PDA

View Full Version : Pat Forde leaving ESPN for Yahoo Sports

Salt City Sooner
10/13/2011, 05:09 PM
Interesting comments about ESPN; gives a lot of credence to what Feldman was saying when he got the boot, IMO.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/10/13/pat-forde-is-leaving-espn-for-yahoo-sports-effective-nov-1/?sources=topbuttons

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 05:44 PM
Why couldn't Forde just leave sports all-together?!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 05:46 PM
I just became a fan

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 05:51 PM
Despite it being Forde, the comment about not being able to look into stories because of the WWL's conflict-of-interest is a quiet thermonuclear blast in the journalism world.

There will be more of this...I hope.

AlboSooner
10/13/2011, 06:29 PM
I got this feeling like ESPN is ripe for some humble pie. I feel they are overdue to be exposed.

SunnySooner
10/13/2011, 06:56 PM
I wonder if he'll still hate OU, or if that was just an ESPiN job requirement.

Partial Qualifier
10/13/2011, 07:02 PM
I got this feeling like ESPN is ripe for some humble pie. I feel they are overdue to be exposed.

Well if anyone breaks a story, it'll be Yahoo Sports

Octavian
10/13/2011, 10:25 PM
Don't really like the guy but.....good for Pat.

He's tired of the agenda --- leaves with his manhood intact.

maybe

soonerboy_odanorth
10/13/2011, 10:31 PM
Pat Forde? You mean the Pat Forde... who likes to say "Big Game Boob" along with Skip Bayless? You take those two, and add Matt Hayes, and maybe they can all get in a small poorly maintained overloaded single-engine plane together and try to fly from Lincoln to Kearny, NE in the middle of a blizzard.

I hope the pilot survives.

BlownGP
10/13/2011, 11:05 PM
I like when he said OU should be #1 after RRS, yet he thinks LSU and BAMA are better teams.. What a dumbass

sooneron
10/14/2011, 12:01 AM
I could care less about what he thinks in October, but at least he is seeing the sports world via espin for what it is. If ESPiN is the worldwide leader, then why are they constantly getting scooped by the likes of Yahoo? ESPiN is in the entertainment biz, that and NOTHING else. You should have known it when they were bought up by the mouse. There's a good reason that P Gammons took off due to not wanting to be the quick soundbyte guy... He WANTS to report.

budbarrybob
10/14/2011, 12:57 AM
He can suck D!ck there too.!!!!

JudInKC
10/14/2011, 08:25 AM

You have to forgive Pat. He grew up a Colorado fan and then attended Mizzou, both of which were getting their as_s handed to them by Barry and the boys. He was "hanging half a hundred on 'em" and it just never sat well with poor little Pat.

I like his Forde Yard Dash column, and I loved his column about Gary Petrino a few years back but his constant ridiculing of anything OU gets old pretty quick.

soonertravis
10/14/2011, 10:05 AM
I could care less about what he thinks in October, but at least he is seeing the sports world via espin for what it is. If ESPiN is the worldwide leader, then why are they constantly getting scooped by the likes of Yahoo? ESPiN is in the entertainment biz, that and NOTHING else. You should have known it when they were bought up by the mouse. There's a good reason that P Gammons took off due to not wanting to be the quick soundbyte guy... He WANTS to report.

Agree Entirely. We take the opinion as truth or fact because it is often presented to us by ESPN or Fox News or CNN or MSNBC as fact. It is happening in politics and sports and it is good for neither.

I was discussing with someone yesterday that if you say a league other than the SEC is the best you are laughed at, but why? We need to leave ESPn to do what it is good at: broadcast athletic events. We need to leave reporting to entities who are built to be reporters, like Yahoo or newspapers. They aren't worried about devaluing their content. ESPN is.

NormanPride
10/14/2011, 10:45 AM
I haven't trusted ESPN's reporting for years. They are terrible at it, and really are only good for base commentary about how awesome a play is, or how stupid a coach was for doing something.

NormanPride
10/14/2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Fox needs to step up, or partner with Yahoo and start a major network alternative. ESPN is stagnant, and we need something to oppose them.

badger
10/14/2011, 11:13 AM
The reason ESPN is the way they are is because they have no competition and they are controlled by northeast liberals. If Rupert Murdoch was smart he'd start up a Fox 24 Hr Sports Network--the market is crying out for an alternative.

Shout it in Australia's direction in a phony accent. This would actually be a very good money idea.

As for Forde, the problem with longterm guys like him and Dan Patrick and all the rest leaving is that some of these long tenured guys might actually have the ability to put their foot down without getting the boot if there's something wrong with what ESPN is asking them to do. If you replace an older, established, respected guy with a n00b, then the n00b will say "yes, boss" in fear of getting fired to even the most asinine requests.

BillyBall
10/14/2011, 11:59 AM

Which I think is a totally personal bias since he went to Mizzou and has had to watch OU tap their asses all of his life.

BillyBall
10/14/2011, 12:01 PM
I haven't trusted ESPN's reporting for years. They are terrible at it

Yeah, last weekend on Sports Reporters they had a woman on that said "OU will only play one ranked team the rest of the year"... I just stared at the tv feeling myself getting dumber.

SoonerAtKU
10/14/2011, 12:19 PM
She might be right, but I'd imagine some combination of A&M, Baylor, and KSU will manage to be in there at the time we play them. OSU is pretty much a given, unless they drop off the face of the earth unexpectedly.

BillyBall
10/14/2011, 12:32 PM
She might be right, but I'd imagine some combination of A&M, Baylor, and KSU will manage to be in there at the time we play them. OSU is pretty much a given, unless they drop off the face of the earth unexpectedly.

Unfortunately I think she was referring to teams that were currently ranked. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt though...

Soonerfan88
10/14/2011, 12:46 PM
The reason ESPN is the way they are is because they have no competition and they are controlled by northeast liberals. If Rupert Murdoch was smart he'd start up a Fox 24 Hr Sports Network--the market is crying out for an alternative.

Their first real competition will start next year when the Comcast/NBC merger relaunches Versus as NBC Sports Network. Comcast also owns the Golf Channel and has 11 regional sports networks already in place. Combine this with the sports acumen and experience of Dick Ebersol at NBC and ESPN is facing major changes if they want to maintain their markets.

Lawton4Life
10/14/2011, 12:48 PM
Their first real competition will start next year when the Comcast/NBC merger relaunches Versus as NBC Sports Network. Comcast also owns the Golf Channel and has 11 regional sports networks already in place. Combine this with the sports acumen and experience of Dick Ebersol at NBC and ESPN is facing major changes if they want to maintain their markets.

Dick Ebersol retired.

Salt City Sooner
10/14/2011, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately I think she was referring to teams that were currently ranked. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt though...
Who was this non-genius? KSU, Baylor, & A&M are all ranked this week in addition to OSU.

sooneron
10/14/2011, 02:28 PM
Political affiliation has NOTHING to do with it. It's about one thing and one thing alone... $ They are owned by a huge multinational entertainment corp. Entertainment suits would sell their children into white slavery for increased revenues.

Okie35
10/14/2011, 02:35 PM

Mizzou guy, he'll probably still hate OU.

BillyBall
10/14/2011, 03:14 PM
Who was this non-genius? KSU, Baylor, & A&M are all ranked this week in addition to OSU.

Jemele Hill

htownsooner7
10/14/2011, 03:17 PM
Jemele Hill

She's a total idiot. My guess is that all will be ranked when we play them.

badger
10/14/2011, 03:36 PM
A lot of women who try to be sports reporters embarrass me as a chick sports fan, but I guess that just means that I can impress you all with my vast array of sportiness because your expectations for female sports fans are already abysmally low thanks to the Jemele Hills out there.

Sooooooo... how does OU play only one ranked opponent the rest of the year. Hmmmmmmm....

As OU plays KU, KSU tanks against Tech, taking them outta the rankings (they are still undefeated, the only reason they are ranked). Tech, by virtue of being a former overrated but unranked team to fall recently, will not be ranked for awhile.

Baylor or Texas A&M lose, the winner stays ranked, the loser is out.

OSU beats Texas, causing UT to drop outta the polls (thank gawd), but remain ranked.

Remaining Big 12 ranked teams after this week:

OU, OSU, BU/aTm

If Texas A&M tanks against Baylor or another team before Nov. 5, we will host an unranked Aggie team (but their fanbase will be as rabid as ever). If Baylor tanks against Texas A&M or another team before Nov. 19, we will play an unranked Baylor on the road.

Soooooo... I guess its possible???

It is also entirely possible for UT to beat OSU, OSU to Poke Choke their dream season away and us to play no ranked teams the rest of the regular season. Entirely. Possible.

:stunned:

Frozen Sooner
10/14/2011, 05:06 PM
Maybe my cable system is weird, but I have about a million Fox Sports channels.

Lott's Bandana
10/14/2011, 05:42 PM
Jemelle Hill is so completely out of her league she can only speed-read topics she knows nothing about, unless you ask her about LeBron.

She is so overwhelmed by sports that when she talks, all I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher.