PDA

View Full Version : Ohio University band > OU's band.....

SteelClip49
10/6/2011, 02:14 PM
based on this alone!

http://espn.go.com/espn/conversations/_/id/7059349/ohio-university-band-gets-party-rock-on

MichiganSooner
10/6/2011, 02:20 PM
The Marching 110 of Ohio is the band Coach Gene Trailkill directed before he cam to run the Pride.

sooner518
10/6/2011, 02:29 PM
fire brian britt

badger
10/6/2011, 02:39 PM
As long as there's a band thread going on, the band looked smaller than previous years and while I loved the pregame performance as much as ever... Lady Gaga at halftime. Ok...

Another bemusing thing was in that $5 program I bought when we were up by like five touchdowns or so... our band is now seeking huge amounts of endowment money to sponsor individual positions (I think like $1500) as well as section sponsorships (up to $500,000!!!!!!!!). I didn't see anything about scholarships for the members via the endowments, but rather it looked like a way to get more money (a LOT more money) for other stuff... travel expenses, I guess? They also mentioned naming rights as incentive for these gifts.

Well, if OU could find someone that wanted to name Old Science Hall after themselves, perhaps they'll find donors to name the tuba section after themselves.

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 04:04 PM
That was pretty cool...but I'll take the Pride over any other band in the land.

PalmBeachSooner
10/6/2011, 05:08 PM
I want to sponsor the flute section, 'cause this one time at band camp...

CBUS_SOONER
10/6/2011, 06:08 PM
Isn't there an OU band forum????

MelloYello
10/6/2011, 06:24 PM
...the band looked smaller than previous years...

I think there are 10 or 12 tubas this year, which is pathetic. When I was in the tuba section (2002-2006), we had 20-25 every year.

fire brian britt

This.

GottaHavePride
10/6/2011, 09:31 PM
Another bemusing thing was in that $5 program I bought when we were up by like five touchdowns or so... our band is now seeking huge amounts of endowment money to sponsor individual positions (I think like $1500) as well as section sponsorships (up to $500,000!!!!!!!!). I didn't see anything about scholarships for the members via the endowments, but rather it looked like a way to get more money (a LOT more money) for other stuff... travel expenses, I guess? They also mentioned naming rights as incentive for these gifts.

So, the average band member gets basically **** for putting in roughly 20 hours a week, and now they're fundraising so they can STILL not give the students scholarships worth anything?

Yeah, I'm not OK with that. A good band student can get a full ride at OSU. And OU wonders why their music school is going to ****.

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 09:34 PM
So, the average band member gets basically **** for putting in roughly 20 hours a week, and now they're fundraising so they can STILL not give the students scholarships worth anything?

Yeah, I'm not OK with that. A good band student can get a full ride at OSU. And OU wonders why their music school is going to ****.

So, do we not give full rides to band members? I honestly know very little about collegiate band, but I've always assumed band members were on the same scholarships that are provided to the scholarship athletes. If not, and its common practice elsewhere, that's a practice that needs to change. We can do much better than that.

GottaHavePride
10/6/2011, 09:41 PM
So, do we not give full rides to band members? I honestly know very little about collegiate band, but I've always assumed band members were on the same scholarships that are provided to the scholarship athletes. If not, and its common practice elsewhere, that's a practice that needs to change. We can do much better than that.

The max scholarship I ever heard of going out was maybe $2000 a year. Considering OU costs around $10,000 a year for out of state kids, and probably $5000 to $6000 a year in-state...

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 09:46 PM
Wow. Had no idea.

I understand that 85k+ don't fill the stadium just to watch the Pride, but given how much our football program brings in, you'd think they could/would step up the funding.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
10/6/2011, 10:21 PM
I also thought the Pride looked smaller this year, too. I then realized it was the lack of sousaphones/tubas. 12? Seriously? My high school band had more! When I was in Pride, we had 26 one year. How sad. However, they have about 300 members this year. That's about the same it's been for the past decade or so. Unfortunately, it seems as if the lack of brass yields an increase of flutes and clarinets...instruments we can't really hear. Although the Pride still sounds wonderful and well balanced, they just don't have that punch of sound they once had up until 2004/5ish. I no longer get goosebumps hearing them at pregame or postgame concerts. Shame.

ALSO, fundamentals have gone to sh*t. I don't think I've ever seen poorer high mark times and lazier mark times in all my times in being in Pride and seeing the Pride. And they need to power step down the field to Oklahoma! during pregame! These might seem like small details, but small details like these are what set the Pride out from other bands.

CincySooner
10/7/2011, 07:59 AM
So, do we not give full rides to band members?

Nope... Not to the non-music majors anyway. However, I don't have a problem with that at all. It doesn't make much sense for the music department to give a full ride to an engineering student who happens to play an instrument really well. Non-music majors can have tryouts for smaller "spending money" type scholarships which are usually in the neighborhood of $500 per semester. You usually have to be one of the concert bands when spring rolls around, too.

badger
10/7/2011, 08:24 AM
I just don't think I read anything about scholarships being included in the endowment money, that's all. There might be, but based on the size of donation they were seeking, I don't see that happening, especially, as GHP said, costs are getting pretty ridiculously high for outta staters compared with financial aid provided currently.

I tried to find something about this endowment drive online, but this is all I could find:

http://bands.ou.edu/support-the-pride/patron-message.png

More info here. (http://bands.ou.edu/support-the-pride/Pride-Patron-Brochure.pdf) In a nutshell, donate $100 and be happy. They mentioned this in the football program also, but my eyes immediately drifted to asking for section sponsorships to the tune of half a million bucks :eek: