PDA

View Full Version : Why wouldn't Whaley go pro?

thecynic
10/13/2011, 08:38 AM
He has the measurables. If he continues like he has, he'll get a look from the NFL. He has soaring loans and two kids. It will be interesting to see where he ends up on the draft boards. He might be a one and done.

zeptrey
10/13/2011, 08:44 AM
Dear God...hear we go again. He'll get a look...but will be doing himself a favor if he were to stay to make that stock go up.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 08:50 AM
The running back position is a dime a dozen position right now in the NFL..I mean, sure he can do it, but I'm afraid he would end up not getting drafted at all with this class who are all comparable and have some proof that they are durable..

But we should all listen to zeptrey, because obviously he is smarter than the rest of us

rock on sooner
10/13/2011, 09:06 AM
With Cam Newton being only exception that I can think of, the pros usually look at a body of work. Unless Dom rips off 2 or 3
200 yard games with major highlights while our team wins or at least goes for #8 Zeptrey's intelligence will be verified.

olevetonahill
10/13/2011, 09:07 AM
The running back position is a dime a dozen position right now in the NFL..I mean, sure he can do it, but I'm afraid he would end up not getting drafted at all with this class who are all comparable and have some proof that they are durable..

But we should all listen to zeptrey, because obviously he is smarter than the rest of us

Well its Obvious that he knows more than YOU.

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 09:09 AM
Jesus christ.....How many of these stupid post do we need......

badger
10/13/2011, 09:11 AM
Hey, at least people aren't asking when he'll get his scholarship anymore :D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 09:13 AM
With Cam Newton being only exception that I can think of, the pros usually look at a body of work. Unless Dom rips off 2 or 3
200 yard games with major highlights while our team wins or at least goes for #8 Zeptrey's intelligence will be verified.

Oh, I actually agree with him on this one.. he just doesn't offer anything to the discussion..

Your post is right on

rekamrettuB
10/13/2011, 09:14 AM
Hey, at least people aren't asking when he'll get his scholarship anymore :D

I was thinking that would be the point of this post actually.

Do we know that he has "soaring loans"? I went to college on grants 'cause my folks were broke and I/we couldn't afford it.

badger
10/13/2011, 09:16 AM
OK, so to prevent him from going pro:

1- Find the Subway he works at
2- Give an SEC booster sized "tip" after you get your bone-dry taste-free sub.

:mad: and yes i'm joking.

:D give a TEXAS booster sized "tip!" Why do you think the SEC kids all turn pro so fast while Texas kids stay? THE TIPS ARE HIGHER IN AUSTIN!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 09:19 AM
This class has 1 absolute 1st rounder IMO in Trent Richardson and then a whole cluster of guys who could go middle 2nd-5...LaMichael James, Chris Polk, Cyrus Gray, etc....I'm afraid he wouldn't get a serious look this year

JudInKC
10/13/2011, 09:31 AM
If/when he is awarded a scholarship, wouldn't that pay for any loans he may have taken out? I remember a walkon getting a scholarship earlier in Stoops tenure and I read at the time the scholarship repaid his parents for the monies they had paid for the first X number of years he was a walkon. I think it was Roger Steffen or somebody back in that era.

I could have read it wrong, though. Does anyone know?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 09:37 AM
That doesn't sound familiar...A retroactive scholarship.. I have no idea about that

Mad Dog Madsen
10/13/2011, 09:42 AM
This thread is so STUPID.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 09:46 AM
He posed it as a question...NOt a big deal...LEAVE HIM ALONE!

DCSooner
10/13/2011, 09:49 AM
I DONT UNDERTSANDF WHY HE DONT HAVE NO SCHOLERSHIP NYET!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 09:50 AM
CUZ HE"S RIOTCH BIOTCH!

thecrimsoncrusader
10/13/2011, 09:52 AM
Can a train wreck do a face palm?

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 09:53 AM
I have to POOP....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rekamrettuB
10/13/2011, 09:59 AM
I have to POOP....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOMER!!!

DCSooner
10/13/2011, 10:02 AM
POOPER!!

NormanPride
10/13/2011, 10:07 AM
Now you're talking step's language.

85sooners
10/13/2011, 10:12 AM
Let's poop on kansas

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 10:15 AM
http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/68/5498c1e0cf63ec8760aa470e35ee267e/m.jpg

I will poop on you...!!!

SoonerTerry
10/13/2011, 10:20 AM
hey you damn kids... quit poopin in my lawn..

dagnabit

Mad Dog Madsen
10/13/2011, 10:21 AM
My bad STEP... You're right this thread isn't stupid. Look at all these intelligent posts! :encouragement:

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 10:26 AM
NOW ITS GENIUS!

