PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Grape leaving*

A Sooner in Texas
10/5/2011, 11:09 PM
Hadn't seen this posted yet.

http://www.chron.com/sports/longhorns/article/Benched-UT-quarterback-Gilbert-decides-to-transfer-2204428.php

AUSTIN — Garrett Gilbert, the former national high school player of the year who never lived up to that promise in 14 games as Texas’ starting quarterback, has played his last game for the Longhorns.

Gilbert, who underwent shoulder surgery last month after being replaced by the young tandem of Case McCoy and David Ash, announced Wednesday he has decided to transfer from UT. He leaves the Longhorns as a junior but could have two years of college eligibility remaining if he gets an NCAA medical redshirt due to having this season cut short by injury.

UT has granted Gilbert an unconditional release from his scholarship. In a statement released by the school, Gilbert said he plans on visiting multiple schools before deciding on his next school. According to multiple Internet reports Wednesday, he's already visited SMU.

"I can't thank all of my teammates and everyone at Texas enough for all of their support, but I just think I'm at a point in my life where I need a fresh start," Gilbert said in a statement released by the school.

Gilbert's tenure as UT's top quarterback began with promise, as he took over for an injured Colt McCoy in the 2010 Bowl Championship Series title game and nearly rallied the Longhorns to a victory over Alabama.

But his first full season as a starter was a disaster, as he threw 17 interceptions to go with only 10 touchdowns as UT limped to a 5-7 record.

This summer, he beat out three other quarterbacks to retain his starting job, but after throwing two interceptions early in the second game of the season against BYU, he was pulled out of the lineup for good.

Later in September, UT announced Gilbert had undergone surgery to repair a shoulder that worsened after the BYU game.

In high school, Gilbert led Lake Travis to back-to-back Class 4A Division I state championships in 2007 and 2008 and set a state record for career passing yards (12,540). His father, Gale Gilbert, was a backup quarterback in the NFL for eight seasons.

"Garrett is a terrific young man and we are very appreciative of everything he has done for our program," UT coach Mack Brown said in the statement. "Whatever school he decides to go to will get a guy who will work as hard as anyone and compete both on the field and in the classroom."

Said UT co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite after practice Wednesday: "Garrett has been nothing but class and character since he's been here. I'm sure he'll do that wherever he goes."

btk108
10/5/2011, 11:20 PM
I hear Bacone is looking for a QB

nighttrain12
10/5/2011, 11:24 PM
I saw the headline and thought this was about that Titanic punk breaking up with that Gossip Girl hottie.

Widescreen
10/6/2011, 12:11 AM
Can he kick?

I'm really tired of reading this:

Gilbert's tenure as UT's top quarterback began with promise, as he took over for an injured Colt McCoy in the 2010 Bowl Championship Series title game and nearly rallied the Longhorns to a victory over Alabama.
They never mention the 5 turnovers. I don't guess we'll ever have to hear about that again, though.

soonergirlNeugene
10/6/2011, 01:06 AM
He did as good as anyone could have hoped for a frosh making his debut vs Alabama in a national championship game. Really I wish him well. You know he's probably another one of Mack's highly touted recruits that received little to no coaching. Seriously nobody does less w/ more than he does. Kid may wind up being better off wherever he ends up.

sendbaht
10/6/2011, 05:05 AM
I'll miss him. I thought he threw the ball very well...to the other team...hahaha

BigJerm7
10/6/2011, 07:11 AM
Was he a 5*?

blacktop
10/6/2011, 07:52 AM
Just read where he was on SMU practice sidelines.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2011, 08:11 AM
Yup..He was there yesterday mernin

SoonerDood
10/6/2011, 08:37 AM
Can he kick?

I'm really tired of reading this:

They never mention the 5 turnovers. I don't guess we'll ever have to hear about that again, though.

Anybody looks good throwing to Shipley. McCoy made a career out of it.

badger
10/6/2011, 08:40 AM
I see Ash and Case high fiving when they switch out now, but eventually Mack Daddy is just going to go with one QB and then they might not be such best of friends, and they'll be joining GG in the transfer train.

Like Dood said, easy to look good when you have a receiver like Shipley. I think that Ash/Case are starting to have that themselves with the younger version. Note to secondary: Guard that stupid Shipley kid! :mad:

sooneredaco
10/6/2011, 08:42 AM
Well that sucks! I was really hoping he'd winning the starting job back this offseason

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2011, 08:52 AM
Just to show you how much mack doesn't believe in this kid, he was given an unconditional release meaning he could transfer anywhere he wanted, even to another big12 school..How many quartebacks who have started 14 games would be allowed that?

