PDA

View Full Version : Is Landry coming back...

CBUS_SOONER
10/9/2011, 06:36 PM
...next year? I know it has been discussed a lot. Do you think he is? Luck will go before him in the draft... Would he be the second qb taken? If he comes back, we may be better next yr!!!! Discuss

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2011, 07:04 PM
It depends.

Okla-homey
10/9/2011, 07:24 PM
If Landry thinks he can ink an NFL contract, he'd be a fool to stay in school next year. That kind of life-changing money is only a college injury away from flying right out the window.

cccasooner2
10/9/2011, 07:41 PM
Here's to hoping he comes back for #9. :)

Breadburner
10/9/2011, 07:45 PM
He either will or he wont....

Soonermagik
10/9/2011, 07:59 PM
I've said this before, but he's not coming back. He has expressed interest in leaving and has said he will not come back. I know a lot of guys around the program, but I'm not getting into all that. Plus, it makes sense for him to leave from a lifestyle perspective i.e. marriage. I think the only way he comes back is if he has a terrible injury and slides way down due to the injury.

I hope Blake Bell or Drew Allen are ready to step up next season!!

Widescreen
10/9/2011, 08:02 PM
He should go. I'd respect his decision if he decides to come back for whatever reason. But if he's the #2 QB in the draft, you've gotta take it.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/9/2011, 08:16 PM
From what little I know, I don't think he'll be back myself

nighttrain12
10/9/2011, 09:14 PM
Whitney will demand he go pro early.

OhU1
10/9/2011, 09:21 PM
When Landry was a Freshman I said at least we'll have him for 4 years. Never did I imagine he would be a pro prospect at that point. I'd love to have him back, but I want what's best for him. The awesome thing about our program is we have developed young players who were not highly regarded and turned them into players who are good enough to leave early. Who though Bradford would be a top pick when he started?

dennis580
10/9/2011, 09:22 PM
I think he is close to a lock to come back. He is engaged to Whitney Hand who is a OU womens basketball player. They are both Jrs, and she has already said wants to finish her career. Also the NFL is not really that important to Landry as he wants to be a minister some day. From everything I can tell he is close to a lock to finish out his career at OU.

Sooner70
10/9/2011, 09:22 PM
I thought he was going into the ministry. Maybe after pro ball?

dennis580
10/9/2011, 09:25 PM
If Landry thinks he can ink an NFL contract, he'd be a fool to stay in school next year. That kind of life-changing money is only a college injury away from flying right out the window.

And yet lots of college QBs choose to come back. See Andrew Luck. Everybody thought for SURE that Luck would leave last year yet he chose to stay even though his coach left.

King Barry's Back
10/9/2011, 09:26 PM

He can insure himself against injury. The key to leaving early is where you think you'll be drafted. The difference between a few spots higher/lower is huge money.

dennis580
10/9/2011, 09:27 PM
When your a college QB who loves college football, and is at a big time program the desire to come back is extremely strong. Though winning a National Championship can certainly lessen that desire a lot.

Still even if Landry wins a NC I think he comes back for the reasons stated in the above post.

JLEW1818
10/9/2011, 09:48 PM
FIRE VENABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nighttrain12
10/9/2011, 10:21 PM
When your a college QB who loves college football, and is at a big time program the desire to come back is extremely strong. Though winning a National Championship can certainly lessen that desire a lot.

Still even if Landry wins a NC I think he comes back for the reasons stated in the above post.

<cough> Sam <cough> Bradford <cough>

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 10:30 PM
If you would have asked me before the season, I would have said absolutely! After watching him in the past 5 games, I'm not so sure now.

I don't have a Mel Kiper Jr. ESPN Insider double secret code ring, so I don't know where Kiper has him, but I know he's moved up since the start of the season.

I heard (can't remember where) a couple of weeks ago that he would be the 4th or 5th QB taken if the draft were today. Personally, I can't see 3 or 4 QBs that are better. I've seen Luck play three times this year, and the guy is, without question, the best QB in the country. But, I think Landry is right behind him.

In addition, he has to think about where he might go. Right now, looks like Miami is leading the "Lose for Luck" sweepstakes...so, who knows where he would go.

StoopTroup
10/9/2011, 10:36 PM
Nobody but he and Mrs Jones really knows but I'd imagine that they would have a good long talk with Mr. and Mrs. Heupel and Mr. and Mrs. Stoops and then make their decision. Right now I think he's pouring his heart and soul into being the best QB in OU History and helping lead The Sooners to #8 and #2 National Championship for Bob and the the Coaching Staff and I'd have to say he'd like to win the Heisman and the National Championship for Josh. I think Josh really would get a kick out of that as the guy that has helped OU become QBU in the NCAA.

