PDA

View Full Version : This How I View The OU-Texas Game: No Pressure

FaninAma
10/5/2011, 09:24 PM
I look at the upcoming game this way and it allows me to forgo any nerves or doubts.

If Texas were playing Alabama or LSU or even Wisconsin on a neutral field Texas would get crushed.

If OU is really the national title contender we all think they are and deserving of the chance to face one of the above 3 teams in the title game then they should do the same to the horns.

If we don't and we squeak out a close win or, heaven forbid, lose then we really weren't a team worthy of national title consideration. It is that simple.

Missouri and FSU(with Manuel at QB) were better teams than Texas on both sides of the ball. Tulsa was better on offense.

Either the Sooners are contenders or pretenders. I personally feel they are the former and should scorch the horns. If Alabama can go into Gainesville and crush Florida then OU should be able to do the same to Texas on a neutral field.

LiveLaughLove
10/5/2011, 09:31 PM
Good thoughts and sort of the way I approach every game OU plays.

We either deserve to contend or we don't.

Not that I don't hope it every year, but this year for a myriad of reasons (Their new OC and DC, the realignment crud and well, their texas), I hope we stomp them by 50+.

The Ghost of Mex
10/5/2011, 09:38 PM
Missouri and FSU(with Manuel or Trickett at QB) were better teams than Texas on both sides of the ball. Tulsa was better on offense.

fify

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2011, 10:53 PM
True, but you'll will still be pacing by gametime. ;)

starclassic tama
10/5/2011, 10:56 PM
you make decent points, but this is one of those games where anything can happen. much like alabama auburn, alabama is obviously the better team but you never know with a rivalry game like this.

but yeah, OU is at least 14 points better than texas

delhalew
10/5/2011, 10:58 PM
Please. It's a rivalry game. * was a steaming pile of **** last year, and still summoned enough pride and intensity to give us a game. Football doesn't work according to your script.

FaninAma
10/6/2011, 08:30 AM
Please. It's a rivalry game. * was a steaming pile of **** last year, and still summoned enough pride and intensity to give us a game. Football doesn't work according to your script.

And it is obvious that OU was not a national championship caliber team last year.

There is not a position on the field in which the horns will have an advantage over OU.

If we can't dominate this team on a neutral site then we don't belong on the field with an SEC team that is far more talented than this Texas team in what amounts to a home game for the SEC representative.

btb916
10/6/2011, 08:47 AM
I don't agree that we can't win the national title if we don't dominate Texas. To me what matters more is how our defense plays. Can they contain McCoy/Ash and Shipley? Can they get consistent pressure from the D line on Mccoy/Ash, getting knockdowns and a couple of sacks? Can Harris/Lynn be disciplined and in the right place consistently?

If there are significant positives on the defensive side, but we still don't "dominate," I will feel confident about the rest of the season and our chances to beat Bama or LSU in a national title game.

devOUt
10/6/2011, 08:48 AM
Agreed. Anything short of a convincing victory at the Cotton Bowl would indicate we are still a work in progress. A convincing victory means we controlled the game and won comfortably, it doesn't necessarily mean a rout. Texas is not that good and if we are, it's time to prove it.

MojoRisen
10/6/2011, 08:49 AM
Texas is one year removed from a team that should have won the MNC. All bets are off since they found some light at QB - night and day compared to Gilbert he just didn't have it.

delhalew
10/6/2011, 08:52 AM
And it is obvious that OU was not a national championship caliber team last year.

There is not a position on the field in which the horns will have an advantage over OU.

If we can't dominate this team on a neutral site then we don't belong on the field with an SEC team that is far more talented than this Texas team in what amounts to a home game for the SEC representative.

Well, personally, I think we embarrass them. Unlike you, I just don't think it reflects poorly on us if we don't cover a 10 point spread.

Emotion, intensity, injuries, officiating, and plain old luck play too big a role in football. That said...hand half a hunnerd on em.

dennis580
10/6/2011, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't put LSU in the same catogory as OU, Alabama, and Wisconsin. Yea I still think LSU is overrated.

Jacie
10/6/2011, 09:07 AM
Sometimes the thing that everyone or at least of lot of people say because they heard it somewhere or base it on old, out-of-date information may not be as true as people think and the one I am going to address is that sa*et is not a very good team or that they are not as good as some other teams OU has already played.

