PDA

View Full Version : 5 games in, what do we know?

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 04:32 PM
I know we are a very good team. I think I know that we are the best team in the Big XII. I'm starting to think I know that we can win it all.

The problem?

We still haven't played a really good team. Did our victory over FSU change their season, or are they just not the team we thought they were? Texas is better than last year, but they still suck pretty badly. Missouri (a team I thought was going to surprise the rest of the conference) apparently is just another Missouri middle-of-the-pack team.

KU isn't going to tell us much either. And, I'm starting to think KSU might be deserving of the hype.

SoonerofAlabama
10/9/2011, 04:43 PM
The sharks are really starting to do work.

Iam4OUru
10/9/2011, 04:44 PM
I'll agree that we're good but haven't really played anybody.

SoonerKnight
10/9/2011, 04:53 PM
I disagree. FSU had nine players out after we slammed them. We seen our defense play lights out in that game. they played a good FSU team. Texas they have played no body and maybe that is why we thrashed them not sure yet. KSU we have not played but they beat Missouri and I believe that Missouri was/is a decent team with no heart after a tough loss and a week off. They will get better! LSU played Oregon and thrashed them. Oregon is in the Pac-12 for crying out loud! Come on!

I believe that this team has shown toughness and team work unlike any team other than the 2000 team. Our QB can make a bone head mistake shrug it off and then go 80 yards down the field and get a TD!! Against, * he was flawless. No, the team that has not played anyone is OSU! They beat a A&M team barely after being down big. KSU may have a decent team time will tell but either way we keep beating everyone that we have played including two top 10 teams. The fact that they are no longer in the top 10 might be because they played us!

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 05:05 PM
I disagree. FSU had nine players out after we slammed them. We seen our defense play lights out in that game. they played a good FSU team. Texas they have played no body and maybe that is why we thrashed them not sure yet. KSU we have not played but they beat Missouri and I believe that Missouri was/is a decent team with no heart after a tough loss and a week off. They will get better! LSU played Oregon and thrashed them. Oregon is in the Pac-12 for crying out loud! Come on!

I believe that this team has shown toughness and team work unlike any team other than the 2000 team. Our QB can make a bone head mistake shrug it off and then go 80 yards down the field and get a TD!! Against, * he was flawless. No, the team that has not played anyone is OSU! They beat a A&M team barely after being down big. KSU may have a decent team time will tell but either way we keep beating everyone that we have played including two top 10 teams. The fact that they are no longer in the top 10 might be because they played us!

After the RRR, I was able to watch the remainder of the FSU/WF game. They definitely looked like a completely different team than the one we played. Granted, Wake Forrest is better then they have been in the past, FSU just looked bad. Of all the teams we've played, I still think FSU is the best, but we have yet to play a really good team.

I should be clear and say that I happen to think we are great this year. I also agree with your assessment that this team is the best since the 2000 team. My point was more that we still haven't had a huge test. It'll come (and it may be KSU).

As for OSU, I have to give them some credit. Beating A&M at Kyle is tough. Scoring 70 points on any team that is a member of a major conference is tough. That doesn't mean they are great, but I think they are good. I also think they won't be undefeated when we go to Stillwater.

hawaii 5-0
10/9/2011, 05:07 PM
We also beat Florida State at their place, a very hostile environment, arguably more hostile that Stoolwater. At least louder. That tomahawk chop is incessant.

The backup receivers are coming together.

The have a placekicker that can kick more than 30 yards.

The Defense is still hungry and mean. Tony Jefferson is growing up before our eyes.

Josh Heupel isn't too predictable like Wilson was.

Lookin' good after 5 games.

