PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops to coach OUr special teams?

CBUS_SOONER
10/11/2011, 08:55 AM
That would make since... And be awesome... Hire him NOW

kevpks
10/11/2011, 08:57 AM
My prediction is Mike to Nebraska to coach defense. The black skirts have returned for the first time since Callahan.

rekamrettuB
10/11/2011, 09:00 AM
My prediction is Mike to Nebraska to coach defense. The black skirts have returned for the first time since Callahan.

Bo going to fire his brother?

I think Mike takes some time off and gets picked up by a mid-major (is that PC to say these days) and has some decent seasons.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 09:04 AM
We cannot hire another coach..

Landthief 1972
10/11/2011, 09:05 AM
NCAA regulations only allow for a certain number of coaches. OU is already at their limit. In fact, very few teams have a dedicated special teams coach.

kevpks
10/11/2011, 09:05 AM
Bo going to fire his brother?

I think Mike takes some time off and gets picked up by a mid-major (is that PC to say these days) and has some decent seasons.

No, I wasn't thinking he'd be a coordinator. I was thinking he'd be a position coach for a year before jumping to some other HC job. That is what the original poster had in mind with the special teams thing I imagine.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 09:13 AM

CBUS_SOONER
10/11/2011, 09:13 AM
NCAA regulations only allow for a certain number of coaches. OU is already at their limit. In fact, very few teams have a dedicated special teams coach.

Maybe he will volunteer his time;)

CBUS_SOONER
10/11/2011, 09:16 AM
maybe we should FIRE VENEBLES and hire him;)

Midtowner
10/11/2011, 09:45 AM
Mike will be able to pay his bills for awhile as a consultant. Eventually, someone in the current staff will be hired else and if Mike hasn't found a HC job, I'm sure there's a place for him at OU or FSU.

JLEW1818
10/11/2011, 09:52 AM
FIRE VENABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 09:57 AM
I can't shake my head enough at the thought that someone would think Mike Stoops would take a lesser gig back here than what he started off with..

cleller
10/11/2011, 09:58 AM
Well, at least now that he has time on his hands he might visit, and hang out during some practices. Trade ideas.

olevetonahill
10/11/2011, 09:58 AM
F-ing Tards

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 10:01 AM
Well, at least now that he has time on his hands he might visit, and hang out during some practices. Trade ideas.

This will happen some..Probably more him hanging out than trading ideas, but yeah

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 10:23 AM
That would make since... And be awesome... Hire him NOW

Who do we fire to open a spot for Mike?

StoopTroup
10/11/2011, 10:26 AM

Nobody. Someone is sniffing glue. Nothing to see here.

badger
10/11/2011, 10:41 AM

This is how Scott Sutton got brother Sean on his coaching staff last season when he didn't have a coaching position available for him at ORU (I think Sean is an official coach now).

If I remember correctly, you can advise coaches, watch game film, watch the game with the other coaches on the sideline/bench, but you cannot give instruction to players.

I think Mike needs family help. I really do. He went through a divorce recently and now this. I hope one of his brothers does reach out to him so he doesn't get into trouble.

Lott's Bandana
10/11/2011, 11:02 AM
Bob's presser today will be interesting.

He is an emotional guy when it comes to his family. I'm guessing he isn't happy about this turn of events.

Bob has considerable influence and could help find a landing spot, if that is something he would even do...it's a proud family.

I think we just lost one of our #1 votes in the Coaches' Poll.

EDIT: Nope, he wasn't a voter.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 11:05 AM
I think he could be a candidate for open HC jobs after this season. Ron Zook did a horrible job at Florida and he landed on his feet at Illinois, I think Mike could do the same as he did a much better job at Zona than Zook did at Florida.

Here are some BCS jobs that will probably open up after this season:
Purdue
Ohio State
Ole Miss
Kansas
UCLA
Wazzu
UNC

Mike will be a candidate for one of those jobs if he wants it. However, he may have a clause like Chuck Long that prevents him from taking a HC job for a period of time if he wants to collect the buyout.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 11:10 AM
I don't think another BCS school would want him..

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 11:15 AM
I don't think another BCS school would want him..

I disagree. He's proven he can coach with what he did at Arizona. They were 0-11 when he took over and now they have been to 3 or 4 (or more) straight bowl games. They haven't won the conference but the Pac 10 has had some stout USC teams and now Oregon that have won the conference.

ashley
10/11/2011, 11:18 AM
He will be a dc next year somewhere. Not a head coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 11:27 AM
I disagree. He's proven he can coach with what he did at Arizona. They were 0-11 when he took over and now they have been to 3 or 4 (or more) straight bowl games. They haven't won the conference but the Pac 10 has had some stout USC teams and now Oregon that have won the conference.

He's also proven he can lose his team and they are back to square 1 where they started..yeah they were 0-11 the year before he started and the only game he's one out of the last 11 was a lower division school..really hard to declare that better..They just lost to the worst, ahem was the worst, FBS school in oregon state.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 11:39 AM
And believe it or not, if I can add, most schools don't want a head coach blowing up every game on everyone..Probably why he lost this team..coordinators, have at it..But head coaches have to be level headed enough to right the ship if things go wrong..He isn't that guy.

Sooner in Tampa
10/11/2011, 12:10 PM
But head coaches have to be level headed enough to right the ship if things go wrong..He isn't that guy.
^^^^THIS

swardboy
10/11/2011, 12:18 PM
Wonder if he has a clause that keeps him from staying in the PAC12. I would think UCLA has more upside than 'Zona did.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 12:19 PM
I guarantee you those panty waists wouldn't want him

Sabanball
10/11/2011, 12:20 PM

He'd probably fit in there. As I recall he had the same outgoing personality as Bo Pellini. Think he was and may still be a head case though.

SoonerMom2
10/11/2011, 12:26 PM
Don't want Mike Stoops near our program -- he is way too emotional and has gotten a lot worse. No way would Boren hire him back. Bob Stoops has been saying for sometime he should have brought his little brother Mark to OU. His demeanor is much more like Bob Stoops. Mike Stoops has gone over the edge and turned his whole team off and yet some of you want to bring him into a team that is clicking on all cylanders. No way!

PrideMom
10/11/2011, 12:29 PM
Being passionate on the side lines is one thing, but going ballistic only creates a negative response from everyone around him. No one wants to interact with that. I would have suggested anger management.....

But it is always "what have you done for me lately" and have short memory on the past successes.....

soonerboomer93
10/11/2011, 12:29 PM

Can't even do that. As I recall Uwe von Schamann want to volunteer coach to help the kickers last year and had to be denied due to the regulations.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 12:33 PM
Don't want Mike Stoops near our program -- he is way too emotional and has gotten a lot worse. No way would Boren hire him back. Bob Stoops has been saying for sometime he should have brought his little brother Mark to OU. His demeanor is much more like Bob Stoops. Mike Stoops has gone over the edge and turned his whole team off and yet some of you want to bring him into a team that is clicking on all cylanders. No way!

Are you the same soonermom who pimped Jeff Capel last year on the 247 board?

OU_Sooners75
10/11/2011, 12:41 PM

Well....that is the only reason Boren has told Bob that he is free to hire Mike back anytime he wants too. And this was before he got fired at Arizona.

Oops.

MikeInNorman
10/11/2011, 12:52 PM
The former coach you want back to coach special teams is Jonathan Hayes. He was the ST coach when the OU ST were dominant.

If Marvin Lewis gets fired this year at Cincy, Jon will be looking for a job.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/11/2011, 01:09 PM
from someone named oufisherman(and, that's not me)-

"You don't think Smack Brown is huddled up in a dark corner of his office trying to get up the nerve to give Mike a call do ya?"

oumartin
10/11/2011, 01:16 PM
Gee, according to Bob he would love to have him back.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 01:16 PM
He's also proven he can lose his team and they are back to square 1 where they started..yeah they were 0-11 the year before he started and the only game he's one out of the last 11 was a lower division school..really hard to declare that better..They just lost to the worst, ahem was the worst, FBS school in oregon state.

Oregon State is far from the worst FBS school. They were winless this year, but they have been to quite a few bowls in the past 10 years and have historically been slow starters every season. I will say they aren't as good this year as they have been, but they will beat Wazzu and UCLA.

He may have lost his team this year, but to do some of the things he has done at Zona is a testament to the level of coach he is.

If Ron Zook can land a job at a BCS level institution after what he did at Florida, Mike Stoops can too.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:29 PM
The only thing those 2 guys have in common is they are both football coaches..Ron Zook is and was a lot easier hire than Stoops..AD's and school presidents don't like the sight of their HC flipping out and losing his mind every time something doesn't go his way..Nobody is going to watch an Illinois game and see Zook spitting and cussing out any player that walks past him...