It is true they suffered a huge letdown in 2010 for reasons which continue to provide bulletin board fodder but most of the blame can be put on the coaching staff. Key members of that staff were replaced. These new coaches are working with talented athletes. At the pivotal QB position, the OC's now have in place the guys they need for this team to begin realizing it's potential and that potential is huge.

No matter the outcome, the Sooners are not facing Ball State, this is sa*et, OUr biggest rival (some would argue OUr only rival).

All those quality athletes that elected to go there to play football didn't evaporate or suddenly get slower, smaller or less talented than they were just because their team went 5-7.

It is never a good idea to take a rival lightly or make a game prediction on the basis of results from the previous season.

Is Oklahoma the better team? OU should be but that is no guarantee of victory. This one will not come easy. I will be happy to come away with a win. If the margin is one point that is as good as 21 points to me.

SOFSooner
10/6/2011, 09:32 AM
I agree that OU is a better team this year, however the reasoning of having to win by a large margin to prove that the Sooners are a contender for the national championship is not viable. I agree that the Sooners blew out the shorthorns in 2000 and went on for #7, however when they played in '74 and '75, #s 4 and 5 the scores were relatively close. In 1974 OU won 16-13 and went on to win their fourth NC, and in 1975 the score was 24-17, again the Sooners won their fifth NC. This is a rivalry so it is expected that each team will bring their A game and give their best effort in the game. Another factor is that OU and saxet hate each other, and that emotion is also a variable. That being said I would love to see OU win this game with a score similiar to the 2003 game. Go Sooners!!!!!!!

meoveryouxinfinity
10/6/2011, 09:48 AM
I agree with the point being made: if we can't beat Texas convincingly, we aren't ready to play Alabama. But here's the great news: we don't have to be ready yet! It's a very long season. This week we only have to be better than Texas. Next week we only have to be better than KU. You never want to peak too early. The great thing about Stoops teams is that they usually get better toward the end of the year (except in the bowl games). The Stoops defenses almost always are much improved by November.

FaninAma
10/6/2011, 11:33 AM
Well, personally, I think we embarrass them. Unlike you, I just don't think it reflects poorly on us if we don't cover a 10 point spread.

Emotion, intensity, injuries, officiating, and plain old luck play too big a role in football. That said...hand half a hunnerd on em.

I don't think it reflects poorly on OU. It would just indicate that at this point we are not legitimate national title contenders. I look at this game as a measuring stick.

I will acknowledge the premise that if OU struggles and wins a close game we still could improve over the remaining games to the point we could compete with an Alabama or LSU but if our defense struggles that will not be a good indicator that we will get to where we need to be by the end of the year.

pweitkem
10/6/2011, 11:39 AM
Just win, don't worry about domination or how we compare to teams that aren't in the game. OU wins out, all will be fine. I remember a team that squeaked by five or six games and then played an FSU team that was unbeatable.... think that turned out okay.

The Maestro
10/6/2011, 11:54 AM
Couldn't agree more with FaninAma. I'm still not convinced OU is a national title contender, but don't have to be yet. When you factor in everything...experience, talent, coaching, schedule up to this point, history of the series (winners usually have streaks, favored team normally wins) all signs point to OU. Yes, that is why you play the game. If Landry throws some INT's, the whorns have a shot. If Harsin draws up the double tight end reverse half back pass fumblerooski of liberty and we bite on every fake, yes, those untested, unproven freshman could score a lot of points. If so, we are who we are...but I believe the maturity, determination, grit and proven ability to win away from home now in high stakes games will show forth...and OU will roll.

Last year at this time OU was known for letting lesser teams stay in games where OU should have blown them out, see Utah State, Air Force, Cincinnati...and texas! Here's hoping that while ESPN LOVES to talk about how texas has improved, the nation will see that, in the last 52 weeks, so have the Sooners.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 12:07 PM
By getting to this game at 4-0 and ranked in the top 15, the horns have removed any "need" for OU to win by a large margin. I don't think there was much need anyway, but it's gone now. I'm talking about the possibility to end up outside the #2 in the final BCS ranking if we win out. Wisky, Clemson and Stanford are all dealing with weak conference opponents and no need to even mention Boise. All bets are off if OU ends up tied with a bunch of 1 loss teams, but that's the way it always goes in that situation. This is a "just win, baby" game.