5-0

East Coast Bias
10/9/2011, 05:11 PM
I think what we know is that our defense has an identity. They are getting known for bringing pressure to the QB and for making opposing players pay for anything they get over the middle. Shutting down stuff over the middle is a new development and a very positive one. I think the emergence of Jaz on offense is another positive development. What a great game he had against Texas and he should get some credit for helping spread the field to open up things for Stills and Broyles......

hawaii 5-0
10/9/2011, 05:14 PM
I think what we know is that our defense has an identity. They are getting known for bringing pressure to the QB and for making opposing players pay for anything they get over the middle. Shutting down stuff over the middle is a new development and a very positive one. I think the emergence of Jaz on offense is another positive development. What a great game he had against Texas and he should get some credit for helping spread the field to open up things for Stills and Broyles......

Goood point about improving coverage over the middle. That was a weakness for a few years that other teams took advantage of.
It helps to have so many batted balls.

5-0

oumartin
10/9/2011, 05:16 PM
Lets see. that FSU game was a hard hitting game between two teams that very good! FSU had that game circled. We beat them up physically and they haven't recovered. They lost and it took alot outta them. the very next week they gave an undefeated clemson all they wanted at Clemson. Back to back loses makes it a bit more demoralizing.

OU was just flat against Mizzou. Mizzou is an average football team with a mobile qb(the type that gives OU fits) and it almost bit em. If there was a big 12 champ. game and Mizzou represented the North and OU the south it would be a three touchdown game.

Is OU the best team in the country? Who knows. I think on any given day any of the top 7 (OSU included) could beat any of the other top 7 teams.

Landry Jones, as stated above, has something that not many qbs have. A short memory and the ability to make the plays when the chips are down.

Willie Martinez brought an attitude to the defense.. Those dbacks are opportunistic and aren't afraid to blow somebody up. Been long time since I've seen the defensive backfield this way.

Iam4OUru
10/9/2011, 05:19 PM
While I agree that FSU losing to OU and Clemson is nothing close to a disgrace....losing to a basketball school is.

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 05:25 PM
Lets see. that FSU game was a hard hitting game between two teams that very good! FSU had that game circled. We beat them up physically and they haven't recovered. They lost and it took alot outta them. the very next week they gave an undefeated clemson all they wanted at Clemson. Back to back loses makes it a bit more demoralizing.

OU was just flat against Mizzou. Mizzou is an average football team with a mobile qb(the type that gives OU fits) and it almost bit em. If there was a big 12 champ. game and Mizzou represented the North and OU the south it would be a three touchdown game.

Is OU the best team in the country? Who knows. I think on any given day any of the top 7 (OSU included) could beat any of the other top 7 teams.

Landry Jones, as stated above, has something that not many qbs have. A short memory and the ability to make the plays when the chips are down.

Willie Martinez brought an attitude to the defense.. Those dbacks are opportunistic and aren't afraid to blow somebody up. Been long time since I've seen the defensive backfield this way.

Good points. I suppose I'd feel like I know more about our team if FSU had rebounded and beaten Clemson and WF. Anyone that watched that game could see that FSU brought everything they had that game (much unlike what I saw yesterday from FSU).

Missouri is the one that fooled me. Now, I'm thinking WE made that game close, Missouri did just enough to be there. It was the game following a very physical and emotional game (FSU), and I think we were just flat.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the top 7 teams being able to beat each other on any given day though. There is a noticeable drop-off after the top 5. But, yeah, I think the "any given day" rule could be applied to those teams.

SoonerMom2
10/9/2011, 05:47 PM
FSU still doesn't have all their players that were hurt in our game back at full strength!

Okie35
10/9/2011, 06:24 PM
FSU still doesn't have all their players that were hurt in our game back at full strength!

Yup, they're still banged up.

CBUS_SOONER
10/9/2011, 06:33 PM
I know we are getting better...

Sabanball
10/9/2011, 07:51 PM
That K-State is 146-5 since 1990 when they lead at the half.:encouragement:

Soonermagik
10/9/2011, 08:02 PM
That this is a solid football team with few weaknesses. If they can stay healthy they have a real shot at finally grabbing #8.

