PDA

View Full Version : Where do u Think Landry will End Up Ranking in the Quarterbacks during Stoops Era?

Stooper
10/12/2011, 07:42 PM
Thus far, where do you all think Landry ranks as far as the top quarterbacks that have played for Stoops??

SoonerPride
10/12/2011, 07:49 PM
He will own most of the records at the position.

He already has 1 Big 12 title and a BCS bowl victory under his belt, and 2 RRR Golden Hat trophies. That puts him on par with Hybl and White and Bradford.

Heupel is still the best though because of the biggest prize of all.

So if we win it all this year that means Landy will have won 2 Big 12 titles, 2 BCS bowls with one of those being the National Championship then he is the greatest quarterback in OU history.

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 07:57 PM
He wins a Heisman and a natty, he is the best in my opinion.

ashley
10/12/2011, 08:11 PM
Easy question. Two #2

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 08:12 PM
Depends on what you base your ranking system on...talent or wins...

SoonerPride
10/12/2011, 08:19 PM
Depends on what you base your ranking system on...talent or wins...

He's as "talented" as anyone we've had and his records and win totals prove that case unfailingly.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 08:25 PM
He's as "talented" as anyone we've had and his records and win totals prove that case unfailingly.

well, then Timmy Change and Graham Harrell are the most talented quarterbacks ever

And also, asking that has to do with everyone else as well..

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 08:28 PM
BTW, ranking by talent

1.Bradford
2. Jones
3. Heupel
4. White
5. Hybl

King Barry's Back
10/12/2011, 08:32 PM

He already has 1 Big 12 title and a BCS bowl victory under his belt, and 2 RRR Golden Hat trophies. That puts him on par with Hybl and White and Bradford.

So if we win it all this year that means Landy will have won 2 Big 12 titles, 2 BCS bowls with one of those being the National Championship then he is the greatest quarterback in OU history.

Careful. OU has two QBs who have led the team to two national championships, and several who went undefeated.

I also have a problem with rating QBs solely on what rings their teams won.

By your standard, Josh is the best Stoops-era QB because he won the NC. That's fine. We're all proud of him and happy he won it.

But does that make him better than Sammy just because Sammy's team came up a bit short? I don't buy that.

And shouldn't Josh's standing take a hit because he only played for us for two years, and one of those years his team was barely bowl eligible?

Here's my ranking, with Landry having a chance to move up but probably not down:

1. Sam
2. Josh
3. Jason
4. Landry
5. Nate
6. Paul
7. Rhett

I've got Landry at fourth, which seems low even to me, but that takes into account that his first season was less than spectacular, and that through the first half of last season he seemed to be a liability on the road. Also, consider that the three I placed ahead of him include two Heisman winners and a runner up. (Wow, that's an awesome fact in itself.)

If I was rating ONLY the 2011 Landry, to this point, he might move up to the second slot right behind Sammy. If he keeps it up, he could out number one or two in my rankings.

I'm also trying to find a way to put Bomar below seventh. Maybe I could move him below that guy that fell out of a truck?

EDIT: Just want to note that its not fair to say the 1999 Sooners were "barely bowl eligible." They only won seven games, but all seven were pretty much blow outs. And even if you took one win away, they would have gone 6-5 and probably still played in the Indy. But the larger point still stands.

SoonerPride
10/12/2011, 08:40 PM
lol, yes, Bomar should be below Brett Rawls.

Other than records and wins and trophies, I'm not sure how else one can truly judge quarterbacks.

Perhaps I was too hasty in saying Landry would be the greatest QB ever; that does seem a slight to the QBs of the Wilkinson and Switzer eras.

But sticking to Stoops' tenure, if Landry wins it all and owns all the records I'm not sure how anyone else can be above him. Oh, and if we go undefeated and are playing Bama for the Nat'l Championship, it's even money on Luck or Landry for the Heisman at that point. So he'll probably have one of those too.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 08:52 PM
Ability to feel pressure, throwing on the move, vision from the pocket, ability to control offense, etc....Like I said, it really depends on how you want to base your rankings...

