PDA

View Full Version : How many horn fans before you quit your job?

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 01:11 PM
I worked at a large, high tech company out here in silicon valley. There is a large parking lot surrounding multiple office buildings, so I always parked on the same isle so I didn't have to remember a different parking place every day. Others seemed to do the same thing, so I walked past the same set of cars all the time. 3 of the cars displayed longhorn license plate holders and/or those little longhorn emblems. You know, longhorns instead of the little fish or Darwin fish with legs like normal people have. I decided 3 was too many, so I quit*. How many would be too many for you?

*okay, I happened to be fed up with my management chain at the same time another company offered me a good sized pay increase. Not sure the horn faithful had anything to do with it, but I wrote it down on my pros & cons sheet before taking the new job. It was a definite pro to get away from that :D

soonerboy_odanorth
10/6/2011, 01:19 PM
I worked at a large, high tech company out here in silicon valley. There is a large parking lot surrounding multiple office buildings, so I always parked on the same isle so I didn't have to remember a different parking place every day. Others seemed to do the same thing, so I walked past the same set of cars all the time. 3 of the cars displayed longhorn license plate holders and/or those little longhorn emblems. You know, longhorns instead of the little fish or Darwin fish with legs like normal people have. I decided 3 was too many, so I quit*. How many would be too many for you?

*okay, I happened to be fed up with my management chain at the same time another company offered me a good sized pay increase. Not sure the horn faithful had anything to do with it, but I wrote it down on my pros & cons sheet before taking the new job. It was a definite pro to get away from that :D

Not sure... but I know this up in MN. License plate holder = real Texas fan and/or alum. Longhorn emblem = Messican or tourist who "just like the design".

I know this because I have given the Boomer Sooner and updside-down horns to the latter. And all you get is puzzled looks. So then I have to explain, and I get the response, "Oh I really don't care, I just like the design." And of the above its about 20-1 latter to former.

I think I hate these f-ers more than the real shorthorns.

But that's a nice little aside for our shorthorn lurkers: You're not much more than a symbol of Mexican nationality and/or cheap advertisement for the Texas Department of Tourism. Have fun with that.

badger
10/6/2011, 01:21 PM
"fans" implies plural. I'd quit with one* :D

*Only if they were an arsehole.

KantoSooner
10/6/2011, 01:48 PM
I once got a waitress to send my bar bill to a table of Texans in full regalia at a bar on Boat Quay in Singapore. I explained to her what Texans were and she agreed that it would be fun to simply write my tab onto theirs and then play dumb.
They paid it and she gave me a big 'hello' forever thereafter.

BeaSooner
10/6/2011, 01:50 PM
Zero - I would simply work on running them out of town.

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/6/2011, 02:01 PM

i live in silicon valley as well...there are alot of texas "fans" out here, and it makes me throw up in my mouth quite often. i gladly throw as much Sooner stuff in their faces as often as possible , just to make sure to correct the imbalance of good and evil. hopefully, with my efforts, the good is tilted in our favor. BTW i hate San Jose/Silicon Valley. might be one of the worst places i've every lived. and thats saying something, cause i'v lived in some ****ty places

n8v_ndn
10/6/2011, 02:07 PM
I live in Austin, so my threshold would have to be 2 million or so

sooner518
10/6/2011, 02:33 PM
i live in Austin and work at a big tech company here, and it seems there are more aggies here than horns. thus, i hear more about SEC and College Station and Northgate and the corps and aggie rings 50 times more than I hear about the Horns.

soonerboomer93
10/6/2011, 02:40 PM
Actual Horn alums, that I've worked with are actually decent for the most part. There's a little trash talk but not that much. Seems like the "I root for Texas because I'm from Texas, even though I graduated from Blynn people are worse".

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 03:25 PM
"fans" implies plural. I'd quit with one* :D

*Only if they were an arsehole.

