PDA

View Full Version : Player Most Likely To Leave Early After This Season

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 02:46 PM
Is Ronnell Lewis...Everything I'm hearing and seeing is that his academic struggles from this off season are most likely going to land him in the NFL Draft a year earlier than what would be best...I'm hearing late 1st/potential early 2nd round for him..If he could wait till 2013, that status would probably be higher..he is an exceptional athlete but right now he would be a 3-4 OLB at his current weight..that makes his draftability situational on who runs that scheme and who needs an OLB..

Lewis is a good kid with a good reputation from what I hear..He will do well whatever he does.

The Maestro
10/12/2011, 02:46 PM
Yep. NFL body. School issues. No reason to stay. Go make the $$$.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 02:50 PM
It's really the first thing I thought of when I heard of the academic issues..Then I had a few contacts asking me questions about him and when I heard where they would want to take him, it was kind of a no brainer

NormanPride
10/12/2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I think that's kind of assumed. As long as he's eligible for the bowl game I will be happy.

Widescreen
10/12/2011, 03:05 PM
Remember those people who said it was no big deal if he didn't become eligible? Yeah, fun times.

85sooners
10/12/2011, 03:13 PM
Remember those people who said it was no big deal if he didn't become eligible? Yeah, fun times.Quote Originally Posted by CBUS_SOONER View Post
HAHAHA!!!!So Dusty said he looks good in practice he must be great... I got ya!!! When did you start playing sports? Not saying he is bad or anything... Just a lot of hype for a player that has had a couple nice hits on special teams.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/12/2011, 03:14 PM
Ronnell LOVES The University of Oklahoma but he also has little ones to take care of. That kind of money will definitely make it a little bit easier as opposed to the college life.

yankee
10/12/2011, 03:29 PM
I knew who this thread was about before I clicked on it. There certainly has been a lot of smoke about him going to the NFL after this season on Twitter.

badger
10/12/2011, 03:46 PM
The only way I could see Stoops encouraging him to stay is if he's not a first rounder. It's still a big difference, even with the slotted salary thingie that the NFL has going. It means more guaranteed money, more job security, more everything to be the team's first rounder as opposed to a team's fifth rounder (as many late round rookies discovered this year --- cut cut cut).

Even with the slotted scale, Stoops would likely not encourage a sure-fire first rounder to stay unless the player really really wanted to (like GK, Sammie and Jermaine all really wanted to).

I saw someone (Kiper or Todd) list him as fifth-best prospect at his position right now. I imagine that stock will just continue to climb as OU gets on TV and continues to win more. Our defense is a monster this year.

SunnySooner
10/12/2011, 04:12 PM
When you're making hits like THIS...in 7th grade...yeah, maybe you ought to go earn your bucks asap, especially if you're struggling at school. We're not all rocket surgeons, right, and I always think kids coming from super small schools like Dewar have a hard time adjusting to university life, the classwork is just so much MORE, and you often need remedial classes to make up for courses you weren't offered, etc. Add OU football on top of that, it would be really hard. Ronnell also comes from a family (and I think has a baby) that would probably benefit from a big check. I hate to see him go, though, he's a baller.

MyvFr6ib5JA

rekamrettuB
10/12/2011, 04:15 PM
WHERE'S THE FLAG!?!?

When you're making hits like THIS...in 7th grade...yeah, maybe you ought to go earn your bucks asap, especially if you're struggling at school. We're not all rocket surgeons, right, and I always think kids coming from super small schools like Dewar have a hard time adjusting to university life, the classwork is just so much MORE, and you often need remedial classes to make up for courses you weren't offered, etc. Add OU football on top of that, it would be really hard. Ronnell also comes from a family (and I think has a baby) that would probably benefit from a big check. I hate to see him go, though, he's a baller.

MyvFr6ib5JA

That's scary seeing Ronnel running downhill from what appears to be his free safety position. WOW!!!

SunnySooner
10/12/2011, 04:21 PM
I've felt sorry for Josh ever since I saw that clip a few years ago. Poor kid, probably still has nightmares about it. He's just a crumpled little heap of pads and helmet after Ronnell demolishes him. And the Hammer just pops up and struts off. He knew he was a bad *** at 13. Scary is right.

