PDA

View Full Version : Harsin Harsin Harsin!!!!!

CBUS_SOONER
10/6/2011, 08:36 PM
Thats all I hear about on espin... He is so great. I hope our D brings it

Okie35
10/6/2011, 08:42 PM
Yea its getting a bit annoying. Oh well, OUr defense will show and prove ppl wrong. Come w/ the trick plays we'll just knock everyone on their asses.

VA Sooner
10/6/2011, 09:12 PM
INTs and failed trick plays... foreshadowing for this weekend, Mr. Harsin.

SoonerTerry
10/7/2011, 09:46 AM
I thought someone was harshin your buz..... and we had slipped back into the 80's

yukonsooner
10/7/2011, 10:28 AM
Is relying upon trick plays a sign of a great coach or of a desperate coach...........?

SoonerLaw09
10/7/2011, 10:35 AM
I dunno, but I expect to see a lot of WildWhorn, a Statue of Liberty, reverses, flea flicker, etc. I hope our D is up to it. If Stoops and Venables are smart (and I know they are), they will have gameplanned all that **** this week, and looking at (gulp! sorry) film from the Fiesta Bowl Which We Would Rather Forget.

badger
10/7/2011, 10:37 AM
after recapping our board's fourth quarter meltdown in last year's RRS, I have to wonder: Are trick plays really that good of a thing in an environment like that?

You'd get away with sh!t like that in your safe haven back home when 100k dumb whorns will cheer anything that doesn't result in 5-7, but half the Cotton Bowl is going to be jeering everything either team does. Every play will be get cheered and booed simultaneously... and it's been well-documented how well whorns take to adversity (how's that "dream team" moniker working out in Philadelphia, Vince? oh crap, he's crying again. I didn't mean it, Vince. You're still beloved somewhere, Philadelphia boos their own team regardless! STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE, VINCE!)

mojohornfan
10/7/2011, 10:56 AM
....and yet, I haven't seen one analyst pick Texas to win. They would be crazy to do so. But, someones gotta hype the game because, after all, ABC/espn is showing it.

But wait, you guys wouldn't fall for that now would ya......

Okie35
10/7/2011, 10:58 AM
I dunno, but I expect to see a lot of WildWhorn, a Statue of Liberty, reverses, flea flicker, etc. I hope our D is up to it. If Stoops and Venables are smart (and I know they are), they will have gameplanned all that **** this week, and looking at (gulp! sorry) film from the Fiesta Bowl Which We Would Rather Forget.

As long as you're disciplined and the dline beats their oline that **** doesn't work.

Okie35
10/7/2011, 11:04 AM
....and yet, I haven't seen one analyst pick Texas to win. They would be crazy to do so. But, someones gotta hype the game because, after all, ABC/espn is showing it.

There has been, a few.

Jacie
10/7/2011, 11:37 AM
They already ran one trickeration (against ISU after getting up big early) where they snapped to Whitaker, who handed off to Shipley, who pitched to Ash, who then threw downfield to Shipley . . . got all that?

Now the cyclone defense was already shellshocked from being on the field so much thanks to an offense that kept turning the ball over, so I am sure they had to have been playing a little tentative.

The only problem for the Sooner defense will be overrunning mis-direction plays. They have been talking all week long (various whorn players have done this) how they have been working on these, so it seems they don't really meet the criteria of a "trick play" anymore since now OUr defense will be expecting them.

We can expect direct snaps and players other than the QB will be throwing the ball. I think we'll see a fake in the kicking game, on a punt from inside OUr 50, on a FGA or onside kick if they score and take the lead.

What would be divine justice in this case is if the Sooners ran one on them and scored . . .

CBUS_SOONER
10/7/2011, 11:50 AM
Our D doesn't have a chance

badger
10/7/2011, 11:56 AM

I think a few have vBet for Lee Corso to put on the stupid whorn gear over on vBookie, so some of the betting type are putting their vCash on Corso to be that guy to pick Texas when nobody else does... but it's not like he hasn't done that many times before :)

oumartin
10/7/2011, 12:22 PM
Yip, we are so skee-rude!

Keller Sooner
10/7/2011, 12:48 PM
after recapping our board's fourth quarter meltdown in last year's RRS, I have to wonder: Are trick plays really that good of a thing in an environment like that?

You'd get away with sh!t like that in your safe haven back home when 100k dumb whorns will cheer anything that doesn't result in 5-7, but half the Cotton Bowl is going to be jeering everything either team does. Every play will be get cheered and booed simultaneously... and it's been well-documented how well whorns take to adversity (how's that "dream team" moniker working out in Philadelphia, Vince? oh crap, he's crying again. I didn't mean it, Vince. You're still beloved somewhere, Philadelphia boos their own team regardless! STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE, VINCE!)

No need for Vince to cry in Philadelphia, those turds boo Santa Claus. :beguiled:

3rdgensooner
10/7/2011, 12:51 PM
The Sooner team that Harsin's team beat was not exactly our strongest of the decade. It's become a rather tiresome but compulsively repeated story.

badger
10/7/2011, 12:53 PM
No need for Vince to cry in Philadelphia, those turds boo Santa Claus. :beguiled:

That's what I tried to tell him! He said my voice wasn't as soft and pleasant as Mack Brown's :mack:

mightysooner
10/7/2011, 02:07 PM
The Sooner team that Harsin's team beat was not exactly our strongest of the decade. It's become a rather tiresome but compulsively repeated story.

They were BIG XII champs with better players across the board and scored plenty of points to win the game outright. At no point in that game did our defense make a play.

