PDA

View Full Version : What makes Jones great?

TJKDone
10/6/2011, 11:23 AM
Give me the Sooner perspective on what makes LJ a heisman candidate...

Hookem

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/6/2011, 11:24 AM
well, off the top of my head..he doesn't play for *...

NormanPride
10/6/2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think you're going to get much Heisman talk from us about Landry... He's a good QB and does lots of great stuff, but he's not a game changer.

rekamrettuB
10/6/2011, 11:28 AM
He throws more touchdowns than interceptions.

He won more than 5 games his 1st year as a starter.

The Maestro
10/6/2011, 11:32 AM
Landry has a lot of talent, works hard, has tremendous coaches around him and so many weapons to choose from. No, the things he personally does won't "wow" anyone to death, but he is as important a piece we have in a very unified, team-focused football program.

Heisman? I doubt it with the kind of numbers you are seeing from a lot of players this year. But you never know as the season progresses if he keeps throwing for 300 and 400 yards and cuts down on the INT's.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2011, 11:37 AM
He's a good solid quarterback...In a time when there isn't a lot of good quarterback play out there, he stands out..Arm strength is solid, he usually throws the ball where his receivers will get an opportunity to do something with it after they catch it...He throws a nice screen pass, which is harder than it looks..He stands tall in the pocket..

oumartin
10/6/2011, 11:39 AM
As a starter he is undefeated against *..

That right there makes him great

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 12:14 PM
The same thing that makes any player a Heisman candidate. A QB (or RB) that puts up numbers on a highly ranked team. I'm not much of a fan of this over-hyped, popularity contest that distracts attention from a team sport. But it's part of the complete CFB entertainment package.

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/6/2011, 12:29 PM
A great system and a helluva lot of talent at the skill positions. He doesn't have much mobility and still doesn't get hit much in the no-huddle offense. He is good at making reads, has underappreciated arm strength and throws a really tight ball.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/6/2011, 01:45 PM
He's a good solid quarterback...In a time when there isn't a lot of good quarterback play out there, he stands out..Arm strength is solid, he usually throws the ball where his receivers will get an opportunity to do something with it after they catch it...He throws a nice screen pass, which is harder than it looks..He stands tall in the pocket..

Not to mention he has a Marvin Harrison clone to throw too.

EatLeadCommie
10/6/2011, 01:46 PM
I'd say his biggest asset is his ability to bounce back from plays that make you throw stuff at the tv.

The Maestro
10/6/2011, 01:54 PM

Great analogy. Especially fresh since I watched the OU-Syracuse game from 1993 yesterday...forgot he was on that team.

SoonerAtKU
10/6/2011, 02:03 PM
He's going to have to go several games throwing for 4 TDs and no INTs for him to get back into the real Heisman discussion. This would be a hell of a week to start that trend.

Broyles is the best player on this team by a fairly wide margin.

OUDoc
10/6/2011, 02:07 PM
I don't think you're going to get much Heisman talk from us about Landry... He's a good QB and does lots of great stuff, but he's not a game changer.
This.

cccasooner2
10/6/2011, 02:14 PM

Which is much tougher to do than throwing a football. :D

OUNASH
10/6/2011, 02:30 PM
He's going to have to go several games throwing for 4 TDs and no INTs for him to get back into the real Heisman discussion. This would be a hell of a week to start that trend.

Broyles is the best player on this team by a fairly wide margin.

I think Mr. Stills might have something to say about that. I dont think Broyles is light years ahead of Stills. He ahead but not by a wide margin.

sooner518
10/6/2011, 02:35 PM
95% of the time, he plays great. Has good arm strength and is accurate in hitting players in stride so that they can make plays afterwards with the ball. Seems to be able to make reads and find his 2nd and 3rd receivers. Knows when to dump it off to the RB. Its the other 5% that sometimes kills us.

SoonerAtKU
10/6/2011, 02:43 PM
Stills is a very good player, no question. I don't think it's a slight on him to say that the best WR to ever play for Oklahoma is the best player on the team.

47straight
10/6/2011, 03:36 PM

Hookem

Nothing. Geoff Ketchum, true longhorn and orangebloods.com know-er all, said that Landry Jones was "just a guy." Further, all OU fans and especially the OU coaches KNEW that Landry Jones was "just a guy." He was no Garret Gilbert, understand?

So I'm going to have to go with the biggest horn of them all and say LJ isn't a Heisman candidate, he's "Just a guy."