CBUS_SOONER
10/12/2011, 04:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by CBUS_SOONER View Post
HAHAHA!!!!So Dusty said he looks good in practice he must be great... I got ya!!! When did you start playing sports? Not saying he is bad or anything... Just a lot of hype for a player that has had a couple nice hits on special teams.

and ur point 85? I stand by what I said. I love evey time there is a post about Ronnell you add this post. You are lke a little girl!!! Get over it.

badger
10/12/2011, 04:24 PM
You are lke a little girl!!! Get over it.

I resemble that remark :mad:

CBUS_SOONER
10/12/2011, 04:26 PM
I resemble that remark :mad:

Sorry!! I assume ur a woman. I did say lil girl

Peach Fuzz
10/12/2011, 04:33 PM
**** this thread is depressing... Screw you step

Lol that video.. "Go Josh, go Josh....ohhh.... josh?"

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 04:35 PM
you are welcome

meoveryouxinfinity
10/12/2011, 04:39 PM
I think Ronnell has a couple kids by a couple mothers....

Breadburner
10/12/2011, 04:41 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~ManODestiny/kyle1.jpg

OMG....!!!!!!! He killed Josh....!!!

zeptrey
10/12/2011, 04:43 PM
I think you all need to lay off that dope your smoking. He's a great player and could be awesome at the next level. He's isn't a first rounder or second rounder in next year's draft though. He needs to stay so he has the potential to make even more money.

Breadburner
10/12/2011, 04:44 PM
I think you all need to lay off that dope your smoking. He's a great player and could be awesome at the next level. He's isn't a first rounder or second rounder in next year's draft though. He needs to stay so he has the potential to make even more money.

I think you need to pull your head out.....

cantwait48
10/12/2011, 04:45 PM
ouch, I like that lady yelling go Josh, go Josh, then oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I think that kid tried to avoid the hit by going down before Lewis got there but he was a bit late

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 04:45 PM

Yeah, and potentially not make the grades and not be able to play..after all he had an easy time of it this year...Good call.

trwxxa
10/12/2011, 07:51 PM

I agree, but if he is having school and family issues, it would be best to take the chance.

If I remember, one of the reasons for the move to DE was his inability to handle everything thrown his way at LB. The NFL will be much more difficult. I can see him going 3rd round where a team can let him focus on special teams while he tries to learn the defense.

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 08:00 PM
Remember those people who said it was no big deal if he didn't become eligible? Yeah, fun times.

That was me too. :beaten:

And I hear he is a nice guy. Dosnt seem to be too smart of the field and in the classroom. But he has no reason to stay. He needs money any way he can get it at the next level. He has 2 kids with 2 different women. That is a lot for a young man.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 08:03 PM
I agree, but if he is having school and family issues, it would be best to take the chance.

If I remember, one of the reasons for the move to DE was his inability to handle everything thrown his way at LB. The NFL will be much more difficult. I can see him going 3rd round where a team can let him focus on special teams while he tries to learn the defense.

Actually 3-4 OLB, depending on the team, is not a complicated position..A lot less than OLB in a 4-3...Think Terrell Suggs

VA Sooner
10/12/2011, 08:29 PM
That vid gives all parents nightmares I'm sure. What a hit!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 08:53 PM
I watched it several times trying to figure out where he came from

85sooners
10/12/2011, 09:52 PM
No punk

NormanPride
10/13/2011, 07:31 AM
I hope the Packers pick him up! We need someone opposite Matthews. :D

zeptrey
10/13/2011, 08:47 AM
Did he miss a game this year due to grades? No... He'll be fine. You chicken littles need to chill maybe I need to retract my previous statement...and start hitting the dope!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 08:55 AM
yeah it wasn't even close..there was never even any eligibility issues at all for him and it was all easy..and school just gets easier..

Do I listen to a guy with a handful of posts on a message board or do I listen to contacts from blesto and a few directors of scouting?...tough choice

PLaw
10/13/2011, 09:08 AM
Is Ronnell Lewis...Everything I'm hearing and seeing is that his academic struggles from this off season are most likely going to land him in the NFL Draft a year earlier than what would be best...I'm hearing late 1st/potential early 2nd round for him..If he could wait till 2013, that status would probably be higher..he is an exceptional athlete but right now he would be a 3-4 OLB at his current weight..that makes his draftability situational on who runs that scheme and who needs an OLB..

Lewis is a good kid with a good reputation from what I hear..He will do well whatever he does.

A Jimmy Wilkerson clone. The FREAK and The HAMMER. D'em boys are a pair to draw to.

Adios, Ronnell - I sure wish you would hang for one more, but a man has to do what a man has to do.

