PDA

View Full Version : Stoops still has his starters in...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/9/2011, 12:28 AM
At some point, someone will realize the reason he does this. I'm not saying you do it every game with every player, but pulling starters out several consecutive games in a row isn't smart. This isn't the pros where conditioning is a way of life. College kids get less coach-present practice in a year then the pros get in a month. So at some point, they are going to be in a close game and they are going to need that conditioning that comes from playing hard for 4 quarters. We've already seen how pulling starters in blowouts can kill you at the end of the season (see 2003).

Okie35
10/9/2011, 12:31 AM
I knew all this already but the shorthorns are so delusional that they have no idea.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/9/2011, 12:33 AM
I knew all this already but the shorthorns are so delusional that they have no idea.

I was more talking about the announcers week in and week out.

sooner59
10/9/2011, 12:38 AM
If you have to pick a game to leave the starters in for a long time....this is it.

kevpks
10/9/2011, 12:41 AM
From what I saw we do pull starters at certain positions but pulling your whole starting lineup is not a good idea. Besides, they're Texas. If they don't like getting their asses beat they should get better at football.

btb916
10/9/2011, 12:41 AM
It's past midnight, I think it's safe to pull the starters now.

SunnySooner
10/9/2011, 07:53 AM
Zackly, jkm. If we'd pulled starters against TU, Ball State, Misery and tejas, they would be huffin and puffin in the 4th quarter against the next team to play us close. Not what you want, gotta keep em in and let em get used to playing a whole game, week after week. It's a grind, and the teams winning in late November have the players in shape to go the distance. Announcers can kiss my hind quarters, they don't know squat.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2011, 08:10 AM
We rotated in a lot of non starting players for the 4th quarter along with starters. That's the best way to do it, IMO. Platooning in an entire 2nd unit usually just results in sloppy play and not the kind of experience that does much good. We need guys to be able to step in if a starter gets dinged and be effective along with the rest of the regulars - the way Bird had to step in for Wort. Conditioning is a factor as well. And as mentioned in another thread, we are still a pretty young team and we are still improving with more live action reps.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/9/2011, 01:11 PM
When we play Kansas, can our starters just run wind sprints the whole game while we just play the backups ;)

Jacie
10/9/2011, 01:37 PM
Would like to see Allen lead the offense to a touchdown next week.

EatLeadCommie
10/9/2011, 02:01 PM
We didn't lose those games in 2003 due to poor conditioning.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/9/2011, 02:25 PM
Plus we rotate some many guys in and out at some positions. Pusburger saying McFarland in on that stop and he's a starter was bs! Who cares what Stoops does it's his football team!!

Dio
10/9/2011, 02:29 PM
More importantly- our defense just scored on * again.

MyT Oklahoma
10/9/2011, 02:39 PM
Bob knows best. Just hang on for the ride.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/9/2011, 02:45 PM
We didn't lose those games in 2003 due to poor conditioning.

Our D was sucking wind against kstate chasing darren sproles. This doesn't even get into the fact that a lot of people consider toughness to be a factor of conditioning. Being able to play at your best when the game isn't competitive is something you have to learn.

badger
10/9/2011, 02:59 PM
I know there's some whorns that are extremely upset about losing by such a margin (for full details, see the meltdown thread I've been updating these past few days... then please participate in vBookie too, hehe), but alas, you'd think their program would be to a point where they wouldn't have to worry about blowouts regardless of whether the opponent's starters are in or not.

I fully expect OSU to hit them even worse next week now that UT's are all deflated and lowered their expectations to "just get to a bowl" now. And yeah, we're gonna hit KU badly too. Mangino and Stoops are friends and colleagues, and KU did the big guy wrong with the way they let him go.

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't have minded if we left them in the entire game...but that's more because I hate texas.

I also noticed that on defense, Stoops did a good job of leaving some of the starters in (that maybe haven't played as well as they expect). I'm sure Travis Lewis was begging to get back in the game when texas got their points, but with Wort down, we (at the very least) have to think about backups getting some game reps.

I sure hope Williams learned how important it is to hang on to the football. He looks special, but it won't matter if he fumbles.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2011, 03:47 PM
FIRE BRIAN BRITT

King Barry's Back
10/9/2011, 03:48 PM
And yeah, we're gonna hit KU badly too. Mangino and Stoops are friends and colleagues, and KU did the big guy wrong with the way they let him go.

Badj, I sure hope you're right. I've always hated KU with a blinding rage (goes back to the old Big 8 basketball tourney days), but I love Mark Mangino. I just thought he was a good coach and a great guy, one of the nicer guys I have met.

You can imagine the dilemma I was in having to cheer for the Jayhawks for the benefit of Coach Mangino.

Kind of ironic, then, the way they handled Mangino made me hate them even worse.

King Barry's Back
10/9/2011, 03:50 PM
Badj, I sure hope you're right. I've always hated KU with a blinding rage (goes back to the old Big 8 basketball tourney days), but I love Mark Mangino. I just thought he was a good coach and a great guy, one of the nicer guys I have met.

You can imagine the dilemma I was in having to cheer for the Jayhawks for the benefit of Coach Mangino.

Kind of ironic, then, the way they handled Mangino made me hate them even worse.

And don't get me started on Tech and the Pirate. Grrr.

landrun
10/9/2011, 04:00 PM
If you have to pick a game to leave the starters in for a long time....this is it.

Got that right! :courage: