PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Numbers on Top 5 Teams--Which Ones are Balanced?

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 12:41 PM
Interesting stuff, but of course not surprising...

Oklahoma 1878 pass yds, 795 rush yds.
Boise 1494 pass, 757 rush.
Stanford 1488 pass, 951 rush

LSU: 1100 passing yds, 1101 rush yds.
Alabama: 1307 passing yds, 1302 rush yds.

Granted, LSU/Bama have played one more game than you guys, but I doubt that would drastically change the disparity shown here.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 12:44 PM
You're point?

I will say this much.

IF OU goes undefeated, going into the BCS title game...I feel sorry for the SEC team that they have to face!

SteelClip49
10/11/2011, 12:45 PM
LSU and Alabama are just down right scary on offense with those numbers being balanced. No wonder they can't be stopped. When they face each other next month, I am afraid to see what could happen. LSU/Bama is one game not to bet on. If I had to pick a score, it would be Bama winning, 14-10.

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 12:50 PM
You're point?

I will say this much.

IF OU goes undefeated, going into the BCS title game...I feel sorry for the SEC team that they have to face!

Keep talking smack--we'll see you in January!;-)

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 12:51 PM
Here is an interesting fact for you:

Scoring Off:
OU: #9 45.00/game
LSU: #21 38.50/game
Bama: #22 37.67/game

Scoring Defense:
Bama: #1 7.00/game
LSU: #8 12.50/game
OU: #12 15.60/game

One thing about these stats, these are all based on the entire game, not necessarily their respective offenses or defenses.

For example, Texas only scored 10 points on the actual OU defense. If the stats reflected it, then the as a defense only allows 14.20 points per game. Same for OU's scoring offense. the defense scored 3 TDs.....but I think you get the point.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 12:52 PM
Keep talking smack--we'll see you in January!;-)

Im curious...outside of a very overrated Florida Team, who has Bama played so far?

Hmmmmm.....yeah, on paper they have the worse SOS so far between the top 3 teams.

Next?

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 12:53 PM
LSU and Alabama are just down right scary on offense with those numbers being balanced. No wonder they can't be stopped. When they face each other next month, I am afraid to see what could happen. LSU/Bama is one game not to bet on. If I had to pick a score, it would be Bama winning, 14-10.

Their offenses are not scary...and neither are their defenses.

They are getting a crap load of hype for playing a bunch of D3 schools! LMFAO

freshchris05
10/11/2011, 12:56 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

olevetonahill
10/11/2011, 12:57 PM

Granted, LSU/Bama have played one more game than you guys, but I doubt that would drastically change the disparity shown here.

Heh Interesting Stat.
Total yards
2673 OU
2251 Tater head state
2439 Stanford
2201 LSU
2609 Bama

Course Yall have played 1 more game than us so those aint really indicative of anything .:smile:

Peach Fuzz
10/11/2011, 12:58 PM
Seriously, I can't wait to play either one. Time to shut some people up. No offense to BAMA, but I want revenge on LSU in their back yard.

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 01:00 PM
Here is an interesting fact for you:

Scoring Off:
OU: #9 45.00/game
LSU: #21 38.50/game
Bama: #22 37.67/game

Scoring Defense:
Bama: #1 7.00/game
LSU: #8 12.50/game
OU: #12 15.60/game

One thing about these stats, these are all based on the entire game, not necessarily their respective offenses or defenses.

For example, Texas only scored 10 points on the actual OU defense. If the stats reflected it, then the as a defense only allows 14.20 points per game. Same for OU's scoring offense. the defense scored 3 TDs.....but I think you get the point.

Who's arguing the prowess of your team's O? I am talking about BALANCE on that side of the ball, genius. SOS? The computers, which take that into account, disagree with you.

JiminyChristmas
10/11/2011, 01:05 PM

Being balanced in football has nothing to do with the total yards being the same or close to it between the passing game and the running game. It also has nothing to do with calling the same number of run plays versus pass plays.

When coaches talk about the need to be "balanced", it means that you need to be good enough at both to be able to do whichever one the defense is giving you on any given play.

There are a lot of ignorant football fans out there that do not understand this concept.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:06 PM
Without considering who they have played, that Bama defense is stacked...Courtney Upshaw, Dre Kirkpatrick, Mark Barron, Dont'a Hightower, Josh Chapman, Robert Lester..They are all first round material...The Florida team that came in averaging 259 yards a game rushing was held to 29..And truthfully having watched a little film on the weekend, this Tide defense has room for improvement in some basic areas..And that's crazy to think, but it's true.

Okie35
10/11/2011, 01:09 PM

Yea it will, we play KU. We have a good chance to blow that out the water.

OU_Sooners75
Who's arguing the prowess of your team's O? I am talking about BALANCE on that side of the ball, genius. SOS? The computers, which take that into account, disagree with you.

And the computers also say Boise State has a tougher SOS than OU.

LOL...yeah...this early in the season it is all too early to tell...that is my entire post you SEC troll!

Balance? OU doesnt need balance against LSU, a team that has a good DL but questionable LBs and a young but inconsistent Secondary.
Balance? OU wouldn't need balance when ti comes to playing Bama too.

The thing is, OU takes what the defense gives. If the team lines up 8-9 guys in the box to stop the run, OU passes. If the defense goes into a nickel or dime all game, OU will run.

Unlike Bama or LSU...a team with the talent, speed, and experience to match them can sacrifice to stop the run. If they are successful, they will likely win the game since the offense of LSU and bama only gain in their passing games because of play action. And play action only works when there is success in the run game.

Widescreen
I'm shocked that a passing team has more yards passing than running. Shocked!

Okie35
10/11/2011, 01:11 PM
Without considering who they have played, that Bama defense is stacked...Courtney Upshaw, Dre Kirkpatrick, Mark Barron, Dont'a Hightower, Josh Chapman, Robert Lester..They are all first round material...The Florida team that came in averaging 259 yards a game rushing was held to 29..And truthfully having watched a little film on the weekend, this Tide defense has room for improvement in some basic areas..And that's crazy to think, but it's true.

Its all good the weaknesses on both Bama/LSU are their secondarys.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 01:12 PM

So their defense has more first round draft picks on it than most NFL teams do?

Yeah Okay.

Bama is the better of the two on defense. But honestly...FLorida is their marquee win up til now and that is not really saying a whole heck of a lot.

jk the sooner fan
if WVU can hang 500 yards on LSU, so can we....

Sabanball
Seriously, I can't wait to play either one. Time to shut some people up. No offense to BAMA, [B]but I want revenge on LSU in their back yard.

We've got unfinished business with you guys.;-)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:13 PM
balance in itself is overrated in today's game anyway...Situational running or passing, depending on your team's play calling, is what is important..

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:14 PM

Brodie Croyle is still looking for his liver

Peach Fuzz
10/11/2011, 01:16 PM

Ughhhhh can't it wait till like, next time we're stacked?

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 01:16 PM
Its all good the weaknesses on both Bama/LSU are their secondarys.

Are you kidding? Our two corners, Kirkpatrick and Barron, will both be top round NFL picks...they are the strength of our D, and Mathieu @LSU is the arguably the best in the country

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 01:19 PM
Are you kidding? Our two corners, Kirkpatrick and Barron, will both be top round NFL picks...they are the strength of our D, and Mathieu @LSU is the arguably the best in the country

I wonder how many Broyles, Stills, Reynolds, Landry's, Millers, Finch's, etc they have played!

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 01:20 PM
I will just say this....

The last 7 times OU has had an offense and defense this good in the same year, they have won the national championship!

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 01:22 PM
I wonder how many Broyles, Stills, Reynolds, Landry's, Millers, Finch's, etc they have played!

The matchup of Stills(6'1") and Broyles(5'10/11??) with Barron(6'2") and Kirkpatrick(6'3") would be great to see!

primetime43
10/11/2011, 01:25 PM
The thing that concerns me and its haunted us in the past is not punching it in from the goal line. Its why Florida beat us in 08. We're going to move the ball up and down the field but once we get to 1st and goal we have to find a way to score. If we can't do that consistently LSU/Bama will beat us.

A separate note who wouldn't love to see Stills vs Mathieu Blonde vs Blonde...who ya got? I would love to see Stills pop that guy and shut his yap.

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 01:26 PM
balance in itself is overrated in today's game anyway...Situational running or passing, depending on your team's play calling, is what is important..

Stoops,

You might be right to some degree, but ask any coach and they will still tell you that is what they strive for. In the end though, your O has to mainly take what the opposing D gives....

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 01:40 PM
We see the same argument every year, and here's a slightly different take on it.

If OU had to play Bama or LSU next week, I'd take Oklahoma, regardless of location.

If OU has to play either of those teams with a month to prepare in a bowl setting, that's a much tougher pick to make.

Weekly games don't give coaches time to prepare for multiple offenses, so you see Saban and Miles preparing for what you see in the SEC. A month of practice and film time is quite another matter, and explains why OU has struggled some in bowls against top teams. OU runs their offense about as well as you can during the season, so an extra month isn't going to give you anything you don't already have. The opposing defense gets to rest up and catch up, schematically, and learn tendencies better than any weekly opponent.

So you see, you're right and you're wrong. The only thing I hope for is that this bowl break (whichever one OU ends up going to), is as good for our defense as it is for theirs, because that will be a true sight to see.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:41 PM
Stoops,

You might be right to some degree, but ask any coach and they will still tell you that is what they strive for. In the end though, your O has to mainly take what the opposing D gives....

Yeah, it's what they all say..Barry Switzer used to say it every year..Stoops says it, Saban does..I've learned watching teams instead of listening to what they have to say usually shows you something different...I'll show you my point with numbers.

The 2000 NC team for us was ranked 70th in rushing and just a yard or 2 different and we're in the 80s..Looking back at that team, it was situational running that led to success..The running game was rarely established unless it was a less than stellar opponent.

How about your 2009 championship team..They were ranked 90th in passing offense...and 12th in rushing..I bet Saban led off the season saying they wanted to be balanced that year.

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 01:42 PM
The too long; didn't read version:

Time off is better for defenses than for offenses, and that plays to the SEC strength and minimizes weaknesses on their end.

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 01:43 PM
Hell, how many PASSES did Bama even attempt in that 09 Championship? They knew where their bread was buttered.

primetime43
10/11/2011, 01:50 PM
STEP I was curious where Fleming and Hurst are projected next level? Fleming seems to have all the tools.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 01:52 PM
The matchup of Stills(6'1") and Broyles(5'10/11??) with Barron(6'2") and Kirkpatrick(6'3") would be great to see!

Yeah, I highly doubt that Bama would be placing a corner on SE Broyles. That would give a greater mismatch for Reynolds, Franks, Miller, etc to exploit.

Okie35
10/11/2011, 01:56 PM

I'm not saying they aren't good. I'm saying that's the weakest part of the team. It's true. Geno Smith lit up LSU's secondary. Bama's run defense is better than its pass defense, no? I arrest my case. I didn't ohhh both their secondaries are awful. I just said its their the weakest part of the defense. Also, KDre Kirkpatrick is a little overrated when it comes to coverage. He's a big hitter though. I don't think he's any better than Prince (both were really good at run support) and well you saw how that went.

mhackl
10/11/2011, 01:57 PM
I enjoyed watching a SEC schemed defense get torched in Dallas last weekend.

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 01:59 PM
Looking at what the teams we've played have done, we haven't done crap yet. Though I still say that FSU is good, and we just broke them.

Still, we'll see how well LSU and Bama do in their bowl games. They don't have much versatility, no matter what the numbers say. To me, seeing absolute balance in the numbers means your passing game is weak.

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 02:00 PM
And that's what would happen if we played LSU at a neutral site this Saturday, but not nearly to that extent. LSU has playmakers where Texas just does not. It would be a much closer game, but then, most games are. =)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 02:01 PM
STEP I was curious where Fleming and Hurst are projected next level? Fleming seems to have all the tools.
Hurst in the NFL is a size issue...With so many 6' corners, it's harder for that 5'8-5'9 guy to get drafted high....I'm not saying he can't play in the league, I'm saying it hurts draft status...He is listed at 5'10 on the roster but I think the 5'8-5'9 is more likely..If he is a true 5-10, he is a 3rd-4th round..at best...if he is 5'8ish, 7th round maybe..

I had Fleming has a 4th round pick last year, but he is sliding a bit this year...against the run, very solid..Pass coverage from him is a little suspect still as his awareness and ball recognition isn't quite there. Probably from rust, but he has to pick that up..I'm going to late 6th right now..

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 02:06 PM
You think Fleming has been solid in the run? Half of the big runs against us have been to his side directly because he's been taking terrible angles...

Partial Qualifier
10/11/2011, 02:07 PM
This is not the Holy Grail of the 2011 college football season, Saban. I get the feeling you think otherwise.

Offensive coordinators say they like to run & pass with equal effectiveness, not equal results in terms of yards. It would be fair to look at those numbers and ask: what's wrong with your passing game?

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 02:07 PM
According to the SEC fans and Media...all College Football should just quit and let LSU and Bama play for the national title!

You know...2000-01 to 2005-06 the Big 12 was the top conference. 2006-07 to 2010-11 the SEC has been the best.

This is the first year since 2005-06 that the computers are showing a conference topping the SEC...that is the Big 12.

That said, this year reminds me a lot to about 2006-07. Texas coming off a national championship (Auburn), all the buz surrounding the Big 12 as the top conference, with a couple of SEC teams poised to take it over (LSU & Florida)...,yet everyone was talking about the Big 12 mid way through the season.

Then WHAM! the SEC reels off 5 straight National Championships.

I am not saying the Big 12 is going to run off five straight titles, but I can see the Big 12 winning the national championship this year for the simple fact that the SEC is getting all the hype and love while the Big 12 is sitting there beating the hell out of whomever they are playing.