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/bird_poop_kid.jpg

Mad Dog Madsen
10/13/2011, 10:29 AM
This thread is about to turn into "delete me 2.0"

rekamrettuB
10/13/2011, 10:30 AM
This thread is about to turn into "delete me 2.0"

Don't poo-poo on it.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/13/2011, 10:32 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090717215934/wiggles/images/archive/a/a2/20091103145433!Poop.jpg

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 10:34 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/2352643983_a48aa89012.jpg

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2011, 10:41 AM
What was the question?

jkjsooner
10/13/2011, 10:47 AM

:D give a TEXAS booster sized "tip!" Why do you think the SEC kids all turn pro so fast while Texas kids stay? THE TIPS ARE HIGHER IN AUSTIN!

That brings up an interesting point. I wonder how the NCAA looks upon tips for those who have jobs where tipping is customary?

Would they flag anything that was slightly above average if they knew of it? I knew a guy who would leave > 100% tip when we went out to lunch. (It was awkward to say the least.)

Now, of course a $1000 tip on a $10 sub would be considered excessive by anyone's definition but I do wonder how the NCAA views this...

Mad Dog Madsen
10/13/2011, 10:57 AM
^^^You're doing it wrong.

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZhImsXVAeA&feature=related

Frozen Sooner
10/13/2011, 11:48 AM
If/when he is awarded a scholarship, wouldn't that pay for any loans he may have taken out? I remember a walkon getting a scholarship earlier in Stoops tenure and I read at the time the scholarship repaid his parents for the monies they had paid for the first X number of years he was a walkon. I think it was Roger Steffen or somebody back in that era.

I could have read it wrong, though. Does anyone know?

There's no way that could be allowed. It'd be WAY too easy to get around scholarship limits that way.

cvsooner
10/13/2011, 11:52 AM

Sort of related: Read yesterday at si.com that the Subway he worked at has been torn down and no longer exists. Just an interesting trivial nugget.

OUTromBoNado
10/13/2011, 11:59 AM
Anyone know where I can get a "Boomer Sooner" ringtone?

Bourbon St Sooner
10/13/2011, 12:16 PM

Actually, I'm smarter than the rest of you. I just don't want y'all to know how incredibly geniustastic I am so I mostly post stupid ****.

BeaSooner
10/13/2011, 12:19 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/2352643983_a48aa89012.jpg

mmmmmmm.....pork and fried stuffs......

jkjsooner
10/13/2011, 12:50 PM
^^^You're doing it wrong.

Choosing not to play along.

SoonerSpock
10/13/2011, 01:21 PM
Whaley is very unlikely to come out this year totally because of dollar available for moving up the draft board and his lack of division 1 experience. If he gains the experience of another year at OU it is probable that he would move up at least one round in the NFL draft.

Last years NFL draft had one first round draft choice (Mark Ingram #28) and 4 second round draft choices (Ryan Williams #38, Shane Vereen #56 and Terry Smith #58). DeMarco Murray was the first RB drafted in the 3rd round at #71. His initial contract with the Cowboys was $2.97 million for 4 years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarco-murray/

Ryan Williams was drafted #38 in the second round. His initial contract was $5 million for 4 years. That is $2.03 more than Murray for moving up 33 places in the draft. Mark Ingram was drafted 43 places higher than Murray and received $7.41 million for 4 years. That is $4.44 million more than Murray got.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/ryan-williams/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/mark-ingram/

It would be realistic to project that Whaley is not likely to go higher in this year's draft than Murray did last year. Likewise it might be viable that Whaley could move up to the high 2nd round like Ryan Williams with another year at OU. If so is could easily mean an additional $2 million for Dominique maybe even as much as $4.5 million if he can advance to the late first round.

IronHorseSooner
10/13/2011, 01:25 PM
I was thinking that would be the point of this post actually.

Do we know that he has "soaring loans"? I went to college on grants 'cause my folks were broke and I/we couldn't afford it.

With his parents both being Army, he could very well be going on the 9-11 GI Bill.

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 02:07 PM
mmmmmmm.....pork and fried stuffs......

Poopoo Platter....No lie....!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 02:12 PM
Whaley is very unlikely to come out this year totally because of dollar available for moving up the draft board and his lack of division 1 experience. If he gains the experience of another year at OU it is probable that he would move up at least one round in the NFL draft.

Last years NFL draft had one first round draft choice (Mark Ingram #28) and 4 second round draft choices (Ryan Williams #38, Shane Vereen #56 and Terry Smith #58). DeMarco Murray was the first RB drafted in the 3rd round at #71. His initial contract with the Cowboys was $2.97 million for 4 years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarco-murray/

Ryan Williams was drafted #38 in the second round. His initial contract was $5 million for 4 years. That is $2.03 more than Murray for moving up 33 places in the draft. Mark Ingram was drafted 43 places higher than Murray and received $7.41 million for 4 years. That is $4.44 million more than Murray got.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/ryan-williams/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/mark-ingram/

It would be realistic to project that Whaley is not likely to go higher in this year's draft than Murray did last year. Likewise it might be viable that Whaley could move up to the high 2nd round like Ryan Williams with another year at OU. If so is could easily mean an additional $2 million for Dominique maybe even as much as $4.5 million if he can advance to the late first round.