PrideMom
10/6/2011, 12:18 PM
If the Cotton Bowl was an actual neutral site, but it never has been. Although the fans are half and half, the refs are not! I have been there when even the stadium announcer said "Hook 'Em Horns" before the game started. But I still think OU will win because we have the experience to win in the BIG game....

Bourbon St Sooner
10/6/2011, 12:25 PM

* hadn't completely quit by then. The next week they went up to Lincoln and beat nebbish. It was after they came out flat against clown and got punked that they said to hell with it.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/6/2011, 12:28 PM
The 2001 Miami team didn't win the BCS title because they barely beat Boston College and Virginia Tech. No wait.

JLEW1818
10/6/2011, 12:40 PM
texas beat a 5 loss OU team by 3 points in 2009. they went to the title.

bama won off a blocked FG against Tenn that year.

2008, FL lost at home to an unranked team, and won the title later on.

The Maestro
10/6/2011, 01:00 PM
I know we don't have to crush Texas, but it has been since 2003 that we played a complete game on both sides of the ball and just bitch slapped them. Defense did in 2004, 2007 we blew a lot of opportunities and last year we ended with a big thud in the final quarter. I want to see 4 quarters of showing them who has the most want to, talent, teamwork and experience. Sure, a 1 point win works, but I want to see this team treat this, and every game, like it is the BCS title game.

BermudaSooner
10/6/2011, 01:57 PM
Football is about match-ups. One team may match up very well against one, and not very well against another. This A>B, B>C, therefore A>C stuff doesn't work in football.

As another poster said, almost every year the national champion needs to survive a scare or two--or maybe even lose a game. Barely beating Texas does not mean we are not title worthy in my book.

Just win, baby.

BermudaSooner
10/6/2011, 01:58 PM
damn..double post

BermudaSooner
10/6/2011, 02:00 PM
and BTW, if you can walk into that stadium at 10:40 on Saturday morning and not feel pressure or nervous, then you aren't a very big OU fan. I for one will have my knees knocking until the final gun.

delhalew
10/6/2011, 02:11 PM
Look, Bama would *** rape us right now. By the end of the year, I like our chances.

The Maestro
10/6/2011, 02:49 PM
Look, Bama would *** rape us right now. By the end of the year, I like our chances.

Other than what their defense does for them, what about the Bama offense scares you? No passing game...AT ALL!!! Very unimaginative. Hell, why do you think Gilbert Grape was almost a legend in texas at the title game a few years back? Because Bama is plain vanilla with the ball.

delhalew
10/6/2011, 03:10 PM
Other than what their defense does for them, what about the Bama offense scares you? No passing game...AT ALL!!! Very unimaginative. Hell, why do you think Gilbert Grape was almost a legend in texas at the title game a few years back? Because Bama is plain vanilla with the ball.

Not trying to gloss over the Bama defense, I just don't even want to think about it.

Did you get a load of their offensive line? It would be pretty hard to shut down their running game.

As I say, by the end of the year, I bet we will feel pretty good about it.

The Maestro
10/6/2011, 03:29 PM
Not trying to gloss over the Bama defense, I just don't even want to think about it.

Did you get a load of their offensive line? It would be pretty hard to shut down their running game.

As I say, by the end of the year, I bet we will feel pretty good about it.

Agreed their line is big, but if you know the run is coming, you stand a better chance to at least slow them down.

They threw four picks against Kent State, less than 400 yards vs. Penn State and looked incredibly average, less than five yards per carry...less than 400 yards vs. Arky with just 16 first downs (used turnovers and special teams to roll that score up), and average offensive numbers vs. Florida. Yes, I know their defense is awesome...hard to imagine us moving the ball on them consistently and not having some picks thrown. Just not scared of their offense.

delhalew
10/6/2011, 03:37 PM
Agreed their line is big, but if you know the run is coming, you stand a better chance to at least slow them down.

They threw four picks against Kent State, less than 400 yards vs. Penn State and looked incredibly average, less than five yards per carry...less than 400 yards vs. Arky with just 16 first downs (used turnovers and special teams to roll that score up), and average offensive numbers vs. Florida. Yes, I know their defense is awesome...hard to imagine us moving the ball on them consistently and not having some picks thrown. Just not scared of their offense.

The only thing I'm starting to see from Bama on both sides of the ball that I find worrisome, is an impressive discipline. Of course they're big, fast, and nasty. That's to be expected, but if they keep playing with that discipline, anyone would be at a disadvantage.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 03:41 PM
If OU is really the national title contender we all think they are and deserving of the chance to face one of the above 3 teams in the title game then they should do the same to the horns.

If we don't and we squeak out a close win or, heaven forbid, lose then we really weren't a team worthy of national title consideration. It is that simple.

I totally agree. I'm not nervous for this game.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 03:49 PM
I totally agree. I'm not nervous for this game.

It's not Saturday yet :)

LASooner
10/6/2011, 04:21 PM
I honestly see it as no win. Texas in the minds of the media is still not strong.

If it's a close tough fought game, they'll consider us not as strong as they thought and we'll drop again in the polls.

If we crush them, they'll assume Texas is still bad, and we won't get as much credit for the big win.

Conversely if Texas wins, they'll be pimped as "Being Back" and world beaters, no matter how they win.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 04:24 PM
I honestly see it as no win. Texas in the minds of the media is still not strong.

If it's a close tough fought game, they'll consider us not as strong as they thought and we'll drop again in the polls.

If we crush them, they'll assume Texas is still bad, and we won't get as much credit for the big win.

Conversely if Texas wins, they'll be pimped as "Being Back" and world beaters, no matter how they win.

You would think that but BSPN has been pumping sunshine up *'s ***. If we won by more than the spread it will definitely be a win. People know that rivalry games are tough. If we crush them they'll be talking about 2000 more.

It's not Saturday yet :)

lol that's true.

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 04:25 PM

Sad, but true.

It's clear we're not going to get SEC love nationally, so we just need to win games. Winning big helps, but winning is what's essential. LSU and Bama will play at least once, and I don't think Whisky will jump us (in the minds of the pollsters) regardless of them winning out.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 04:29 PM
Sad, but true.

It's clear we're not going to get SEC love nationally, so we just need to win games. Winning big helps, but winning is what's essential. LSU and Bama will play at least once, and I don't think Whisky will jump us (in the minds of the pollsters) regardless of them winning out.

the rest of their schedule is weak

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 04:31 PM

Er? I'll never understand a no win mindset - especially against the horns. A win is a win. But you are correct that a loss is "no win". Sorry for any confusion.

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 04:32 PM
Er? I'll never understand a no win mindset - especially against the horns. A win is a win. But you are correct that a loss is "no win". Sorry for any confusion.

I think he's referring to the national media, and the effect this game will have on them.

soonercastor
10/6/2011, 04:35 PM
I'm fine with squeaking by every game until the national championship game. It shouldn't matter as long as these other undefeated teams start losing. However if they are three or more legit contenders undefeated at the end of the year then we could be ****ed, especially with no championship game.

That's not to say that a nice stomping of * wouldn't be nice.

soonercastor
10/6/2011, 04:37 PM

he's referring to how other people (media included) will judge our team, and he's right. However it most likely won't matter (see my post above) because these other undefeated teams will start falling one by one. BUT it could come into play if there are three or more undefeated teams at the end of the year.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 04:39 PM
I think he's referring to the national media, and the effect this game will have on them.

It's an unexpected bonus that the horns are 4-0 and ranked as far as national media perception is concerned. Would you have predicted that pre-season? I've seen at least 2 national media guys pick UT in an upset. One was Randy Cross - forget the other guy. Urban Meyer claimed we had a 3 game season (FSU, aTm, OSU) and now many think UT would count. I can see no downside what so ever to a win. As far as perception if we lose? Well, duh.

soonercastor
10/6/2011, 04:43 PM
I can see no downside what so ever to a win.

errrr you're missing the point he's making.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 04:48 PM
errrr you're missing the point he's making.

I don't think so - read my comments above. Going into the season, the media was not even going to be interested in this game because the horns were not ranked and were assumed to be rebuilding/reorganizing and presented no threat. Now the media is taking notice and some even saying the horns are good enough to pull off the upset. Gameday is there and that was not a given had the horns lost a couple. A win now if far more relevant than was predicted it would be. But of course, we have to win.

