PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Fired!

Whet
10/10/2011, 07:55 PM
Mike Stoops

Arizona cans Mike Stoops (http://brucefeldman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/31626208/32649817)Arizona fired head coach Mike Stoops after seven plus seasons with the Wildcats, a source told CBS Monday night. The 49-year-old Stoops had led Arizona to bowl games in the previous three seasons, equaling the school's previous best stretch, but this season has gotten off to a horrible start for U of A with the team at 1-5 and in the midst of a five-game losing streak.

Arizona's lone win came over FCS Northern Arizona. Since then the Wildcats went on a brutal stretch where they lost to No. 9 Oklahoma State, No. 6 Stanford and No. 10 Oregon, then dropped games at USC and at previously winless Oregon State last weekend. In those five, the Wildcats have surrendered 37 points or more in each of those five losses.

The fiery Stoops did lead Arizona to its highest regular-season ranking in 12 years, going up to No. 9, in 2010 but this squad returned only 10 starters and haven't been able to overcome tons of inexperience on both lines and injuries to some key players including star wideout Juron Criner. Despite the presence of standout quarterback Nick Foles, Arizona ranks just 68th in scoring. On defense, the Wildcats rank 117th in scoring defense.

The Wildcats return to action on Thursday, Oct. 20 when UCLA visits Arizona.

picasso
10/10/2011, 07:57 PM
I really thought he would do well but perhaps he could have chosen a better job.

AlboSooner
10/10/2011, 08:00 PM
I hope he doesn't come here. We have a good things going. No need to have a lot of bosses on D

OUHOMER
10/10/2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?160877-Looks-Like-Mike-Stoops-may-be-fired-tonight
I guess we can merge them

SoonerTerry
10/10/2011, 08:01 PM
He will have a job just as soon as he wants one.

EatLeadCommie
10/10/2011, 08:04 PM
No surprise, really, but wasn't he handicapped in the offseason by a ton of injuries? Or was that last year? Regardless, he never really got it done at Arizona, and it appears that he has lost the team a lot like Mackovic did before him.

cccasooner2
10/10/2011, 08:05 PM
A blessing in disguise IMHO, now he can go back to what he does best, coaching D. I hated it when he left OU and still blame him for key losses in the days when he would disappear for interviews (although that's just the paranoid part of me doing the talking). At least he will not have any regrets about not trying as a HC.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/10/2011, 08:06 PM
they are god awful

Iam4OUru
10/10/2011, 08:09 PM
Best wishes to Mike.

Flagstaffsooner
10/10/2011, 08:10 PM
But he beat NAU.:smile:

cvsooner
10/10/2011, 08:11 PM
Arizona is a basketball school and has never really had a decent football program.

oumartin
10/10/2011, 08:12 PM
I hope things work out for Mike.
As far as I'm concerned he and Mark can both come live with Bob and give their input..

Sabanball
10/10/2011, 08:29 PM
How long before Bob makes a spot for him?

silverwheels
10/10/2011, 08:35 PM
As a free consultant? Probably pretty soon. As an actual member of the staff? Maybe never.

BigTip
10/10/2011, 08:37 PM
How long before Bob makes a spot for him?

Volunteer Special Teams coach.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/10/2011, 08:45 PM
A blessing in disguise IMHO, now he can go back to what he does best, coaching D. I hated it when he left OU and still blame him for key losses in the days when he would disappear for interviews (although that's just the paranoid part of me doing the talking). At least he will not have any regrets about not trying as a HC.

As long as you don't have him recruit defensive backs, you are okay. It was his Achilles Heel here and it ended up being the same at Arizona. The guy had 1 good DB class at OU and it last him 5 years.

Jdog
10/10/2011, 10:30 PM
He's getting a 1.2 million buy out.

Neath a Western Sky
10/10/2011, 10:40 PM
As long as you don't have him recruit defensive backs, you are okay. It was his Achilles Heel here and it ended up being the same at Arizona. The guy had 1 good DB class at OU and it last him 5 years.

Interesting, I didn't realize that. Was the good class Everage, Strait, and Perkins?

Sooner Cal
10/10/2011, 10:41 PM
No one can win at Arizona. I said it was the wrong job when he was offered it. He made good money, got to play golf and had a few good games, but no way was he ever going to win a championship there. Whoever they hire next will be making the same mistake.

MO_Sooner
10/10/2011, 10:44 PM
Just throwing this out there. Would this be possible? Urban Meyer being hired
at Ohio St. as head coach and Mike being the D-Coord.

cvsooner
10/10/2011, 10:46 PM
Well, after this season when Venables gets offered a head coaching shot someplace, we now who his replacement will be.

OU86
10/10/2011, 10:52 PM
I figured when they lost to Oregon State last week he was gone, but it was a punk *** move to fire him mid-season. UA is a suck *** fb program, much worse than you probably think. Their best coach ever was Dick Tomey - who was a good coach - but except for 2 really good seasons, one 10-2 and one 12-1, he averaged about 6-5 for 12 years (out of a total of 14). He walked away after a 5-6 season in 2001 (that started 5-0) because the expectations were unrealistic given the resources available. When Mike took over they were truly a bottom 10 team and he improved them a lot. The last 3 years they were 8-5, 8-5, and 7-6 and could have been so much better. Mike just caught very few breaks. A few, but way more bad breaks than good, and a lot of close losses. People talk about the losing streak they are on, but a lot of those teams are really really good - after N. Ariz. this year they played Okla. State, Oregon, and Stanford - and none were bad until Oregon St. last week. It's unfortunate b/c there are a lot of winnable games on the second half of their schedule. Mike was a lot closer to Tomey than anybody else they have had or are likely to get unless they change things substantially. Look for Arizona to be very bad indeed (like Baylor before Art Briles) within 2-3 years. :upset:

soonergirlNeugene
10/10/2011, 10:57 PM
When I heard about this, I had a moment when I thought wouldn't it be crazy if he wound up at Kansas in a year or so? But then I remembered how much the Stoops brothers hate to play against each other. Doubt that will happen. Maybe we'll see him around campus until he finds something permanent?

Sooner_Tuf
10/10/2011, 11:37 PM
Come home to Oklahoma Mike. Beers on me.

batonrougesooner
10/10/2011, 11:43 PM
He should go coach defense for Kevin Wilson.

Seriously.

Whet
10/10/2011, 11:44 PM
He could join Mike Leach at UCLA next year!

batonrougesooner
10/10/2011, 11:48 PM
He could join Mike Leach at UCLA next year!

Actually my first thought was that it would be ironic Arizona went after Leach.

StoopTroup
10/10/2011, 11:53 PM
He will have a job just as soon as he wants one.

Just not at Oklahoma. Those days are over. I'd say he'll become a head Coach somewhere else is all. Arizona seems to put more into their Basketball Team than their Football Team. I thought it was cool that he got a Head Coaching job but I was never thrilled he went to a Pac10 School. He's the kind of guy who can recruit in the Middle of the Country....not the West Coast. Maybe he has added that to his resume as he leaves but the entire time he was at AZ....I never saw any superstars on his teams. That really surprised me and i think it's more that folks who want to play Football at the highest level just don't think of AZ when they are looking for a Top Notch Program.

As bad as they are right now....It can always get worse. Good luck to whoever takes his place.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2011, 12:52 AM
Stoops should hire Mangino, Leach and Stoops to be coordinators.

Worked for us in the past. :pop:

hawaii 5-0
10/11/2011, 01:08 AM
Volunteer Special Teams coach.

Oh, how I wish !!!!

5-0

NYC Poke
10/11/2011, 01:10 AM

Worked for us in the past. :pop:

Who gets play-calling duties between Leach and Mangino?

Stoops had a brutal schedule to start the season. Bad timing for him , but the loss to Oregon State is pretty bad.

