PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Mike Stoops may be fired tonight

OUHOMER
10/10/2011, 07:38 PM
http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2011/10/10/sources-stoops-out-as-arizona-wildcats-football-coach/
Arizona will hold a news conference at 6 p.m. Monday, presumably to discuss the future of the Arizona Wildcats football program, two sources told TucsonCitizen.com late this afternoon.

Speculation is that coach Mike Stoops will be relieved of his duties.

Athletic director Greg Byrne will address the media at 6 p.m.

Stoops is 41-50 in his eighth season at Arizona. The Wildcats have lost 10 consecutive games at FBS opponents.

More later

MyT Oklahoma
10/10/2011, 07:40 PM
Happens.

Sooner5030
10/10/2011, 07:41 PM
will he be able to consult somewhere if he accepts a buyout?

SoonerMom2
10/10/2011, 07:41 PM
That was fast RT @CBSSports: Feldman: Mike Stoops out at Arizona - http://bit.ly/MikeStoops

Sooner in Tampa
10/10/2011, 08:08 PM
It's all over twitter ...Stoops is out.

Stupid bastards...who fires a coach mid-season

Soonerfan88
10/10/2011, 08:59 PM
I think we all expected him to be fired but I'm really shocked they did it midseason.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 09:07 PM
I'm not really since he lost this team about the middle of last season..Coaches with his personality only work when there is winning...

The Arizona AD's next phone call should be to mike leach

Phil
10/10/2011, 09:14 PM
Canning someone midseason is never good. That said, he hasn't beat a Division 1 (FBS) team in almost a full season's worth of games. Anyone taking bets on whether we see him as a sideline guest against Tech?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 09:17 PM
paging badger!

badger
10/10/2011, 09:23 PM
paging badger!

Why are you paging me. Those stupid Zona fans all wanted him out and are probably doing the opposite of melting down at their board now... but I guarantee you I'll be back when they lose 70-nil next game. :)

Seriously, they will reap what they sow. Dropping an ex-Stoops assistant at the first sign of not-winning is like breaking a mirror: Seven years bad luck. You see it with Kansas, you see it with Tech, you'll see it with Arizona, because they are NOT going to find a better guy if they're canning someone fresh off a bowl appearance who has taken them to consecutive bowls and had them respectable in the Pac.

Hell will hath no fury than what will happen to Houston if they unceremoniously dump Kevin Sumlin. You just do NOT turn ex-Stoops assistants loose and live to tell about it. Football programs beware!

bluedogok
10/10/2011, 09:25 PM

New Mexico...although Locksley should have been fired after last season.

SoFla Sooner
10/10/2011, 09:27 PM
:upset:I like Mike Stoops a lot. But he just lost to Oregon Freaking State. That will get you fired mid-season at a few schools if you have a string of losses to FBS schools like he has.

agoo758
10/10/2011, 09:35 PM
Hell will hath no fury than what will happen to Houston if they unceremoniously dump Kevin Sumlin. You just do NOT turn ex-Stoops assistants loose and live to tell about it. Football programs beware!

San Diego State heavily disagrees with you.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 09:37 PM
Why are you paging me. Those stupid Zona fans all wanted him out and are probably doing the opposite of melting down at their board now... but I guarantee you I'll be back when they lose 70-nil next game. :)

Seriously, they will reap what they sow. Dropping an ex-Stoops assistant at the first sign of not-winning is like breaking a mirror: Seven years bad luck. You see it with Kansas, you see it with Tech, you'll see it with Arizona, because they are NOT going to find a better guy if they're canning someone fresh off a bowl appearance who has taken them to consecutive bowls and had them respectable in the Pac.

San Diego St disagrees!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 09:37 PM
San Diego State heavily disagrees with you.

HAHAHA!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 09:38 PM

And Phil said the bet was if Mikey will be on sidelines for texas tech

Peach Fuzz
10/10/2011, 09:42 PM
San Diego St disagrees with you! Heavily.

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 09:50 PM
:upset:I like Mike Stoops a lot. But he just lost to Oregon Freaking State. That will get you fired mid-season at a few schools if you have a string of losses to FBS schools like he has.

Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a WINNER!

He was already on thin ice, then he went and lost (by 10) to the worst AQ conference team in the country. Possibly the worst team in the FBS AND FCS. That's what did it.

Still hate to see any coach fired mid-season (it makes the administration look stupid...."why did you start the year with him?" He was good enough 5 games ago, but not now?)

cleller
10/10/2011, 09:58 PM
So Mike does not do the head coach thing well. He stuffed shoved FSU into a corner and beat them up for our 2000 National Championship. Wish it had never ended.

nighttrain12
10/10/2011, 10:03 PM

When you are 1-5, your season is basically over anyway. He will still get paid so I don't feel sorry for him.

Petro-Sooner
10/10/2011, 10:29 PM
NM

olevetonahill
10/11/2011, 08:32 AM
Iffen ya gonna Merge why not merge em all?
:calm: