PDA

View Full Version : Am I one of the only ones who thinks TLN is not a big deal?

Blue
10/8/2011, 11:00 PM
I get the money aspect and all but as far as fielding a team, who cares? They can still only sign so many players. And in 10 years the way we're advancing every college will have a channel on sattelite.

I'd be more scared if Texas hired a real coaching staff.

Dio
10/8/2011, 11:11 PM
Being able to show high school games could have been a recruiting advantage, but that's been nipped in the bud. As long as they dont put it on my cable I don't give a crap.

Soonerfan88
10/9/2011, 12:21 AM
Yep, the HS content was my biggest issue.

However, now I'm getting very annoyed about all the whorn pimping going on with ESPN. I can't wait until Comcast/Versus/NBC get their network going in January. Maybe some real competition will finally get those blowhards back to reporting instead of creating news.

ouflak
10/9/2011, 07:23 AM
I really don't care if they show whatever they like. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing the thing be somewhat successful regionally. Because whatever they can do, we do better. And we know a few things about recruiting in Texas. There's also some pretty good highschool football played in Oklahoma. Likewise as someone has already pointed out, there's only so many scholarships to go around. My one fear is that the LHN is successful enough that we actually give a more modest version a try, and lock ourselves out of a preffereable conference affiliation. Unless we get a billion dollar version of the same deal, that's just not worth it.

Otherwise, I'm kinda taking sit-back-see attitude with it. It's a bit of a risk. I don't mind Texas taking it. I wish though that we were not ourselves in any way tied to its existance (being knocked out of the PAC for example). The LHN's existance/success/failure should have absolutely no effect on our existance, except to help us decide whether to pursue something similar.

101sooner
10/9/2011, 08:03 AM
There is a huge gap between money and good football.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/9/2011, 01:16 PM
Bob was on the sports animal one day when I was driving to work and he was asked if they were scared of all the revenue the LHN would bring to texas. He said something along the lines of texas has always had more money than everyone and it hasn't hurt OU's on field product.

ashley
10/9/2011, 02:00 PM
Who would watch the high school games. They are on now and the ratings are low. Besides, the players and their parents are at the game. I never thought it was such a big deal.

SoonerinSouthlake
10/9/2011, 04:49 PM
To me, There is no way ESPN can avoid the huge conflict of interest their reporters and analysts have. With such a huge financial commitment, ESPN has no choice but to pump whorn up as much as possible.

ESPN is the biggest college football media outlet going....so its going to give whorn more of an unbalanced spotlight than ever no matter how you slice it

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 05:08 PM
I don't think it's as big a deal as it's made out to be, but the fact that ESPN is part of it, and the potential to slant the recruiting playing field toward texas is a big deal.

I continue to think it will not be long lived. ESPN will do whatever they can to salvage the length the contract is for, but in the end, I just see it as a failure.

LiveLaughLove
10/9/2011, 05:22 PM
It is a big deal. Having said that, it could flop and become a non-factor.

If it grows, and it will at least some with espn's pushing it on providers, it will be a big showcase that no other school has. That's a big deal no matter how you slice it.

Yes they can only sign x number of players, but it wouldn't take much to tip the balance. What if AD had signed with them? Travis Lewis?

Most importantly, and the reason I don't want OU to get one, is because it imbalances the conference. Yes we can all get one, but only Texas and maybe OU realistically can do so. That keeps this zombie league with the haves and have nots, and will always keep it unstable vs the other conferences.

I want texas' to fail so we can explore a conference network which should have happened a long time before the lhn.