PDA

View Full Version : Kansas

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 03:10 PM
While it's always fun soaking in the victory over texas (even more so when it's such an asskicking), I took a look at KU (although, given what OSU did to them, I kinda already knew what kind of team they are).

Kansas has the worst defense in all of the FBS. Ranked 120th in total defense (out of 120 teams ranked). Ranked 113th in rushing defense and 119th in passing defense.

They are 2-3 overall, with their two wins coming against McNeese and N. Illinois (in a squeaker, 45-43).

Three losses to Georgia Tech (66-24), Texas Tech (45-34) and OSU (70-28)

If we show up, Landry & company may only see a half of playtime. Kansas is bad. Really bad.

badger
10/10/2011, 03:18 PM
Now now 8time, for a majority of the games they have actually fought in the first half before blowing the second half. The OSU game was just an exception.

Perhaps we'll see some fight outta KU when they're playing the top team in the country? It's happened before.

cvsooner
10/10/2011, 03:24 PM
Chuck Long is the O coordinator. This will be fun. Let's see...1st down, run for NG. 2nd down, run for 1 yard. 3rd down...pass. Followed by a punt. Repeat.

cvsooner
10/10/2011, 03:25 PM
Kansas has the worst defense in all of the FBS. Ranked 120th in total defense (out of 120 teams ranked). Ranked 113th in rushing defense and 119th in passing defense.

They are 2-3 overall, with their two wins coming against McNeese and N. Illinois (in a squeaker, 45-13).

Three losses to Georgia Tech (66-24), Texas Tech (45-34) and OSU (70-28)

If we show up, Landry & company may only see a half of playtime. Kansas is bad. Really bad.

The squeaker was 45-42. Truly was a squeaker. Kansas might be an NAIA powerhouse.

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 03:33 PM
The squeaker was 45-42. Truly was a squeaker. Kansas might be an NAIA powerhouse.

Good catch...I was being sincere about it being a squeaker...just put in the wrong score.

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 03:35 PM
Now now 8time, for a majority of the games they have actually fought in the first half before blowing the second half. The OSU game was just an exception.

Perhaps we'll see some fight outta KU when they're playing the top team in the country? It's happened before.

This game has all the makings of a poll dropper game for us. Since they have gotten beat up so badly by GaTech and OSU, anything less from us will have the media's pants up their asses and we'll drop.

With that being said, I'm not sure KU even sniffs the endzone (at least while the starters are in).

MikeInNorman
10/10/2011, 04:08 PM
Chuck Long is the O coordinator. This will be fun. Let's see...1st down, run for NG. 2nd down, run for 1 yard. 3rd down...pass. Followed by a punt. Repeat.

Just fyi cvsooner, Kansas has the 25th ranked total offense in the country, averaging 34.6 ppg, 6.08 yards per play, and 460 ypg.

Considering that they have no QB (Webb is resolutely mediocre; they recruited over him but the new guy isn't coming until next year), and are largely made up of freshmen and sophs, (the Fatman left the cupboard completely bare) KU's offense has overachieved as a very solid, but not spectacular, offense. What they cannot do is score every single possession, which is unfortunately necessary since the KU defense has a legitimate chance to be the worst defense ever fielded by an FBS team when all is said and done.

If you have had the displeasure of watching a KU game, as I sadly have, the incompetence of the defense is staggering. Every play looks like Dom's 65 yarder against Texas: untouched, with no one in the vicinity. I have honestly never seen anything like it from even the worst teams to ever play against OU. Not even the 77-0 curbstomping of A&M. (Who was the OC for that one?)

I don't expect KU's offense do do much against us, as we are far more talented on D than they are on O. They have had turnover problems the last two games, which have been deadly since their opponents always turn those into TDs due to the stench coming from the defensive side.

In sum, we will steamroll KU, and they are a terrible team which has a similar but opposite problem from Texas: they are young AND untalented. But their offense is very solid. If their defense only gave up 30 or 35 points a game, they could maybe go 6-6, or would at least have a fighting chance. But this year it will be a shocking upset if they win again.

badger
10/10/2011, 04:13 PM
This game has all the makings of a poll dropper game for us. Since they have gotten beat up so badly by GaTech and OSU, anything less from us will have the media's pants up their asses and we'll drop.

With that being said, I'm not sure KU even sniffs the endzone (at least while the starters are in).

I don't think so for one reason: The game is really late for a Big 12 game. Usually you only see nightcaps outta the Pac 10/12 or Hawaii.

So, they probably won't have much time to digest what we do to KU compared with the other games of the day.

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 04:19 PM
Just fyi cvsooner, Kansas has the 25th ranked total offense in the country, averaging 34.6 ppg, 6.08 yards per play, and 460 ypg.

Considering that they have no QB (Webb is resolutely mediocre; they recruited over him but the new guy isn't coming until next year), and are largely made up of freshmen and sophs, (the Fatman left the cupboard completely bare) KU's offense has overachieved as a very solid, but not spectacular, offense. What they cannot do is score every single possession, which is unfortunately necessary since the KU defense has a legitimate chance to be the worst defense ever fielded by an FBS team when all is said and done.

If you have had the displeasure of watching a KU game, as I sadly have, the incompetence of the defense is staggering. Every play looks like Dom's 65 yarder against Texas: untouched, with no one in the vicinity. I have honestly never seen anything like it from even the worst teams to ever play against OU. Not even the 77-0 curbstomping of A&M. (Who was the OC for that one?)

I don't expect KU's offense do do much against us, as we are far more talented on D than they are on O. They have had turnover problems the last two games, which have been deadly since their opponents always turn those into TDs due to the stench coming from the defensive side.

