PDA

View Full Version : USC/Cal

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 08:10 PM
Kiffin is stupid. They out-athlete Cal at almost every position, then he's going to pull that trick-play crap in the redzone. Why is this guy coaching a college team?

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 08:13 PM
Brown is stupid. They out-athlete OU at almost every position, then he's going to pull that trick-play crap in the redzone. Why is this guy coaching a college team?

FIFY, Shaggybevo style.

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 08:19 PM
FIFY, Shaggybevo style.

FIFM (Fixed it for Mack)

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 08:26 PM
:mack:spek

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 09:30 PM
I'd rather someone rip my arm off and beat me over the head with it, then watch anymore of this game. Maybe there's a rerun of the Odd Couple on....

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 09:31 PM
Ooooooo, just found Air Force/San Diego State....27-20 SDSU.....gonna watch this.

kevpks
10/13/2011, 09:51 PM
I would say that Cal is the worst team I've seen but I just watched Texas last Saturday.

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 10:14 PM
This is the second game I've watched this Cal QB play like Pee Wee Herman.

SoonerDood
10/13/2011, 10:26 PM
When is Tedford on the Hot Seat? Seems like every year we hear how "This is Cal's year. They will contend." Yet every year it seems they go 7-5 and get blown out by decent/good teams.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 10:27 PM
Cal is Texas Tech of the west...that 7-5 is good enough for them

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 10:35 PM
I think Badj has had Tedford on her vHotSeat for some time.

MeMyself&Me
10/13/2011, 10:37 PM
Kiffin is stupid. They out-athlete Cal at almost every position, then he's going to pull that trick-play crap in the redzone. Why is this guy coaching a college team?

I actually think it's a good idea for teams with good athletes to use trick plays against really bad teams early in the game. The trick plays make practice more fun for players that might lack focus on a week of prep for the trash teams, the high risk nature of such plays is negated by the fact that you're playing someone horrible, and it gives the future good opponents something they have to look at on film and prepare for even if you never intend to use it in the closer marquee matchups.

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 10:41 PM
I actually think it's a good idea for teams with good athletes to use trick plays against really bad teams early in the game. The trick plays make practice more fun for players that might lack focus on a week of prep for the trash teams, the high risk nature of such plays is negated by the fact that you're playing someone horrible, and it gives the future good opponents something they have to look at on film and prepare for even if you never intend to use it in the closer marquee matchups.

I can see where the addition of trick plays would benefit the morale of the players in practice, and using it against a bad team seems fine. My issue is that he used it on the first possession in the red zone (after a turnover) with the game scoreless...to me, you'd want to set the tone early, score points, then at some point later when you need a lengthy gain, pull out your trickeration.

Of course, I have no respect for Kiffin Jr, so I'm sure that had more to do with my thoughts at the time.

King Barry's Back
10/13/2011, 10:42 PM
and it gives the future good opponents something they have to look at on film and prepare for even if you never intend to use it in the closer marquee matchups.

Makes some sense - Let your quality opponents waste time on something you don't intend to use.

Curious to see if that strategy plays out.

Remember in 2000 when the Sooners came out and lined up in the Ninja, but called time-out? And then we never saw the Ninja again?

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 10:45 PM
We showed that big split against Tulsa and threw to RB85 for six. Haven't seen it since.

MeMyself&Me
10/13/2011, 10:47 PM
My issue is that he used it on the first possession in the red zone (after a turnover) with the game scoreless...to me, you'd want to set the tone early, score points, then at some point later when you need a lengthy gain, pull out your trickeration.

I think this is where you have to do it if you're going to. Well, at least in the first quarter anyway. If you wait until you have a comfortable lead, you risk a lot of bad press about intentionally running up the score. At least at this point, you wont hear that and if it doesn't work, like it didn't here, you have plenty of time to recover.

And I'm not a Kiffin fan either. Just like the idea of using trick plays early in game against hapless opponents.

MeMyself&Me
10/13/2011, 10:53 PM
We showed that big split against Tulsa and threw to RB85 for six. Haven't seen it since.

I actually don't see that as a trick play. It was a means to force one on one coverage on Broyles. I actually think the play would be better with Stills over there but he was not playing in that game. Been waiting to see it again. Maybe they haven't needed it since then to force that issue. Maybe they haven't needed it because other teams have learned they can't double up on any one receiver even when one isn't playing... partially due to OU using that play one time.

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 10:59 PM
I think this is where you have to do it if you're going to. Well, at least in the first quarter anyway. If you wait until you have a comfortable lead, you risk a lot of bad press about intentionally running up the score. At least at this point, you wont hear that and if it doesn't work, like it didn't here, you have plenty of time to recover.

And I'm not a Kiffin fan either. Just like the idea of using trick plays early in game against hapless opponents.

I'm kinda freakish about getting the first points on the board. So, if my offensive coordinator asked me to run a "Showtime Trips Purple Monster" (That's our double secret half back pass) on the first drive in the redzone, I'd go crazy. Now, second or third drive...at about mid-field...sure. Of course I don't coach at the collegiate level...so they don't ask me.

MeMyself&Me
10/13/2011, 11:05 PM
Lol, me either. And I agree with perhaps it was a bit too early but you do have to do it early. In any case, USC has this wrapped up despite the failed trick play which supports my point on negated risk.

Okie35
10/13/2011, 11:08 PM
Luck Fest :beaten:

King Barry's Back
10/13/2011, 11:11 PM
I actually don't see that as a trick play. It was a means to force one on one coverage on Broyles. I actually think the play would be better with Stills over there but he was not playing in that game. Been waiting to see it again. Maybe they haven't needed it since then to force that issue. Maybe they haven't needed it because other teams have learned they can't double up on any one receiver even when one isn't playing... partially due to OU using that play one time.

Interesting. Emergence of Stills and Reynolds may have negated need for that. Might need it again if/when we play LSU/Bama.

agoo758
10/14/2011, 12:55 AM
I agree with the posters in this thread. Cal, is arguably the worst coached team I have seen this season by a mile.