PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Jones haters?

soonerinabilene
10/8/2011, 03:49 PM
Surely his haters are still here somewhere, right? I mean, obviously we won this game in spite of his horrible decision making and stupid throws right?

Can we please admit the guy is a stud now, and quite possibly could finish his career not just top 5, but actually the best qb we have had?

oumartin
10/8/2011, 03:50 PM
He's no 47 year old Brandon Weeden

soonerinabilene
10/8/2011, 03:53 PM
Well yeah, I said best we've had, not best to ever touch a football in the galaxy.

Miko
10/8/2011, 03:55 PM
I won't say HATER, but I have to admit I was never very fond of Pat Jones.

missann
10/8/2011, 04:07 PM
Surely his haters are still here somewhere, right? I mean, obviously we won this game in spite of his horrible decision making and stupid throws right?

Can we please admit the guy is a stud now, and quite possibly could finish his career not just top 5, but actually the best qb we have had?

Seriously? Landry's not a stud. And what constitutes "the best qb we have had"? Is it passing yards? Not in my book. If he wins 2 MNC's I'll give him that title. But he's not consistent and dominant enough yet.

I'm glad we won. But let's note the D scored over 20 points and the red zone performance is still iffy. I've seen some stud QBs this year, but Landry isn't one (yet). Here's hoping he can convince me.

oumartin
10/8/2011, 04:09 PM
Seriously? Landry's not a stud. And what constitutes "the best qb we have had"? Is it passing yards? Not in my book. If he wins 2 MNC's I'll give him that title. But he's not consistent and dominant enough yet.

I'm glad we won. But let's note the D scored over 20 points and the red zone performance is still iffy. I've seen some stud QBs this year, but Landry isn't one (yet). Here's hoping he can convince me.

and you my friend are the opposite of wise!

btb916
10/8/2011, 04:11 PM

Heh.

The offense was out of sync today in my opinion, despite some big numbers. But Landry is most definitely a stud. Exhibit "A" would be the touchdown drive to close out the first half. Texas had life...and Landry had a big hand in crushing that hope. When the spotlight shines brightest, Landry has been absolutely clutch since the OSU game last year. That to me makes him a stud.

Okie35
10/8/2011, 04:14 PM
Heh.

The offense was out of sync today in my opinion, despite some big numbers. But Landry is most definitely a stud. Exhibit "A" would be the touchdown drive to close out the first half. Texas had life...and Landry had a big hand in crushing that hope. When the spotlight shines brightest, Landry has been absolutely clutch since the OSU game last year. That to me makes him a stud.

I couldn't agree more. He makes great throws too. He makes a lot of NFL back shoulder throws look fairly easy.

hawaii 5-0
10/8/2011, 04:16 PM
I'm a huge fan of Landy freezing the DBs with his pump fakes.

5-0

badger
10/8/2011, 04:17 PM
Jones hater here. Whitney got injured the year landry didnt and i blame landry. Whitney obviously got injured so that landry would stay healthy. A healthy whitney and we win a womens basketball championship. What did landry being healthy get us? Sun bowl :P

missann
10/8/2011, 04:20 PM
Heh.

I hear ya. But see, "Exhibit A" to me is just an appearance by "Good Landry". There's still too much uneasiness with him for me; I always hold my breath when he has the ball.

I suppose studness is relative; sometimes I see some other QBs and think "wow, we'd be unstoppable with those weapons". There's still a couple of things that have me less than 100% confident of a win every Saturday -- and QB (Landry) is one of them.

3rdgensooner
10/8/2011, 04:24 PM
Landry Jones, We got a Landry Jones
Got a Landry Jones, oh baby, oo-oo-oo

~Cheech and Chong,

soonerinabilene
10/8/2011, 04:26 PM

Was Sam a stud in your eyes? What about Jason?

soonergirlNeugene
10/8/2011, 04:29 PM
I'm not a hater, but I need to see more before I start thinking of him as the best QB we've had.

missann
10/8/2011, 04:29 PM
Was Sam a stud in your eyes? What about Jason?
Yes and Yes. I also think both were better than Landry.

Boomer.....
10/8/2011, 04:31 PM

By yards and records he will be the best qb that OU has had but he is not the most talented.

soonerinabilene
10/8/2011, 04:32 PM
Yes and Yes. I also think both were better than Landry.
What did they do that jones hasnt?

ouleaf
10/8/2011, 04:33 PM
Landry definitely played on of his best games as a Sooner. He made a lot of great throws, and did a great job of just getting rid of the ball when there was nothing available. If he can play like that the rest of the way OU will be very tough to beat. But let's be honest...having all weapons around him definitely doesn't hurt.

zman515
10/8/2011, 04:37 PM
They took their teams to the national championship game.

missann
10/8/2011, 04:48 PM

IMO they were more reliable, and would run (effectively) if they saw the opportunity. Much of it is also confidence. I wasn't saying a QB had to win 2 MNC's to be the best, but Landry would for me to call him that. I think of Jamielle and Josh as better QBs - both have an MNC. But if Landry were to somehow capture 2 MNCs, I'd gladly label him the best - regardless of stats and athletic ability.

