PDA

View Full Version : Perry's Grades

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65225.html

Perry graduated from Aggie with a 2.5 GPA. 2 point f'n 5 from Aggie no less. Wow.

His campaign bus must be a short one.

47straight
10/5/2011, 09:57 PM
LOL @ millenials who have never known a world without grade inflation.

OhU1
10/5/2011, 11:41 PM
What I found interesting is the good company Perry shares (in both parties). Verbal and social skill trumps brains and intellect in this game. (I can't account for GW).

I still think it's amazing that serious Presidential candidates can be in the bottom third or even bottom 10% of their university class. Where does someone who can't stack up in school get the notion that they can lead the world?

SoonerStud615
10/6/2011, 12:57 AM
Face palm.

That said, Perry said enough when he advocated the military going to Mexico to fight drug cartels.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2011, 01:23 AM
I still think it's amazing that serious Presidential candidates can be in the bottom third or even bottom 10% of their university class. Where does someone who can't stack up in school get the notion that they can lead the world?

This. It also reinforces the belief of many on the left that conservatives are mental midgets. There's a real hostility to education by many on the right -- it's a fact that I have seen myself many times. It's probably because American universities are such bastions of progressive thought. Whatever the reason, the GOP isn't doing itself any favors by offering up the likes of Palin, Bachmann, Perry, etc. I patiently wait for the day that the Republican party nominates a well educated and well spoken conservative with a deep and broad understanding of both political theory and policy. If the GOP had someone like that right now, they'd wipe the floor with the other GOP pretenders and smash Obama next fall.

There are two individuals on the national GOP stage who may, some day, rise to that challenge; but, they're not quite seasoned enough just yet.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/6/2011, 08:37 AM
I saw copies of his transcripts posted. I don't understand how they can legally do that unless Perry volunteers that information.

Can they post his social security and credit card numbers too?

badger
10/6/2011, 08:38 AM

Perry graduated from Aggie with a 2.5 GPA. 2 point f'n 5 from Aggie no less. Wow.

Meh, I think his grades are better than W's at Harvard :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the Perry camp released them just to prove that he graduated. He's openly said that his years in the corps were fun and filled with pranks and not a lot of learnin'

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2011, 08:46 AM

have you graduated yet?

TUSooner
10/6/2011, 08:47 AM
This. It also reinforces the belief of many on the left that conservatives are mental midgets. There's a real hostility to education by many on the right -- it's a fact that I have seen myself many times. It's probably because American universities are such bastions of progressive thought. Whatever the reason, the GOP isn't doing itself any favors by offering up the likes of Palin, Bachmann, Perry, etc. I patiently wait for the day that the Republican party nominates a well educated and well spoken conservative with a deep and broad understanding of both political theory and policy. If the GOP had someone like that right now, they'd wipe the floor with the other GOP pretenders and smash Obama next fall....

Yes yes yes. Sadly, I have heard uneducated RW zombies use the fact that liberals (generally) have more education as an argument against education!

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2011, 09:11 AM
do you guys really look at grades and GPA when you consider a candidate?

OhU1
10/6/2011, 09:37 AM
Yes yes yes. Sadly, I have heard uneducated RW zombies use the fact that liberals (generally) have more education as an argument against education!

The science we were taught and our grandparents were taught is not the same science book our kids are being taught with. Science is always changing! I have a copy of a King James Bible that is 400 years old, it is word perfect today the same as it was 400 years ago. My bible isn't changing! So I'm not that impressed with your science books!" - fat *** Dallas Baptist preacher in a recent sermon.

CrimsonCream
10/6/2011, 10:23 AM
We can find out everything about perry, yet we still can't find out obama's applications.

Double standard again.

Perry and Bush were badgered into releasing their grades by the corrupt Media but are silent on Obama's. That's because Obama's grades are p!ss poor. Obama has been given everything for nothing and has just been passed along.

"I have a gift, Harry"

---Obama

(Telling Reid about his ability to bullsh!t people)

KantoSooner
10/6/2011, 11:31 AM
This. It also reinforces the belief of many on the left that conservatives are mental midgets. There's a real hostility to education by many on the right -- it's a fact that I have seen myself many times. It's probably because American universities are such bastions of progressive thought. Whatever the reason, the GOP isn't doing itself any favors by offering up the likes of Palin, Bachmann, Perry, etc. I patiently wait for the day that the Republican party nominates a well educated and well spoken conservative with a deep and broad understanding of both political theory and policy. If the GOP had someone like that right now, they'd wipe the floor with the other GOP pretenders and smash Obama next fall.

There are two individuals on the national GOP stage who may, some day, rise to that challenge; but, they're not quite seasoned enough just yet.

We tried that with Barry Goldwater in 1964. Unfortunately, he lost. Since then the GOP has been in the hands of electoral tricksters who would rather game up a 'Southern Strategy' and work the system than run on principle.

In my opinion this has led to lower voter commitment to the ideals and candidates they voted for, resulting in less solid bases and the need to constantly 'run' for office.

But you're right: whichever party drops the BS and starts to pose the difficult questions we face as a nation to the people in non-inflammatory form will likely wipe the other party out.

KantoSooner
10/6/2011, 11:37 AM
Meh, I think his grades are better than W's at Harvard :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the Perry camp released them just to prove that he graduated. He's openly said that his years in the corps were fun and filled with pranks and not a lot of learnin'

W graduated from Yale (undergrad) and actually had a respectable 3.X GPA (higher than Al Gore's). And they don't hand out grades there.

I am amazed at my kid's and nephew's classes. 4.0 gpas and higher abound. It's ridiculous when you then ask these people their opinons about the Arab Spring, for instance, and find the conversation devolving into a 'Where is Tunisia?' session on the family globe. I seriously think a current era 4.0 approximates somewhere around a 1.0 25-30 years ago.

lexsooner
10/6/2011, 01:15 PM
Double standard again.

Perry and Bush were badgered into releasing their grades by the corrupt Media but are silent on Obama's. That's because Obama's grades are p!ss poor. Obama has been given everything for nothing and has just been passed along.

"I have a gift, Harry"

---Obama

(Telling Reid about his ability to bullsh!t people)

That's not true. He graduated magna cum laude at Harvard Law School, which is the top ten percent of his graduating class. This is not a comment on his ability or performance (or lack thereof) as President, but it is a fact.

OhU1
10/6/2011, 01:35 PM
That's not true. He graduated magna cum laude at Harvard Law School, which is the top ten percent of his graduating class. This is not a comment on his ability or performance (or lack thereof) as President, but it is a fact.

Oh yeah, where is his birth certificate?

CrimsonCream
10/6/2011, 01:48 PM
"Barack Obama has not released transcripts for his grades from Occidental College, Columbia University and Harvard Law. He has also not released his SAT and LSAT scores. No explanation has been offered for not releasing them.

Per the Wall Street Journal September 11, 2008, "Obama's Lost Years," Obama graduated from Columbia University (to which he transferred after his first two years at Occidental College in California), with a degree in Political Science without honors, so had a GPA less than a 3.3. His roomate Sohale Siddiqi indicated Obama itially felt alienated, felt "very lost," and used drugs to get high, which could have led to low grades initially.

The roomate indicates that he then turned serious and "stopped getting high." Obama transferred to Columbia because he was concerned with urban issues. Based on his overall undergraduate GPA of less than a 3.3, Mr. Obama's admission to Harvard Law School may reflect affirmative action statutes, low grades early, then higher grades later (purely speculation) and/or other factors.

At Harvard Law School, Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude, which, according to the Havard Law School website, is awarded to the top 10% of Harvard Law School students.

Also at Harvard Law School, Obama was accepted as one of 85-90 Editors of the Harvard Law Review, out of an estimated 1,000 students from the 2L and 3L classes that might have sought this honor. Obama was also elected President of the Law Review, which according to a Harvard Law spokesperson is not based at all on academics, but on other measures as would occure in any club."

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2011, 02:01 PM
have you graduated yet?
Am I running for President of the most powerful nation on Earth?

lexsooner
10/6/2011, 02:07 PM
"Barack Obama has not released transcripts for his grades from Occidental College, Columbia University and Harvard Law. He has also not released his SAT and LSAT scores. No explanation has been offered for not releasing them.

Per the Wall Street Journal September 11, 2008, "Obama's Lost Years," Obama graduated from Columbia University (to which he transferred after his first two years at Occidental College in California), with a degree in Political Science without honors, so had a GPA less than a 3.3. His roomate Sohale Siddiqi indicated Obama itially felt alienated, felt "very lost," and used drugs to get high, which could have led to low grades initially.

The roomate indicates that he then turned serious and "stopped getting high." Obama transferred to Columbia because he was concerned with urban issues. Based on his overall undergraduate GPA of less than a 3.3, Mr. Obama's admission to Harvard Law School may reflect affirmative action statutes, low grades early, then higher grades later (purely speculation) and/or other factors.

At Harvard Law School, Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude, which, according to the Havard Law School website, is awarded to the top 10% of Harvard Law School students.

Also at Harvard Law School, Obama was accepted as one of 85-90 Editors of the Harvard Law Review, out of an estimated 1,000 students from the 2L and 3L classes that might have sought this honor. Obama was also elected President of the Law Review, which according to a Harvard Law spokesperson is not based at all on academics, but on other measures as would occure in any club."

There's still nothing in there indicating his grades were "**** poor." You may not have intended to get this message across, but the Obama story described above is really an example of a great affirmative action success - a very bright but underachieving minority student who was given a chance and then he not only excelled at one of world's top law schools filled with outstanding minds, but surpassed nearly all of them in grades and became the President of the prestigious Law Review.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2011, 03:28 PM
Am I running for President of the most powerful nation on Earth?

highly unlikely but there's something a little funny about a fellow without a college degree - calling out who smart or not smart - another man is - who did graduate

you're entitled to your opinion of course - i just find it amusing....i think everybody gets that you dont like RP - but calling out his grades is a bit chicken **** - even for you

by the way, i'm not a RP supporter

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2011, 04:57 PM
highly unlikely but there's something a little funny about a fellow without a college degree - calling out who smart or not smart - another man is - who did graduate

you're entitled to your opinion of course - i just find it amusing....i think everybody gets that you dont like RP - but calling out his grades is a bit chicken **** - even for you

by the way, i'm not a RP supporter

It's true; I haven't graduated yet. Although, I wasn't criticizing his graduation status -- I was criticizing his GPA. But, point taken. The next time I start a thread about Perry, I'll limit my criticism to his craptastic debate "skills."