Sometimes the most talented quarterbacks don't have as much talent around him..Can't say he is worse because he has guys who cant catch it or a line that can't block...sometimes, a not talented quarterback will have an all star cast around him...Ken Dorsey..Colt McCoy has more wins than anyone in college football and is about to be passed by kellen moore..Neither one of them is as talented as bradford..

Anyway, its fun to do though.

And I know Dorsey had a long career as a NFL backup..But I never saw anything from him to say he was great

Dwight
10/12/2011, 09:00 PM
If Landry wins the NC, he will be #1. If not….

1. Sam Bradford
2. Jason White
3. Landry Jones
4. Josh Heupel

Partial Qualifier
10/12/2011, 09:32 PM
To my uneducated eye, and only speaking in terms of talent & ability, I'd rank Sam and Landry a distant 1-2. Way ahead of the others.

1) Sam
2) Landry

3) Josh
4) Jason
5) ENA
6) Nate
7) Patrick ;-)

King Barry's Back
10/12/2011, 09:36 PM
If Landry wins the NC, he will be #1...

1. Sam Bradford
2. Jason White
3. Landry Jones
4. Josh Heupel

For those of you basing this ranking on championships, let's throw something out there.

Scenario#1 (the GOOD scenario): Assume the Sooners go undefeated into Stillwater, Landry throws for 700 yards and 7 scores, rushes for two more, and we beat them 77-76 - then go on to win the BCS Championship over, say Bama/LSU winner. Based on that, Landry moves to number one on the list. Fair enough.

Scenario#2 (the REALLY REALLY BAD scenario): Assume the Sooners go undefeated into Stillwater, Landry throws for 700 yards and 7 scores, rushes for two more, and we lose 78-77 - then go on to win a BCS Bowl over, say Bama/LSU loser. Based on that, Landry does not move to number one on the list.

That just doesn't make sense to me.

Dwight, on your list, Josh ranks fourth even though he is the only one to win it all. Granted, he didn't win the Heisman, but he came awfully close. As he was basically an unknown (nationally) going into the 2000 season, and Weinke had been the product of a long-standing PR campaign - they weren't really in a fair fight anyway. So that shouldn't be a factor, either.

One of the posters above had it just right, though. It sure is fun to think about.

Man, when Stoops arrived, I never dreamed that 12 years later we'd be able to argue which of our Heisman candidates turned out to be the best.

I was just going to be happy if we could put 11 on the field at the same time.

LVSOONER15
10/12/2011, 09:37 PM

That's exactly what I think.

Stooper
10/12/2011, 09:43 PM
All of your answers are awesome to read, just thought it was a fun question. As for me, if he continues on this path, I put him at Number 1. Even if he doesnt win a National Championship. I just think his talent, poise, and ability to bounce back after he makes a bad play, makes him really special. He seems to always make the crucial throws when we need them. Anyway, just my thoughts. Thanks for the great opinions!!!! Boomer!!!!

JiminyChristmas
10/12/2011, 09:53 PM
It seems to me that Jason gets undervalued in these discussions. He was the best athlete of the group especially with healthy knees (remember that first appearance against whorn?). I would say he threw the best deep ball of the group and definitely was the most mobile.

The way he battled thru the knees really made me root for the guy. I wish he had been healthy in that Sugar Bowl.

Obviously glad we get to claim all but one of them. A great group. Each guy had some special characteristics.

Landry has a chance to climb to the top of the list though. Not there yet though.

JLEW1818
10/12/2011, 10:00 PM
Sam Bradford
Josh Heupel
Jason White
Landry Jones

if it ended right now. in that order.

ouwasp
10/12/2011, 10:35 PM
Lotta good, well thought out opinions here...

To me, Josh is #1 because he was a major part of the rebirth of Sooner football after the Dark 90s. If Landry can lead OU to #8, he moves into second.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/12/2011, 11:08 PM
If Landry can lead OU ...

Here's a not well thought out opinion... but a gut feeling: I think above quoted is the key phrase in the summation of these opinions.