En_Fuego
10/11/2011, 01:23 AM
I think it would be a huge slap in Venables face if Mike were rehired. I think the Mike Stoops ship has long sailed. And I also think Venables will never leave under Bob. Being the Head Coach sometimes really sucks..........Ask Gibbs, Leach, Mangino, Mike Stoops.....and on and on

hawaii 5-0
10/11/2011, 01:53 AM
I guess it depends on Venables's aspirations. The pay is pretty good right where he's at and he's very successful at his present job.

5-0

NOVSooner
10/11/2011, 08:02 AM
bring him on as a consultant and make his only job to watch tape on lsu, bama and ok state.

oumartin
10/11/2011, 08:10 AM
Guys that have left Stoops to be head coaches.

Mangino-gone
Leach-gone
Long-gone
Wilson-only first year at Indiana
Kevin Sumlin-doing pretty good
Stoops-gone.

BillyBall
10/11/2011, 08:33 AM
Leach and Mangino weren't necessarily performance related though...

Tear Down This Wall
10/11/2011, 08:43 AM

Mangino-gone
Leach-gone
Long-gone
Stoops-gone.

There's Only One...Bob Stoops!

Tear Down This Wall
10/11/2011, 08:45 AM
I really thought he would do well but perhaps he could have chosen a better job.

Agree. It was a head scratcher at the time. Arizona = Kansas - a basketball school. And, the Pac-12 is a basketball conference.

I always thought Mike would wait for a Big Ten job to open. Seemed more his style. Perhaps he hates cold weather despite growing up in Ohio.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2011, 10:17 AM
Interesting, I didn't realize that. Was the good class Everage, Strait, and Perkins? Technically Perkins was brought in as a receiver but the 1999 class is it. He had what 2 months to cobble that class together and ended up with some seriously good players. After that, his attrition rate was 80% with only 1 player really making an impact (brodney poole). 2005-2008 (although it started at safety in 2004) we were so patchwork back there it wasn't even funny (dj wolfe, etc).

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 10:22 AM
:neg: for mentioning dj wolfe

sooneron
10/11/2011, 10:33 AM
heh!

sooneron
I'm willing to bet that he's a DC at a major program next year.

Mike Stoops, that is, not DJW.

JudInKC

I disagree. The athletes they were able to recruit back then weren't as highly regarded as they are getting now with 12 years of excellence.

And, the OU coaching staff doesn't just recruit their position, they recruit a geographic area. So, he didn't recruit all of the DB misses even though I don't think we had as many as you think. Our DB's have always been pretty good and most have played in the NFL for at least a year or 2.

sooneron
10/11/2011, 10:35 AM
I disagree. The athletes they were able to recruit back then weren't as highly regarded as they are getting now with 12 years of excellence.

And, the OU coaching staff doesn't just recruit their position, they recruit a geographic area. So, he didn't recruit all of the DB misses even though I don't think we had as many as you think. Our DB's have always been pretty good and most have played in the NFL for at least a year or 2.

Uh... no.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 10:53 AM
Uh... no.

Uh...no, what?

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 10:58 AM
Agree. It was a head scratcher at the time. Arizona = Kansas - a basketball school. And, the Pac-12 is a basketball conference.

I always thought Mike would wait for a Big Ten job to open. Seemed more his style. Perhaps he hates cold weather despite growing up in Ohio.

If any coach has a chance at a BCS level job, especially when they have never been a head coach previously, they take that job every time. Too much money involved not to do it.

Mike is a perfect example...he's made millions as the HC at Arizona and is now being paid millions to leave. Had he stayed at OU, his salary would be as high or a little higher than Venables, which is nowhere near what he was making at Zona not to mention he wouldn't get the big buyout. He and his family are set for life if he doesn't want to work again.

Personally, I think the BIG conference will have at least an opening at Purdue next year. He could be a candidate there, or maybe he goes back to Iowa to work with Ferentz who is a close friend. Or, maybe he goes into the NFL to coach defense with Jonathan Hayes or on another team.