Mack is probably hoping he chooses another b12 school.

rekamrettuB
10/6/2011, 08:57 AM
Was he a 5*?

5-7*

sooneron
10/6/2011, 09:24 AM
I think he was a 4 star, he then expressed some interest in OU and was quickly de-valued to a 3 star. When he verballed to UTerus, he then rocketed up to a 5 star. It's how it works around here...

cjames317
10/6/2011, 09:55 AM
So the horns have only 2 QBs left? What would Boz do?

CrimsonCommando
10/6/2011, 10:18 AM
I see Ash and Case high fiving when they switch out now, but eventually Mack Daddy is just going to go with one QB and then they might not be such best of friends, and they'll be joining GG in the transfer train.

Like Dood said, easy to look good when you have a receiver like Shipley. I think that Ash/Case are starting to have that themselves with the younger version. Note to secondary: Guard that stupid Shipley kid! :mad:

Well, I hope Case is able to keep a stiff upper lip in case he ends up not being the starter...:rapture:

swardboy
10/6/2011, 10:24 AM
So the horns have only 2 QBs left? What would Boz do?

This....

SoonerAtKU
10/6/2011, 10:25 AM
Just to show you how much mack doesn't believe in this kid, he was given an unconditional release meaning he could transfer anywhere he wanted, even to another big12 school..How many quartebacks who have started 14 games would be allowed that?

Mack is probably hoping he chooses another b12 school.

Well, he'd still have to sit out 2 years, which would eat up all of his eligibility. Also, the "shoulder injury" is clearly an attempt to try to get him a medical redshirt somewhere so he can play 2 years instead of one and a redshirt.

SoonerAtKU
10/6/2011, 10:26 AM
Well, I hope Case is able to keep a stiff upper lip in case he ends up not being the starter...:rapture:

Hearts.

SunnySooner
10/6/2011, 10:50 AM
How hilarious would it be if he ends up being back to his high-school world-beater self at a new school? It would show that not only does Mack and Co. not develop their talent, they actually make good players BAD. I'll lol if that happens.

And he was amazing in high school, I think he owns practically every QB record in Texas, he was a freak.

badger
10/6/2011, 11:01 AM
How hilarious would it be if he ends up being back to his high-school world-beater self at a new school? It would show that not only does Mack and Co. not develop their talent, they actually make good players BAD. I'll lol if that happens.

And he was amazing in high school, I think he owns practically every QB record in Texas, he was a freak.

I think Chrissy was the same way till Mack got his clappy paws all over his talented arm.

Soonerntxs
10/6/2011, 11:19 AM
I have it on no ones authority that he will be the next SEC big time QB for aTm!

Sco
10/6/2011, 11:32 AM
I can't view him as any other way than a quitter. He had the starting job for a long time, and it's not like the Amazing Superfriends McCoy-Ash Twin Power Activation is all that effective. Gilbert could easily win the job back.

JudInKC
10/6/2011, 11:48 AM
The last time he wore a Texas jersey in Austin he was boo'ed off the field.

I'm sure he is transferring because he doesn't have it mentally to accept the boos as well as the cheers. He won't get boo'ed at SMU or some other smaller college (lesser football program).

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 11:51 AM
I can't view him as any other way than a quitter. He had the starting job for a long time, and it's not like the Amazing Superfriends McCoy-Ash Twin Power Activation is all that effective. Gilbert could easily win the job back.

Since Mack gave him an unconditional release, he was probably told he had no chance to win the job back.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2011, 11:54 AM
Gilbert had completely lost his teammates out there...You can see the entire team's body language has changed since they finally took him out

Soonerntxs
10/6/2011, 12:20 PM
Gilbert had completely lost his teammates out there...You can see the entire team's body language has changed since they finally took him out

Yes, but I was told along time ago, "That even that white stuff that you see on top of a pile of bird shat ... is STILL bird shat!" LOL!

Landthief 1972
10/6/2011, 12:20 PM
I get the feeling Gilbert would rather be a big fish in a small pond, rather than vice-versa.

PrideMom
10/6/2011, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't be the first time Texas did not know how to develop a player. Chris Simms is one, and they almost ruined Vince Young, until they finally let him play his style.....