PDA

View Full Version : Best RRS article/eval I've read since the game...

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 07:32 PM
...if this has already been posted, my apologies. There are many things this writer "gets". Refreshing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/10/08/oklahoma-texas-red-river/index.html?sct=cf_bf3_a6

...from SI.com:

DALLAS -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops had apparently heard enough about the wunderkind coordinators at Texas.
Saturday, after his team thoroughly de-trousered everyone wearing burnt orange, Stoops couldn't help but needle a reporter who asked about the Sooners' near-psychic
ability to diagnose and blow up the Longhorns' trick plays.

"That's what everybody was infatuated with all week, right?" Stoops said. "That's what you guys were writing about. Now you don't like it?"
Like coordinator Brent Venables' defense, Stoops was rolling.
"Our guys seemed to pick it up pretty good," Stoops said with just the faintest hint of a smile. "Coach Venables, it's fair to say he's pretty bright, too."
Indeed he is. In Oklahoma's 55-17 win, the Sooners' defense outscored the Longhorns, 21-17, returning two fumbles and one interception for touchdowns.
Venables, who lands on the short list for head-coaching jobs seemingly every year, outcoached Bryan Harsin, the young coordinator who flummoxed Venables on a
long-ago night in Glendale, Ariz. The razzamatazz that was Harsin's hallmark at Boise State simply didn't work against an Oklahoma defense that was more fired-up,
more experienced and significantly faster than the Texas offense.

Venables emphatically quieted the ghosts of Circus and Statue, the trick plays then-Boise State coordinator Harsin used to thwart the
Sooners in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. Saturday, Harsin opened his bag of tricks a few times with horrendous results. Facing third-and-five in the
third quarter, Harsin called a play with tailback Fozzy Whittaker in a Wildcat formation that -- after a few distracting machinations -- would allow receiver
Jaxon Shipley to throw a pass. Oklahoma defensive end Ronnell Lewis grabbed Shipley and flung him for a loss of 14. That wasn't a failure of the play or of
Shipley as much as it was a failure of the offense as a whole. Trick plays enhance an offense that handles the basics well. The defense, wary of getting beat
straight-up, plays on its heels and gets fooled. When the offense can't get yards with a standard power or zone run, trick plays become slow-developing,
low-hanging fruit for aggressive defenses to devour like so many gobs of fried mashed potatoes at the Texas State Fair outside the stadium.

That's especially true when the opposing defensive coordinator has prepared his players so well. Consider this description of the play from Lewis. "I saw two pullers coming at me," Lewis said.
"They like to do a lot of trick plays with the quarterback rolling out. So I felt like that was my responsibility, to stay backside. I saw the reverse and just played it."
Here's a football-to-English translation: Oklahoma coaches had drilled into their players that the pulling offensive linemen would give away the direction of the play.
In other words, forget the game of three-card monty in the backfield. So, after fighting through two blockers, Lewis emerged on what appeared to be the play's back side.
A less-prepared player would have chased the ball. But because he had read the linemen, Lewis knew the ball was coming back in his direction eventually. Sure enough,
the ball was flipped to Shipley, and he headed straight toward Lewis, who ragdolled the freshman.
While the Longhorns' offensive stars got pounded, their defenders got burned. Texas coordinator Manny Diaz got all the press, but Oklahoma co-coordinators Josh Heupel
and Jay Norvell won Saturday's matchup with a huge assist from quarterback Landry Jones. Diaz came to Dallas knowing it didn't matter how well his defensive backs covered
if his front seven couldn't disrupt Jones' timing. That rarely happened Saturday. "No matter what you do against him," Diaz said, "he's going to know what he's getting."