PalmBeachSooner
10/6/2011, 04:50 PM
If OU jumps out to a double-digit early lead * will start to doubt themselves. When that happens OU should be able to take control and put the game away early. The flip-side to that is if * jumps to an early lead or stays close it will gain confidence and believe they can win and then it's anyone's game.

I don't like the flip-side.

SoonerNomad
10/6/2011, 04:55 PM
If OU jumps out to a double-digit early lead * will start to doubt themselves. When that happens OU should be able to take control and put the game away early. The flip-side to that is if * jumps to an early lead or stays close it will gain confidence and believe they can win and then it's anyone's game.

I don't like the flip-side.

Which team would be most likely to bounce back from a slow start? I believe it is the Sooners based on the Missouri game a couple of weeks ago and Nebraska last December. OU used to have to start quickly, and while they still can, it is not nearly as crucial to get off to a quick start as it has been in the past. This team has experience at key positions and will not panic if things don't start well.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 04:59 PM
Which team would be most likely to bounce back from a slow start? I believe it is the Sooners based on the Missouri game a couple of weeks ago and Nebraska last December. OU used to have to start quickly, and while they still can, it is not nearly as crucial to get off to a quick start as it has been in the past. This team has experience at key positions and will not panic if things don't start well.

Agreed. This team is pretty relentless.

The Maestro
10/6/2011, 05:03 PM
It shouldn't matter as long as these other undefeated teams start losing. However if they are three or more legit contenders undefeated at the end of the year then we could be ****ed, especially with no championship game.

Disagree, big time. The Big 12 has proven its worth during the non-conference this year. OU, OSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Baylor and Kansas State all have a shot at being ranked at the end of the season. Not likely, but this league is strong and if OU stands 12-0 with wins over ALL these teams, plus a win at Florida State, it is a no brainer that we are in over an unbeaten Wisconsin, Clemson and, of course, Boise State.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 05:31 PM
Disagree, big time. The Big 12 has proven its worth during the non-conference this year. OU, OSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Baylor and Kansas State all have a shot at being ranked at the end of the season. Not likely, but this league is strong and if OU stands 12-0 with wins over ALL these teams, plus a win at Florida State, it is a no brainer that we are in over an unbeaten Wisconsin, Clemson and, of course, Boise State.

Exactly. We were pre-season #1 not just based on anticipated strength, but also on our perceived schedule which included no real contribution form beating the horns. That has changed with the horns being ranked as well as KSU getting more cred now. Wisky is generally hosed, except some potential surprise help from UMich. Stanford only has the ducks and I think the ducks win that anyway. There is not much cred in the ACC for Clemson especially since we took out FSU first. Boise was doomed before the first kick-off. That's all the positives - the negative is that our schedule really is hard!

CBUS_SOONER
10/6/2011, 06:06 PM
I really dont like the fact that no experts are giving *cancer* a chance

aurorasooner
10/6/2011, 06:28 PM
Who are the zebras going to be in Dallas? Surely it's going to be Novak's crew, & not either of the Whorn's azz-kissing crews (Bible/Christal--sp?). With all this conference realignment press dominating the AD's offices this week as well as the Big 12 office, I wouldn't be surprised if the Whorns tried to slip either of these crews past our AD dept.

MelloYello
10/6/2011, 06:28 PM
All the pressure is on OUr team.

oupride
10/6/2011, 06:39 PM
Hope we hang half a hundred on them!

oupride
10/6/2011, 06:41 PM

How about Stanford? Do you get to see them play? Do you think they will go undefeated?

Always_Sooner
10/6/2011, 06:54 PM
Excellent insight. I have began to feel the same way. Put up or shut up with OU this year.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 06:58 PM
How about Stanford? Do you get to see them play? Do you think they will go undefeated?

I don't.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2011, 07:52 PM

I don't. But if they do, their big feather will be beating already beaten ducks at home. Not enough to jump an unbeaten OU team. Stanford is not as good as last year having lost 3 O-lineman to graduation and they just lost their MLB who played a very similar role to Ryan Reynolds on our '08 team.

AlbqSooner
10/6/2011, 08:19 PM
I don't give a damn about the effect, or not, of a big win, close win, yada, yada, yada.