In sum, we will steamroll KU, and they are a terrible team which has a similar but opposite problem from Texas: they are young AND untalented. But their offense is very solid. If their defense only gave up 30 or 35 points a game, they could maybe go 6-6, or would at least have a fighting chance. But this year it will be a shocking upset if they win again.

Good points on the offense. They really aren't awful on that side of the ball. And, I completely agree that Mangino left absolutely nothing for Coach Gill. I happen to think Gill is a very good coach, and can have success at KU, however, it's going to take at least another year or two before he can start to turn things around. Not to mention it's got to be hard enough to recruit at KU when the team is winning...it's near impossible when they are getting stomped week in an week out.

I'm not sure if KU really has the 25th best offense in the country (as a lot of their yardage was against back-ups in two blow-outs, and two games against nearly non-quality opponents). But, having watched them play, they are nothing like the defense. Which is akin to watching a 5th grade football team playing a high school team.

CowboyMRW
10/10/2011, 04:28 PM
In warm-ups it looked like Kansas didn't even want to play the game Saturday. It was frankly embarrassing for them. Our starters were pulled with 3 minutes left in the first half. Yall will win much the same way we did.

MikeInNorman
10/10/2011, 04:30 PM
Good points on the offense. They really aren't awful on that side of the ball. And, I completely agree that Mangino left absolutely nothing for Coach Gill. I happen to think Gill is a very good coach, and can have success at KU, however, it's going to take at least another year or two before he can start to turn things around. Not to mention it's got to be hard enough to recruit at KU when the team is winning...it's near impossible when they are getting stomped week in an week out.

I'm not sure if KU really has the 25th best offense in the country (as a lot of their yardage was against back-ups in two blow-outs, and two games against nearly non-quality opponents). But, having watched them play, they are nothing like the defense. Which is akin to watching a 5th grade football team playing a high school team.

Last week against Aggy, half the yardage was definitely against the second team in the second half. That was a real mudhole stomping.

However, in the other two wipeouts, against Georgia Tech and Texas Tech, KU had most of their offense during the first half when the games were still competitive, and actually led Texas Tech at the half having rolled up 300 yards of offense.

But to your point, there's no doubt that when you are getting smoked like KU is getting smoked, there is no avoiding making some of your yards when you are 20, 30, 40 points down. I expect the same Saturday.

badger
10/10/2011, 05:01 PM
In warm-ups it looked like Kansas didn't even want to play the game Saturday. It was frankly embarrassing for them. Our starters were pulled with 3 minutes left in the first half. Yall will win much the same way we did.

They are a few years removed from Mangino, so I went back and looked at some of the allegations and stuff that led to KU being able to buy Mangino out for $3 million (they later bought out the AD that forced him out for $2 mil over that basketball ticket scandal).

From everything that I read, it sounded like Mangino was just trying the force the best out of a group of guys that might not have been as talented as some other Big 12 teams, but were still capable of winning and working hard if you just held their feet to the fire a little.

They said that the success was in spite of Mangino and that winning just disguised his bad motivational techniques. I'd say winning probably just encouraged the players to not give up.

And then, you see laid back Turner Gill with his players so down and out over sucking having no chance of competing with anyone in this league. What does Turner do to get them focused? I heard that Turner does stuff like take away cell phones so they can concentrate on the game. Ummmm... OK.

I once had a coach in high school that would endlessly scream at us. People tuned her out because we were losing and by a lot. We'd probably be a lot more on the same page if we were winning or at least competitive. I'd have to say the same probably rang true for KU and Mangino. KU and Turner? Zzzzzzzzzz

cvsooner
10/10/2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I saw the stats. They don't impress me much. I don't disagree with your assessment though. The defense is ranked 120th in the nation in yards and points and pass efficiency. They're 114th in turnover margins. They're woeful. I just don't see Chuck winging it out...they're averaging 219 yards in running and 250 in passing, but still. I don't think they've played anything close to the defense they're about to see. Tech (Georgia and Texas versions) and OSewe are not exactly my idea of stellar defenders.

badger
10/10/2011, 05:26 PM
You know, there was another fanbase that I depicted in the meltdown thread that was also complaining about running on first and second downs only to pass on third and have to punt on fourth. Maybe its a plague that's going around football. A mediocrity plague.

Ya wanna see how to do an unpredictable offense? Watch the Packers. What to do on 1st and 10 with the awesome prolific passer? Run the ball?!?! We weren't ready for that! Ok, it's now 2nd and short, so they could do either, ugggg, what is a defense to do? Long bomb?!?!?!?!? Well, they didn't get our long bomb down the field and it's now 3rd and 2. Surely they won't try a long bomb again and just run for the first down... oh we just gave the Packers a touchdown. Craaaaaaaap. Looks like it's back to losing record for us dirty birds :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

MikeInNorman
10/11/2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I saw the stats. They don't impress me much. I don't disagree with your assessment though. The defense is ranked 120th in the nation in yards and points and pass efficiency. They're 114th in turnover margins. They're woeful. I just don't see Chuck winging it out...they're averaging 219 yards in running and 450 in passing, but still. I don't think they've played anything close to the defense they're about to see. Tech (Georgia and Texas versions) and OSewe are not exactly my idea of stellar defenders.

The only reason I pointed that out was because your comment was not a slam on KU's offense, per se, but a direct and unwarranted slam on Chuck Long, who is doing a very good job under trying circumstances. That being said, I don't expect to see much against our defense either. I fully expect the game plan to be to run as much clock as possible to keep our second string offense from scoring 100 points, which will happen if they don't let the air out of the ball.