I think he did a pretty good job at Arizona considering what he took over. At least he had them in bowl games every year and if he had a few breaks either direction maybe he's still the HC at Zona. The loss to ASU last year is one bad break...talk about bad luck to lose that game. If he wins that game, he probably plays in a different bowl game than vs OSU last year which was a tough assignment.

sooneron
10/11/2011, 11:52 AM
Uh...no, what?

Uh, no... you are incorrect. Some people only seem to remember the good ol days as only that.

He had some horrific ideas/recruits for dbs. The Eric Bassey experiment ...
He lucked into Woolfolk (as he was a wr).
Aaron Miller? Bobby Klinck? Justin Williams? Brandon Shelby was brought in for a RB before considered for a DB(which he did play in HS, I believe).
Darren Stephens...
We were lucky to get Chijoke O after Mike left for AZ, due to his forgetting to call prospects before he was officially out the door.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 01:25 PM
Uh, no... you are incorrect. Some people only seem to remember the good ol days as only that.

He had some horrific ideas/recruits for dbs. The Eric Bassey experiment ...
He lucked into Woolfolk (as he was a wr).
Aaron Miller? Bobby Klinck? Justin Williams? Brandon Shelby was brought in for a RB before considered for a DB(which he did play in HS, I believe).
Darren Stephens...
We were lucky to get Chijoke O after Mike left for AZ, due to his forgetting to call prospects before he was officially out the door.

Stoops didn't recruit all of those guys.

Reading comprehension would do you some good. As I said in my previous post, OU's coaches recruit geographic areas, not positions. He didn't recruit all of the DB's. He may have seen film of them and said "yes, let's try to pursue this kid", but the OU coaches recruit all positions.

Case in point, Bobby Jack who has never coached a lick of offense recruited both Quentin Griffin and Jauquin Iglesias. BJW recruits Texas as his main focus.

Jonathan Hayes, who recruited the KC area, recruited Brandon Shelby, who was always a DB from day one. That's what he played at Rockhurst.
Eric Bassey was a BJW recruit and he at least contributed. The bad experiment was trying to play him in Roy's position. Everybody wanted Bassey anyway.

Aaron Miller was a recruit everybody wanted, but he didn't make it here and transferred.

Darren Stephens was a Parade AA at Lewisville but he never panned out. We've had quite a few of those over the years even after Mike left. Stephens chose OU after switching his commit from Ohio State. He was wanted by everybody, too.

Klinck and Williams I don't really remember, but I know Klinck was from Jenks and Mike didn't recruit the Oklahoma area. Seems like he had the SE part of the US.

Jacie
10/11/2011, 01:37 PM
The Wildcats return to action on Thursday, Oct. 20 when UCLA visits Arizona.

Now that they are through the brutal part of the schedule, they fire him. The interim coach will pile up a handful of wins starting with this one and look like some kind of coaching genius . . .

King Barry's Back
10/11/2011, 02:03 PM

This. And where we gonna put Chuck Long?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2011, 03:23 PM

Reading comprehension would do you some good. As I said in my previous post, OU's coaches recruit geographic areas, not positions. He didn't recruit all of the DB's. He may have seen film of them and said "yes, let's try to pursue this kid", but the OU coaches recruit all positions.

Case in point, Bobby Jack who has never coached a lick of offense recruited both Quentin Griffin and Jauquin Iglesias. BJW recruits Texas as his main focus.

Jonathan Hayes, who recruited the KC area, recruited Brandon Shelby, who was always a DB from day one. That's what he played at Rockhurst.
Eric Bassey was a BJW recruit and he at least contributed. The bad experiment was trying to play him in Roy's position. Everybody wanted Bassey anyway.

Aaron Miller was a recruit everybody wanted, but he didn't make it here and transferred.

Darren Stephens was a Parade AA at Lewisville but he never panned out. We've had quite a few of those over the years even after Mike left. Stephens chose OU after switching his commit from Ohio State. He was wanted by everybody, too.

Klinck and Williams I don't really remember, but I know Klinck was from Jenks and Mike didn't recruit the Oklahoma area. Seems like he had the SE part of the US.