No matter the outcome, a Big 12 team will face an SEC team in the BCS title game!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 02:08 PM
He took a bad angle early on against texas, but he's been solid for the most part...Not spectacular, but solid.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 02:09 PM
You think Fleming has been solid in the run? Half of the big runs against us have been to his side directly because he's been taking terrible angles...

So we are using our corners as run stoppers now?

I really think that those responsibilities are for the front 7 and the two safeties. No matter the era of football, since the forward pass, the corners have always been responsible for pass first! If the corners are having to make a bunch of tackles on run support it is not a very good thing!

Bourbon St Sooner
10/11/2011, 02:15 PM
New England Patriots Pass: 367 Rush: 130
New Orleans Saints Pass: 337 Rush: 115

Maybe sabanball can show Bill Belichek and Sean Payton how to run an offense, because obviously these guys are doing it wrong.

3rdgensooner
10/11/2011, 02:18 PM
I'm skeered.

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 02:20 PM

I really think that those responsibilities are for the front 7 and the two safeties. No matter the era of football, since the forward pass, the corners have always been responsible for pass first! If the corners are having to make a bunch of tackles on run support it is not a very good thing!

For between the tackles, classic power running, yes, sure. If you're seeing sweeps, jet sweeps, reverses, screens...a good corner has to be able to play the run and the pass, and be able to shed a block when he needs to to get to the ball carrier. Oddly enough, for a team playing LSU or Bama, the corner's first responsibility is not to fall asleep and let a guy float by as you play your 10th straight run coverage. That gets you beaten deep, and is clearly the desired effect of the play-action scheme they use.

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 02:20 PM

I don't know what this is. Nobody is saying that our corners are primary run focused. But they need to be good in run support otherwise we have no shot at stopping anyone.

Partial Qualifier
10/11/2011, 02:21 PM
New England Patriots Pass: 367 Rush: 130
New Orleans Saints Pass: 337 Rush: 115

Maybe sabanball can show Bill Belichek and Sean Payton how to run an offense, because obviously these guys are doing it wrong.

Great point.

I'll add this:
58 rushing YPG difference between Alabama (217) and Oklahoma (159).
158 passing YPG difference between Alabama (218) and Oklahoma (376).

When facing a well-rounded team like OU, you're gonna need to lean on your passing game at some point. Would you be confident going into that game having only gained - on average - 218 YPG passing?

thecrimsoncrusader
10/11/2011, 02:25 PM
You really have to be careful with stats. Florida has a good defense, right? Look at three of the opponents they have played on their schedule that have greatly assisted in their scoring defense numbers (and rushing and pass defense numbers as well):

Florida Atlantic is averaging 14 points per game on offense.
UAB is averaging 12 points per game on offense.
Kentucky is averaging 13 points per game on offense.

Those will put a major spin on defensive numbers that aren't even close to being accurate in terms of legitimate performance as Florida found out against Alabama and LSU.

LSUdeek
10/11/2011, 02:32 PM
if WVU can hang 500 yards on LSU, so can we....

Need I remind you that LSU won 47-21?

thecrimsoncrusader
10/11/2011, 02:38 PM

Winning doesn't escape the fact that LSU's defense isn't "all that". And the final score made the game look easier than it actually was given it was 27-21 with 1:16 to go in the 3rd quarter. Giving up 533 yards and 28 first downs is a lot to give up when West Virginia had FOUR turnovers.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 02:40 PM

Need I remind you we are not WVU and we take care of the ball!

badger
10/11/2011, 02:43 PM
you SEC troll!

Sabanball's not an SEC troll. He's regular visitor that is quite cordial and nice, like many Bammers we met back in 2002 and 2003 in our home-and-home.

Please be nice to our resident Bammers. They're far better to deal with than many SEC fanbases.

LSUdeek
10/11/2011, 02:43 PM
Winning doesn't escape the fact that LSU's defense isn't "all that". And the final score made the game look easier than it actually was given it was 27-21 with 1:16 to go in the 3rd quarter. Giving up 533 yards and 28 first downs is a lot to give up when West Virginia had FOUR turnovers.

They started most of their possessions inside the 5. We had a poor tackling day. Chavis elected to let them throw their 5 yard passes and make tackles behind them.

LSUdeek
10/11/2011, 02:47 PM
Need I remind you we are not WVU and we take care of the ball!

Geno Smith has 3 interceptions on the year. 2 of them were against LSU. Lots of teams take care of the ball against teams other than LSU.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/11/2011, 02:49 PM

If WVU could tackle, you guys would have been in a lot more trouble in that game. On that kickoff return after they cut it to 6, they had 4 guys that had the returner dead to rights and couldn't tackle the guy. WVU had all the momentum at that point. It would have been interesting if lsu had to drive the ball from there. But again, give lsu credit for doing what it takes to win. I also give lsu credit for the turnovers. They attack the football.

badger
10/11/2011, 02:49 PM
deek, i'm sorry to say, your confernece has been quite disappointing other than your top two teams (you and Bammer). The Big 12 also has two top teams and then some dropoff, but a lot left to be seen for KSU and Baylor... wow, can't believe I typed that for those two teams. murderer's row, lol :D

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 02:53 PM
WVU isn't very good... Down at the half to Norfolk State. And that's not even a real state.

LSUdeek
10/11/2011, 02:54 PM
deek, i'm sorry to say, your confernece has been quite disappointing other than your top two teams (you and Bammer). The Big 12 also has two top teams and then some dropoff, but a lot left to be seen for KSU and Baylor... wow, can't believe I typed that for those two teams. murderer's row, lol :D

I dont give Gundy any credit for putting 70 up on Kansas. Y'all put 77 up on Franchione and barely scored 14 against us in the NCG. The Big XII has (1) top team.

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 03:00 PM
They started most of their possessions inside the 5. We had a poor tackling day. Chavis elected to let them throw their 5 yard passes and make tackles behind them.

Hey, that's cool. That was Manny Diaz' plan on Saturday, too.

Granted, the LSU defense is way ahead on talent behind the LOS compared to Texas, but the philosophy is the same. The first play of the game was bailout coverage from the corners to give up an easy first down that turned into 40 yards when the corner couldn't tackle.

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 03:01 PM
I dont give Gundy any credit for putting 70 up on Kansas. Y'all put 77 up on Franchione and barely scored 14 against us in the NCG. The Big XII has (1) top team.You should also thank Bill Snyder for a bit of that success in the Championship game. The hurt they put on OU and White that day really shook up what they wanted/were able to do.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 03:11 PM
I dont give Gundy any credit for putting 70 up on Kansas. Y'all put 77 up on Franchione and barely scored 14 against us in the NCG. The Big XII has (1) top team.

Good thing LSU's offense only scored 14 on our defense!

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah, White played with a few broken bones if I remember. And then Chuck Long didn't run the damn ball. :mad:

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 03:14 PM
Geno Smith has 3 interceptions on the year. 2 of them were against LSU. Lots of teams take care of the ball against teams other than LSU.

WOW!!!!! And Texas' double QB system had ZERO INTS until they played OU! big freakin deal.

Let me put it this way. 27-21 late in 3rd. WVU was able to move the ball, but they decided to have mercy on the overrated LSU team and give them the ball so they could win the game.

Fact is deek, LSU's defense is nothing spectacular!

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 03:16 PM

Seems just like the SEC with Alabama!

CBUS_SOONER
10/11/2011, 03:19 PM
We will need to run the ball better if we wanna beat Lsu/bama... I think we need to run it better to win the rest of our games...

JiminyChristmas
10/11/2011, 03:20 PM
Even Herbstreit jumped on the OU bandwagon saying that the Bama and LSU defenses might be a little better than OU's defense, but OU's offense is light years ahead of both of their offenses. That was his explanation to why he has OU ranked #1 in his opinion.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 03:20 PM
I can agree with that

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 03:24 PM
Even Herbstreit jumped on the OU bandwagon saying that the Bama and LSU defenses might be a little better than OU's defense, but OU's offense is light years ahead of both of their offenses. That was his explanation to why he has OU ranked #1 in his opinion.

Maybe...but statisically speaking, they are all very equal and comparable.

Defense that is anyway.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/11/2011, 03:28 PM
sec folks are starting to sound a lot like whorns.

No! No! We have to be the best because we're sec!sec!sec!.

Seriously, STFU!

LSUdeek
10/11/2011, 03:29 PM
WOW!!!!! And Texas' double QB system had ZERO INTS until they played OU! big freakin deal.

Let me put it this way. 27-21 late in 3rd. WVU was able to move the ball, but they decided to have mercy on the overrated LSU team and give them the ball so they could win the game.

Fact is deek, LSU's defense is nothing spectacular!

This is another spurious fact. I'll let it play out come January :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2011, 03:47 PM
We've been over this on this board before.

OU's problems in National Title games revolve around officiating and not in the way most people think. This isn't a complaint about calls so much as it is about our inability to adapt to a totally different philosophy. Big 12 refs are extremist when it comes to pass interference. Watch any bowl game with Big 12 refs and you'll see PI get called all over the place. Since we get this behavior for 12 games a season, it trains both our DBs as well as our WRs to expect it. But in bowl games, the one set of refs we are guaranteed to NOT get are big 12 refs. Typically, we get guys from the Big 10/Pac 10/Sunbelt who allow a lot of physical play in the secondary. Thus against the SEC and USC, our receivers have been pushed around and our passing game has been pretty much nullified.

