PDA

View Full Version : KU: "Show Up or Shut Up"

SoonerofAlabama
10/11/2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.kansan.com/news/2011/oct/11/show-or-shut-time-football-preps-oklahoma/?sports

The stage won’t get any bigger for Kansas during the 2011 season.

When the sun sets in Lawrence this Saturday night, Memorial Stadium will just begin to come to life. The Jayhawks will be playing under the lights, at 8:15 p.m. Saturday, against the No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners, with ESPN2 airing the game to a national audience.

The bigger stage and opponent for Kansas increases the responsibility of the players to hold up their end of the bargain this week — a task that won’t be easy, especially after the Jayhawks 70-point debacle at Oklahoma State Saturday.

But one player had a simple for message for how the team could take responsibility. “Primetime 8 p.m. versus OU, show up or shut up,” junior safety Lubbock Smith wrote on the a wall in the team’s meeting room, responding to the added pressure this week.

“It’s a matter of trying to separate the boys from men,” Smith said. “We play against OU this Saturday. They’re number three in the country, either you’re going to show up, or you’re going to shut up.”

Smith said he chose not to write about forgetting the Oklahoma State game, because the game is one they cannot forget. He said he looks at failure as a chance for opportunity and that this team has an opportunity to see if they really want to play and be a great competitor or just go through the motions.

He said he did not want to call out any particular players when writing the show up or shut up comment, because if they lose, they all lose together. Individual mistakes on the field are understandable, but this week people are really going to see if they are pushing forward and trying to win, Smith said.

Senior linebacker Steven Johnson said that the writing on the wall has been a rallying call this week for the team to stay positive.

“We’re staying positive as a group and it’s hard to do that after the past couple of weeks,” Johnson said. “When you stay positive, anything can happen. You don’t want to go negative ‘cause then everything will go downhill.”

For the Jayhawks, the Sooners provide an intimidating challenge. They bring in the sixth-best total offense in the country, with a defense that allows 15.6 points per game.

“It’s a great challenge for us, we’re looking forward to it. It’s one of the top offenses in the nation and they have some of the top receivers in the nation,” said Tyler Patmon, a senior defensive back.

Just as Smith preached about the opportunity the Jayhawks have in the matchup against the daunting Sooners, coach Turner Gill did not deny the excitement that comes along with playing a top football team during “Prime Time.”

“It’s human nature to get excited about playing good football teams,” Gill said. “We always talk about how you only get a few opportunities, so you better make the most of them. This is another opportunity for us to try and make the best of.”

badger
10/12/2011, 08:21 AM
The KU players don't like to be told to "shut up." It is a hurtful way of requesting silence and there are many kinder, gentler ways of expressing such a request.

KU would politely ask that the headline read "Show up or remain silent," or better still "We are all winners," "Everyone deserves to be hugged," and "The scoreboard is biased and unfair so it should be ignored lest we hurt one team's feelings."

Sooner_Tuf
10/12/2011, 10:04 AM
Shut Up Homie

cleller
10/12/2011, 10:26 AM
"Show up or don't show up, we're gonna get murdered."

Bourbon St Sooner
10/12/2011, 10:29 AM
You can show up, but when your players are more suited for intramurals than D-1 football the result still isn't going to be good.

badger
10/12/2011, 10:40 AM
Shut Up Homie

Now, bear crawl on the practice field while I poke you in the chest with my finger! AND STOP CRYING!!!!!!!!

thecrimsoncrusader
10/12/2011, 10:42 AM
Oklahoma is number one in the country. I'm not sure why an antiquated poll like the AP Poll is still being referenced by so many. The AP Poll had a good run, but that was then and this is now.

badger
10/12/2011, 10:46 AM
Turner Gill probably confiscated the cell phones a few days early to make sure the players are fully concentrating on losing to OU!

NormanPride
10/12/2011, 10:52 AM
Goals for this game:

Win.
Stay healthy.

Who cares about anything else?

badger
10/12/2011, 10:55 AM
KU goals for the game:

Catch Turner Gill embarrassing KU so he has to leave without getting the rest of his contract paid.
Dump his assistants shortly after.
Beg Mangino to return.

Howzit
10/12/2011, 11:07 AM
Show up, but if you don't you still get a trophy.

badger
10/12/2011, 11:15 AM
Show up, but if you don't you still get a trophy.

Participation ribbon. After the ticket scandal, buying out the former AD and Mangino and having to pay for Turner $2 million every year whether they fire him or not, there just isn't any money to throw around (for football. basketball on the other hand...)