With the new slotted salaries, it will be less this year all the way around..If I'm understanding it correctly, 2nd round guys will probably be getting 4-5th round money from last year

Okie35
10/13/2011, 02:15 PM
What?!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 02:19 PM
the way salaries are going to go for rookies, a 2nd round player is probably going to get comparable money to a 4th-5th round player from last year once bonuses, etc are accounted for..maybe 3rd-4th round, but it still will be a large cut

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 02:21 PM
The rookie base salary did increase some though

SoonerSpock
10/13/2011, 06:20 PM
With the new slotted salaries, it will be less this year all the way around..If I'm understanding it correctly, 2nd round guys will probably be getting 4-5th round money from last year

With the new salary structure the absolute dollars may be less but the relative differential between top 3rd round, top 2nd round or lower 1st round will remain relatively the same. Nearly twice to three times the compensation is significant when the biggest price paid is getting better prepared by enhancing your skill set for the next level.

101sooner
10/13/2011, 06:33 PM
With his parents both being Army, he could very well be going on the 9-11 GI Bill.

If you read the SI article, he is indeed using the Post 9-11 GI bill. It isn't paying for all of it, but it sure is a big help. Maybe even a HUGE help. ;)

"The G.I. Bill, via Damaris—who recently learned that she's being deployed to Afghanistan at the end of this month—only goes so far to cover Dominique's expenses, which, including yearly tuition of $7,854, come to about $20,000 annually. Not to mention the bills of his fiancée, who's training to be a nurse, and of their now two little boys, a three-year-old and a four-month-old."

He's eligible. Probably tuition paid plus books and fees and a monthly stipend in addition to BAH rate based on E-5 rank with dependents for the OU zip code. That would explain A LOT.

Dwight
10/13/2011, 06:38 PM
Because he's not good enough.

/thread

aurorasooner
10/13/2011, 06:42 PM
I think it's a fair question, and it probably depends on Dom's economic situation. If you're broke and owe money, any kind of pro-football pay check would probably look good. Since he'll be a Senior next year, he (and his family) may have to factor in a career ending injury before he gets any kind of pay check besides scholly money. Also his family may not be in an economic position to pay a premium on an insurance policy as Bradford's did.
Whether he goes or stays, I sure have enjoyed watching him run the football, the way he pops up after a play and respectfully hands to football to closest official, and I wish him success at either the college or pro level next year.

MyT Oklahoma
10/13/2011, 11:09 PM
^^ Amen.

Peach Fuzz
10/13/2011, 11:46 PM
I think it's fair also. No one really knows what all he's going through. Bills, kids, walked-on missing football and things are got really good for him, most likely wondering what if... Crazy how so many kids act hard in cfb and like they've been through some stuff when this dude has had some real life thrown at him and not this college/partie/girls/famous/ fantasy right when they graduate from a rich high school. It's not like most of these are are out of nowhere raw thugs, the've been know about since freshmen and sophomores in hs.

Him being through a lot more and not acting hard means he's got **** to do. I guess I'm trying to say I don't know how a person can make a confident pick in either way at this point. IMO he stays to see how much he could make later and get as much school while he's waiting to find out.

-yes it's a weird post I'm not in the greatest state of mind :)

SoonerSpock
10/14/2011, 12:22 PM
I think it's a fair question, and it probably depends on Dom's economic situation. If you're broke and owe money, any kind of pro-football pay check would probably look good. Since he'll be a Senior next year, he (and his family) may have to factor in a career ending injury before he gets any kind of pay check besides scholly money. Also his family may not be in an economic position to pay a premium on an insurance policy as Bradford's did.
Whether he goes or stays, I sure have enjoyed watching him run the football, the way he pops up after a play and respectfully hands to football to closest official, and I wish him success at either the college or pro level next year.

If Dom can provide ocular evidence that he projects as a third round draft choice he can go to the bank and borrow the money for an injury insurance policy. The loan would easily qualify for a legitimate business loan with a means to repay the loan. Furthermore he would have no exposure to losing his eligibility because of the loan.

In fact the NCAA has a loan program that they make available to potential draftees that want to return for their senior year. It does have top stops that prohibited Sam Bradford using it because of his expected compensation package far exceed the $5 million dollar limit.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/are_you_in_good_hands.html

nativesooner
10/14/2011, 02:15 PM
Dom said he wants to get his degree from OU.... :encouragement:

stoopified
10/14/2011, 03:46 PM
If Dom does declare for the draft,I don't blame him.