I think you are mixing up recruiting and evaluation. Recruiting is the process by which the coaches land the recruit. Evaluation is the phase where they evaluate needs and stack rank the recruits at different positions. As guys fall off the board, they then do some jockeying if Player A at position X is better than Player B at position Y. When we talk about recruiting on this board, we RARELY talk about landing prospects. What we talk about is the quality of evaluation. This is because, unlike Texas, we don't care if you can reel in any 5 star prospect on the planet, we care about you reeling in guys who give us a chance to compete for a national title.

So to your points...

Yes, MS was only responsible for recruiting Oklahoma, but the idea that Mike Stoops had no say in whether we recruited these guys is silly. He evaluated AND approved all DB prospects to be recruited. To say that BJW or BV tossed a couple of guys at him that he'd never heard of and told him to make due isn't rational.

You keep talking about how highly recruited these guys were and then you follow it with "they didn't pan out". WTF? Because someone was highly recruited doesn't give a coach a pass when they don't pan out. When 80% of a coach's TOTAL recruits over 5 years "don't pan out" it qualifies as a unmitigated catastrophe. If it weren't for Chuck Long, Mike Stoops would have the worst record of guys that did pan out of all the coaches we've had on staff. What makes us even more suspicious is that most of his players that did pan out were in his first class. A class where all of the "highly recruited" guys had already committed elsewhere and all he had left were everyone else's leftovers. Those guys weren't the most gifted athletes, but man could they play the game of football.

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 03:43 PM
Maybe he should just start recruiting in January?

sooneron
10/11/2011, 04:04 PM

Reading comprehension would do you some good. \

Knowing something about how Mike had final say on WHO was recruited for his DBs would do you some good, it seems.

sooneron
10/11/2011, 04:09 PM

Mangino-gone
Leach-gone
Long-gone
Stoops-gone.

I can't find a new stat (other than from '09), but the average tenure for a College HC is 4.5 years. I would guess it may be even shorter... Most of the Stoops tree made it past that. I have a hard time counting Leach, even though he had the longest run, he was with Bob for a year.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 04:14 PM
I think you are mixing up recruiting and evaluation. Recruiting is the process by which the coaches land the recruit. Evaluation is the phase where they evaluate needs and stack rank the recruits at different positions. As guys fall off the board, they then do some jockeying if Player A at position X is better than Player B at position Y. When we talk about recruiting on this board, we RARELY talk about landing prospects. What we talk about is the quality of evaluation. This is because, unlike Texas, we don't care if you can reel in any 5 star prospect on the planet, we care about you reeling in guys who give us a chance to compete for a national title.

So to your points...

Yes, MS was only responsible for recruiting Oklahoma, but the idea that Mike Stoops had no say in whether we recruited these guys is silly. He evaluated AND approved all DB prospects to be recruited. To say that BJW or BV tossed a couple of guys at him that he'd never heard of and told him to make due isn't rational.

You keep talking about how highly recruited these guys were and then you follow it with "they didn't pan out". WTF? Because someone was highly recruited doesn't give a coach a pass when they don't pan out. When 80% of a coach's TOTAL recruits over 5 years "don't pan out" it qualifies as a unmitigated catastrophe. If it weren't for Chuck Long, Mike Stoops would have the worst record of guys that did pan out of all the coaches we've had on staff. What makes us even more suspicious is that most of his players that did pan out were in his first class. A class where all of the "highly recruited" guys had already committed elsewhere and all he had left were everyone else's leftovers. Those guys weren't the most gifted athletes, but man could they play the game of football.

I agree he evaluated film on the prospect and said to whoever was doing the recruiting "yes, go for this guy" or "no, don't go for that guy" but at the same time the coach doing the recruiting is telling Mike "this kid is rock solid, comes from a good family, good grades, fast, blah, blah, blah...". So, Mike, Brent, and teh rest of the defensive staff (probably Bob too) watch film and they all talk about each prospect and then slot them as you mentioned. In those meetings of watching film is when the coach doing the recruiting is asked about the kid (is he football smart, can he handle the mental aspect, etc.).