Sooner91ATL
10/9/2011, 08:04 PM
The good:

Landry, Broyles, Stills, Dom, right side of OL
Defense when playing inspired a la FSU and *
Scheme
Play calling in general
Alexander
Toby Rowland
Big play explosive offense

The Bad:
Power run game when needed
Red zone TDs
Defense when uninspired a la Mizzou

The ugly:
Big plays surrendered
Kicking game in - still
running off tackle inside 5 yard line repeatedly -again

Sooner5030
10/9/2011, 08:09 PM
We will be as good as we allow ourselves to be.

UT is as good or better than FSU.

The difference between the scores of FSU vs. UT is our game plan.

Our offense works best when we attack deep (+15 yards) at least once every 3 plays. Otherwise teams only have to defend 10 yards from the LOS. Every big game we have lost it appears we went into conservative mode (fetal position) and limited ourselves. The only thing we have to do is be just as aggressive against team X as we were against UT.

Play to score/win.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2011, 08:28 PM
I think FSU made a mistake staying with Trickett at Wake. They had no choice at Clemson and that was a big problem since Manuel is the bulk of their running game. Manuel did stage a comeback against Wake, but it was too late. But no, we have not played any real good teams. Not many huge match-ups have been played. LSU/Oregon and OSU/aTm are the biggest so far. Then Bama/Arkie and then OU/FSU. I wouldn't be shocked if the horns end up being our hardest game so far looking back at it. We were just very well prepared and made them look bad.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2011, 08:32 PM
One other thing we know is the O'hara can't tackle. Most returners just juke the kicker and run by them. Whittaker just ran straight and acted like O'hara wasn't there - and he was right. I had to laugh at that one.

SoonerStud615
10/9/2011, 09:12 PM
The A&M, KState and Okie Lite games will tell us a lot. Those, with FSU and UTerus may not be monumental challenges, but will sharpen our team and prepare us for the MNC

mOUse
10/9/2011, 09:27 PM
We now know that the OU Defense will lay the wood on ya and is one of 3 seriously good defenses this year...and pollsters as usual have no idea what they are talking about. They rank based on the past and the name of the school...not the reality, because they don't know a teams identity until a few games are under their belt. We also know that Mack can recruit!... But 5 star players arent all thats needed to make annual championship calibur teams. I know we likely have the best WR corp that we've seen at OU. I think we see a QB who is ready to be a champion.
We know grilled bevo burgers with fries are an american tradition.

Blue
10/9/2011, 09:38 PM
That a game between OU and Bama would be awesome.

BigTip
10/9/2011, 09:39 PM
I like Landry.
I was impressed this week with his presence. He just looked more comfortable than ever. He was able to redirect passes from covered receivers. The pump fakes. The footwork.
Just looking really really sharp.

King Barry's Back
10/9/2011, 09:42 PM
One other thing we know is the O'hara can't tackle. Most returners just juke the kicker and run by them. Whittaker just ran straight and acted like O'hara wasn't there - and he was right. I had to laugh at that one.

Good observation. All the online highlight reels, when calling the KO return, say something like "Only one man to beat... He breaks the tackle!"

And I'm like "That's only the kicker."

Iam4OUru
10/9/2011, 09:47 PM
Good observation. All the online highlight reels, when calling the KO return, say something like "Only one man to beat... He breaks the tackle!"

And I'm like "That's only the kicker."

Yeah, when you hear "only one man to beat" you just hope your team is the one with the ball.

WileyCoyote
10/10/2011, 08:36 AM
I know we are a very good team. I think I know that we are the best team in the Big XII. I'm starting to think I know that we can win it all.

The problem?

We still haven't played a really good team. Did our victory over FSU change their season, or are they just not the team we thought they were? Texas is better than last year, but they still suck pretty badly. Missouri (a team I thought was going to surprise the rest of the conference) apparently is just another Missouri middle-of-the-pack team.

KU isn't going to tell us much either. And, I'm starting to think KSU might be deserving of the hype.

Agreed...... We have a VERY GOOD team at this stage of the season. It can be a GREAT team if: We improve the kicking game, stay healthy and avoid any AMBUSH games. Take nothing for granted. We are the ones with the BULLSEYE on our back. DOMINATE, DOMINATE.