SoonerofAlabama
10/9/2011, 10:40 PM
Nobody but he and Mrs Jones really knows but I'd imagine that they would have a good long talk with Mr. and Mrs. Heupel and Mr. and Mrs. Stoops and then make their decision. Right now I think he's pouring his heart and soul into being the best QB in OU History and helping lead The Sooners to #8 and #2 National Championship for Bob and the the Coaching Staff and I'd have to say he'd like to win the Heisman and the National Championship for Josh. I think Josh really would get a kick out of that as the guy that has helped OU become QBU in the NCAA.

Haven't you heard? Mizzou is QB University. duh

;)

Pricetag
10/9/2011, 10:54 PM
When Landry was a Freshman I said at least we'll have him for 4 years. Never did I imagine he would be a pro prospect at that point.
Heh, I thought the same thing with Sammy after Bomar flamed out and Paul graduated. "We'll roll for four years with our three-star Oklahoma guy." Seems like we shouldn't be counting on more than three years anymore.

AlboSooner
10/9/2011, 10:58 PM
He either will or he wont....

where do i send my 9.99

StoopTroup
10/9/2011, 11:08 PM
Haven't you heard? Mizzou is QB University. duh

;)

That pile of Heisman trophies they have is impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEW8_KVhDFE

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/9/2011, 11:24 PM
IIn addition, he has to think about where he might go. Right now, looks like Miami is leading the "Lose for Luck" sweepstakes...so, who knows where he would go.

Here in SD it's called the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes.

NMSooner'80
10/10/2011, 01:22 PM
I don't claim to have any inside information, being out here in New Mexico. But I think it'll all come down to how the season plays out between now and Dec. 4. I also hope that more "NFL gurus" say Landry wouldn't go until the second round of next spring's draft. Some guy writing for The Sporting News said just that (2nd round).

FWIW, if he does come back, next year's offense could even top this year's (throwing to Stills, Reynolds, Haywood, etc., and handing off to Whaley, B. Williams, Clay and Finch; and most of the line back also).

badger
10/10/2011, 01:27 PM
LJ needs to show more consistency to be a first round quarterback. Some weeks you can scream "Stop effing up!" at the TV, some weeks you are hugging him tightly, begging him to stay eligible for another 20 years (if Jason got six, Landry can get 20, right?)

He was getting major kudos from the talking heads after Saturday's performance... but about all that will do is get Heisman votes. NFL scouts aren't ever fooled by Mel Kiper and his colleagues.

rock on sooner
10/10/2011, 01:42 PM
Well, let's sum this up...there's Miss Whitney, also a junior, a whole posse of top notch receivers (plus the 2012 class), a pretty
solid returning O line, Whaley, Clay, Finch & company, a current rating of the #2 QB for the draft, the rest of 2011 to go and a
legit shot at a NC this year and a strong possibility of a repeat in 2012, still needs some polishing as a QB, doesn't seem to be
[B]really[B]fired up about the NFL and appears to be a level headed young man. I'm guessing here, really likes college. Throw
all that into a pot, stir vigorously and the answer will appear next spring!

Eielson
10/11/2011, 01:12 AM
You really have to fear an injury...wouldn't want to end up like that Sam Bradford guy.

En_Fuego
10/11/2011, 01:16 AM
I would Vbet that he Vstays

starclassic tama
10/11/2011, 01:45 AM
You really have to fear an injury...wouldn't want to end up like that Sam Bradford guy.
haha yeah... i mean bradford was destined for great things until that shoulder injury just ruined his career. i really wish we had modern medicine and science to heal things like that...

Breadburner
10/11/2011, 07:18 AM
where do i send my 9.99

:smile:

WE ARE dirtburglars
10/11/2011, 07:52 AM
I think theres no way he leaves. Whitney Hand has already said she will be back for her senior season and I just cant see him leaving her for the NFL. Not to mention hes made it very clear that his future will not be in the NFL, but joining the ministry. I just get the feeling the NFL isnt of much interest to him.

gwydion
10/11/2011, 09:04 AM
You can do a lot of good work when you bank a multi-million dollar contract. If he's projected high, he will go.

oumikey
10/11/2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah coming back really hurt Sam. Still was first pick in the draft.

Sam would have come back again except he had the opportunity to get the last mega contract. The difference between his and Cam Newton's is a bunch. Unless Landry projects to be a top 10-15 guy, he should come back and get stronger.

sperry
10/11/2011, 01:13 PM
He's the 2nd best QB eligible for the draft. There are more than two atrocious teams that need QBs (Miami, KC, Seattle, Denver off the top of my head). Landry will be a top 5 pick. He will leave.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2011, 01:17 PM
I think the only 2 teams on that list to go QB early would be Seattle or Miami..

Lott's Bandana
10/11/2011, 01:18 PM
I would Vbet that he Vstays

I would too. Not a lock, but good odds.

Landry is a different kind of dude. It wouldn't surprise me a bit that he stays for another year because he is enjoying the experience.

If he does, he numbers when he's through would be mountainous.

sperry
10/11/2011, 10:57 PM
I think the only 2 teams on that list to go QB early would be Seattle or Miami..