It isn't that LSU or Florida or USC or WVU or BSU were that much better than us, it was that we just couldn't adjust to being popped at the line and then armbarred across the formation. Its also why our more "physical" receivers tended to have monster games where our superstars were silenced. This year's receiver corps is a little different in that all of them are fairly adept at handling physical corners. In year's past, getting to the title game you'd have to discount our passing game by 50% or more. This year, that number will be in the 20-25% range.

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 03:52 PM
We will need to run the ball better if we wanna beat Lsu/bama... I think we need to run it better to win the rest of our games...

Our offense goes with what the Defense gives us.

We run the ball pretty good every game in certain situations. We do not need a ground and pound running attack to beat any team int he nation...we rarely run play action passes anyway!

AlboSooner
10/11/2011, 03:54 PM
Sabanball, what do you think of the Mike Leach philosophy that true balance depends on how you spread the ball to your best players? He thinks that even number of passes and rushes doesn't mean you are balanced, but true balance is when your best players touch the ball.

Barry Switzer won three NC's with this philosophy.

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 03:55 PM

OU's problems in National Title games revolve around officiating and not in the way most people think. This isn't a complaint about calls so much as it is about our inability to adapt to a totally different philosophy. Big 12 refs are extremist when it comes to pass interference. Watch any bowl game with Big 12 refs and you'll see PI get called all over the place. Since we get this behavior for 12 games a season, it trains both our DBs as well as our WRs to expect it. But in bowl games, the one set of refs we are guaranteed to NOT get are big 12 refs. Typically, we get guys from the Big 10/Pac 10/Sunbelt who allow a lot of physical play in the secondary. Thus against the SEC and USC, our receivers have been pushed around and our passing game has been pretty much nullified.

It isn't that LSU or Florida or USC or WVU or BSU were that much better than us, it was that we just couldn't adjust to being popped at the line and then armbarred across the formation. Its also why our more "physical" receivers tended to have monster games where our superstars were silenced. This year's receiver corps is a little different in that all of them are fairly adept at handling physical corners. In year's past, getting to the title game you'd have to discount our passing game by 50% or more. This year, that number will be in the 20-25% range.

So you think we'll make it? You don't think our D will lapse and Landry will fall on himself in a game before then? Interesting...

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 03:56 PM
This is another spurious fact. I'll let it play out come January :)

I guess giving up over 530 yards to a decent, but not great offense, is spectacular!

My bad!

Okie35
10/11/2011, 04:02 PM

I don't know in the Big XII ship last year they allowed a lot of physical contact.

CBUS_SOONER
10/11/2011, 04:02 PM
Our offense goes with what the Defense gives us.

We run the ball pretty good every game in certain situations. We do not need a ground and pound running attack to beat any team int he nation...we rarely run play action passes anyway!

I see what u r saying... but we will need to be balanced to beat LSU/Bama.

Iam4OUru
10/11/2011, 04:03 PM
Being balanced in football has nothing to do with the total yards being the same or close to it between the passing game and the running game. It also has nothing to do with calling the same number of run plays versus pass plays.

When coaches talk about the need to be "balanced", it means that you need to be good enough at both to be able to do whichever one the defense is giving you on any given play.There are a lot of ignorant football fans out there that do not understand this concept.

This is correct, and, being "balanced" keeps the defense from keying in on any particular aspect of your game.

You're right about the "fans" and alot of those very ones are from the SEC...SEC...SEC!!!

Iam4OUru
10/11/2011, 04:09 PM

You need to get out more.

Bammer has beaten an Ar-Kansas team that is getting better every week and will beat LSU. They've also played Penn St....a middle-of-the-pack Big 11 + 1 team.

LSU beat Oregon and their gimmick offense with turnovers served up at the Duck goal line. They also beat a team that might win the Big Least.

Who else have they beaten? Two-thirds of the SEC basically sucks.

toast
10/11/2011, 04:58 PM
SEC fans never admit that their teams have any weaknesses, they believe their teams could hang in the NFL. Their offenses are unstoppable and their defenses can shut any team down. Any hint of trying to have a sensible conversation that another team could have any success against them and they quickly revert to the draft status of their players and the BCS streak. It's like talking to the proverbial brick wall.

If OU makes it to the BCS championship game, this team does seem to be a bit more physical than others in the past. Obviously there are areas OU needs improvement in, but they will have a shot at any team they face. Just don't say it to an SEC fan because they are invincible.

LiveLaughLove
10/11/2011, 05:08 PM
First off as far as Bama is concerned....scoreboard, and scoreboard! Bama doesn't make OU shake with fear. Neither does LSU, I promise you.

Bama can run the ball. That is our D's weakness. We can throw the ball. That is Bama's weakness.

You are going to think your guys strengths are better than ours, and our weaknesses are worse than yours. Vice versa.

Stats don't mean squat. Just like all such arguments, it won't be decided on a message board, but on the field.

If we make it there, we will once again, be the decided visitor at the Sugar Bowl, whether it's Bama or LSU. We have yet to play a BCS championship game at a truly neutral field. So we got that going for us.

MI Sooner
10/11/2011, 05:13 PM
I like Bama to handle LSU this year, and would favor Arkansas over LSU if it wasn't @LSU. I also like our chances against either LSU or Bama this year, but think we'd have zero success running the ball against either one, and hope we'd recognize it and not even bother, except as a change of pace. Maybe by that time (if we get there) Habern will be back and we'll be opening some holes more consistently.

If you were just going to put a bet on who would have more yards (OU or Bama/LSU) I'd be quite confident in betting on OU. But our lack of a running game and TE passing game kills us in the RZ, our special teams are average at best, and Landry has thrown too many picks even as an experienced starter ('10-'11). All of these factors would mean that the score would likely favor us less than (I think) the yards would, but I still think we'd beat LSU, and Bama would be a toss up.

I hope that Heupel/Norvell spend some time trying to develop a few plays or a package that can bail us out inside the 10, because unless we play a running QB in the NC game, I think that will likely be our last remaining weakness.

Soonermagik
10/11/2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah, and Bama doesn't have Kenny Stills or Ryan Broyles. OU is a pass first team and the pass sets up the run.

No offense, but this isn't the Bama team of the last few years. I think Bama would lose by double digits to OU in a title game. Bama has a great RB and that's really it on offense. If OU got a big jump on them I don't see them coming back.

Sooner5030
10/11/2011, 05:24 PM
balance....meh.......that means we can throw a bubble screen, HB screen, TE over the LBs, WR on an out. Making the defense defend the entire field (run or pass) is more important than the method used.

No one wants to watch a freaking Lloyd Carr type MNC. Throw the f'g ball downfield.

Mark_in_Tulsa
10/11/2011, 05:43 PM
Hmmm. LSU and Bama balanced....... or not able to excel at something?

Iam4OUru
10/11/2011, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Bourbon St Sooner;3369172]sec folks are starting to sound a lot like whorns.

No! No! We have to be the best because we're sec!sec!sec!.

Seriously, STFU [QUOTE]

They aren't just starting.....LSU has been doing it since they won their first national title in almost half a century. They are, without a doubt, the Rodney Dangerfield of college football. They want national recognition but that involves more than just playing in a BCS game every four years. They are the most spoiled, obnoxious and unforgiving fan base I've ever seen.

PDXsooner
10/11/2011, 06:40 PM
I'll give the SEC credit, they've been the strongest conference for the last 5 or 6 years. But let's not pretend it's always been that way or always will be that way. I think it ends this year with OU bitchsmacking somebody.

Iam4OUru
10/11/2011, 07:40 PM
Just because a team from a particular conference wins the national title...it doesn't necessarily mean that conference is the best. The SEC has been an elite group the past few years, but, times are a'changin'. You'll never convince their fans of that, tho.

AzianSooner
10/11/2011, 08:26 PM
I think some of us need to calm down the newly developed big ego after beating the overrated Texass.

booomer
10/11/2011, 08:28 PM
I'm shocked that a passing team has more yards passing than running. Shocked!

I'm not sure and I'm checking into it, but I think we pass more because we have two of the best receivers in college football. ;)

SoonerofAlabama
10/11/2011, 08:28 PM
I think some of us need to calm down the newly developed big ego after beating the overrated Texass.

THIS.

Iam4OUru
10/11/2011, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure and I'm checking into it, but I think we pass more because we have two of the best receivers in college football. ;)

And one of the best quarterbacks. Why not use 'em?

soonerboomer93
10/11/2011, 09:23 PM

What's the number of plays though, not just the number of yards.

The Ghost of Mex
10/11/2011, 10:06 PM

gosh...I hope were as balanced as Babar was in the 09' MNC game.

Passing: 58
Rushing: 205

mdklatt
10/11/2011, 11:29 PM

How very...arbitrary. It amuses me how many people, including the talking head "experts", take the concept of offensive balance so literally. Doesn't balance mean being able to run the ball when you need to and throw the ball when you need to? We didn't run the ball a lot against Texas. We didn't need to. Now I do think our power run game needs some improvement, but not because of some arbitrary run/pass split.

Saban: "Call a run play."

OC: "But it's third and 25!"

Saban: "I don't care. Our balance is getting all out of whack."