I think we all can agree we really SAW leadership from Josh, Jason, and Sam. It really was in the way they carried themselves. And how there was no panic to their game. At least that I can remember.. but I'm old and silly.

I don't know that I SEE leadership in Landry. There is no doubt he leads. His teamates say he is a strong leader. And that trumps anything we think we know about what is going on. But I think I am still waiting for that moment where Landry, under intense pressure, doesn't look like he is totally panicking to get rid of the ball. (No question he has been able to get rid of it, sometimes quite successfully, like that 3rd and 12 at FSU he converted. But it was almost as if his body did so with that wonderful arm of his despite his body language.) Or, when the chips are down, he has that look and carries himself with the demeanor that he is going to shove the ball right straight up the defense's A**.

I don't want anyone to mistake that I don't think he is an excellent QB. He is. I just don't see him up with Sam, Jason, and Josh yet.

But really, and this should be the main point of this thread, all four are truly excellent college QBs. It's really been an amazing era for Sooners QBs. We are spoiled, spoiled, spoiled...

TXBOOMER
10/12/2011, 11:21 PM
Sam
Jason
Josh
Landry
That is how I would stack them. There is nothing wrong with being right below two Heisman winners and a National Championship winner. LJ is a great QB. We have been lucky.

TXBOOMER
10/12/2011, 11:22 PM
Wow the longwhorn network ad at the bottom of the screen made me throw up.

Land Run Sports
10/13/2011, 10:24 AM
Here’s something to think about. The Cinderella Story…

Josh Heupel, Snow (Junior) College in Ephraim, Utah. Highly unlikely that he would’ve ever played football for the University of Oklahoma; credit Mike Leach for spotting his ridiculous talent. I doubt Heupel could’ve won the National Championship with any other “major” college football program. Let alone, runner-up for the Heisman – which he should’ve won. I know, we’re all happy with 2000 championship.

Nate Hybl, no big story behind this guy, but he did transfer from the University of Georgia. He led the Sooners to a Big XII Championship and a BCS Rose Bowl victory. He battled Jason White throughout his career for the starting role and actually won it in 2001 – see below.

Jason White, we all know his hardship stories, but did you know that he saw playing time in 1999 (Indiana State & Baylor) and 2000 (Nebraska & Baylor)? Keep in mind that Nate Hybl beat him out for the starting job in 2001. Who could’ve imagined White would recover from two busted knees in consecutive seasons (’01 and ’02) to recover and lead the Sooners to consecutive undefeated regular seasons and two National Championship appearances in ’03 and ’04. It’s hard to believe that he graced the field at some or another during his 6 seasons as a Sooner.

Paul Thompson, backup quarterback for two seasons, redshirted, moved to receiver and later converted back to quarterback. In 2006 he leads the Sooners to a Big XII Championship, highly unlikely scenario. Obviously, I wouldn’t include him in the rankings, but credit the coaching staff for making the most out of a crappy situation.

Sam Bradford, not highly recruited out of high school. In 2005 Rhett Bomar is the starting QB, in 2006 Bradord is redshirted. If Bomar wouldn’t have been such a buffoon, he would’ve been a junior and had 2 years as a starter under his belt. Instead, Paul Thompson fills the void in 2006 and the following year Bradford begins his legacy and later wins the Heisman. Credit the coaching staff for spotting Bradford’s talent and for incorporating the no huddle offensive scheme that lead to so many points being scored.

Landry Jones, probably the only exception to the “Cinderella story”, he was a highly regarded quarterback out of high school. Jones was thrown into action before he was ready in 2009, due to the Bradford injury. In 2010, Jones lived up to his potential and went to work on his legacy as one of the greatest QB’s under Stoops, or perhaps…

My ranking (as it stands today) is based on leadership and determination...
(1)Heupel (2) White (3) Bradford (4) Jones (5) Hybl……..Jones can absolutely move up the rankings.

rekamrettuB
10/13/2011, 10:38 AM
If this team wins NC then I would rank:

1 Heup
2 Bradford
2 Jones
4 White

and really the list stops there. Yes I have 2 2s. That's a helluva list. Hopefully we can have some more discussions like this in 10 years with 4 more names.