BOOMER

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 09:15 AM
Guys, let me add..This thread is "most likely"..not "going to" or "really should IMO"...

NormanPride
10/13/2011, 09:28 AM
No, we see how it is. You think he's an idiot that would rather take a few handfuls of dollars than help us win another championship next year. Don't play with me, step. I know your game.

;)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2011, 09:31 AM
I love you

olevetonahill
10/13/2011, 09:34 AM
Guys, let me add..This thread is "most likely"..not "going to" or "really should IMO"...

Some folks got LOW readin compression

PDXsooner
10/13/2011, 09:55 AM
Josh's Mom shut up real quick on that video. Wow.

BillyBall
10/13/2011, 10:57 AM
Dosnt seem to be too smart of the field and in the classroom.

God this is perfect...

85sooners
10/21/2011, 06:07 PM
the hammer will hunt all you muthas down and destroy your faces

stoops the eternal pimp
12/22/2011, 01:09 AM
I think you all need to lay off that dope your smoking. He's a great player and could be awesome at the next level. He's isn't a first rounder or second rounder in next year's draft though. He needs to stay so he has the potential to make even more money. This was my favorite response to this thread...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/22/2011, 01:09 AM
Did he miss a game this year due to grades? No... He'll be fine. You chicken littles need to chill maybe I need to retract my previous statement...and start hitting the dope!

This one was good also

Augusta_Sooner
12/22/2011, 09:31 AM
There's no reason for Lewis to stay, even if he's not a 1st rd draft pick. 2nd rd picks make good money too, especially if you have kids to feed. It's not like he's going to sign a 10 yr deal; he'll sign for 3-4 yrs and if he progresses as DE or OLB, then his next contract will pay him even more. If Tebow can get drafted in the 1st rd being a running QB with a long wind-up throw from hell, then Lewis, with all of his potential has a shot at the 1st rd as well. Remember, Lewis is a physical specimen who will excel at the combine in Feb. Guys tend to move up the draft boards with tremendous work outs. If you were in his shoes, would you turn down 2nd rd money (assuming he'll be drafted in the 2nd rd) just to come back for one more year and risk injury? I wouldn't.....

Scott D
12/22/2011, 10:41 AM
He'll grade out pretty much where CL did when he left early.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/22/2011, 02:02 PM
There's no reason for Lewis to stay, even if he's not a 1st rd draft pick. 2nd rd picks make good money too, especially if you have kids to feed. It's not like he's going to sign a 10 yr deal; he'll sign for 3-4 yrs and if he progresses as DE or OLB, then his next contract will pay him even more. If Tebow can get drafted in the 1st rd being a running QB with a long wind-up throw from hell, then Lewis, with all of his potential has a shot at the 1st rd as well. Remember, Lewis is a physical specimen who will excel at the combine in Feb. Guys tend to move up the draft boards with tremendous work outs. If you were in his shoes, would you turn down 2nd rd money (assuming he'll be drafted in the 2nd rd) just to come back for one more year and risk injury? I wouldn't.....

Once again, if you are all for players leaving early then you need to also have lower expectations for W/L totals. There has only been one player leave early where we didn't feel it immediately the next year -> Tommie Harris -> and then we felt that in the bowl game.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2011, 03:06 PM
Once again, if you are all for players leaving early then you need to also have lower expectations for W/L totals. There has only been one player leave early where we didn't feel it immediately the next year -> Tommie Harris -> and then we felt that in the bowl game.

I'm not for players leaving early, but I suspect Ronnell has already made the decision implicitly. He probably would have a hard time getting admitted into school next semester.

oudavid1
12/22/2011, 03:43 PM

If he wasnt a good football player at OU, you wouldn't be sticking up for him. The guy dosnt go to class, and has made bad decisions.
He is a good player, wouldn't go as far as to say he is a "good kid".

stoops the eternal pimp
12/22/2011, 03:46 PM
So, he knows he isn't going to finish school and not going to class makes him a bad kid?

Tear Down This Wall
12/22/2011, 04:05 PM
So, he knows he isn't going to finish school and not going to class makes him a bad kid?

It makes you bad if you're an upper middle class or rich white kid, and everyone in your family, working or not, has a degree, whether they need it or not.

Ronnell has the opportunity to do for his family without a college degree. And, that's...okay. You white people need to just accept it.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2011, 04:18 PM
It makes you bad if you're an upper middle class or rich white kid, and everyone in your family, working or not, has a degree, whether they need it or not.