SoonerLaw09
10/12/2011, 11:18 AM
That's right. $$$$$$$$$$$

badger
10/12/2011, 11:42 AM
KU players' parents once protested teachers taking away recess as punishment. Today, there is so much more for them to protest:

- Taking away playing time for any reason other than to "give other players an equal opportunity to play"
- Opposing coaches running up the score, even a few points, more than KU is scoring
- The raising of coaches voices at players, especially the usage of unkind verbiage such as swear words (i.e. "homie")
- The behavior and/or absence of fans attending the game. Our sons accepted a scholarship to KU expecting thousands to cheer, not hundreds to boo!
- The unequal love KU shows its football program compared to its basketball program. KU fans should love their Jayhawks equally!
- The lack of postseason trips. Why do other schools take their teams to bowl games but KU does not?

badger
10/12/2011, 11:45 AM
PS: Yes I am ragging on KU. The fact that their athletic director forced Mangino out for unproven hearsay reasons, then was exposed for the basketball ticket scandal and then forced out himself sealed it: Screw the Jayhawks for as long as Mangino's successor (I use that word loosely) is around. Lose, lose, lose. I also hope for similar fates of Arizona and Tex Tech.

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 12:17 PM
When I first saw this, I thought it was for their fans. I mean I think the players will be plenty excited, i would think fans/students are already thinking of basketball season.

badger
10/12/2011, 12:21 PM
When I first saw this, I thought it was for their fans. I mean I think the players will be plenty excited, i would think fans/students are already thinking of basketball season.

They totally are... but like other melting down fanbases I've peeked at, there are still those vocal intraweb fans that truly seem to care about football, even at basketball schools.

I think they all realize how good Mangino was for them, how Lew Perkins screwed them and how screwed they'll continue to be without Lew and with Turner coaching football.

OUstud
10/12/2011, 12:28 PM
PS: Yes I am ragging on KU. The fact that their athletic director forced Mangino out for unproven hearsay reasons, then was exposed for the basketball ticket scandal and then forced out himself sealed it: Screw the Jayhawks for as long as Mangino's successor (I use that word loosely) is around. Lose, lose, lose. I also hope for similar fates of Arizona and Tex Tech.

This. KU football deserves everything they're getting. I just hope that it's a lesson that possibly untrue "non-PC" behavior shouldn't force a coach out if the team is successful; pussification has no place in college football. Mangino's last year wasn't great, but if he were still the coach, I guaran-damn-tee KU wouldn't be anywhere near this situation. And their players would be getting laid and going out.

That said, I hope OU hangs 70 on them, partly because of this crap but mainly because we need to get more respect in the polls and "only" winning by 30 isn't going to help...

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 12:29 PM
They totally are... but like other melting down fanbases I've peeked at, there are still those vocal intraweb fans that truly seem to care about football, even at basketball schools.

I think they all realize how good Mangino was for them, how Lew Perkins screwed them and how screwed they'll continue to be without Lew and with Turner coaching football.

Makes me sad :(

I want them to be good.

badger
10/12/2011, 12:35 PM
I did want them to be good... till the Mangino crap. Finger poking... using the word "homies" ... asking a kid if he wanted to be a lawyer or a drunk like his dad.. bear crawling the practice field... all just hearsay from players, and while others spoke out in his defense in how he changed the losing culture at KU into a winning one, the arrogant, pushy AD who apparently didn't like the headstrong Mangino used this as an excuse to get in someone he could push around more easily.

I'd like to think it was a blessing in disguise for Mark, that he was able to get some time with his family that he couldn't have for years, that he could get in better health (he looked like he had lost weight when I saw him at the Red-White game) and think about what he wanted to do next.

I'd also like to think that there are KU fans that called BS on Lew's reason to let Mark go... seriously, finger poking?! Boo hoo! Dan Hawkins has a rant he'd like to rant at you :)

Alas, KU needs to pay for the sins of their last admin... with a big huge loss Saturday. Don't just score tons of points... SHUT THEM OUT.

btb916
10/12/2011, 12:42 PM
I hope Kansas shows up. Nothing fun about picking on weaklings. Unless they are from UT, that is.

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 12:45 PM
I hope Kansas shows up. Nothing fun about picking on weaklings. Unless they are from UT, that is.

I would agree.

cvsooner
10/12/2011, 12:47 PM
Oklahoma is number one in the country. I'm not sure why an antiquated poll like the AP Poll is still being referenced by so many. The AP Poll had a good run, but that was then and this is now.News people seem to be honoring the Associated Press poll as a work product. Regardless, it's a poll...just a bunch of compiled opinions, for right or wrong, for better or worse. Doesn't really matter at this point.

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2011, 12:55 PM
News people seem to be honoring the Associated Press poll as a work product. Regardless, it's a poll...just a bunch of compiled opinions, for right or wrong, for better or worse. Doesn't really matter at this point.

considering ABC owns espuken....I'm sure they want to go with the ap poll...media...

IronHorseSooner
10/12/2011, 01:25 PM

I have from a pretty good inside source that they arleady have.

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 07:50 PM
I have from a pretty good inside source that they arleady have.

lol :courage:

MyT Oklahoma
10/12/2011, 08:48 PM
These are the same guys who lost a fight to their basketball team, right?

KU is going to die.