PDA

View Full Version : Heupel or Leach?

cleller
10/10/2011, 07:48 AM
It seems to me that Josh is really hitting his stride calling the offense. (no disrespect to Jay Norvell). Reminds me of how it was when he was a player; it can be 3rd and 25, but he has a plan for that.

Now the Love of Leach has always been around this board. Would you take Heupel or Leach as the better OC? I'll stick with Josh, I think he is more flexible.

CrimsonRez
10/10/2011, 07:52 AM
I think Josh is more adept to switching up the plan when one isn't working. Leach from the years that I have watched, runs more along the lines of "my plan is going to work hell or high water". Josh has a way to go but if he keeps it up I see no reason he won't be better than Leach 4 or 5 years down the road. I'm ready to see what he can do with a new, younger QB when Landry leaves.

SoonersEnFuego
10/10/2011, 07:52 AM
Would I rather have an Audi Q7 or and Infiniti FX? They're both awesome.

C&CDean
10/10/2011, 07:53 AM
Leach is the master. Heupel is the grasshoppah. "when you can snatch the pebble from my hand, then you will be ready grasshoppah..."

GottaHavePride
10/10/2011, 08:03 AM
Heupel is benefiting from having a pretty stellar offensive crew executing the plans. Leach could get it to work even with less talent at Taco Tech. Give Josh a few years. ;)

pweitkem
10/10/2011, 08:18 AM
Norvell has just as much to do with the offense as Heupel does. And neither are in the same ballpark as Leach at this point in time.

Breadburner
10/10/2011, 08:21 AM
Norvell has just as much to do with the offense as Heupel does. And neither are in the same ballpark as Leach at this point in time.

Ding...ding....ding...We have a winnah.....!!!!!

Tear Down This Wall
10/10/2011, 08:25 AM
Leach was only here for one season. He never even won a division title as Texas Tech's head coach. No one is beating down Leach's door either these days. I mean, maybe Florida Atlantic will take a shot at him since he's already in Florida and Schnellenburger is retiring.

Heupel. Easily, Heupel.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 08:25 AM
One thing that the leach offense and this one struggle at is inside the 5 scoring..once these guys get that worked out, I'll crown them

jkjsooner
10/10/2011, 08:27 AM
It seems to me that Josh is really hitting his stride calling the offense. (no disrespect to Jay Norvell). Reminds me of how it was when he was a player; it can be 3rd and 25, but he has a plan for that.

I think Heupel has done a fantastic job but then again I think we've had outstanding offensive coordinators ever since Stoops arrived.

Josh is helped out a lot by having a very talented group around him.

rekamrettuB
10/10/2011, 08:41 AM
One thing I believe Heupel will excel at is game preparation...specifically the month between the final game of the season and OU's bowl game (hopefully the NC game in NOLA). Nobody will outwork Heupel in the film room.

PrideMom
10/10/2011, 09:14 AM
I loved the first play that Heupel called, pass to Broyles for almost 50 yards! So much for a conservative first play!!!! Go Sooners!!!

The Ghost of Mex
10/10/2011, 09:28 AM
I loved the first play that Heupel called, pass to Broyles for almost 50 yards! So much for a conservative first play!!!! Go Sooners!!!

I liked it as well. It was a fairly conservative play call, however. The poor coverage and record breaking receiver led to the yardage. Shur beats a draw play though...

Sooner_Tuf
10/10/2011, 09:41 AM
Josh having won a National Championship as a QB has an advantage I think. He has coached a Heisman winner, himself a Heisman finalist. Leach may have a few more years but it hard to say he has more experience as he has less big game experience. I think they are both great but at this point I give Josh the edge. After all Josh has a job and Mike doesn't. If Bob wanted Mike back I suspect he would be here.

dennis580
10/10/2011, 10:28 AM
Leach HANDS DOWN. I have a ton of respect for him as the best offensive mind in the game.

dennis580
10/10/2011, 10:35 AM
I'm ready to see what he can do with a new, younger QB when Landry leaves.

Sad that Landry probably won't be truely appreciated until he is gone. Most underrated player in OU history.

Wishboned
10/10/2011, 10:53 AM
What I'm wondering is this...Stoops became a head coach at 39. Heupel is 33. Will Heupel be a head coach somewhere before he's 39?

Jacie
10/10/2011, 11:18 AM
Since the Josh/Jay offense clicked from the opening drive there was no need to go to the special play. I do think Josh will have to break it out sometime this year, probably against lOSUr. Of course, I am talking about that one developed by Mike Leach and used only a few times when he was here . . . the ninjee.

badger
10/10/2011, 11:44 AM
He never even won a division title as Texas Tech's head coach.

Let's be fair --- a three-way tie means that three teams won the division, not just the one that won the tiebreaker to get into the Big 12 title game.

Without Mikey's miracle win over UT, it would have been stupid whorn in the Big 12 title game, stupid whorn in the BCS title game, and dare we suggest... stupid whorn winning the Heisman that year????

Give Mikey his divisional title win for 2008. They were a great team that year that just put up a stinker in Norman... but we totally rolled over in Dallas in the second half so you can't overlook our own loss that year either.

As for Heupel vs. Leach, I think they're two different styled coordinators, but what I like about Josh so far is that his drives take longer to give our defense more rest, something that teams that Leach worked his magic seemed to struggle with.

StoopTroup
10/10/2011, 11:51 AM
One thing that the leach offense and this one struggle at is inside the 5 scoring..once these guys get that worked out, I'll crown them

Yep. Once they get it worked out they'll hang 100 on fexaz.

yermom
10/10/2011, 11:51 AM
i totally called that play to the flat to open the game :D

two years in a row!

Vegas Sooner
10/10/2011, 11:52 AM
...We still have to win a bunch of games.