So, all the misses don't fall on Stoops shoulders just like Mangino or KW aren't responsible for all the OL turnover we had. Every coach is responsible because they all had a part in it, even Bob. To just say "Mike is the reason none of those players panned out" is an ignorant statement.

Besides, if he is responsible for the misses mentioned above as you and others seem to indicate then does he get the credit for the following who contributed and were good solid football players:

Dante Nicholson
Matt McCoy
Brodney Pool
Darien Williams
Jason Carter
Lendy Holmes
Marcus Walker
Terrance Simms

fadada1
10/11/2011, 04:15 PM
Always thought he'd be a great fit at Penn State. Too bad JoePa will still be coaching for 30 more years.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 04:17 PM
Knowing something about how Mike had final say on WHO was recruited for his DBs would do you some good, it seems.

So, he had final say, or does Bob have the final say? Seems to me it would be Bob.

How did Venables fit into that? Do you think Mike twisted Bob's arm to recruit Eric Bassey instead of Nathan Vasher (or whoever went elsewhere and was successful)?

You don't know and neither do I. I'm saying all the coaches had a part in it.

If he does get the credit for all the misses, then who get's the credit for the ones who did pan out? I'm sure in your opinion, anybody but Mike.

sooneron
10/11/2011, 04:20 PM
So, he had final say, or does Bob have the final say? Seems to me it would be Bob.

How did Venables fit into that? Do you think Mike twisted Bob's arm to recruit Eric Bassey instead of Nathan Vasher (or whoever went elsewhere and was successful)?

You don't know and neither do I. I'm saying all the coaches had a part in it.

If he does get the credit for all the misses, then who get's the credit for the ones who did pan out? I'm sure in your opinion, anybody but Mike.

WRONG. He a had a few that did pan and I would give him that, but he had some major issues getting personnel to fit the scheme.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 04:21 PM
TERRANCE SIMMS!

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 04:21 PM
How do you explain the drastic changes in recruiting philosophies when the position coaches change?

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 04:45 PM
WRONG. He a had a few that did pan and I would give him that, but he had some major issues getting personnel to fit the scheme.

Oh...so he had some that panned out? That's not what you previously said.

And, what were those major issues "getting the personnel to fit the scheme"? Give me some examples.

Was it putting Roy Williams at his position? No, I'd say that was a huge success.
Was it putting Dante Nicholson as a cornerback? No, I'd say that was successful, too.
Was it playing Matt McCoy as the nickel back? No, I'd say McCoy did a good job, too.

So, please list these major issues he had and make sure you are concise.

I'm sure you also think Paul Thompson should have replaced Jason White in the Orange Bowl or the Sugar Bowl?

Tear Down This Wall
10/11/2011, 04:49 PM
If any coach has a chance at a BCS level job, especially when they have never been a head coach previously, they take that job every time. Too much money involved not to do it.

Mike is a perfect example...he's made millions as the HC at Arizona and is now being paid millions to leave. Had he stayed at OU, his salary would be as high or a little higher than Venables, which is nowhere near what he was making at Zona not to mention he wouldn't get the big buyout. He and his family are set for life if he doesn't want to work again.

Personally, I think the BIG conference will have at least an opening at Purdue next year. He could be a candidate there, or maybe he goes back to Iowa to work with Ferentz who is a close friend. Or, maybe he goes into the NFL to coach defense with Jonathan Hayes or on another team.

I think he did a pretty good job at Arizona considering what he took over. At least he had them in bowl games every year and if he had a few breaks either direction maybe he's still the HC at Zona. The loss to ASU last year is one bad break...talk about bad luck to lose that game. If he wins that game, he probably plays in a different bowl game than vs OSU last year which was a tough assignment.

Your assumption is that he'd never get another offer except Arizona. And, Bob Stoops turned down jobs before OU got him. Some coaches wait for the right opportunity. Mike jumped at a bad one.

Congratulations to him for making money. But, if that's the reason he and Chuck Long took crappy jobs, they weren't cut out to be long time head coaches anyway.