PrideMom
10/13/2011, 12:39 PM
Everyone is talking about athletes, but Heupel is still winning for OU! Without him all of the others would not even be on this list....

thecrimsoncrusader
10/13/2011, 12:54 PM
Heupel won 'Red October', Oklahoma's defense and special teams won the rest of the way. 20 TDs to 14 INTs isn't so hot and that's why he didn't win the Heisman Trophy. Damn bursa sac flare-ups was a huge problem in the second half of the season. You can play through pain, but that doesn't make you automatically just as effective. Regardless, he still goes down as a legend in the Sooner history books and rightfully so.

Landry Jones actually did very well his redshirt freshman year given the circumstances of the offensive line and receiving corps. As far as a passing QB as a redshirt freshman, Landry had the 3rd best redshirt freshman QB performance from a statistical standpoint in college football history behind Sam Bradford and then Colt McCoy.

The Maestro
10/13/2011, 01:03 PM
Josh will always be number one. He had the least talent around him. Q was still an unknown, lowly recruited sophomore. His receivers were converted players and little known 3 star recruits. His offensive line was full of converted players like Romero. Yet he orchestrated the offense like (uh...fill in a famous conductor here). It was an amazing thing to watch. He was to OU football what Peyton Manning is to the Colts. It's no knock on Sam, Landry, Jason or anyone.

In my book, Sam is in second now. Talent wise, he is the best we have ever had. Tightest spiral, great athlete and can throw it through a donut hole. He got to the title game and came up short, but he is to QB's what AD is to running backs at OU.

I put Jason third right now cause of the same as Sam, just not as talented. Sam and Jason had crazy talent around them.

Landry gets to the title game and automatically passes Jason. Win the title and moves to second. But again, great talent so no way he passes Josh. Sam, Jason or Landry has OU talent in 2000 and surely loses at least 1 or 2.

dennis580
10/13/2011, 06:05 PM

Um Heupel is no way, shape or form is the best. It is universally acknowledged that Sam Bradford is the best QB to ever play at OU, and Jones is the 2nd best QB to ever play at OU. OU's defense single handily won the NC game against FSU though granted Heupel had a arm injury, and couldn't throw.

Championships are a team accomplishment, and while they are important in judging a QB they alone do not decide who the best QB is.

dennis580
10/13/2011, 06:09 PM
Jones has a solid chance of passing Bradford as the greatest OU QB ever if he comes back for his senior year(which he will).

So I wouldn't at all be surprised if Jones is recgonized as the greatest OU QB ever at the end of his career.

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 06:16 PM

Jimmy Harris and Steve Davis beg to differ.

And, as far as GREATEST, I'd put Mildren damn high on that list.

The thread stated "Stoops Era", let's leave it at that.

Now, I am admitting something that isn't rational, but it would take a lot...maybe even more than 1 NC, for me to think Landry is better than Sam. I simply think Sam is, and if he'd stayed healthy, one of the best college QBs ever, not just at OU...regardless of stats.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2011, 06:30 PM
Bradford
Heupel
White

That's my top 3. White is absolutely the best pure-passer I've ever seen.

StoopTroup
10/13/2011, 07:58 PM
Your Team can be loaded with talent and you can have a QB that sucks.

We don't. We have the best QB in College Football right now. He's a leader, He takes hits, He improves every game and makes our talent look as good as he is. He never quits and he runs our Fast Tempo Offense better than Sam did. Anyone that can't see it...I just don't know what to say except you don't see it.

The number of plays he's throwing at defenses is incredible. Josh and Jay have his playbook loaded with plays and audibles. He's the smartest QB we've had since Josh was at the helm of our 2000 National Championship team. Those they say he lacks Talent....I think there was plenty of guys that made the NFL that looked exactly like Landry does right now. We haven't seen his best game yet. He's gets better and better every time I see him play.

Because Josh was only here 2 years.....I don't think we ever got to see his best game and unfortunately his injury at Miami ended his playing career and moved him into Coaching. Something that seems to have paid off for us over the last few years.