3rdgensooner
10/7/2011, 02:10 PM
They were BIG XII champs with better players across the board and scored plenty of points to win the game outright. At no point in that game did our defense make a play.I remember the game. I would argue that they weren't better players across the board, but I get your point.

SoonerAtKU
10/7/2011, 02:30 PM
They were BIG XII champs with better players across the board and scored plenty of points to win the game outright. At no point in that game did our defense make a play.

Weren't there injuries and/or suspensions that year that limited things? I know Peterson had been hurt for a good chunk of that year. I know it was bad the next year vs. WVU, but I thought there was some of that in the previous year, too.

utex74
10/7/2011, 10:28 PM
Poated it in another thread, but Harsin's offense can be called "trick" plays but it is really packages designed to get specific player the ball in space by using misdirection and movement. In one game seven different players took the snap from center. Shifts, reverses etc. slipped in among seemingly normal offensive plays. Was watching Boise tonight and on one wide out screen they had two linemen, the receiver and a running back lined up wide. That is not a trick play. That is just a different formation that makes the defense have to think about how to line up.

OU has a very good defense with very good talent and none of this may help us tomorrow. But the offense is not a gimmick offense. It just uses different means to get the ball into the hands of the people who can do the most with it. And it will be intersting to me to have a good standard to measure how far our "O" has come and how far we have to go.

kevpks
10/7/2011, 10:40 PM

That pick six before Boise's last drive was a pretty decent play. It was inexcusable to give up that last drive but the defense made some plays to allow us to get back into the game.

LiveLaughLove
10/8/2011, 06:29 AM
Utex74,

Not going to argue the gimmicky vs not, but I find it funny that many of you guys that are so happy to have Harsin and his offense were poo poo'ing Leaches offense as gimmicky when he brought it to OU.

Leaches whole philosophy is get the ball to multiple players in space. Sounds familiar?

Harsin is about the same but he has to do it in trick play fashion because he doesn't have a good qb that can just deliver it time and time again.

That will get exposed today. Harsin isn't some super genius. He wasn't even designing or calling the plays against us in the fiesta bowl.

Is he creative? Yeah, but no more so than a ton of coaches in d-1.

utex74
10/8/2011, 06:31 AM
Utex74,

Not going to argue the gimmicky vs not, but I find it funny that many of you guys that are so happy to have Harsin and his offense were poo poo'ing Leaches offense as gimmicky when he brought it to OU.

Leaches whole philosophy is get the ball to multiple players in space. Sounds familiar?

Harsin is about the same but he has to do it in trick play fashion because he doesn't have a good qb that can just deliver it time and time again.

That will get exposed today. Harsin isn't some super genius. He wasn't even designing or calling the plays against us in the fiesta bowl.

Is he creative? Yeah, but no more so than a ton of coaches in d-1.

I LOVE Leach. We're not all clones of each other.

Keller Sooner
10/8/2011, 07:32 AM
Who is this Harsin of whom you speak? :beguiled:

mojohornfan
10/8/2011, 07:52 AM
Leach is a great offensive mind. It's just too bad he knows nothing about playing defense.

CrimsonRez
10/8/2011, 08:20 AM
who the hell is harsin? ;)

CBUS_SOONER
10/8/2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if we are gonna hear how great he is all week????? I love that every time they attempted their unstoppable trick plays, our D linement were killing them fools. Congrats to coach V and the D.

CBUS_SOONER
10/8/2011, 06:52 PM
DALLAS -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops had apparently heard enough about the wunderkind coordinators at Texas. Saturday, after his team thoroughly de-trousered everyone wearing burnt orange, Stoops couldn't help but needle a reporter who asked about the Sooners' near-psychic ability to diagnose and blow up the Longhorns' trick plays.

"That's what everybody was infatuated with all week, right?" Stoops said. "That's what you guys were writing about. Now you don't like it?"

Like coordinator Brent Venables' defense, Stoops was rolling.

"Our guys seemed to pick it up pretty good," Stoops said with just the faintest hint of a smile. "Coach Venables, it's fair to say he's pretty bright, too."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/10/08/oklahoma-texas-red-river/index.html#ixzz1aEmj5CZv

SoonerOX
10/8/2011, 07:14 PM
haha...harsin

C&CDean
10/8/2011, 07:17 PM
Fire Vulnerables!! Right Curly?

Dio
10/8/2011, 10:07 PM
Somewhere Greg Davis is laughing his *** off

unbiasedtruth
10/9/2011, 12:25 AM
he aint all that......

LASooner
10/9/2011, 01:12 AM
On the one trick play that worked his players were holding and not called.

Hotrod3157
10/9/2011, 02:22 AM
On the one trick play that worked his players were holding and not called.

I was yelling hold at the tv but the refs weren't listening to me on that one!

cleller
10/9/2011, 08:19 AM
Great link up there to the SI article.

Stooper
10/9/2011, 09:35 AM
Harsin got outcoached badly in this game.

Sooner_Tuf
10/9/2011, 01:14 PM
He will forever be known as ol fouth and forty nine harsin.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/9/2011, 01:27 PM
Mack Brown should have hired Boise St.'s actual offensive coordinator, Chris Peterson, not the offensive game-planner.

ashley
10/9/2011, 01:55 PM
ut has tricky plays, we have tricky players.

bakerjrb
10/9/2011, 02:20 PM
I was in Section 5, Row 5 yesterday - right behind the longhorn bench, and close enough to see them react to what was being yelled at them.

After each trick play that OU blew up, a group in our section chanted, "clap..., clap..., clap, clap, clap..., Bryan Harsin..."
The folks in burnt orange cringed.

It was just too special.

Boomer.