Ron Zook isn't a great coach, but he isn't a liability either..He isn't embarassing to the fanbase and he has control over himself..Mike Stoops the assistant is very doable...Mike Stoops the HC is not.

picasso
10/11/2011, 01:30 PM
What? Please.

unbiasedtruth
10/11/2011, 01:31 PM
Mike had a good run here, I am thankful and aprreciative of him and his time here and how along with Bob and the other assistants were able to right the Schooner, grease the wheels and get this wagon rolling again. I dont blame him for taking the Az coaching job and I was hopeful he would be successful there as his brother is in Norman. I dont like hearing he was fired in mid-season.... sorta a cheap dirty move like Colorado did to Dan Howkins last year..... I just hope he learned and grew from his time in Tuscon....

Saying all that, OU all parties involved does not need to bring him back in any capacity. I still feel he was a big distraction to the Sooners in their BCS game after he was hired @ Arizona but stuck around for the BCS game. And that is what he would be if he came back to the Sooners any time soon....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:48 PM
This post sums up my reasons

Uh, no... you are incorrect. Some people only seem to remember the good ol days as only that.

He had some horrific ideas/recruits for dbs. The Eric Bassey experiment ...
He lucked into Woolfolk (as he was a wr).
Aaron Miller? Bobby Klinck? Justin Williams? Brandon Shelby was brought in for a RB before considered for a DB(which he did play in HS, I believe).
Darren Stephens...
We were lucky to get Chijoke O after Mike left for AZ, due to his forgetting to call prospects before he was officially out the door.

cherokeebrewer
10/11/2011, 01:54 PM
I watched a couple of AZ games this year and frankly Mike seemed a little disinterested...not the same fire/heat/hothead or what ever you call it. I think Mike has a few personal problems.

oumartin
10/11/2011, 01:57 PM
Yep, Mike is right.. Jonathan Hayes was the guy coaching special teams.

I think Mike Stoops stole STEPS lunch money! ;)

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 02:04 PM
This post sums up my reasons

That explains a lot because that post you reference is filled with inaccuracies.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 02:06 PM
Yep, Mike is right.. Jonathan Hayes was the guy coaching special teams.

I think Mike Stoops stole STEPS lunch money! ;)

It's the same ol thing.. the longer a guy is gone from here the better he was..

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 02:07 PM
That explains a lot because that post you reference is filled with inaccuracies.

Well then tell us what you know that shows he wasn't responsible for anything

Breadburner
10/11/2011, 02:07 PM
He's a potential distraction we don't need......

TMcGee86
10/11/2011, 02:21 PM

Brian Britt.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 02:22 PM
You can watch Wildcat film and see his shortcomings as a head coach..I can carry on about the guy being a solid coordinator, but the argument is that he'll be a BCS head coach soon because Ron Zook is..

JD says he had Arizona going in the right direction, The Arizona AD disagreed..The fan base, boosters, and fans were tired of the undisciplined sideline antics that trickled down to the players..stupid penalties, etc...And you what happens when a HC consistently is the guy losing it on the sidelines, the players tune him out..You could see this team shut him out..

Like i posted earlier, the head coach has to be able to calm the crew when things get bumpy..He is not that guy

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 02:32 PM
I'll say this for Mike Stoops:

He cared about his players over there..Everybody I know attached to that program said he had a genuine interest in his players off the field and cared about them as individuals..

SouthFortySooner
10/11/2011, 02:56 PM
Doesn't make since. Sense it was brought up.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/11/2011, 03:45 PM
Doesn't make since. Sense it was brought up.I'm sensing it ain't worth 2 cents, at least since it's not sensible.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 03:56 PM
Well then tell us what you know that shows he wasn't responsible for anything

Like I said in that thread...he didn't recruit a bunch of those guys.

Jonathan Hayes recruited Shelby.
BJW recruited Stephens and Bassey.
Klinck was a Jenks kid so I doubt Stoops recruited him and if I remember correctly he wasn't really given a scholarship but was more of a recruited walk-on.
Chijoke signed with OU after the 2001 or 2002 season, so Mike was here when he was recruited and signed. He sat out a season in 2002 or 2003 due to academics but either way he was recruited and signed when Mike was in Norman because Mikes first season in Tucson was 2004 (last season at OU was 2003).

Do I need to go on?