Landry goes down as the best IMO and yeah some of it is because this is our Best Team we've ever had IMO too. We've had Teams that had Great Players but IMO....not one with as many as we have right now.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 10:11 PM
We don't. We have the best QB in College Football right now. He's a leader, He takes hits, He improves every game and makes our talent look as good as he is. He never quits and he runs our Fast Tempo Offense better than Sam did. Anyone that can't see it...I just don't know what to say except you don't see it.

:)

EatLeadCommie
10/13/2011, 10:43 PM
1 - Sam
2 - Josh
3 - Jason
4 - Landry

Landry has a chance to move into the 3 position.

Serge Ibaka
10/13/2011, 11:03 PM
1. Sam
2. Landry

3. Heupel
4. White

Is it weird to think that Landry will never reach Sam's hype (even if he wins a title & Heisman)? Sam is just so darned lovable (is it his goofy face? is it because he's an Okie?). Maybe I'm just underrating how much I would grow to love Landry if we made a title run--Landry just isn't in my hand-full of favorite Sooners on this team; I feel like I hardly know him.

I think that the votes going to JH are based upon a fervent pathos: he won us a title; we all like him as a coach; he was a part of the most exciting OU season that recovered Sooner Football from a dark-age.

But Landry and Sam are better (more talented). I believe that they will have bigger legends in future decades; sadly, Josh's title has been tainted (over-shadowed) by OU's lack of BCS success during the following years.

Curve-Ball: is Paul Thompson's 2006 season underrated given the circumstances? OU had several big wins that year (including @ Oregon :encouragement:). The relative success of that season is lost to Bomar + Boise State.

Okie35
10/13/2011, 11:08 PM
Ask me when the Landry "era" is over. As far as talent right now I'd put him slightly behind Sam (Sam's 1). I think Sam may throw a better deep ball. This is individual talent right?! Sam did have a better offensive line by far.

BigTip
10/14/2011, 10:19 AM
But I think I am still waiting for that moment where Landry, under intense pressure, doesn't look like he is totally panicking to get rid of the ball.

That's how I was too. He was putting up numbers, but he always had the deer in the headlights look and act to him.

Until this last week's RRR. I think it was a big turning point and a great start to a Heisman run. Poised, cool looking, reacting to down field developments, the total package. He had two or three dropped passes too. If they were caught like they should have been, it would have made his game numbers even better and more impressive.

So I guess that means I am ready to jump on the "Landry is best band wagon" if he keeps playing that way. Like has been stated, he is going to break just about every record there is. That has to mean something.

EatLeadCommie
10/14/2011, 10:36 AM
The reason I have Sam as #1 (and by a wide margin) is his combination of smarts and ability. Nobody at OU, and dare I say in college football in the last several years, has ever been as accurate a passer as Sam. He put the ball on the money and in stride almost every time. He also did not settle into the brain fart modes that we've seen both Landry and Jason settle into. When Sam threw the ball, he is the only QB where I didn't worry about who the ball was thrown to. I knew it was going to our guy. If it was intercepted, it was usually either because the receivers couldn't hold onto it (see the NC game vs. UF) or because they screwed up the route. He was equally good out of shotgun or from center, and in spite of what the pundits were saying after his Heisman year, arm strength was never a concern on him.

For Landry to be #4 on my list with a good shot at #3 is a testament to how far he has come. No way I would've said that at this point last season.

Partial Qualifier
10/14/2011, 10:57 AM
Wow, Serge and I actually agreed on something. :)

thecrimsoncrusader
10/14/2011, 11:09 AM
Sam was the best freshman and sophomore QB and college football history. The stats bare that out and he didn't do it in a mid-major class conference.

The Maestro
10/14/2011, 11:26 AM
So you guys think Sam wins just as much as Josh with the talent Josh had around him? Interesting.

Serge Ibaka
10/14/2011, 05:03 PM
Wow, Serge and I actually agreed on something. :)

Glad to hear it. :)

Sooner football can always be common-ground.