Ronnell has the opportunity to do for his family without a college degree. And, that's...okay. You white people need to just accept it.

I'm detecting a trend here.

Tear Down This Wall
12/22/2011, 05:16 PM
I'm detecting a trend here.

If you're white, just accept it!

Mississippi Sooner
12/22/2011, 05:31 PM
I'm white, but I'll never accept it. Fight the power!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/22/2011, 05:51 PM
http://www.peoplequiz.com/images/quizzes/the-jerk-steve-mar-4782.jpg

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2011, 06:31 PM
If you're white, just accept it!

Got a little Cherokee in me, otherwise must accept it.

oudavid1
12/22/2011, 07:16 PM

Not doing what you agreed to do is not good behavior. He also has engaged in other activities that are un-encouraged in society. Which in my mind is not "good" behavior. Just because he can run full-speed into some Standford return man dosnt overwrite the fact that he is a bad student and has made bad decisions. I wish him the best, I just dont see what is "good" about him off the field.

Tear Down This Wall
12/22/2011, 07:37 PM
Noneya could be Barry Switzer. He understood that the culture of the players was different than the culture of the alumni. Player may grow up in an environment without educated people, rife with crime, dope smokin', and whatnot.

Many kids are lucky to have gotten to the point athletically where they can get some way out of their impoverished little town or crime-ridden hell hole of an inner city.

It's a little comical, the "kid doesn't realize what he's doing" bit. The coaches and academic "advisors" likely had him set up in a crap degree program anyway. Schools are hypocritical in that regard, pretending to be concerned about athletics, but steering the kids into easy, worthless degree programs that don't add up to jacksh*t in the real work world.

Then, some fans are going to pooh-pooh a kid because he can get money to take care of his family due to his athletic achievement at a young age?

Give me a break. OU makes millions off the backs of these kids. Scholarships my a*s. The cost of a scholarship next to what OU football rakes in every year isn't even comparable.

Add in the wear and tear on the young man's body that won't be covered medically by the school once he's used up his scholarship:

These guys aren't robots without emotion,
they're not what they seem.
They've come to help us,
with our problems,
so we can be free.
They're not heros,
They're not saviors;
forget what you know.
They're just young men whose circumstances
went beyond their control, beyond Stoops' control.
Beyond their control,

I enjoy watching them play, and love OU because my family's from Oklahoma. But, you can't take your life's environment and circumstances and pretend they are equal to what Ronnell or any of them have faced and overcome.

Let the kid go make his money...and get off his nutsack. Stoops makes millions and his coaching staff makes hundreds of thousands. They'll get by without this kid.

pumpafartout.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2011, 08:03 PM
Not doing what you agreed to do is not good behavior. He also has engaged in other activities that are un-encouraged in society. Which in my mind is not "good" behavior. Just because he can run full-speed into some Standford return man dosnt overwrite the fact that he is a bad student and has made bad decisions. I wish him the best, I just dont see what is "good" about him off the field.

Stanford Stanford Stanford aaaarrrghh

oudavid1
12/22/2011, 08:09 PM
Stanford Stanford Stanford aaaarrrghh

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/angry/bang-head-on-desk.gif (http://www.sherv.net/bang.head-emoticon-700.html)

I have been typing a lot.

freshchris05
12/22/2011, 09:07 PM
Maybe YOU should go to class more David. I'm pretty sure they still teach spelling.

oudavid1
12/22/2011, 09:55 PM
Maybe YOU should go to class more David. I'm pretty sure they still teach spelling.

I know how to spell it. I just lost focus.

En_Fuego
12/22/2011, 10:09 PM
I know how to spell it. I just lost focus.

God Da*mt David...........How dare you stand up to all these idiots.............:smiley_simmons:

Augusta_Sooner
12/23/2011, 08:20 AM

Players leaving early can lower the W/L totals? Really? Thank you Mr. Obvious.....

Augusta_Sooner
12/23/2011, 08:35 AM
I don't think he's a bad kid, but he let his team down by not fulfilling his academic obligations even though he's still on scholarship and reaping the benefits of being a student-athlete. As a result, he will not play in the last game of his career. That's not the best way to end your career at OU. I wonder if he would have kept up his academic obligations if OU were playing in a BCS bowl game or the BCS title game?

yankee
12/23/2011, 10:40 PM
I feel like Dirty David by just saying this...but signs point to Landry leaving after this year. Hoping it's not true.