PDA

View Full Version : Passing Offense is superb, but anyone concerned with our running game?

basel90
10/10/2011, 11:27 AM
I mean the QB passing stats are outstanding ,top notch receivers, the defense is very solid , but what about our running game ?
We have seen our RBs not able to convert in the red zone and short yardage situations. I would hate to think we are too one dimentional on offense as that would be exploited in potential BCS Championship games with well coached , physical , top defensive teams such as Alabama and LSU or others . This has happened before as we all recall.
Are we passing heavily because we can or out of necessity?
Would appreciate any input fellow sooners.

GO OU .

Soonerjeepman
10/10/2011, 11:31 AM
we took advantage of their D looks...is what coaches said...

IronHorseSooner
10/10/2011, 11:39 AM
It is foolish to play into your enemy's strengths. They were loaded to stop the run; hence, you beat them with pass. Once they changed to stop our pass, Whaley goes for 64. Ask FSU, Tulsa, or Mizzou how our run game was.

pphilfran
10/10/2011, 11:40 AM
They loaded the box and then brought the house....you gotta keep running into the mess just to keep em honest.....

dennis580
10/10/2011, 11:40 AM
I mean the QB passing stats are outstanding ,top notch receivers, the defense is very solid , but what about our running game ?
We have seen our RBs not able to convert in the red zone and short yardage situations. I would hate to think we are too one dimentional on offense as that would be exploited in potential BCS Championship games with well coached , physical , top defensive teams such as Alabama and LSU or others . This has happened before as we all recall.
GO OU .

The only concerns I have is Heupel giving up on the run game so easily, and not running Whaley outside more.

JiminyChristmas
10/10/2011, 12:10 PM
Our run game stats are skewed because of the bubble passes to the RBs and the quick passes out to the WRs. Those are essentially glorified toss sweep plays, only much quicker and much wider to the edge. That doesn't bother me.

The part that seems worrisome and I'm sure is to the coaches is the ability to run the ball in the goal to go situations. We just are not built, and haven't been, to be a between the tackles running team. Look at the RBs at LSU and Alabama. Those guys are 240lbs to 250lbs. Our biggest back, Dom Whaley is maybe 210lbs? That is just a difference in the guys that we recruit for that position.

We could however put in a pretty effective heavy set that would have lots of options as far as plays that could be run. Millard at TB, Haywood (or Ratteree, sp?) at FB, Hannah at TE, Stills at X, and Broyles in the slot. Millard is that big body that moves like a TB. I think he would be just as good a TB as anyone at Bama or LSU except maybe Richardson. Obviously the coaches have their reasons for not going with this personnel grouping, but I bet the more we kick field goals from inside the 10, the more they will be looking at tweaking something when we get down there.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 12:13 PM
You know, I'm glad he didn't try and force the run..Last year we get up 21-0 early, and then we started trying to run the ball every 1st and 2nd down..It didnt work and we allowed texas to make a game of it when it should have been just as lopsided as this one.

The 2000 team was ranked 70th in the country in rushing..And like I've posted earlier, we are more Texas Tech offensively since Jones has been at the qb spot..However we need to do it, we need to figure out how to score from 5 yards out

pphilfran
10/10/2011, 12:14 PM
I agree...imo the run game is not stout enough in 3rd and short or goal line situations...

NormanPride
10/10/2011, 12:39 PM
You know, I'm glad he didn't try and force the run..Last year we get up 21-0 early, and then we started trying to run the ball every 1st and 2nd down..It didnt work and we allowed texas to make a game of it when it should have been just as lopsided as this one.

The 2000 team was ranked 70th in the country in rushing..And like I've posted earlier, we are more Texas Tech offensively since Jones has been at the qb spot..However we need to do it, we need to figure out how to score from 5 yards out

Hanna was stupid open the first time down. We can do it, Jones just needs to remember his TEs. They are frequently open since teams are giving so much attention to Stills and Broyles.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 12:42 PM
I don't remember where all of his INTs have been, but I know a few have been in the middle of the field..maybe a little apprehension to let it go?

NormanPride
10/10/2011, 12:44 PM
They've been deep passes. Armpunts. He just needs to remember that both Hanna and Heywood can catch really well. We'll get it done, and it's not like we couldn't score in the red zone, we just missed the first couple.

NormanPride
10/10/2011, 12:45 PM
Actually, looking at the box score every single one of our offensive touchdowns came within the red zone, and one was from the dreaded five yard line. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 12:50 PM
Well it improved us greatly in our rankings..all the way up to 67th in percentage of touchdowns scored in the redzone

NormanPride
10/10/2011, 01:06 PM
:D

MeMyself&Me
10/10/2011, 01:12 PM
The fact that Texas was selling out to stop the run says all you need to know about what Texas thought about OU's run game. Really, why force the run in that scenario when you have Jones, Broyles, and Stills.

I agree about red zone issues though. Got to figure that one out but I don't have high hopes for it. Leach's offense had issues with that and he never figured it out. That said, OU does have better personnel for that than did Tech.

badger
10/10/2011, 01:28 PM
I am concerned with the high stepping near the end of Whaley's touchdown run. It just doesn't have the high-step height that Adrian's did. Hopefully he can correct that immediately, or we should consider keeping him as a walk-on a bit longer.

CatfishSooner
10/10/2011, 01:28 PM
im concerned bout the run... i coaches dont give up om williams bc i think hes gonna be a good one

Iam4OUru
10/10/2011, 01:53 PM
If you can't run between the tackles and keep the defense honest....you won't have much success against a diciplined defense like Bammer. They'll shut down the bubble screens and, eventually, the passing game.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/10/2011, 01:53 PM
whaley's td was not from the redzone

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 02:21 PM
For my entire life, I've heard how important it is to run the football. I've heard things like "You have to run to set up the pass", "You have to run to keep the defense honest" and "You have to run to eat the clock". All true, but I think in today's college football, being a successful running team is overrated.

When I was a kid, running is all OU did. And we won...a lot. Now, we are known as a passing team...and we win...a lot. Think about it; take away Whaley's longest run, and our rushing yards are pretty cappy...yet we kicked the **** out of texas.

Nowadays, I think you can use the pass to set up the run (which we did a good job of Saturday). Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the bubble screens and the like are just exciting long toss plays. Running plays disguised as high percentage passes.

We need to be able to run better, but we can win with what we have now.

rekamrettuB
10/10/2011, 02:25 PM
A little but that was also one of, if not the only, strength of that Texas team.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/10/2011, 03:12 PM
I think that our running game is a lot stronger than most realize. I don't know if anyone else saw Randle living in our backfield again, but we got abused in A gap for the first 2 quarters. What do you do with a guy who goes crazy go nuts one game of the year? You avoid him. Thus Heupel took what the defense gave him. Diaz was overloading the run and putting our receivers in 1 on 1 with linebackers. That is the key, not many teams have a 5th and 6th DB that can cover and play the run like a linebacker. When we face one, yes we are going to have some issues but no more than other teams are going to struggle against our stockpile of DEs. Also, Whaley has over 600 Rushing/Receiving yards in 5 games and is still averaging 5.6 yards per carry. Yes he did it in Peterson fashion against Texas (1 big one, a lot of little ones) but that isn't normally the way he works.

SoonerShay
10/10/2011, 04:32 PM
We average more yards per carry then LSU does, I bet you won't find one person(fan or analyst) calling out their running game.

NormanPride
10/10/2011, 04:50 PM
I am concerned with the high stepping near the end of Whaley's touchdown run. It just doesn't have the high-step height that Adrian's did. Hopefully he can correct that immediately, or we should consider keeping him as a walk-on a bit longer.

Go back and look at HolaKyle's highlight film. That's just Whaley mashing the sprint button as hard as he can. He's a long strider.

PLaw
10/10/2011, 04:57 PM

GO OU .