Iam4OUru
10/11/2011, 11:42 PM
How very...arbitrary. It amuses me how many people, including the talking head "experts", take the concept of offensive balance so literally. Doesn't balance mean being able to run the ball when you need to and throw the ball when you need to? We didn't run the ball a lot against Texas. We didn't need to. Now I do think our power run game needs some improvement, but not because of some arbitrary run/pass split.

That made me chuckle.

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2011, 11:52 PM
So their defense has more first round draft picks on it than most NFL teams do?

Yeah Okay.

Bama is the better of the two on defense. But honestly...FLorida is their marquee win up til now and that is not really saying a whole heck of a lot.

You've said this twice.

I personally think OU is better than Alabama, but I think you'd have to consider their win over current #10 Arkansas as their marquee win.

Iam4OUru
10/11/2011, 11:55 PM
You've said this twice.

I personally think OU is better than Alabama, but I think you'd have to consider their win over current #10 Arkansas as their marquee win.

^ This! I think Ar-Kansas could run the table and really be an asset for Bammer. The hogs will not be the same team that got whalloped by the Tide.

Sooner_Tuf
10/12/2011, 03:09 AM

I'm pretty sure Bama has a message board. I could google it for you if you need me to.

SoonerBread
10/12/2011, 04:05 AM
We have yet to play a BCS championship game at a truly neutral field. So we got that going for us.

TGOWWDNS was a Cali team in Fla.
Just sayin.

OUTrumpet
10/12/2011, 05:34 AM

Actually it'd be more like 'I don't want to risk forcing something. Run the ball up the middle so we can punt on 4th down and play field position.'

owenfieldreams
10/12/2011, 05:49 AM
The myth of a balanced attack is just that, a myth. Name one NFL team that has a "balanced" attack. OU is a pro style O scheme utilizing just enough run game to set up play action. Our swing passes to the RB out of the backfield are simply an extended run game. The only weakness in our run game is in certain down and distance situations in the RZ but NFL teams have the same problem........when the field is shrunk, it's very difficult to put the ball in the EZ.

The "balance" I think that is pertinent is that between offense and defense and OU has a clear advantage here. Our O makes Alabama's and LSU's O's look pedestrian and our D, while maybe not quite as good, is certainly good enough. In our 2 BCS championship game losses to SEC teams, our D played well enough to win. It was our O that faltered and credit the opposing D's in both instances. Of course, it would have helped to have had a healthy DeMarco Murray vs Florida and a healthy Jason White vs LSU.

I fear neither SEC opponent although I'd rather play Alabama simply from the point of the spectacle of it. The two programs are mirror images of each other as are the fan bases. LSU?.....not so much.

btb916
10/12/2011, 01:09 PM
I think that, to win against Bama or LSU, the D will have to play lights out. When either of those teams has had a MONTH to prepare for our offense, I have very little confidence that we will be very effective. We saw it in 2008.

But there are some important differences between our offense in 2011 and in 2008. First and foremost, we are battle tested. OSU and NU last year. FSU this year. Those were tough games in tough environments. Against NU and FSU it was VERY difficult for us to score/move the ball. Yet we won, and that confidence is incredibly important. So while I have no doubt our O would struggle, I think that Landry and Co. will not be concerned by those struggles, or frustrated by it. They will bide their time, play carefully and strike when they can.

Because I think our O would struggle, the D would have to play lights out and make it a very low scoring game. We could not give up 21 or more points and reasonably expect to win. Fortunately I think that our D, when emotionally fired up, could suffocate either Bama or LSU's offense. But it would all depend on the D, IMO.

Sabanball, I have a great deal of respect for 'Bama's tradition. I would LOVE to see that match-up in the National Title game. But I will be rooting against you when you play LSU: I want OU to knock off LSU in New Orleans. The "SEC! SEC!" love fest would promptly end if we could do that. Plus I love a good challenge, and playing LSU at home again would definitely be a challenge (not that OU v. Bammer wouldn't be).

mdklatt
10/12/2011, 06:15 PM
Actually it'd be more like 'I don't want to risk forcing something. Run the ball up the middle so we can punt on 4th down and play field position.'

Touche, but you know what I meant.

Okie35
10/15/2011, 05:22 PM

You were saying? The strengths of the defenses are their defensive lines. Ole Miss and Tennessee were both able to throw BOMBS when either line didn't get pressure.

soonercoop1
10/15/2011, 06:20 PM
Lets see if OU can actually score some points in a MNC before all the smack talk....

delhalew
10/15/2011, 07:02 PM

Thank you. I've tried to tell people our officials train our receivers and secondary that physical play will get you a yellow napkin.

Soonerwake
10/15/2011, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure Bama has a message board. I could google it for you if you need me to.
Excellent!!!