PDA

View Full Version : A Touch of Nasty

Sooner70
10/9/2011, 10:25 PM
I get the idea that this bunch has a touch of nasty in them that bubbles forth before & during the game. Sorta saw it at FSU, then again in this RRR.
I'm not talking classless Miami '80's nasty, though.....I'm talking about some tough minded dudes that can back up what they say physically, and given a chance, love to do it.

The TV announcers were talking before the game about how the UT side of the field seemed more calm and collected, but the OU players were rather raucous and animated. I liked the results.

OUNASH
10/9/2011, 10:39 PM
OK to talk trash if you can back it up and I would say this team backs it up. T. Lewis being the ring leader, gotta love it.

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 10:45 PM
I agree. What's the saying, "Attitude reflects leadership"? Travis Lewis is nasty (not the 'Canes nasty). I suspect he has passed that on to his teammates.

It's been awhile since we had a "nasty" defense. It's overdue.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2011, 10:49 PM
As long as they don't hurt the other teams' feelings, I'm good with it.

AlboSooner
10/9/2011, 10:57 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee483/albosooner/Dont-helpme-horn.gif

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2011, 11:01 PM
That play from Stills actually surprised me. Nothing wrong with it as there is no rule that you let the other guys help you back to your feet. I wonder if it is because he is from California and doesn't know any of the UT players like so many of our other guys that knew each other from HS.

Partial Qualifier
10/9/2011, 11:19 PM
Stills gave 'em a little more attitude after the interaction displayed in the gif. His reaction at the end of this play reminded me of Mark Clayton in 2003 pushing the Texas DB's off of him after a big catch & run.

As far as the defense goes, I agree with the premise of this thread! Sharks don't **** around!!

StoopTroup
10/9/2011, 11:27 PM
It hasn't always been roses for Kenny he's had to tone it down. I don't think it's anything to do with not knowing guys from feazax. He's a competitor. Like Broyles he likes to find a spot in space that's his and he likes to score TDs on you.

Some of you might remember how mad Bob got about this penalty. He expects our guys to be smart. Celebrate but don't get us a penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMTjBKvs_E&NR=1

StoopTroup
10/9/2011, 11:55 PM
Kenny is all business....

Stooper
10/10/2011, 12:45 AM
I definitely think the whole "SHARK" thing with our DB's is starting to effect our Swagger. I even saw a lot of the fans doing it during the game. Maybe this might be a new tradition.....

SoonerOX
10/10/2011, 12:48 AM
Flemming doing the shark to the cameras was fantastic....as well as Tlew. I like the idea of our defense being known as the sharks.

King Barry's Back
10/10/2011, 12:48 AM
I agree. What's the saying, "Attitude reflects leadership"? Travis Lewis is nasty (not the 'Canes nasty). I suspect he has passed that on to his teammates.

It's been awhile since we had a "nasty" defense. It's overdue.

This. Oklahoma seems to have the best set of defensive leaders since '00.

StoopTroup
10/10/2011, 01:50 AM
I think it's the #12 thing. From what I could tell Tom Wort did a post game interview for Travis Lewis who IMO had really dug deep into his own soul to go out and honor Austin Saturday and once he got the the locker room it seemed that it had hit him that he had indeed just played with the intensity that Austin had the year before and IMO had honored Austin in the most personal fitting way he could. He played his heart out.

That's the side of Travis I've been waiting to see. Not the animal....the committed to excellence and commitment to the Team Travis.

I know some might say that he's always been committed but I don't think he really hit the mark until last Saturday. He's a Sooner that bleeds crimson blood and will be a Sooner even once they lay him to rest 70 years from now. I'll truly be a fan of TLEW from here on out. I think this #12 jersey thing is really taking hold on our Defensive guys. Austin's Spirit is living in each of them one game at a time and I hope Austin's Family is touched by it as it's apparent to me that something special is happening.

God Bless the Box Family

We miss you Austin!

ST

Peach Fuzz
10/10/2011, 02:55 AM
I would have to agree. The 12 thing, and the other is unfortunately what we needed for motivation if you will. Wb ST

ouwino
10/10/2011, 05:59 AM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee483/albosooner/Dont-helpme-horn.gif

that reaction of stills is "old school". back in the day when we didnt have face masks on our helmets, if someone knocked you down you dang sure didnt let them help you up. vice versa too, if you knocked someone down, they can get up on their own. i liked what kenny did. old school football. you guys call it nasty... ok that's cool, but i call it old school. i really like this team.

oumartin
10/10/2011, 06:20 AM
Yep, the Stills thing has nothing to do with being nasty. I would expect no other reaction than the one he gave.

But yes the defense has an attitude and me likes it.

okienole3
10/10/2011, 06:22 AM
For those of you at the game, talk about the incident when the shorthorns took the field. I've heard our whole sideline met them at the middle of the field for some trash talk. I was told it looked coordinated and very intimidating.

Sooner70
10/10/2011, 07:04 AM
BoulderSooner79

I read a postgame with Stills and he sorta expressed remorse for his reaction. However, he laid it off to the fact that he was frustrated with himself for making the catch and that manifested his behavior. He was out of sorts with himself, and wasn't amendable to any niceties. On hindsight, he admitted he probably shouldn't have reacted thataway, but he was frustrated and mad at himself, not the Texas players.

Reminds me of a few years back, though. I think it was Texas' Roy Williams that came up to an OU player pregame at RRR to offer a handshake, looking forward to a good game, and the OU player refused. I may be wrong on this, but I think it was Brandon Everedge #7. Anyway, he was asked about his refusal later, and he said something like "....I didn't come to this game to exchange niceties. I came here to play ball.",, or something like that.

Sooner70
10/10/2011, 07:05 AM
Sorry.....clarify......Stills said he was mad at himself for NOT making the catch.....thought he should've and was frustrated with himself and caused his adverse reaction.

JLMSOONER
10/10/2011, 07:50 AM
I like the attitude of the whole team and I think Landry and TLew are great leaders. RRR was a great defensive effort and game plan. However the * Oline and QB play was average at best. We still have been susceptible to good Oline play and QB's that r mobile. Albeit it has bend and not necessarily break. The better news is they seem to continue to improve.

delhalew
10/10/2011, 08:46 AM
So nasty that we broke FSUs spirit in addition to their bodies. Look at Missouri. There are teams that won't be the same after they play us. I like it.

OUHOMER
10/10/2011, 09:03 AM
For those of you at the game, talk about the incident when the shorthorns took the field. I've heard our whole sideline met them at the middle of the field for some trash talk. I was told it looked coordinated and very intimidating.

Yep, Sooners were already on the field, the short horns came out and ran right down the middle of the field. Sooners came out to the hash marks and started jawing them up, ref's and coachs were pushing the Sooners back to keep anything from starting. I dont think the horns were ready for that. They were just running on the field like they owned it and bunch of guard dogs came to the fence. Made the horns head back to their side of the field.

okienole3
10/10/2011, 09:09 AM
Yep, Sooners were already on the field, the short horns came out and ran right down the middle of the field. Sooners came out to the hash marks and started jawing them up, ref's and coachs were pushing the Sooners back to keep anything from starting. I dont think the horns were ready for that. They were just running on the field like they owned it and bunch of guard dogs came to the fence. Made the horns head back to their side of the field.

Love it.

westbrooke
10/10/2011, 10:24 AM

Yeah, that was my take, too. I was worried about a fight breaking out, but I think it all had the intended effect: Texas was clearly unsettled by it. They realized that we weren't just another football team, we were ready to take scalps. And we did. :)