PDA

View Full Version : munstberger's comment about starters...

Soonerjeepman
10/9/2011, 10:27 PM
did anyone catch ol brent saying something about the D starters being in til the end...def wasn't a favorable comment...

and the pimping of the ******* network....geeze...what a jerk..

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2011, 10:51 PM
I'm sure Mustberger has no choice but to pimp the LHN.

SoonerDood
10/9/2011, 11:05 PM
I'm sure Mustberger has no choice but to pimp the LHN.
You're right. He's a company man, and must toe the company line.

the-rover
10/9/2011, 11:14 PM
f 'em

Keller Sooner
10/9/2011, 11:21 PM
I used to love Musberger doing the OU games. That was before the Texas longhorn deal. Now, I'm sorry, but I can't stand him or ESPIN. I used to watch ESPIN every day, now I only watch when an OU game is on one of their channels. That may be childish but I can't help it.

cantwait48
10/9/2011, 11:58 PM
I think furburger was just trying to get fans to keep watching saying stoops was going to pour it on because of yada yada yada

Serge Ibaka
10/10/2011, 12:19 AM
Yeah. I got very-much tired of Musburger saying that Stoops was running it up because of the Boise State guy.

Gaw-Lee...Was the Boise State loss the reason for 63-14 or 64-13? Nope. Stoops poors it on if he can; OU routinely beats cream-puffs like that, so why shouldn't they on Texas? Hell, especially if it's Texas. I was pissed that they kept it within 40.

At any rate, I think Musburger is just losing it a little bit--I've noticed more "WTF" moments during his calls over the past year. My favorite from Saturday (after Whitaker's return): "ALL THE BBQ YOU WANT, young man..." Of course, Musburger was referencing a story he told about Whitaker's family about 90 minutes earlier. But out of context, the comment was off-putting and strange (and funny).

Not that I'm really hating--calling games would be tough; I couldn't do it in a million years. But it's time for him to hang up the ole' broadcasting mic, I say.

EatLeadCommie
10/10/2011, 08:00 AM
Not all the starters were in. I saw Geneo Grissom get flagged for a PF late in the game. Bird is the word was in there too, though he may have been filling in due to an injury.

Partial Qualifier
10/10/2011, 08:25 AM
Speaking of Bird, he looked solid in relief out there

Tear Down This Wall
10/10/2011, 08:28 AM
It wasn't that bad. And, he was right. Several defensive starters limped off in the final period. There was no reason for them to be out there. This is an area where Stoops is wholly unlike Switzer, who never left starters in during blowouts.

mainline13
10/10/2011, 08:36 AM
It wasn't that bad. And, he was right. Several defensive starters limped off in the final period. There was no reason for them to be out there. This is an area where Stoops is wholly unlike Switzer, who never left starters in during blowouts.

Is the travel squad limit still smaller than the home squad limit? I know, it isn't that small, but if you rotate 1s and 2s the whole game, how many 3s do you have?

I'm not saying that is the reason for it, by the way, it's actually a question. They change the rules without consulting me all the time.

Tear Down This Wall
10/10/2011, 08:57 AM
No. Stoops just leaves the starters in. He always has. He will until a major injury occurs. He just has a different philosophy about it.

thecynic
10/10/2011, 09:09 AM
well, the starters were in. What was he supposed to say? It looks bad sometimes. It's just Stoops philosophy but it still looks bad.
The pimping of the LHN I'm sure was stuff he had to say. There are certain promos that are written that they are required to get in at the end or beginning of certain commercial breaks. Regardless of how Brent feels about the LHN, he has to read what he is told. In this case he is just the messenger.
I get tired of all the "every announcer is against us" stuff. I just don't buy it. There was no bigger cheerleader for SToops and OU in 2000 than Brent. He just picks certain stories and wears them out.