SouthTxSooner
10/11/2011, 03:58 PM
I'd like to see him on one of the networks, at least until he finds another HC gig. It would be awesome to see someone with integrity and a good reputation giving some honest/fair analysis.

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 03:59 PM
What? That's silly. He didn't land them, but he was the one that said to go after them. That's the whole point, right?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 04:03 PM
Like I said in that thread...he didn't recruit a bunch of those guys.

Jonathan Hayes recruited Shelby.
BJW recruited Stephens and Bassey.
Klinck was a Jenks kid so I doubt Stoops recruited him and if I remember correctly he wasn't really given a scholarship but was more of a recruited walk-on.
Chijoke signed with OU after the 2001 or 2002 season, so Mike was here when he was recruited and signed. He sat out a season in 2002 or 2003 due to academics but either way he was recruited and signed when Mike was in Norman because Mikes first season in Tucson was 2004 (last season at OU was 2003).

Do I need to go on?

Do you think Mike Stoops had no part in evaluating or recruiting outside of oklahoma?

I understand the regional recruiting..but not regional evaluating

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 04:05 PM
If our ST coach was evaluating and recruiting his own db's, good lord....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 04:13 PM
What? That's silly. He didn't land them, but he was the one that said to go after them. That's the whole point, right?

Yes

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 04:16 PM
Yes

God, you're sexy when you say I'm right.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 04:26 PM
TERRANCE SIMMS!

As I've stated in both threads going, Mike has got to learn how to handle himself as a head coach...That's why the Ron Zooks of the world can quickly land a HC job and Stoops cant..Just watching the undisciplined play of the Wildcats..and the big thing is, it's juniors and seniors playing out of control, penalties, etc....If it was freshman, it would be different..

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 04:39 PM
TERRANCE SIMMS!

As I've stated in both threads going, Mike has got to learn how to handle himself as a head coach...That's why the Ron Zooks of the world can quickly land a HC job and Stoops cant..Just watching the undisciplined play of the Wildcats..and the big thing is, it's juniors and seniors playing out of control, penalties, etc....If it was freshman, it would be different..

Terrance Simms completed his eligibility and played fine when called upon. Had it not been for a knee injury he probably would have contributed more.

In your opinion, he can't handle himself. You are probably a John Blake fan because he "love dem kids".

Mike Stoops is a good coach and will be a head coach again.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 05:55 PM
Terrance Simms completed his eligibility and played fine when called upon. Had it not been for a knee injury he probably would have contributed more.

In your opinion, he can't handle himself. You are probably a John Blake fan because he "love dem kids".

Mike Stoops is a good coach and will be a head coach again.

It's not just my opinion...It's everyone associated with the Wildcat program. its proven in the w-l column..its proven every time a camera shows another tirade..it was proven in their play...As for the john blake comment, it fits right along with the rest of your argument about the recruiting and evaluating..you don't know what you are talking about.

Salt City Sooner
10/11/2011, 06:19 PM
Oregon State is far from the worst FBS school. They were winless this year, but they have been to quite a few bowls in the past 10 years and have historically been slow starters every season. I will say they aren't as good this year as they have been, but they will beat Wazzu and UCLA.

He may have lost his team this year, but to do some of the things he has done at Zona is a testament to the level of coach he is.

If Ron Zook can land a job at a BCS level institution after what he did at Florida, Mike Stoops can too.
UCLA already beat Oregon State in Corvallis.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 06:30 PM
That goes along with all the other facts he seems to have a firm grip on

Breadburner
10/11/2011, 06:36 PM
Some folks just dont know what the **** they are talking about....

StoopTroup
10/11/2011, 11:45 PM
Fexaz would be crazy not to hire hire. :D

StoopTroup
10/11/2011, 11:55 PM
I'll say this for Mike Stoops:

He cared about his players over there..Everybody I know attached to that program said he had a genuine interest in his players off the field and cared about them as individuals..

You are absolutely right about that. He's always been that type of guy. It's one of the reasons I think any Div. IA School would be crazy to not hire him. Sometimes things just don't workout. It's the same thing with Jeff Capel IMO. I think OU just wasn't a good fit for him as a Coach. I think Capel will work things out and eventually he'll be one of those 64 Coaches that reach March Madness that drives NCAA Basketball Fans to use their Bosses Copier Machine for Evil Gambling. :D

Mike will be back at the helm of some other School someday and I'd dare say....he'll take a group of kids to a few Bowl Games.