PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina dismisses quarterback Stephen Garcia

Okie35
10/11/2011, 01:29 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/campus-rivalry/2011/10/11/garciax-large.jpg

Stephen Garcia's turbulent career with South Carolina is over. The senior quarterback was dismissed from the team Tuesday.

"Being a student-athlete at the University of South Carolina is a privilege, not a right," athletic director Eric Hyman said in a statement, "and we remind all of our student-athletes that there are consequences for their actions. For Stephen to return to and remain with the football squad this fall, we agreed on several established guidelines. Unfortunately, he has not been able to abide by those guidelines and has therefore forfeited his position on the roster. We wish him the best of luck as he moves forward in life."

Garcia was suspended five times during his career, including twice this spring. He managed to return to the team in time for preseason practice, and coach Steve Spurrier praised him for showing better judgment.

However, Garcia did not show the form of last season when the Gamecocks won the SEC East title. He struggled in consecutive games against Vanderbilt and the team's first loss to Auburn.

Spurrier then benched him as the team's starter last week in favor of sophomore Connor Shaw, who threw for 311 yards and four touchdowns against Kentucky.

"We are all saddened that this has occurred," Spurrier said in a statement. "We all feel like we've given Stephen numerous opportunities to be a student-athlete here at South Carolina. Obviously, he has chosen not to follow the guidelines of his reinstatement contract. We wish him the best."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/south-carolina-quarterback-stephen-garcia-dismissed/1

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:30 PM
Thank God that was a recruitment that didn't go our way

kevpks
10/11/2011, 01:31 PM
What a head case.

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 01:33 PM
Thank God that was a recruitment that didn't go our way

THIS

Though I get the idea that Stoops would have had him transfer before he even got on the field.

unbiasedtruth
10/11/2011, 01:33 PM
word on the street I hear he likes the booze too much and this has been the cause of all his problems while at south carolina

badger
10/11/2011, 01:34 PM
I wonder if Garcia said "eff it" after he lost his starting job and broke every part of his "contract" to return to the team and they were just waiting to announce it publicly that he was gone till after the Kentucky game?

PDXsooner
10/11/2011, 01:35 PM
I heard one of the rules he had to follow was not to suck, but he unfortunately broke it.

Boomer.....
10/11/2011, 01:36 PM
Funny how they dismiss him after they name another starter.

Okie35
10/11/2011, 01:37 PM
word on the street I hear he likes the booze too much and this has been the cause of all his problems while at south carolina

Yup. He got kicked off for failing a sobriety test.

BigJerm7
10/11/2011, 01:40 PM
maybe he sucked so bad because he was always drunk.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:45 PM
THIS

Though I get the idea that Stoops would have had him transfer before he even got on the field.

Yeah but it would have been another wasted scholarship..and we had enough of those around that time.

DarrellZero
10/11/2011, 01:49 PM
Funny how they dismiss him after they name another starter.

This.

SCSoonerfan
10/11/2011, 01:55 PM
And Spurrier Refused to do a press conference with the main newspaper TheState sports columnist Ron Morris in attendance. Seems Spurrier thinks Ron wrote an untrue story about him and the team and is going to do 1 on 1 press conferences with the media if Mr. Morris is in attendance.

Sooner in Tampa
10/11/2011, 02:02 PM
Garcia...just another young man that had the world at his finger tips coming out of high school, only to **** it all away!!

Oh well...now he's just another statistic

8timechamps
10/11/2011, 02:03 PM
It's too bad. The kid was given more than enough second-chances from the old ball coach. Clearly there's something off with his mental state.

He'll realize in about 20 years that he made some pretty bad choices.

sooner59
10/11/2011, 02:15 PM
athletic director Eric Hyman

Heh.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 03:41 PM
59....heh, you picked it out