Tear Down This Wall
10/10/2011, 09:23 AM
well, the starters were in. What was he supposed to say? It looks bad sometimes. It's just Stoops philosophy but it still looks bad.
The pimping of the LHN I'm sure was stuff he had to say. There are certain promos that are written that they are required to get in at the end or beginning of certain commercial breaks. Regardless of how Brent feels about the LHN, he has to read what he is told. In this case he is just the messenger.
I get tired of all the "every announcer is against us" stuff. I just don't buy it. There was no bigger cheerleader for SToops and OU in 2000 than Brent. He just picks certain stories and wears them out.

I think here's the point at which people forget it's a television show and has a producer. They don't just sit two guy in the booth and let them go at it without direction.

Sponsors are going to have to be pimped. Network shows and affiliated networks are going to have to be pimped. The producer is in their ear and keeping them on schedule with that kind of stuff.

I agree with the cynic here on the "every announcer is against us" thing. Look, these are shows. They have producers. They have research and writers. Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit or any of them are going to take sides because it's a show. They've been told what story lines to play up. Very rarely are they just up there winging it.

cantwait48
10/10/2011, 09:30 AM
I have always thought we leave people like Jones and Broyles in a series too long but for defensive guys stoops would have to be stupid to pull out all the starters at once. texas was still trying to score with one of their main qb's as I recall. People that vote in these polls don't watch the games they just look at the scores, why would we want to give up a couple of back door TDs and it end up being 55-31 and we are perceived as having a porous defense.

Also in some areas we do not have that many backup guys. I know we had Grissom and Ndule in there at DE but I am not sure we have many other tackles than the main 4 that play and the guys redshirting. You also have to make sure your guys are in shape to go 4 qtrs when the time does come that you have a close game.

For these reasons I can see his philosophy but seriously, get Jones and Broyles out of there already.

MeMyself&Me
10/10/2011, 09:32 AM
When Stoops puts the backups in, he rotates them in with the starters. It leaves the impression that 'all the starters' are on the field if not paying close attention. Anyway, Brandon Williams was in the game on offense for example. Yah know, the 4th string running back behind Whaley, Clay, and Finch, and fumbled the ball to Texas. Also, isn't the DL that ran back that last fumble for OU a 2 string guy? Of course when both those things happened there were starters on the field too so, yeah, Stoops never plays backups and runs up the score on people.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/10/2011, 09:54 AM
You guys always find somethin to bitch about. *smh*

Sabanball
10/10/2011, 10:22 AM
I agree. Just because Bob wanted to keep practically all your starters on O and D in to the very end to impress the voters is his right.;-)

StaTusDiaLing
10/10/2011, 10:25 AM
I just accept that if we play a team with a larger media following, the network is going to pander to the bigger audience. Of course, the announcers have the most over inflated egos imaginable and probably think that say whatever they want and it has to be true.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/10/2011, 10:30 AM
It's somewhat strange that Coach Stoops doesn't like designed QB run plays for his QBs due to fear of injury after what transpired in the 2001 season with White and Hybl (not specific to run plays, just injuries in general), yet despite that, he keeps the experienced Sooner QB in longer than they need to be. I sure miss allowing the QB to run, that was a big part of the 2000 season despite it being long forgotten by many.

If I recall, while it was great defense on the Sooners part that led to FSU's low rushing output, Josh Heupel may have outrushed the entire Florida St. offense and he had positive rushing yards in the 2000 season as a whole. Landry isn't a stellar runner obviously, but having him do it every once in awhile would most certainly catch the opposing defense off-guard.

Soonerjeepman
10/10/2011, 10:44 AM
Not all the starters were in. I saw Geneo Grissom get flagged for a PF late in the game. Bird is the word was in there too, though he may have been filling in due to an injury.

Bird was in for Wort who strained his back on a collision with Lewis...

Lots of comments....agree with some...I think we rotate our Dline and ends for sure...so just cause ya started doesn't mean ya played a lot....

understand the "company line" crap...just tired of it..