This is the Red River War and I want to win.

The rest of that carp will work its way out by December.

Tuck Fexas!

King Barry's Back
10/6/2011, 08:26 PM

Conversely, in 09 we turned in a five loss season, but took TX to the edge in a near national championship season for them.

Okie35
10/6/2011, 08:35 PM
I don't give a damn about the effect, or not, of a big win, close win, yada, yada, yada.

This is the Red River War and I want to win.

The rest of that carp will work its way out by December.

Tuck Fexas!

:rapture:

VA Sooner
10/6/2011, 09:15 PM
My sentiments exactly... but don't want them to "elevate their game" just because we're rivals.

Need 800 yards of offense and give up 200 yard in return without TD's.... just long-*** field goals from their kicker at the 50 yard-line... and making it only half the time.

These are a few of my favorite things...

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 09:26 PM
It's an unexpected bonus that the horns are 4-0 and ranked as far as national media perception is concerned. Would you have predicted that pre-season? I've seen at least 2 national media guys pick UT in an upset. One was Randy Cross - forget the other guy. Urban Meyer claimed we had a 3 game season (FSU, aTm, OSU) and now many think UT would count. I can see no downside what so ever to a win. As far as perception if we lose? Well, duh.

I completely see your point, however, I think it boils down to this:

A close win is our best chance of impressing the media - strange, I know, but here's my reasoning:

IF we blow them out, then people (the media) walk away thinking "texas was not the team we thought", and then it's more "OU hasn't really played the same quality of competition as LSU, Bama, etc." (which I still disagree with).

IF we lose, then, like you said, duh.

However, IF we win a close game, then the thinking is "Texas is a good team (like we thought), and OU is for real".

Now, I happen to think that texas is just mediocre this year. A team that is better than last year, for sure, but not the 10th best team in the country. That doesn't mean they won't get back to that level, but they're not there yet...if you base it only on who they've beaten and how they've won (and that's all I have).

Make sense?

SoonerofAlabama
10/6/2011, 09:27 PM
Only thing I am asking for (Except for the win, of course :]) is that we play four full quarters of good football.

Wishboned
10/6/2011, 09:33 PM
I always worry about this game. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "This is a rivalry game. Anything can happen. John Blake beat a ranked Texas team."

8timechamps
10/6/2011, 09:49 PM
I always worry about this game. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "This is a rivalry game. Anything can happen. John Blake beat a ranked Texas team."

If you watch enough OU/Texas games, you'll see just about every football cliche played out. From "Prevent defense prevents the win" to "Anything can happen".

I suppose that's part of what makes it so great.

soonergirlNeugene
10/6/2011, 11:19 PM
The difference between Bama, LSU, or Wisky playing Texas is that it wouldn't be a rivalry game. Rankings go out the window in games like this.

BoulderSooner79
10/7/2011, 12:43 AM
I completely see your point, however, I think it boils down to this:

A close win is our best chance of impressing the media - strange, I know, but here's my reasoning:

IF we blow them out, then people (the media) walk away thinking "texas was not the team we thought", and then it's more "OU hasn't really played the same quality of competition as LSU, Bama, etc." (which I still disagree with).

IF we lose, then, like you said, duh.

However, IF we win a close game, then the thinking is "Texas is a good team (like we thought), and OU is for real".

Now, I happen to think that texas is just mediocre this year. A team that is better than last year, for sure, but not the 10th best team in the country. That doesn't mean they won't get back to that level, but they're not there yet...if you base it only on who they've beaten and how they've won (and that's all I have).

Make sense?

Short term, I'm with you (a close win looks good). But longer term, it's more important what the horns do after this game. If they win against all the mid-level teams and only lose to the pokes, then it won't matter how we won - especially to the BCS computer formulas. We will never pass Bama/LSU as long as they keep winning, so that's not even an issue. Even pre-season, all the talking heads I saw *wanted* to put Bama on top, but couldn't because of LJ having experience and Bama having a new starter at QB. But the way they worded it, you could tell they were going to elevate Bama if the new QB showed he was an efficient game manager and the defense was for real. That has happened. LSU was a little more surprising, but their schedule was favorable if they could win them and they did. So now both teams have "defense wins championships" and "SEC SEC" going for them. Nothing we do can trump that unless they get upset. So we're shooting for the other slot against the other strong teams and we have the pole position with our schedule.