JudInKC
10/11/2011, 05:00 PM
Your assumption is that he'd never get another offer except Arizona. And, Bob Stoops turned down jobs before OU got him. Some coaches wait for the right opportunity. Mike jumped at a bad one.

Congratulations to him for making money. But, if that's the reason he and Chuck Long took crappy jobs, they weren't cut out to be long time head coaches anyway.

I didn't mention Chuck Long as I think him taking the SDSU job was not good.

Mike, OTOH, made big bucks to take a BCS level job and is now set for life.

And, I am not assuming anything, however, how many offers has Brent Venables had? I bet if Brent were offered that Zona job instead Mike may be our DC right now. You never know how it works because it's tough for a coach to get a head coaching job when he's never been a head coach before. Most universities hire guys with experience running a program.

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 05:01 PM

And, what were those major issues "getting the personnel to fit the scheme"? Give me some examples.

Was it putting Roy Williams at his position? No, I'd say that was a huge success.
Was it putting Dante Nicholson as a cornerback? No, I'd say that was successful, too.
Was it playing Matt McCoy as the nickel back? No, I'd say McCoy did a good job, too.

I'm sure you also think Paul Thompson should have replaced Jason White in the Orange Bowl or the Sugar Bowl?

Still missing the point. Great at scheming, poor at evaluating. Also a head case.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 05:57 PM

Donta Nicholson was a corner?

sooneron
10/11/2011, 09:26 PM

I would suggest that you NOT call out my reading comprehension, whereas, yours succs.

This is what I ACTUALLY said -

He had some horrific ideas/recruits for dbs.

Some, you got that slappy? Good. Of your examples, you have Roy, Nicholson, & McCoy.
It's sorta funny that you go from great to pretty darn good to good (Being kind on that). Dude was scrambling with personnel due to the names above the lockers. It's 10:26 where I am, I am tired of you and Eric Bassey just bit on Josh Fields' play fake!
Not to mention, your having Nicholson @ corner is lolz city.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2011, 09:47 AM
I agree he evaluated film on the prospect and said to whoever was doing the recruiting "yes, go for this guy" or "no, don't go for that guy" but at the same time the coach doing the recruiting is telling Mike "this kid is rock solid, comes from a good family, good grades, fast, blah, blah, blah...". So, Mike, Brent, and teh rest of the defensive staff (probably Bob too) watch film and they all talk about each prospect and then slot them as you mentioned. In those meetings of watching film is when the coach doing the recruiting is asked about the kid (is he football smart, can he handle the mental aspect, etc.).

So, all the misses don't fall on Stoops shoulders just like Mangino or KW aren't responsible for all the OL turnover we had. Every coach is responsible because they all had a part in it, even Bob. To just say "Mike is the reason none of those players panned out" is an ignorant statement.

Besides, if he is responsible for the misses mentioned above as you and others seem to indicate then does he get the credit for the following who contributed and were good solid football players:

Lendy Holmes
Marcus Walker

These were Pelini recruits

Terrance Simms
Weird Case here. Technically he was in the 1st recruiting class (he was a qualified juco), but the NCAA rejected his qualifications so he had to stay at hutchinson and came in the next year.

Brodney Pool
I gave him Pool

Dante Nicholson
Darien Williams
Jason Carter

From 2000 to 2003 Mike recruited 23 DBs, Here is your list of people who panned out (thus the overall 80% attrition rate).

Edit: Looked it up, Matt McCoy was in his first recruiting class.

BillyBall
10/12/2011, 10:00 AM
Lendy Holmes
Marcus Walker

These were Pelini recruits

Terrance Simms
Weird Case here. Technically he was in the 1st recruiting class (he was a qualified juco), but the NCAA rejected his qualifications so he had to stay at hutchinson and came in the next year.

Brodney Pool
I gave him Pool

Dante Nicholson
Matt McCoy
Darien Williams
Jason Carter

From 2000 to 2003 Mike recruited 23 DBs, Here is your list of people who panned out (thus the overall 80% attrition rate).

Math is great.