I actually have met one of the car owners and he is a burnt orange, dyed in the wool UT Austin grad. And he takes CFB way serious - I mentioned I was an OU grad and he immediately started talking trash and was passionate about it. I.e., when it comes to football, he is an arsehole. Might be a great co-worker, but I'll never know. He is one of those double-edged sword guys in that if we take care of business Saturday, I would love to see the gloom on his face Monday. But if we spit the bit, he's the last guy I'd want to see. I'm not really that passionate myself. I adhere by the "Meet the Parents" DeNiro line that "it's just a game, Focker", so I can't relate to guys like this. If we get upset, I'll be bummed in the morning (and I do mean morning, the game is 9am out here) and I'll be fine by afternoon after a little bike ride. Might even catch the Stanford/CU game Sat. evening.

winout
10/6/2011, 05:32 PM
I honked and gave the Horns Down to a pickup with a Texas Longhorns logo on the back window last week here in Oregon. When the guy looked at me puzzled I realized he was just a rancher. My wife just laughed at me.

I did have a good conversation at the store with a guy that had an OU shirt on about a month ago. Nice to converse with Sooners and former Okies.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 05:35 PM
I honked and gave the Horns Down to a pickup with a Texas Longhorns logo on the back window last week here in Oregon. When the guy looked at me puzzled I realized he was just a rancher. My wife just laughed at me.

LOL

agoo758
10/6/2011, 06:55 PM
My boss is an aggie fan, should I quit? :eek:

BeaSooner
10/6/2011, 07:08 PM

Just run him off...they quit easy

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 07:47 PM

Wait 'til the 2nd half and he'll quit.

bluedogok
10/6/2011, 09:45 PM
Currently at my office in Austin we have 3.5 Whorns alums of 11 employees, one did undergrad at SCAD and has a graduate degree from UT, he grew up in South Carolina and spent the last 15 years in NYC. When I started there we were at 21 people and more than half were Whorn alums. I start a new job in Denver at the end of the month, the two owners are OU alums (they grew up in MWC and Tulsa).

goingoneight
10/7/2011, 11:58 AM
I don't think I could quit my job over a couple of janitors or yardmen. Just sayin.

Bullneck
10/7/2011, 12:37 PM
I once got a waitress to send my bar bill to a table of Texans in full regalia at a bar on Boat Quay in Singapore. I explained to her what Texans were and she agreed that it would be fun to simply write my tab onto theirs and then play dumb.

I believe this tale to be true.

1) because the Texas grads have so much money they didn't notice, and 2) a Sooner is dishonest.

Keller Sooner
10/7/2011, 01:17 PM
I'm very fortunate. I'm semi retired so therefore I play a lot of golf. In my gangsome we have two longhorns, one ATM aggie, a Baylor Bear and myself. The two horns are good dudes, we can talk football and never are they disrespectful. The guy from Baylor is just a good natured person. Now, the aggie is a whiner and he is griping nearly every breath. The Arkansas loss and OSU loss almost killed him. He can not let it go. He wants to fire all the coaches and the SEC move he hates. He very seldom misses a home game or an away game and he says he will not be traveling to SEC country and he will never donate another freaking dime to ATM. lol.

SoonerMarkVA
10/7/2011, 01:45 PM
The whorns I've met/worked with away from football have all been fine. I've had some actually come up to me in the car and talk about the game, all very respectfully (I have a Sooners plate holder). Honestly, I think it's just the message-board idiots who ruin it.

bowfin
10/7/2011, 02:11 PM
The only Longhorn fans here in Nebraska are the non-English speaking ones working in the meatpacking plants, wearing their bevo ball caps backwards and pulled down over their eyebrows.

So, to answer the question, if I saw more than one at work in Nebraska, I would know we were hiring illegals.

AlboSooner
10/7/2011, 03:59 PM
Actual Horn alums, that I've worked with are actually decent for the most part. There's a little trash talk but not that much. Seems like the "I root for Texas because I'm from Texas, even though I graduated from Blynn people are worse".

I agree with this. I work with a couple of UT grads, and they are nice people. They wore t-shirts today, but rather than that no trash talking or arrogance. Now, my cowpoke colleagues are a different story. I may take off the bedlam week.

BoulderSooner79
10/7/2011, 05:29 PM
I'm very fortunate. I'm semi retired so therefore I play a lot of golf. In my gangsome we have two longhorns, one ATM aggie, a Baylor Bear and myself....

I thought for sure you were setting us up for a joke. But you never got to the priest and the midget.

bowfin
10/18/2011, 11:05 AM
My wife is a secretary at one of the local elementary schools. One of the third graders had a tiny Texas Longhorn painted on her fingernail, and she was brought to the office as having a "gang sign".

Evidently some of the Hispanic gangbanger wannabes have taken up the Longhorn logo as their sign, and it is being treated as such by the school administration.

My take is it's much ado about nothing, and way overboard when dealing with a little 3rd grade girl.

soonerboomer93
10/18/2011, 11:31 AM

I used to teach the bar girls in Korea to say "Texas sucks"

Soonermagik
10/18/2011, 11:44 AM
My wife is a secretary at one of the local elementary schools. One of the third graders had a tiny Texas Longhorn painted on her fingernail, and she was brought to the office as having a "gang sign".

Evidently some of the Hispanic gangbanger wannabes have taken up the Longhorn logo as their sign, and it is being treated as such by the school administration.

My take is it's much ado about nothing, and way overboard when dealing with a little 3rd grade girl.

Meh... it's a horrible logo that has no place at such a fine institution. They should suspend the child for displaying a vile image.

oudavid1
10/18/2011, 12:16 PM
I have a friend who grew up an OU fan like me, but OSU gave him a little more scholly money so he had to go to OSU. A have a bunch of friends that go there but they dont mind rooting for OU. Most of them dont really care about the football part, they just like to get rambunctious. My friend that grew up an OU fan does root for OU in stilly vs OSU, and he also got a Kenny Stills themed haircut. Bleached mohawk.

Wishboned
10/18/2011, 12:53 PM
I used to teach the bar girls in Korea to say "Texas sucks"

Texas sucks chaji!!!

vtsooner21
10/18/2011, 01:09 PM
As the self-proclaimed "biggest Sooner fan in Vermont", I encounter both the "Good Guys" that ask me about my ever present OU cap, and the other guys that sport the puke-orange if they dare...I have a neighbor originally from Texas that has longhorns in his field. I've been known to stick pennants out by his cattle on occasion. (I'm certain that he knows it's me!) I'm really considering painting crimson OU's on the longhorn's sides...I'll be sure to post a pic of that should it transpire
Boomer

Ashkill
10/18/2011, 01:30 PM
I love saying hi to my whorns co workers after the RRR. Its only not fun if they are your boss or if they were to get the second coming of V. Young back. From the looks of it I think next year will be just as fun.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2011, 02:27 PM
Update on the obnoxious horn fan at my old job. I was out the door the Monday after the RRR, so I didn't get to observe his reaction first hand. But I have a well placed buddy that brought up the subject along with that picture of Jefferson using Irby's nutsack for traction. The guy said I should have better things to do with my time than send that pic and that OU should just move to the PAC12+.

So I assume it took it all in stride. ;) (I.e. he's bitter).

bowfin
10/18/2011, 03:35 PM
The guy said I should have better things to do with my time than send that pic and that OU should just move to the PAC12+.

...and he didn't finish it off with the obligatory "...and you'll never recruit another kid from Texas when you do leave." mantra?

budbarrybob
10/18/2011, 03:53 PM
This is one of those questions better answered by a lesson in life. OU is higher on the food chain, therefore, there must be more Shorthorn fans to feed our voracious appetite. So don't be angry there are more. Be thankful! ;)

Dan Thompson
10/18/2011, 04:06 PM
I was out shopping here in Mexiforina. I parked next to a truck with * plates. I came out just before the * fan and was getting in my truck. We made eye contact and...

* said "That's a nice shirt you have there".
I said "it's not as nice as the logo on my back window."
* asked "What is that?"
I said was "OU".
* said "Oh".

and drove off with out saying another word.

Most * fans out here are not as bad as the SUCk fans.:)