PDA

View Full Version : How well will OUs D play against Texass?

soonercoop1
10/7/2011, 07:52 AM
OUs D gave up TDs on a 49 yd pass, 2 yd run, 32 yd pass, 27 yd pick six, 35 yd pass, and 5 yd pass with the 2 pt trick play. Gave up almost 400 yards on Offense and 43 points. Texass O coord is the same one from Boise St and our D is the same from BV. Will it be different tomorrow or does our D finally stop giving up several big plays? I have no idea which D will show up.

pphilfran
10/7/2011, 07:58 AM
The D has to play much better and find a way to eliminate those pick 6's....

8 points were scored in OT...

So the D gave up 28 during regulation...and 7 of those were after the fumble deep when the lineman came in unblocked and slapped the ball out of Paul's hands...

soonercoop1
10/7/2011, 08:08 AM
The D has to play much better and find a way to eliminate those pick 6's....

8 points were scored in OT...

So the D gave up 28 during regulation...and 7 of those were after the fumble deep when the lineman came in unblocked and slapped the ball out of Paul's hands...

Forgot about the OT but agreed OU has to eliminate big plays and that has been spotty over the last several seasons...

oumartin
10/7/2011, 08:15 AM
How does a defense give up a pick 6?

soonercoop1
10/7/2011, 08:45 AM
How does a defense give up a pick 6?

You know what I meant...

PLaw
10/7/2011, 08:49 AM
You know what I meant...

no, not really.

CBUS_SOONER
10/7/2011, 09:15 AM
Bottom line is our D needs to bring it and play better.

LesNessman
10/7/2011, 09:21 AM
I hope they try a bunch of that cutesy-trickery crap and get it shoved down their throats by Lewis, Alexander, Jefferson, et. al.

And then the Sooner offense runs a bum-a-rooskie on 'em!

budbarrybob
10/7/2011, 09:29 AM
The key is to play assignment football. But seriously, are you comparing our Def from The fiesta bowl vs BSU to our def now? Thats a stretch IMHO.

rekamrettuB
10/7/2011, 09:34 AM
This D, especially the DBs, is much better than 2006. Actually that defense did a pretty good job considering the early turnovers, the hook and ladder play, and OT. They really only gave up 21 points, 7 of which was on a short field after a turnover, for 59:53 seconds of that game...then the hook and ladder play where if one guy stays home and doesn't follow the 1st receiver, the game ends 35-28.

sooner518
10/7/2011, 09:48 AM
Boise St was undefeated and had a 5th year senior starting at QB. Harsin can draw up dickheadish trick plays all he wants, he's still got 2 freshmen throwing the ball.

rekamrettuB
10/7/2011, 09:58 AM
Boise St was undefeated and had a 5th year senior starting at QB. Harsin can draw up dickheadish trick plays all he wants, he's still got 2 freshmen throwing the ball.

Hell I haven't seen 1 of them throw the ball...Ash I think is his name?

Landthief 1972
10/7/2011, 10:04 AM

Even better, 2 freshmen have thrown for a combined total of about 250 yards, which I'm guessing came from a lot of dinking and dunking. So the question becomes, do the cowpatties have a deep threat WR, and can either one of those kids make that pass? If not, I'm guessing BV is going to sell out to cover the run and the short pass until shorthorn can prove they can do any damage deep.

SoonerAtKU
10/7/2011, 10:10 AM
He'll throw this week. That's going to be a wrinkle they use, I'd imagine. Also, expect to see both QBs in the game at some point, maybe as a lateral-deep pass connection. It's a good thing we have good safeties, or this could be a problem. Jefferson is going to have to stand on his head and play really smart football this week.

rekamrettuB
10/7/2011, 10:12 AM
He'll throw this week. That's going to be a wrinkle they use, I'd imagine. Also, expect to see both QBs in the game at some point, maybe as a lateral-deep pass connection. It's a good thing we have good safeties, or this could be a problem. Jefferson is going to have to stand on his head and play really smart football this week.

If a QB throwing the ball is a wrinkle, they are in trouble. :fat:

thecrimsoncrusader
10/7/2011, 10:30 AM
Coach Harsin was an offensive game-planner labeled as offensive coordinator at Boise St. Coach Peterson is what made and makes Boise St. go. Coach Harson was no more responsible for Boise St. offensive play-calling than Dan Hawkins was for Boise St.'s success. You have to look past Wikipedia trash and coaching bio trash. And the relevance of that Oklahoma vs. Boise St. game for this game is less than zero.

rekamrettuB
10/7/2011, 10:42 AM
And the relevance of that Oklahoma vs. Boise St. game for this game is less than zero.

Ya I saw the Big Headed guy on ESPN using game film of that game when analyzing this year's OU/Tex game. He then of course picked OU by 10.

kbsooner21
10/7/2011, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to figure out how not only are the teams different, (Boise/Saxet) but not a single player from either team (OU/Boise) will be on the field tomorrow so how can you compare that game to tomorrow?

The Maestro
10/7/2011, 10:48 AM
Coach Harsin was an offensive game-planner labeled as offensive coordinator at Boise St. Coach Peterson is what made and makes Boise St. go. Coach Harson was no more responsible for Boise St. offensive play-calling than Dan Hawkins was for Boise St.'s success. You have to look past Wikipedia trash and coaching bio trash. And the relevance of that Oklahoma vs. Boise St. game for this game is less than zero.

Been screaming this. It's like giving Tom Moore credit as the Colts OC all those years when we all know the real OC was Peyton Manning himself.

And riddle me this? Name me the offensive weapons texas. There aren't many. Stop two or three guys and they are very average. Shipley is their leading receiver...and it isn't like Jordan Shipley did squat against us until his fourth year there. I can't see them just moving the ball. They will have to razzle dazzle and all that crap, and I just don't see it.

Jacie
10/7/2011, 11:24 AM
Unlike the last few years, since Jamal Charles really, sa*et is going to run the ball this time (they are averaging over 200 yd/game). I think the key is to shut down Brown and Whitaker early and force two young QB's to figure out OUr secondary.

The Maestro
10/7/2011, 11:33 AM
And if they have to pass, Frank Alexander and Ronnell Lewis might start drooling a bit...

SoonerNomad
10/7/2011, 11:43 AM
I haven't seen enough of them to know if their new found running game is a straight ahead attack or a QB read/option like Missouri used with Franklin and Josey. I believe we can handle the straight on stuff better, but that remains to be seen.

soonercoop1
10/7/2011, 12:06 PM
The key is to play assignment football. But seriously, are you comparing our Def from The fiesta bowl vs BSU to our def now? Thats a stretch IMHO.

Would be a stretch if the same coaches weren't there...

The Maestro
10/7/2011, 12:06 PM
Their offense is ranked 46th in the nation. Against Rice, BYU, UCLA and Iowa State. Yawn.

Okie35
10/7/2011, 12:25 PM
Unlike the last few years, since Jamal Charles really, sa*et is going to run the ball this time (they are averaging over 200 yd/game). I think the key is to shut down Brown and Whitaker early and force two young QB's to figure out OUr secondary.

they're just finding more ways to run the ball.. wildcat, etc. its still the same running game.

OU_Sooners75
10/7/2011, 12:36 PM
OUs D gave up TDs on a 49 yd pass, 2 yd run, 32 yd pass, 27 yd pick six, 35 yd pass, and 5 yd pass with the 2 pt trick play. Gave up almost 400 yards on Offense and 43 points. Texass O coord is the same one from Boise St and our D is the same from BV. Will it be different tomorrow or does our D finally stop giving up several big plays? I have no idea which D will show up.

Just got to ask...how is a pick six put on the defense?

soonercoop1
10/7/2011, 01:51 PM
Just got to ask...how is a pick six put on the defense?

Was reading the old box score and just added it in....obviously it isn't related to the D...

mightysooner
10/7/2011, 02:00 PM

Not a stretch to me. Venables got clowned, pantsed, and left on the side of the road all deer eyed against Harsin last time he faced him. He had no answer for Harsin at any point during that game. I'd bet that's a big part of why Brown hired Harsin away from BSU. Pretty damn smart move IMO.

Zing
10/7/2011, 02:00 PM
Our defense will do fine. The steers' QBs are very young and, when blitzed, tend to scramble around and try to throw on the run rather than standing tall and delivering the ball to the areas that the blitz has vacated. And I don't know if y'all's memories of watching Texas QBs get run down from behind are as fond as mine are, but a quarterback, especially one in Orange, running away from a defense as athletic as ours is a quarterback with a very, very short clock.

SoonerAtKU
10/7/2011, 02:26 PM
This is the first test of Harsin, on his own, without Petersen, preparing for a big-time opponent with greater or equal talent at every position. This is your final exam, Bryan. If you can successfully do what Petersen did and really create an offense, not just run disjointed plays out of a few odd formations, then you will have arrived and earned your spot.

If not, then the bloom may just be off the rose and it's drawing-board time.

I don't think it's any secret that Petersen has been the architect of the offensive success at Boise. Hawkins had nothing after leaving there, and the jury is still out on Harsin. In fact, if Petersen had been willing to leave Boise (sick kid, from what I understand, wants to stay close to the medical care), then Texas might have had HIM as OC back in 2007. Now THAT would have been scary.

utex74
10/7/2011, 10:41 PM
Even better, 2 freshmen have thrown for a combined total of about 250 yards, which I'm guessing came from a lot of dinking and dunking. So the question becomes, do the cowpatties have a deep threat WR, and can either one of those kids make that pass? If not, I'm guessing BV is going to sell out to cover the run and the short pass until shorthorn can prove they can do any damage deep.

I believe I've seen a couple 40 yards in the air completions from each QB.

utex74
10/7/2011, 10:44 PM
I haven't seen enough of them to know if their new found running game is a straight ahead attack or a QB read/option like Missouri used with Franklin and Josey. I believe we can handle the straight on stuff better, but that remains to be seen.

Both.

utex74
10/7/2011, 10:46 PM
Our defense will do fine. The steers' QBs are very young and, when blitzed, tend to scramble around and try to throw on the run rather than standing tall and delivering the ball to the areas that the blitz has vacated. And I don't know if y'all's memories of watching Texas QBs get run down from behind are as fond as mine are, but a quarterback, especially one in Orange, running away from a defense as athletic as ours is a quarterback with a very, very short clock.

Agree that if our OL can't provide any protection we are toast. This is probably my greatest concern in this game.

Emil
10/7/2011, 11:10 PM
Sharks > bow staff skills. Trixs are for kids.

Keller Sooner
10/8/2011, 07:48 AM
I look at it this way guys, if our defense can't play well enough against Texas to win this game, they can't get to where they want to go anyway.

SoonerAtKU
10/11/2011, 12:18 PM
Agree that if our OL can't provide any protection we are toast. This is probably my greatest concern in this game.

Spooky. It's like he saw the future.

What are the Powerball numbers?