mr. T.

oudanny
10/28/2011, 02:57 PM
I cast my vote for The Thomas Crown Affair remake with Pierce Brosnan. I thought it was better than the original

stoopified
10/29/2011, 11:53 AM
True Grit remake was crap,Bridges was a poor substitute foe THE DUKE.The humor of the original was lacking and dialogue was overdone and unnatural.It seemed like they were attempting Shaekspeare in an old west setting.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2011, 01:19 PM
I really liked the snowcapped mountains of southeast Oklahoma in the original.

ustas
11/21/2011, 09:32 AM
The 300 spartans
True lies
The departed
The dark knight
Wanilla sky
Sherlock holmes

and many others. I don't think that remake should be worse than original. It's not a rule.

Trophy Husband
11/21/2011, 05:01 PM

Agree.

MountainOkie
11/23/2011, 05:39 PM
Ocean's 11 hands down.

I Am Right
11/23/2011, 07:04 PM
The original movie "The Thing" was with James Arness

sooneron
11/23/2011, 11:17 PM
The original movie "The Thing" was with James Arness

OMG, you ARE right! Kind of like me back at post #22.