But that Gilbert kid, he might have a shot.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 03:38 PM
I'd say his biggest asset is his ability to bounce back from plays that make you throw stuff at the tv.

This and he's actually kind of clutch to be honest. He can make all the throws but sometimes here and there he'll rush em. Other than that when the game is on the line more times than not he'll take command and make great throws. I actually trust him in close games going back to last year.

sooneredaco
10/6/2011, 03:56 PM
First and foremost he doesn't wear a puke orange uniform. Second he doesn't worship a cow. Third he's much better than any QB at *. And finally TEXASS SUCKS BIG SWEATY BALLS!!!!!!!

Keller Sooner
10/6/2011, 04:00 PM
As mentioned earlier, we don't care about the Heisman part. Landry is a big strong kid that studies lots of film and works hard to be the best he can be. He's never satisfied with the status quo, he wants to get better. He has a good strong arm and if he gets his feet set, very accurate. He has a tendency to come out too pumped and have some high throws. This is the primary reason for most of his ints. He doesn't hang his head after making a bad throw or having a bad series, but will come right back at you and usually with success. He's a lot like Heupel in being a competitor and a really smart player. I think he's one of the top three qbs in the country.

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 04:07 PM
He just wins. I don't know that he'll get the Heisman love he should, but I am not sure he really cares. Broyles has been a major contributor to his success....I think I could throw a few completions to 85, and I suck at throwing the football.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 04:27 PM
He just wins. I don't know that he'll get the Heisman love he should, but I am not sure he really cares. Broyles has been a major contributor to his success....I think I could throw a few completions to 85, and I suck at throwing the football.

Yea he has but if you look at the games when he doesn't rely on Broyles or he's doubled, Landry has been able to spread the ball around. * last year, Ok State, Nebraska, Florida State, etc.

Partial Qualifier
10/6/2011, 04:38 PM
Regardless of his overall play on any given day: At least 2 or 3 times per game, he'll make a difficult intermediate-range completion that makes you go "damn!" because he had to get the ball in that one exact spot where the receiver could catch it.

Like the Stills catch in past year's RRS

SoonerNomad
10/6/2011, 04:50 PM
Not a Heisman candidate but a good QB for many of the reasons listed above:

1. Physically he has good height and a strong arm
2. Ability to bounce back from bad plays
3. intelligence
4. work ethic
5. Experience in big games
6. coachable
7. Leadership
8. Serenity - remains calm

C&CDean
10/6/2011, 05:22 PM
He has better numbers than Bradford?

trey
10/6/2011, 05:34 PM
He's a Sooner

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 05:37 PM
He's engaged to a great gal.

cleller
10/6/2011, 06:56 PM
In the big picture, I think what makes him great is that he improves the world somewhat with his presence. He is a net positive, if you know what I mean.
He's always had the talent to get the ball to his receiver, now he's been able to come thru in the clutch when necessary.

Solving the banking crisis was also a pretty good achievement.

3rdgensooner
10/6/2011, 07:17 PM
You're not the boss of me.

agoo758
10/6/2011, 07:23 PM
I like Laundry, but I personally would put Broyles and Whaley ahead of him in the heisman race.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 07:23 PM
I like Laundry, but I personally would put Broyles and Whaley ahead of him in the heisman race.

Broyles yea, Whaley not yet.

cccasooner2
10/6/2011, 07:41 PM

Hookem

You come here asking for free info? Plenty of good ideas for only $9.99/mo each. Pick 4 or 5 Sooner sites and average the advice.

btb916
10/6/2011, 07:50 PM
He has better numbers than Bradford?

Bradford kinda sucked though didn't he?

VA Sooner
10/6/2011, 09:20 PM
Heisman... chances are further and further now that we have a balanced team. Whaley and RB by committee change that a bit.

Jones is a great QB because he runs the system, he's getting smarter and cooler in the pocket, and he's really starting to understand the game and go through his progressions... most of the time.

But this year will be tough for him to advance with the number of incredible players out there now... lots of QBs with gaudy numbers, a few RBs looking very impressive and even a defensive back at LSU (and especially at 175 pounds!) making statements.

Forego the Heisman, Mr. Jones. Just get us number 8 quietly and you will remembered more so for the team contribution than an individual one.

picasso
10/6/2011, 10:44 PM

Hookem
He's not Garrett Gilbert.

3rdgensooner
10/8/2011, 04:30 PM
I wonder if TJK would still like this question answered.

FirstandGoal
10/8/2011, 06:16 PM
I wonder if TJK would still like this question answered.

Mack will answer that for him...