Texas Golfer
10/7/2011, 01:15 AM
BOOMER SOONER!

Salt City Sooner
10/7/2011, 01:27 AM
Luginbill has it as his upset special, but he also followed it by point blank saying that it was (& I quote) "not of my own volition," i.e. he had orders from upstairs to do it.

Who are the zebras going to be in Dallas? Surely it's going to be Novak's crew, & not either of the Whorn's azz-kissing crews (Bible/Christal--sp?). With all this conference realignment press dominating the AD's offices this week as well as the Big 12 office, I wouldn't be surprised if the Whorns tried to slip either of these crews past our AD dept.
It is Novak & co, & FWIW, neither Christal (1999) nor Bible (2003), have done the RRS in a long time.

Sooner70
10/7/2011, 06:03 AM
Sure, on paper one would think OU has the better team, but unfortunately this game isn't played on paper. Anything can happen in this game. History shows that it's usually decided by a very few points at the end, usually, no matter where the teams are ranked. Actually, I think the "pressure advantage" goes in Texas' favor. Here they are a bunch of freshmen, not expected to win. The pressure is on OU, although because it's such a rivalry, UT will feel it also.

Based on the FSU game & OU's experience and ability, one would think OU could handle this situation. However, if Texas plays it
loose and free, doing the unexpected & OU isn't prepared, anything could happen. Turnovers will be a key factor. I really worry for OU if it comes down to the kicking game. Fact is, the young Texas kids don't know they're underdogs....they probably actually think they can win, and with the new set of coaches they have, they're dangerous.

I'd be satisfied with just a W in this one......any way, shape or form. Texas has a good football team and they're gunning for this one. They're D is tough, and their running game has come into it's own. The Sooners better be prepared and in the right frame of mind.

SoonerBorn85
10/7/2011, 07:02 AM
I just hope we can blow up The Annexation of Puerto Rico or whatever else BS razzle dazzle trick play gheyness Harsin comes up with.

NOVSooner
10/7/2011, 09:18 AM
I see it like this: ut comes out full of confidence and hope and pushes OU the first few drives. we get knocked back, bend but don't break (someone is now shouting "fire BV"), then we recover and take the wind out of their sails. It will be a fight early but the sooner we get in their heads (and the endzone), the better we are set up for the rest of the game. Look for Finch and the shovel pass to come out in this game. the first quarter probably won't be fun for either side, thankfully, we get to play 4 quarters. all in all, however, we do need this to be a statement game for us.

FaninAma
10/7/2011, 09:35 AM
Again, if OU gets beat or allows UT to stay within a TD of them while playing 2 freshmen QBs , mediocre receivers in an offensive scheme that isn't as sophisticated as some highschool schemes and on the other side of the ball an average defense then the Sooners are not the team we thought they were.

This is not a good Texas team. They got 3 turnovers and a blocked punt for a TD and still beat a mediocre Iowa State by just 23.

The Maestro
10/7/2011, 10:54 AM
Again, if OU gets beat or allows UT to stay within a TD of them while playing 2 freshmen QBs , mediocre receivers in an offensive scheme that isn't as sophisticated as some highschool schemes and on the other side of the ball an average defense then the Sooners are not the team we thought they were.

This is not a good Texas team. They got 3 turnovers and a blocked punt for a TD and still beat a mediocre Iowa State by just 23.

+1

SoonersEnFuego
10/7/2011, 12:43 PM
I'm very confident, but still know that anything can happen in rivalry games like this.
Logic is telling me that we will win for many, many reasons. Sometimes logic goes out the window in games like this.

FaninAma
10/8/2011, 06:55 PM
I like our chances against either LSU or Alabama. Huepel makes this offense light years ahead of the offense in 2003 and our defense is more athletic than it was that year.

C&CDean
10/9/2011, 07:46 AM
So, are we worthy or not?

That was a hella fun game to be at. Not too hot, and my only frustrating moments were the first two possessions when we only got field goals, and the junk TD we (and the refs) gave them at the end of the game.

We didn't beat them, we anally plunged them with a Sooner Schooner-sized phallus.

LASooner
10/9/2011, 02:55 PM

cough cough....ahem. :stupid: