PDA

View Full Version : Very motivational mistake by Herbstret?

Jdog
10/9/2011, 10:14 PM
With 6:48 to go in the second quarter Did anyone else hear Herbie say, when diagraming a play: "Box comes in here" (short pause) Travis Lewis come in here.

SoonerofAlabama
10/9/2011, 10:15 PM
I heard it.

JiminyChristmas
10/9/2011, 10:17 PM
Yep, he said it.

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2011, 10:18 PM
Motivational or mooving?

Jdog
10/9/2011, 10:21 PM
Thought it was pretty cool!

Ground_Attack
10/9/2011, 10:23 PM
Motivational or mooving?

mooving? Bevo joke?

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2011, 10:26 PM
mooving? Bevo joke?
lol, Freudian typo.

nighttrain12
10/9/2011, 10:39 PM
I haven't taken him seriously since he insisted a few years back that Les Miles was taking the Michigan job. How'd that scoop turn out for ya Herbie?

PDXsooner
10/9/2011, 11:27 PM
I haven't taken him seriously since he insisted a few years back that Les Miles was taking the Michigan job. How'd that scoop turn out for ya Herbie?

So he was wrong on a prediction and forever you refuse to take him seriously? For real? I'm honestly curious if you're that hard core.

Iam4OUru
10/9/2011, 11:41 PM

Wow! Let it geaux, bro.

I, too, heard the reference to #12.

Vegas Sooner
10/9/2011, 11:52 PM

...not knocking you, but to be fair he apologized and took blame on air. That is a lot better than most "journalists" do(like Erin Andrews doesn't read from a sheet).

StoopTroup
10/10/2011, 12:04 AM
I Herb caught a lot of guff about being an OU Homer and he let it get to him a few years ago and now he works hard trying to stay neutral when it comes to us. I think he has to force himself to do it and it comes off as fake and unnatural. He knows we are good but look where he works. He has no choice as it's a dream job. Who wouldn't like having a gig like he's got. I like his Dove Commercials where he never thought he'd get the job.

I guess until he's got Lou Holtz respect he'll have to stay neutral....by the time he gets that kind of respect...I'll probably be dead and buried though. :D

Okie35
10/10/2011, 12:10 AM
He put us at 1 on his top ten list.

StoopTroup
10/10/2011, 12:14 AM
He put us at 1 on his top ten list.

Kind of hard not to.

King Barry's Back
10/10/2011, 12:46 AM
I heard him say "Box." Not sure how to take it. Was that a tribute to Box? What?

Herb's always been one of my favorite sports talking heads. I'm not sure why, I just always enjoyed listening to him. Part of it I think is he really seems to be having fun, and the enthusiasm seems to come through.

Sure, he's been wrong on predictions, but not nearly as many I have.

Some people on here are insanely obsessed with what on-air-types say.

They're really only there for a little entertainment.

swardboy
10/10/2011, 05:24 AM
Thank you very much Jdog....I thought I was just hearing things when I too heard him say "Box." Eerie feeling.

I think Herbie is one of a very handful of media types that strive for objectivity and don't fall for the flavor of the day. I enjoy him.

oumartin
10/10/2011, 06:15 AM
Yep, Herbie is my favorite even if he is a Buckeye.

budbarrybob
10/10/2011, 06:18 AM
He's Ok in my book. See it's right here... in my book.

badger
10/10/2011, 08:35 AM

I think what happened with that was he jumped the gun and LSU forced Lester's hand as a result.

Herbie: Hey hey hey, ESPN viewers including LSU administrators! Les Miles is going to Michigan even though he's coaching the SEC championship tonight! What a scoop!
LSU admin: That son of a...
Miles: Ummm... why the emergency meeting, guys? We've got a big game tonight...
LSU admin: This is a contract extension for LSU that you will sign right now and publicly state that you sign now.
Miles: Huh? Why? Shouldn't I be concentrating on the game...
LSU admin: Sign it now, or you're not coaching LSU in the SEC championship tonight or the bowl game. You're done if you don't sign, y'hear?

If I had to imagine the scenario that played out after Herbie's premature announcement, I'd imagine it going about like that. :)

rekamrettuB
10/10/2011, 08:37 AM
I heard it. Had to rewind to make sure he didn't say Wort.

delhalew
10/10/2011, 08:39 AM
I like Herbie. He is more knowledgeable than most. I imagine he was embarrassed to have said Box, but with the role his memory is playing in our season, it's hard to blame him.

Sooner_Tuf
10/10/2011, 10:21 AM
What number was Travis wearing yesterday? I think that might have been part of the error.

EatLeadCommie
10/10/2011, 10:31 AM
Well Travis was wearing #12...he probably just wasn't thinking.

Herbie was the only tolerable announcer of the game. Musburger is so far past his prime it's ridiculous. It's like Keith Jackson in his later years, only Musburger was never as good as Jackson.

Jacie
10/10/2011, 10:35 AM
When it comes to predictions, I have long maintained that someone could make a pretty good living betting opposite of my picks. You know, it is just as difficult to pick 70% wrong as it is to pick 70% right.

IronHorseSooner
10/10/2011, 11:41 AM
Thank you very much Jdog....I thought I was just hearing things when I too heard him say "Box." Eerie feeling.

I think Herbie is one of a very handful of media types that strive for objectivity and don't fall for the flavor of the day. I enjoy him.

Unlike that overrated arseclown Forde!

cleller
10/10/2011, 01:15 PM
For me Herbie is one of those guys you can't help but like. He doesn't make the little snide remarks, doesn't try to stir the pot, on and on. He plays it down the middle as much as he can. Plus, he seems trustworthy. How often do you see that these days?

King Barry's Back
10/10/2011, 01:25 PM
For me Herbie is one of those guys you can't help but like. He doesn't make the little snide remarks, doesn't try to stir the pot, on and on. He plays it down the middle as much as he can. Plus, he seems trustworthy. How often do you see that these days?

My thoughts, exactly.

Landthief 1972
10/10/2011, 03:02 PM
I'd say it's a pretty benign mistake. Travis was wearing Box's number, after all. At least he didn't call the trophy the "Golden Sombrero" like Munchburger.

SoonerMom2
10/10/2011, 04:00 PM
He also said Stoops to OSU leading up to the Orange Bowl in 2000 -- that didn't happen either. At least he is pleasant to watch and listen -- Craig James I cannot stand even a little.

oudavid1
10/10/2011, 06:23 PM
Box and the number 12 are a symbol of our program/mission this year. Its on everyones mind. Herbie made a "mistake", first game was really confusing. I dont think its a big deal or a deal at all.

TahoeSOONER
10/10/2011, 06:27 PM
I heard Herbie was running with four police
to get to the booth during the anthem. Cmon man! Show some respect!

birddog
10/10/2011, 06:43 PM
dude, zanax was made for fellers like you. not a life-altering moment on the slip-up by herbie.

and why would you take the gameday crew seriously? they're talking up the games that we wait a LONG time to see.

BOOMER SOONER!