Both of them absolutely have to get a QB though. Denver will depend on Tebow. If he shows some promise, they'll stick with him. If he flops, they'll likely go QB.

Easting
10/11/2011, 11:05 PM
Dean says the chances are 50/50.

sooner KB
10/11/2011, 11:16 PM
hes made it very clear that his future will not be in the NFL

Do you have a link? Kind of an outlandish thing to just pull out of the air, don't you think?

swardboy
10/12/2011, 07:00 AM
He'd lose Broyles, but my oh my, the offense he'd still have to work with, plus defense.

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 09:16 AM
I say no way.

cherokeebrewer
10/12/2011, 09:31 AM
I say no way.
And I say way...

NMSooner'80
10/12/2011, 10:15 AM
OU's Landry Jones isn't worried about NFL Draft right now
Quarterback staying focused on Sooners' season right now.

By Travis Haney, Staff Writer, [email protected] Oklahoman
Published: October 11, 2011

NORMAN — Oklahoma fans can relax in knowing the NFL is not on their quarterback's mind — at least not yet.

With lowly Kansas on deck, Landry Jones is immersed in a 5-0 season for the No. 3 Sooners. The junior is not yet concerned about the April draft, should he choose to even enter it.

“We'll wait until after the season to see where I'm at,” Jones said Tuesday. “I haven't made a … I haven't thought about that much yet.”

Some scouting services have Jones projected as high as a top-five pick. He has been consistently rated as the No. 2 quarterback prospect in the class. Jones is behind only Stanford's Andrew Luck, who is considered a once-in-a-generation talent.

Would there be a certain round or ceiling — top 10 or top five — that would influence Jones' thinking, one way or another?

“I haven't really put much thought into it, to be honest with you,” he said. “I really wouldn't know until I get in that situation or really understand what anyone's basing that on or against.

“It'll be a big decision. I'll definitely have to think about it, but I just have to see how it is after the season, what kind of position I'm in.”

Jones is the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback of the Week after throwing for 367 yards and three touchdowns in a rout of Texas. He had 305 of those yards and all three touchdowns in the first half.

Jones has 1,814 yards, 13 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 69.3 completion percentage — for a QB rating of 159.6 — in the first five games.

Just because he's not yet thinking about the NFL doesn't mean he isn't interested in that as a career choice.

“It's definitely exciting,” he said. “You get to do this as your job. I'd rather do that than anything else. That's what I'm working toward. But right now, my mind's not on that. I'm trying to win games around this place. If the opportunity comes, that's great.”

One additional factor is fiancee Whitney Hand. Hand is a redshirt junior guard for the OU women's hoops team, meaning she is eligible to return for a fifth season in 2012-13.

“I definitely would have to think about that, for sure, and talk to her about it,” Jones said, beginning to smile. “I mean, I did propose to her. I kind of have to include her, you know?”

Sooners coach Bob Stoops said he doesn't have specific advice for Jones — or any other player — about whether to stay or leave. He is more into informing players about the pros and cons of leaving school for the NFL.

“I want him to really make an educated (decision) and have a full understanding of all it entails,” Stoops said. “For instance, look at the history of the draft and how many guys went out as quarterbacks that had another year, compared to the guys who didn't.

“Who knows this system and game better than Archie Manning? His two sons were pretty special. They didn't go out early. It's worked out pretty good for them. Seems to have worked out pretty good for Sam (Bradford).”

Stoops said OU sometimes even brings in agents to speak with players about what to expect. Jones said he had not personally participated in that consultation.

“We orchestrate that and do it through our office, so it's done properly — as opposed to behind the door somewhere,” Stoops said. “It's really just about being smart about it.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ous-landry-jones-isnt-worried-about-nfl-draft-right-now/article/3612542#ixzz1aZxBgSuh

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 11:30 AM
And I say way...

vBookie long term bet??

cherokeebrewer
10/12/2011, 01:28 PM
vBookie long term bet??
Do I get a big prize if I win or is that 'play money'?

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 07:51 PM
Do I get a big prize if I win or is that 'play money'?

just play money :(

I dont have any big prizes, except in my pants :D

WE ARE dirtburglars
10/12/2011, 08:20 PM
Do you have a link? Kind of an outlandish thing to just pull out of the air, don't you think?

No, theres nothing outlandish at all about that statement, and I didnt "pull it out of the air." He has stated that he wants to run his own ministry someday and that that is where his future is at. I have no links but if youve been following OU football for the last 3 or so years, you shouldnt need one to confirm that.

That isnt to say that he wont play in the NFL, its that it isnt his top priority. Meaning with everything else going on in his personal life (getting engaged and her staying at OU for another year), I can easily see him staying for his last year of eligibility.

VA Sooner
10/12/2011, 08:22 PM
He should go. He's ready... if he gets up to the title game and wins it.

I'm hoping that our backups are ready to get some game time in this season to help with the transition next year.