PDA

View Full Version : California!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okie52
10/10/2011, 08:59 AM
California Gov. Jerry Brown signs Dream Act into law

.By Liz Goodwin | The Lookout – 38 mins ago.. .

Young illegal immigrants in California can now compete for state-funded scholarships and grants in order to attend the state's prestigious universities and community colleges.

Gov. Jerry Brown signed the measure into law this Saturday. Illegal immigrants who graduated from the state's high schools could already attend college at in-state rates and compete for privately funded scholarships.

"The Dream Act benefits us all by giving top students a chance to improve their lives and the lives of all of us," Brown said in a statement.

Republican state lawmaker Tim Donnelly, who opposes the law, told the L.A. Times that he plans to start a referendum drive to get the issue on the ballot next year. A Senate committee estimated the grants will cost $40 million a year.

Even as at least five states passed laws cracking down on illegal immigrants over the past year, California, Rhode Island, Maryland and Connecticut have gone in the opposite direction by expanding access to college for illegal immigrants who graduate high school in those states. Currently, 11 states have laws extending in-state tuition rates to illegal immigrants, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. But before California endorsed this latest legislation, only two other states--Texas and New Mexico--had offered financial aid to those students.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/california-gov-jerry-brown-signs-dream-act-law-131702249.html

An amazing state.

Midtowner
10/10/2011, 09:50 AM
Smart move unless you want to continue to work on creating a permanent underclass.

NormanPride
10/10/2011, 09:57 AM
I don't see what this has to do with creating a permanent underclass...

okie52
10/10/2011, 10:04 AM
Smart move unless you want to continue to work on creating a permanent underclass.

A bankrupt state subsidizing illegals. Makes perfect sense rather than getting rid of them.

Zin
10/10/2011, 10:05 AM
If California is the funding these grants and scholarships, more power to them! States should have the right to determine these issues.

okie52
10/10/2011, 10:10 AM
If California is the funding these grants and scholarships, more power to them! States should have the right to determine these issues.

The states have the power, evidently, to grant benefits to illegals. They do not, unfortunately, always have the power to deny them. California passed a law 20 years ago to deny benefits to illegals and their children. It was overturned in federal court even though CA voters had passed the measure by almost 2-1.

KantoSooner
10/10/2011, 10:28 AM
Where is this money coming from? Last I heard, Cali was flat *** broke. Did a rich uncle die and leave them some more money to fritter away? If there was ever a case for establishing a drunkard's trust for a state, California would be it.

NormanPride
10/10/2011, 10:42 AM
I don't know that it's costing them more money, per se. I think it's just that they can now compete for existing scholarships. Which, IMO, is terrible since that means legal residents will be pushed out if illegal ones are granted the scholarship. This seems like a terrible injustice, but it is Cali's right to do it...

BU BEAR
10/10/2011, 10:42 AM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/congress-takes-group-of-schoolchildren-hostage,26207/

Perhaps, Congress is going to pass on to California some of the $12 Trillion it gets to release the school children Congress has taken hostage.

soonercruiser
10/10/2011, 08:51 PM
Kanto,
Where have you been? Obama is planning on bailing out the bankrupt states.....with our tax dollars....er....no!
Just using more federal debt!

GOD Save the Republic!

badger
10/10/2011, 09:33 PM
I don't understand the act very well, but it seems that this Dream Act also has a stipulation that the grant money must go to legal residents first before illegal residents can apply and those who are illegal that apply must also prove that they are on the pathway to obtaining citizenship.

So, it's not like they're yanking money that would go to legal residents or they're encouraging students to be illegal.

But like many have mentioned, I just don't know if California has the money to do this, or anything else, really. Perhaps they should just declare bankruptcy and hit the reset button on the Nintendo :(