PDA

View Full Version : Mushberger

SoonerPride93
10/11/2011, 07:29 PM
There are tons of great sports announcers out there but this guy takes a back seat to nobody!

silverwheels
10/11/2011, 07:34 PM
I'm pretty sure he's been terrible for the past few years.

A Sooner in Texas
10/11/2011, 07:50 PM
When Keith Jackson was in his prime he was a million times better than Mushberger ever dreamed of being. As was Pat Summerall when he was on the wagon (and who, btw, was one of my dad's Kappa Sig bros at Arkie).

SoonerPride93
10/11/2011, 07:55 PM
This thread was a joke!

A Sooner in Texas
10/11/2011, 08:03 PM
Thank god...was a little worried about your mental state there for a minute. :calm:

Lott's Bandana
10/11/2011, 08:03 PM
I always liked Chris Schenkel on ABC's Saturday NCAA Game of the Week.

tfoolry
10/11/2011, 08:13 PM
"He's looking for another interception" -still laughing about that one

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 08:21 PM

Amen, brother. Loved it especially when your own Bud Wilkinson did the color commentary with him. Chris had the perfect voice for it. Those were the days...Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles after that though later on in the '70s were a pretty good tandem also. Used to really like seeing Barry needle his old coach before and after the games....

As for Brent, hell, being the SEC -hater and Big 12 supporter that he is I figured he would be a cult hero over here....

tfoolry
10/11/2011, 08:23 PM
I prefer the Boz on TBS doing OU games several yrs ago.

SoonerofAlabama
10/11/2011, 08:27 PM
You are Looking Live... at soonerfans.com

En_Fuego
10/11/2011, 08:28 PM
As for Brent, hell, being the SEC -hater and Big 12 supporter that he is I figured he would be a cult hero over here....

Really ?

tfoolry
10/11/2011, 08:42 PM
Nothing like when the Boz added commentary during post game of a TBS game and referred to his days of playing when an opposing player squeezed his nuts. Guess that's why he only worked studio for a few games.

Partial Qualifier
10/11/2011, 08:43 PM
You are Looking Live... at soonerfans.com

SoonerofAlabama BREAKS FREE!

cccasooner2
10/11/2011, 08:45 PM

I got a little tired of "And now ladies and gentlemen,...".

finster
10/11/2011, 09:08 PM
I remember him being pretty sharp doing SEC games.
The waterboy just needed some water.
Wow Dan, did you come up with that all by yourself?
Shut up, Brent.

JiminyChristmas
10/11/2011, 09:34 PM
I always liked Don Criqui when he did our Orange Bowl games. Thought his voice was really cool.

Partial Qualifier
10/11/2011, 10:07 PM
HE'S IN A FOOTRACE!

8timechamps
10/11/2011, 10:14 PM
I prefer the Boz on TBS doing OU games several yrs ago.

The Boz may be my all-time favorite Sooner (although there was a period of time I was pissed off at him for things he wrote in his 'book", but that passed). However, he was terrible as a color/studio guy. There was one night on TBS, where I guess he was sick, and did most of the show laying on the couch in the studio eating Chili's to go. Funny, but probably not a good move on his part.

BoomerJ
10/11/2011, 10:16 PM
Not a fan of Mooseburger, but I got a good chuckle out of "Red River Bloodbath" and "Texas is getting taken to the woodshed".

ouleaf
10/12/2011, 08:16 AM
I always like Brent's intro for the game, but then the game starts and it just goes down hill from there. His awareness as to what is actually going on on the field is not what it was, and Herbie often has to correct him on a call or play that happened where Brent said something that was either incorrect or didn't make any sense.

Hell, there was a spot during the game last week where he started talking about baseball. I love baseball, but it wasn't even the least bit related to the game we were watching.

Dan Thompson
10/12/2011, 08:18 AM
Later in life, Jackson was biased for USC I would almost get sick.

olevetonahill
10/12/2011, 08:25 AM
Heh, THE BEST sports announcer for all time
I give you

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2011, 08:52 AM
Howard was great, no doubt. But not a play-by-play dude.

He was much better when there was something unique going on. When the game was boring, so was Howard.

olevetonahill
10/12/2011, 08:58 AM
Howard was great, no doubt. But not a play-by-play dude.

He was much better when there was something unique going on. When the game was boring, so was Howard.

Yup
Remember the time he said sompun like " Baseball is a dull and unexciting sport" In his slow assed voice?

Partial Qualifier
10/12/2011, 09:14 AM
I always like Brent's intro for the game, but then the game starts and it just goes down hill from there. His awareness as to what is actually going on on the field is not what it was, and Herbie often has to correct him on a call or play that happened where Brent said something that was either incorrect or didn't make any sense.

Hell, there was a spot during the game last week where he started talking about baseball. I love baseball, but it wasn't even the least bit related to the game we were watching.

I liked how both he and Herbstriet completely missed our first turnover. They never even acknowledged the Texas QB fumbled and we recovered the ball..

King Barry's Back
10/12/2011, 09:32 AM

Isn't Chris Schenkel the guy that used to partner up with Bud Wilkinson to call games? If so, Dude, that was a long time ago.

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2011, 09:41 AM
I'm old enough to remember most of your signature.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 09:49 AM

Man, I loved that guy growing up...Honestly, I would watch bowling sometimes just so I could hear him

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2011, 10:27 AM
Some of his sportcoats would put Sager to shame.

soonerinabilene
10/12/2011, 11:08 AM
Brad Nessler is todays best, imo.

The Maestro
10/12/2011, 12:07 PM
Brent Musburger has called some of the great OU games and I have always enjoyed him. I think he has a great ability to grasp the dramatic moment. He's not perfect...he misses some things...so do all of you armchair broadcasters at home. There is a lot going on in that booth and down in the truck. Musburger and Herbie are as good a combo as college football on T.V. has employed. To think these guys have an interest in who wins is ludicrous. Kind of a redneck mentality if the announcer isn't jerking off OU the entire game.

rock on sooner
10/12/2011, 12:14 PM
The one thing that Brent does that gets next to me is when there is a momentum shift or a perceived one, he immediately begins
using superlatives instead of allowing the tension of the game to build naturally. It's a small thing but it is a little distracting.
Maestro, you're right about the tandem of Brent and Herbie.

Seamus
10/12/2011, 12:22 PM
Brent Musburger has called some of the great OU games and I have always enjoyed him. I think he has a great ability to grasp the dramatic moment. He's not perfect...he misses some things...so do all of you armchair broadcasters at home. There is a lot going on in that booth and down in the truck. Musburger and Herbie are as good a combo as college football on T.V. has employed. To think these guys have an interest in who wins is ludicrous. Kind of a redneck mentality if the announcer isn't jerking off OU the entire game.

That's one way to look at it, and to an extent, I agree.

On the other hand, Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy were so clearly anti-OU I wouldn't **** on 'em if they were on fire.

As for Brent, Mrs. Seamus is fond of telling this story: In '88, after years of losing epic battles to OU, Nebbish finally wins a game, in some really shyte, foul weather -- something like 7-3.

Brent asks Dr. Tom, "Coach, Coach, what does this victory mean for you?"

Well, Mrs. Seamus and me are still in courtin' mode, so I've been on me best behavior. But I'm stewing after the loss, and when I hear this question, I just lose it and blurt out at the top of my lungs:

"IT MEANS HIS WIFE IS GOING TO PHUCK HIM TONIGHT!"

Well, that didn't blow it with the soon-to-be-Mrs. S, and we're still married. And she laughs whenever this comes up.

The Maestro
10/12/2011, 12:26 PM
On the other hand, Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy were so clearly anti-OU I wouldn't **** on 'em if they were on fire.

They called one game a year when NBC did the Orange Bowl and they were just horrible. Trumpy talked about how slow Lydell Carr was all night in the 1986 Orange Bowl until Lydell busted out and ran virtually untouched for the game clincher for the national title.

Hot Rod
10/12/2011, 01:22 PM
"All the BBQ you want!"

Lawton4Life
10/12/2011, 01:30 PM
"All the BBQ you want!"

I watched the replay when I got home, and right before that, Brent said that Fozzy's Uncle/Cousin/Some Relative is a skycab at the airport and told Brent to tell Fozzy if he didnt have a good game he wouldnt get any BBQ when we came home. Brent wasnt being a hood wearer or anytihng

3DSooner
10/12/2011, 09:10 PM
Brent has always been a OU pumper, but, his time is passin him by. As is Corso's. Gotta feel sorry for Herbie since he has to put up with these old farts whose ship has sailed! Geesus, how bad would it be to sit next to Corso and deal with that? Did anyone see Lee take a big ole bite outta a corny dog and then hand it to Herbie and tell him to try it?
Herbie gracefully set it aside with a look on his face that said " I don't friggen think so!"

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2011, 09:12 PM
I don't mind brent..but he is definitely getting older...

Partial Qualifier
10/12/2011, 09:17 PM
Brent has always been a OU pumper, but, his time is passin him by. As is Corso's. Gotta feel sorry for Herbie since he has to put up with these old farts whose ship has sailed! Geesus, how bad would it be to sit next to Corso and deal with that? Did anyone see Lee take a big ole bite outta a corny dog and then hand it to Herbie and tell him to try it?
Herbie gracefully set it aside with a look on his face that said " I don't friggen think so!"

That's what he gets for his repeated attempts to throw us under the bus in 2008.. he's a jerkoff

OklaPony
10/13/2011, 10:26 AM
I don't mind brent..but he is definitely getting older...
^^This^^

Keith Jackson (the announcer) is a steaming pile of horse manure. I think he hated Switzer and just kept on hating Oklahoma ever since. I completely gave up on him when he said that we (OU) were "soiling the steps of the Rose Bowl" before we went in and knocked Wazzu into the oblivion where they belonged.

F him and the horse he rode in on.

You can quote me on that.

cccasooner2
10/13/2011, 10:58 AM
I always wanted a commentator that would sing the "Wabash Cannonball" like Dizzy Dean.

yankee
10/13/2011, 11:34 AM
"The young man from Chula Vista...."
"The young man from Lancaster, Texas..."
"The young man from soonerfans.com..."