PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Mac mini?

SoonerInTN
10/13/2011, 05:21 PM

yermom
10/13/2011, 05:25 PM
they are cool as long as you realize there is basically no upgrading them

it's like a MacBook without a screen

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2011, 05:35 PM
I have a Mac Mini. I'm about to build a new gaming rig, so the mac mini is going to become my new htpc.

I absolutely love it. It's quiet, very energy efficient, and I've never had any sort of issues with it whatsoever. Just realize its limitations, but if it fits your needs then you'll absolutely love it.

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 06:00 PM
Not knowing a thing about your son, it is possible it wasn't the PC's fault.

If your son is in middle school and uses the computer for gaming and such, perhaps the investment isn't worth it. (with a nod to SicEm's maturity and computer savvy-ness...)

But if he is in middle school, or any other age, and he uses it for school and creativity, you can't go wrong. Just realize the Apple versions of some of MS's productivity suites have "governors" on them, which limits their abilities. You can use Parallels or Boot Camp and partition your HD and run Windows, if you need a full scale Office suite, for example.

I use Parallels and run IE only for minuscule periods of time because one single website requires IE for it to function, and I need to access that website, sadly.

49r
10/14/2011, 11:38 AM
they are cool as long as you realize there is basically no upgrading them

it's like a MacBook without a screen

Honestly, what would you want to "upgrade" on a mini, other than the memory, which is really easy to do on the newer ones?

I wish they would get models with beefier gfx, but for an all-around general use PC, they are far more than adequate.

But yeah, if you are looking for a gamer rig, I'd stay away from the mini, too.