Never was that more evident than on a third-and-25 play in the second quarter with the Sooners already up 13-3. It seemed Texas would force a third Oklahoma field goal attempt,
but Jones noticed something when he surveyed the field. It appeared Texas intended to use man coverage. So Jones changed the play -- remember, it's third-and-25 -- sending all
four receivers on vertical routes. He took the snap as the play clock expired. Texas rushed four and dropped seven. Oklahoma left a back in the backfield to protect, meaning the
Sooners had four receivers being covered by seven Longhorns. Jones' hunch was correct, though. On the right sideline, Quandre Diggs was the only defender on Jaz Reynolds.
Reynolds ran past him, and Jones dropped a pass into
Reynolds' hands before safety Adrian Phillips arrived to push Reynolds out of bounds after a 30-yard gain.
"Those things just kill you," Texas coach Mack Brown said of the play. "They break your back."
Oklahoma proved once again Saturday that it belongs in that ultra-elite club that also includes LSU, Alabama and Wisconsin.
The Sooners are well coached, fast, tough and relentless.
They have an unflappable quarterback, three game-breaking receivers (Reynolds, Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills) and a walk-on tailback (Dominique Whaley)
who buzzed past a herd of former five-star recruits on a 64-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. They have playmaking linebackers (Tom Wort and Travis Lewis),
a versatile hybrid (Tony Jefferson) and ruthless defensive ends (Ronnell Lewis and Frank Alexander).
Texas, meanwhile, proved that it has plenty of work to do before it belongs in the same sentence with Oklahoma. Quarterbacks Case McCoy and David Ash got rattled by
Oklahoma's pressure, and the Longhorns' line couldn't open any holes for anyone. Defensively, the Longhorns need to learn that wrapping up a ballcarrier and bringing him
to the ground beats the big hit. Elite opponents sometimes bounce off those big hits and keep running. The Longhorns aren't as bad as they looked Saturday -- by this time
next year, they could be quite good -- but they will have to be more disciplined than they were at the Cotton Bowl.
"We had decided we needed to win the turnover ratio coming in," Brown said. "We had to win the penalties coming in. We had to win the red zone coming in. We had to win
third downs. I'm not sure we won any of them. ... It's usually a great game. I was disappointed today that we didn't live up to our side of the match."

The Longhorns will invoke their 24-hour rule. By Sunday afternoon, the pity party has to end, because Oklahoma State comes to Austin next week. The Cowboys, by the way,
scored 56 points against Kansas on Saturday -- in the first half. "We don't have enough time to feel sorry for ourselves," Brown said. "Oklahoma State throws it like this bunch."
"This bunch," meanwhile, will head to Kansas after scoring a ton of style points against the Longhorns. Whether that will be enough to make the Sooners No. 1 in every poll is
irrelevant now. If they keep playing the way they did Saturday, they'll play for the national title -- even if their coordinators aren't wunderkinds.
The Sooners seem content to settle for wonderful.

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 08:07 PM
It goes without saying, our coaching staff had our boys fully prepared for the trickery.

En_Fuego
10/13/2011, 08:13 PM
I can't believe people still talk about that Fiesta Bowl game. Let's move on to something different like when Montana State beat Idaho back in 1947 with a double secret fumble rooskie.

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 08:20 PM
I can't believe people still talk about that Fiesta Bowl game. Let's move on to something different like when Montana State beat Idaho back in 1947 with a double secret fumble rooskie.

No kidding, there are players that have graduated, been drafted to the NFL and retired since then.

SunnySooner
10/13/2011, 08:28 PM
Meh, just the Harsin angle playing in on that game. Ya gotta remember for BSU, that's like, a National Championship. To beat the mythical OU, even though they outranked us, it's really the only major accomplishment they've achieved since becoming a player in CFB. It's still a BFD to them.

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 08:30 PM
Meh, just the Harsin angle playing in on that game. Ya gotta remember for BSU, that's like, a National Championship. To beat the mythical OU, even though they outranked us, it's really the only major accomplishment they've achieved since becoming a player in CFB. It's still a BFD to them.

Quit sounding all smart and stuff.

Soonermagik
10/13/2011, 08:39 PM
Good read!!

cccasooner2
10/13/2011, 08:53 PM

Musburger: "And Idaho has not forgotten."

OUHOMER
10/13/2011, 08:58 PM
spot on, good read

LVSOONER15
10/13/2011, 09:13 PM
I like when he mentions that RLewis ragdolled shipley.

BigTip
10/13/2011, 09:26 PM
Musburger: "And Idaho has not forgotten."

LOL!

aurorasooner
10/14/2011, 12:44 AM
I like when he mentions that RLewis ragdolled shipley. I did as well. However, that kid is a helluva football player imo, just like his brother was. We'll have to pay attention to him for the next several years. Lott-Thx, for sharing that article. good read.

budbarrybob
10/14/2011, 12:56 AM
...if this has already been posted, my apologies. There are many things this writer "gets". Refreshing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/10/08/oklahoma-texas-red-river/index.html?sct=cf_bf3_a6

...from SI.com:

F Yeah!

Salt City Sooner
10/14/2011, 02:12 AM
We were #7, they were #9. Like you insinuate though, it was absolutely nowhere near the David vs. Goliath matchup that the media portrayed it as. Heck, if the 'horns didn't pull one of the more gargantuan choke jobs to end that season that I've seen in a while, we're not even in that game.

DCsooner22
10/14/2011, 05:17 AM
We were #7, they were #9. Like you insinuate though, it was absolutely nowhere near the David vs. Goliath matchup that the media portrayed it as. Heck, if the 'horns didn't pull one of the more gargantuan choke jobs to end that season that I've seen in a while, we're not even in that game.

EXACTLY. IIRC, we backed into the Big 12 Championship game that year b/c once again - in doing less with more - the whorns found a way to lose to an A&M team they should have beat.

SunnySooner
10/14/2011, 06:43 AM
I stand corrected, for some reason, I thought it was the other way around.

Mazeppa
10/14/2011, 07:59 AM
More like: OU Defense 21 Texas Offense 10

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/14/2011, 08:09 AM
More like: OU Defense 21 Texas Offense 10

I remember Mazeppa and Cousin Teddy-Mac. I even know where Red Fork is. I grew up on South 33rd Ave. Man, we're going back a ways!

PLaw
10/14/2011, 08:59 AM
No kidding, there are players that have graduated, been drafted to the NFL and retired since then.

Unfortunately, is was David vs. Goliath and UTEP vs. Kentucky wrapped into one moment because we all know only "real" sports happen East of the Mississippi or on a Cali beach.

This game will have the same legs as TGOWWDNS.

BOOMER

dwarthog
10/14/2011, 09:09 AM
Great read, thanks for sharing!

Partial Qualifier
10/14/2011, 09:13 AM

I stand corrected, for some reason, I thought it was the other way around.

That was the AP poll. In the BCS rankings, OU was 10 going into that game; Boise was 8.

LVSOONER15
10/14/2011, 09:20 AM
That was the AP poll. In the BCS rankings, OU was 10 going into that game; Boise was 8.

Thats exactly what I thought.

PLaw
10/14/2011, 09:58 AM

Exactly, for that season, but as programs go . . . it was still David v. Goliath. Non-AQ v. BCS. I think the media realized how closely the teams were for that year, but it was the moment for a statement for the non-AQ schools against the inequalities of the BCS.

Boom

yermom
10/14/2011, 10:10 AM
weren't we dogs in that game or something?

rekamrettuB
10/14/2011, 11:38 AM
weren't we dogs in that game or something?

No. Line was OU -7 to -8. People act like it's the biggest upset in the history of sports and I guarantee you will see 4 bigger upsets this week. And you've already seen one last night. San Diego state was a -7 dog to Air Force and beat them by 14.

Mazeppa
10/14/2011, 12:22 PM
I remember Mazeppa and Cousin Teddy-Mac. I even know where Red Fork is. I grew up on South 33rd Ave. Man, we're going back a ways!

You mean Teddy Jack Eddy? Played by Gary Busey. Check out mazeppa.com for more memories.

SouthFortySooner
10/14/2011, 12:40 PM
Wow, he does get it. He mentions a "more fired up" group of Sooners this week. Again, I said it when the Fiasco Bowl started and Iglesias was walking back to receive the kickoff flatfooted, and the camera pans to the Boise kickoff line and they were up on their toes with fire gouting out their noses! Oh boy, we're in trouble dad.

Salt City Sooner
10/14/2011, 01:21 PM
EXACTLY. IIRC, we backed into the Big 12 Championship game that year b/c once again - in doing less with more - the whorns found a way to lose to an A&M team they should have beat.
UT also lost to KSU the game before A&M. If they win either of those, they're in Tempe, not us.

Salt City Sooner
10/14/2011, 01:22 PM
It was also 7 vs. 9 in the coaches poll, which is what I was referring to previously.