Why panic? uterus sold out to stop the run, often with eight in the box. Josh, Jay, & Co. took what they were giving. Our O is tremendously balanced and if you are going to go whole hog to stop one facet of our arsenal, then you will pay.

BOOMER

Partial Qualifier
10/10/2011, 04:57 PM
No.

SoonerKnight
10/10/2011, 05:29 PM
No, the run game is fine. They sold out to stop the run because they know we can break a few and were worried about their players tackling abillity I am sure. We made them pay through the year. I think next Saturday we will pad some run numbers. If we can not run on Kansas then we have issues. I am not sure that will be a problem though. Also, we have been a very plain offense. No, razzle dazzle yet. I have not seen us use much that we hadn't already seen. So maybe we are saving our best for OSU????

Sabanball
10/10/2011, 06:39 PM

GO OU .

You sound like me talking on the Bama boards about our passing game...Lol.

Seriously, if you look at the stats your running game is not all that bad and our passing O isn't either, though I do think we try to be a little more balanced than you guys do. I've said it before here many times, we don't ask our qb to be a hero but just to manage the game, throw for 200-250yds, and not get us beat--it's nothing flashy, but it's a formula that has worked for us and given us a 42-5 record over the last 4 yrs.

Should you be concerned with your run game? I don't think so, but you will need it and more balance when you will most likely play us or LSU in January.:calm:

East Coast Bias
10/10/2011, 07:01 PM
I think we should let our defensive line play offensive line for a series and see how the run game works then?

JLMSOONER
10/10/2011, 07:32 PM
Well I'm more worried about the secondary than the run game. Even craig James said our O was the better than bammer or grass eaters. Although I don't think Whaley is another AD I love his story and his heart. I think the run game is in good hands. Boomer!

I Am Right
10/10/2011, 08:09 PM
No

cccasooner2
10/10/2011, 08:18 PM
Go back and look at HolaKyle's highlight film. That's just Whaley mashing the sprint button as hard as he can. He's a long strider.

So badger is the only one in the family with a sense of humor?

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2011, 10:45 PM
Our run game is much improved since last season and has been effective. The horn D-line was the best we've faced and they did make it difficult to run; especially in the first half. They were loading the box and leaving big pass plays open and Heupel wasn't afraid to take advantage. A nice change from last year, IMO. It's really hard to be a great running team and a great passing team - not impossible, but rare. I'd rather be great at something than balanced and mediocre.

I'm also convinced that Heupel (or Norvel) was not happy with our short passing game late in the 3rd/early in the 4th. They went almost exclusively to short passes for a couple of series as if it were a drill in a scrimmage. If that is right, I salute them. This game was won - use the remaining time to improve for the next one.

SouthFortySooner
10/11/2011, 04:17 PM

I noticed this also. When Adrian hit high gear he was chug-a-lugging. Dom was more chuck-a-lucking. Concern abounds!

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 04:20 PM
You sound like me talking on the Bama boards about our passing game...Lol.

Seriously, if you look at the stats your running game is not all that bad and our passing O isn't either, though I do think we try to be a little more balanced than you guys do. I've said it before here many times, we don't ask our qb to be a hero but just to manage the game, throw for 200-250yds, and not get us beat--it's nothing flashy, but it's a formula that has worked for us and given us a 42-5 record over the last 4 yrs.

Should you be concerned with your run game? I don't think so, but you will need it and more balance when you will most likely play us or LSU in January.:calm:

Aren't you guys averaging more per carry than you are per passing attempt? That's not great.

cccasooner2
10/11/2011, 04:36 PM
whaley's td was not from the redzone

When you have an athletic guy like Whaley, who can do a 40 foot vertical, the redzone moves out a little.

VA Sooner
10/11/2011, 06:40 PM
Give the o-line time a little more time to gel with Ikard taking Habern's place and Jarvis working his way back into the lineup.

The silver lining on Habern's injury... we'll get him back before OSU if the timeline is right and for the bowl.

Unless he's on TLew's calendar.... then he'll back back this Saturday.

mightysooner
10/11/2011, 06:55 PM
I think our run game sucks because our scheme sucks. Running the ball out of the shotgun and having your TB run laterally all the time hoping a crease opens isn't much of a scheme nor is it a physical style of running. I also think that's why our O line doesn't seem more physical is it's a lame scheme. For some reason, and it persists under Heupel, we have no interest in misdirection or running north/south. I think that's why we can't score inside the 5 running the football is because we ask our O line and our TB's to run in a manner they're not accustomed to.

Does it worry me? Very much so! As high flying and scoring as our air attacks have been, what title game have we played in since 2000 that we didn't get our passing game totally shut down in? Florida shut us down. LSU shut us down. And we couldn't respond on the ground enough to counter it either time. This will continue until we revamp our running scheme for a more physical style of running, which mean more north/south, different blocking schemes, put in misdrection, and not running out of the soft shotgun formation.

As for Texas, Heupel did what he should've done and that's turn Landry and our WR's loose on a young, green secondary that couldn't keep up in any way and that was the correct call.

Okie35
10/11/2011, 07:17 PM
No our passing opens up the run game sometimes.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2011, 09:07 PM
I think our run game sucks because our scheme sucks. Running the ball out of the shotgun and having your TB run laterally all the time hoping a crease opens isn't much of a scheme nor is it a physical style of running. I also think that's why our O line doesn't seem more physical is it's a lame scheme. For some reason, and it persists under Heupel, we have no interest in misdirection or running north/south. I think that's why we can't score inside the 5 running the football is because we ask our O line and our TB's to run in a manner they're not accustomed to.

Does it worry me? Very much so! As high flying and scoring as our air attacks have been, what title game have we played in since 2000 that we didn't get our passing game totally shut down in? Florida shut us down. LSU shut us down. And we couldn't respond on the ground enough to counter it either time. This will continue until we revamp our running scheme for a more physical style of running, which mean more north/south, different blocking schemes, put in misdrection, and not running out of the soft shotgun formation.

As for Texas, Heupel did what he should've done and that's turn Landry and our WR's loose on a young, green secondary that couldn't keep up in any way and that was the correct call.

Our running game is not dominant, but no way does it suck. I assume you are just using hyperbole. I'm sure we can improve our running game just as we can improve any aspect of the team. But I postulate there is a trade-off and it's near impossible to be a dominant running team and a dominate passing team at the same time. It's easy to be balanced and mediocre. I want dominate myself. I was a big fan of the wishbone when no one could stop us running and our passing game was weak. I'm a big fan of what we do now in our pass first approach. I'd much rather be dominant and have a shot at a title than try to play left-handed to our weaknesses. There's always tradeoffs and the wishbone teams were screwed in a big game if the other guy could force us into an obvious passing situation just as our current approach is screwed if we need a power running game. But you have to get there first and there is always a worry when you get there because the other guy is going to be good too. There are no guarantees.

JoeUSooner
10/11/2011, 09:42 PM
If you can't run between the tackles and keep the defense honest....you won't have much success against a diciplined defense like Bammer. They'll shut down the bubble screens and, eventually, the passing game.

Not sure I understand your argument ... if an opposing team defends too strongly against OU's passing, then OU absolutely CAN "run between the tackles"...

No defense (including "Bammer") CAN fully shut down OU's bubble screens WITHOUT taking resources away from the effort to stop the run game. The laws of physics don't allow "8 men in the box" AND "out of the box" coverage of all RBs/TEs/Slot Receivers at the same time. If Bama (or any other team) does over-concentrate on OU's passing game, the run will open up. Exact reverse-corollary to UTexass' over-concentration on OU's run game, which opened up the pass game... and which the OU coaches immediately recognized and responded to.

With the RRS Game as an example of the OU coaching staff's prowess, I have confidence in their ability (Heupel's, in particular) to quickly recognize which defensive plan (pure or hybrid) that the opposing team posits. Why don't you? Are you already convinced that if OU plays a team that defends the pass first, the coaches will somehow reach up and turn their collective brains to the "off" position, and thus be unable to adjust the gameplan?