I'm not saying Landry is awful. I think I just have a problem with the word "stud" being applied to him. To me a stud doesn't panic when rushed or automatically fold if the pocket collapses. For some reason, I only think of two-dimensional QBs as studs.

Okie35
10/8/2011, 04:50 PM
IMO they were more reliable, and would run (effectively) if they saw the opportunity. Much of it is also confidence. I wasn't saying a QB had to win 2 MNC's to be the best, but Landry would for me to call him that. I think of Jamielle and Josh as better QBs - both have an MNC. But if Landry were to somehow capture 2 MNCs, I'd gladly label him the best - regardless of stats and athletic ability.

I'm not saying Landry is awful. I think I just have a problem with the word "stud" being applied to him. To me a stud doesn't panic when rushed or automatically fold if the pocket collapses. For some reason, I only think of two-dimensional QBs as studs.

We also had a better line and better backs then w/ Sam, not that the ones we have now are mediocre because they're not.

rekamrettuB
10/8/2011, 04:52 PM
I hear ya. But see, "Exhibit A" to me is just an appearance by "Good Landry". There's still too much uneasiness with him for me; I always hold my breath when he has the ball.

You ever pass out during a game?

missann
10/8/2011, 04:54 PM
You ever pass out during a game?

Haha...No, I'll turn it off if it gets unbearable.

missann
10/8/2011, 04:56 PM
We also had a better line and better backs then w/ Sam, not that the ones we have now are mediocre because they're not.

Exactly. And a stud is a stud regardless.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/8/2011, 05:00 PM
Bradford was better.

mOUse
10/8/2011, 05:02 PM
HATER? I don't think youll find any. I think there are alot of fans like me.
I am fan of Jones, I just didn't think him as good as Bradford up to this point. I assure you I am not a Landry hater.
Im the same way with Stevens even though he is one of the best OU has had number wise.
Every fan sets bars of expectation in relation to previous players. I dont consider that being a hater. Potential is one thing...playmakers maximize it and build their legend brick by brick. Some games he has built UP, some games in my eyes he knocks a brick or two off. But, I havent hated an OU QB since the early John Blake years.
This game was a near flawless one...cant get much bigger than this...and Landry was great...those TD passes were amazing and those cross the middle passes were on the money. I know he HAS done it in previous games...but not this good, not this flawless, not on this stage. He showed me full potential and elevated his game today. Im sure i'm not the only one now convinced he is as good as Bradford over this weekend. Even if he doesn't win the Heisman I NOW think he is that good. And I'm happy for him and OU.

Okie35
10/8/2011, 05:02 PM
Bradford was better.

We had a better offense then, well line anyway.

kssoonerfan7
10/8/2011, 05:06 PM
I would prefer Sam but Landry has been great. Cant complain really. If I were to nitpick I think he is a one read qb. Very rarely does he check down to not the primary receiver. He throws a lot of balls to the rbs but imo I think those are primarily designed that way. Like I said though, He has been great.

lexred
10/8/2011, 05:26 PM
Landry jones has been a very good QB for OU and I seriously doubt there are really any "haters" among OU fans. The drive after Texas scored the TD on the KO was a masterpiece. I really did not think he was extremely sharp today compared to some of his past games. In fairness he had some drops by normally sticky fingered receivers.

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah give me McCoy or ash any day. Lmao

MyT Oklahoma
10/8/2011, 05:42 PM
What were Jason's and Sam's bowl records again? Landry's is 2 and 0 so far.

I've liked all of our quarterbacks and Landry does not get enough credit.

EatLeadCommie
10/8/2011, 05:44 PM
Landry was outstanding today. Easily the best game of his career. He made good throws, he threw it away when he was supposed to, he countered the dubious officiating calls with big gains. His numbers would've been even better without the drops. In short, he looked like Sam Bradford out there. I hope he plays that way the rest of the season.

delhalew
10/8/2011, 05:50 PM
Funny how there are no haters present, yet if he throws for 500 yards, 3 tds, and one int, the little bitches can't wait for the game to end to start a stupid assed thread about how Landry will always let you down.

I you're gonna be an ahole, the least you can do is own it.

FirstandGoal
10/8/2011, 05:52 PM
If Landry plays the rest of the games this season like he played today, we will never lose a single game. Anybody dumbass enough to find fault with his game today would probably bitch if it were raining money cause they would have to bend over to pick it up.

ruf/nekdad
10/8/2011, 06:33 PM
It would be better if the money just rained into my pocket. I'm just sayin'. :)

CBUS_SOONER
10/8/2011, 06:46 PM
boy Landry was real good today

missann
10/8/2011, 06:53 PM
What were Jason's and Sam's bowl records again? Landry's is 2 and 0 so far.

In lesser bowls against lesser opponents. UConn? But seriously, since the title game is no longer a bowl, I couldn't care less about bowls. They're essentially exhibitions.

The Ghost of Mex
10/8/2011, 07:11 PM
I was critical of two throws Landry made against FSU this year in the following thread:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?159322-Landry-s-picks...&highlight=Landry%27s+picks

I'm not a hater. I wasn't in the thread. I said the two throws were "bone headed" because they were. 100 bucks says Landry would agree.

I love the guy. I'm glad he's on our team.