PDA

View Full Version : Deloss Dodds

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 02:32 PM
I've had a dislike for the guy since the whole conference realignment thing started. I guess I am guilty of "going with the crowd" and disliking him becuase Texas is (supossedly) the bad guy.

Today, the Tulsa World published this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20111005_92_B8_CUTLIN310926) interview, and my opinion of him has changed.

He seems to have a healthy respect for OU, and appears to have answered the questions pretty straight forward.

One thing I did find interesting was how he discussed not going to the PAC12. It sounds like (unless I am just reading way too much into it) that there was a decision made not to go....rather than the PAC deciding not to expand.

Nonetheless, it's a little insight into the "bad guy".

Oh, and I still HATE texas.

badger
10/5/2011, 02:35 PM
It's too bad they didn't interview him Tuesday, then maybe some perspective on Mizzou possibly bolting.

I worry about the future of the conference, even though I really don't have a vested interest and I can't really impact the decision at all.

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 02:38 PM
I was a little worried about Mizzou leaving, but then again, it's Mizzou. I think the A&M/Nebraska departures were damaging, but the CU/Mizzou departures are an afterthought. I can understand Mizzou leaving for the B1G, but if they end up in the SEC, that'll be sad.

oumartin
10/5/2011, 02:39 PM
Mizzou is gone!

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 02:43 PM
Mizzou is gone!

Is it official yet?

oumartin
10/5/2011, 02:44 PM
rumor has it!

Vegas Sooner
10/5/2011, 02:46 PM
ESPon(Disney) just reporting Mizzou gone.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/5/2011, 03:04 PM
He should have slapped his momma in the face for such a dumb name. What is that? French for "The loser?".

OrlandoSooner
10/5/2011, 03:07 PM
He should have slapped his momma in the face for such a dumb name. What is that? French for "The loser?".

Nice. I chuckled at that one. Sounds like one of my Dad's jokes.

KantoSooner
10/5/2011, 03:08 PM
And to where did they go?

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 03:14 PM
I don't like that the arrogant prick is being credited by the media for "saving the BigXII".

Um, they are the reason everyone is leaving.

70sooner
10/5/2011, 03:44 PM
dunno, but I think this column by Sittler tells a lot more about Dodds, et al....and there is a lot more in the article than what I pasted....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articleid=20110927_202_B1_CUTLIN974185&rss_lnk=202

Dodds didn't demand to officially hold both jobs at the outset because he needed to find a new home for the Longhorns after he helped kill off the Southwest Conference. So he did the next best thing by pushing through his hand-picked choice, Steve Hatchell, as the league's first commissioner.

Hatchell and his successors, Kevin Weiberg and Dan Beebe, always got their marching orders direct from the Austin office of Godfather Dodds. Their only mission was to make sure Texas won every important conference vote.

Only a few who covered every step of the Big 12's formation are still around. Those media survivors can attest that the Big 12's three commissioners did their job superbly, because Dodds remains undefeated when it comes to those behind-closed-doors decisions.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articleid=20110927_202_B1_CUTLIN974185&rss_lnk=202

70sooner
10/5/2011, 03:57 PM
Mizzou is gone!

not yet, but these guys are begging.....

ST. LOUIS -- The University of Missouri hopes to join the Southeastern Conference but would have preferred an offer from the Big Ten that never came, a school official told The Associated Press.

The person, who is familiar with the discussions involving conference affiliation, spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the school has not commented publicly about its intentions.
Missouri hoped to join the Big Ten last year but the league instead chose Nebraska. The university official said the Big Ten remains Missouri's top choice but that conference "has no interest."

"That's what's left," the official said, referring to the SEC.

Missouri's seven voting curators agreed unanimously Tuesday night to give chancellor Brady Deaton authority to look elsewhere rather than immediately commit to the troubled Big 12 Conference.

Just one day earlier, Big 12 leaders -- including Deaton -- agreed to equally share the wealth from the conference's most lucrative television deals if members agree to lock those top-tier TV rights into the league for at least six years.

The agreement is subject to approval by university governing boards -- a step Missouri curators don't want to take until the school is able to "fully explore options for conference affiliation ... which best serve the interests of the University of Missouri," board chairman Warren Erdman told The Associated Press.

The Big 12 is down to 10 members and will lose Texas A&M to the SEC next year after the departures of Colorado to the Pac-12 and Nebraska to the Big Ten.

The SEC members' athletic directors and commissioner Mike Slive met Wednesday in Birmingham, Ala., to discuss the logistics of Texas A&M's arrival. A conference spokesman said the meeting was called several weeks ago.

A possible addition of Missouri was not on the agenda, a source with direct knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.
Slive has not ruled out further expansion, and Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart has said the SEC will eventually add members.

Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin said Tuesday the conference is in a wait-and-see mode on further expansion.

"The commissioner has done such a great job of positioning us and we continue just to kind of look for his guidance and for him to lead us in whatever direction we decide on," Stricklin said. "When he says, 'Hey, here's an idea,' we're going to listen to him. Until then, I think we are all very comfortable with where we are at 13 for the time being."

But South Carolina president Harris Pastides has said he doesn't "think 13 is a sustainable number, but I think 14 is." He added that he doesn't advocate growing to a 16-team league.

Besides being a fresh blow to the Big 12, a Missouri departure would threaten its long-standing rivalry with neighboring Kansas, one of the oldest in college sports. Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self told the Lawrence Journal-World that the border showdowns may not continue if Missouri bolts.

"I have no ill will toward Missouri at all, but to do something at a time that could be so damaging and hurtful to a group, I can't see us just taking it and forgetting," he told the newspaper.

Kansas athletic director Shannon Zenger was less forceful, appealing instead to the Tigers' sense of loyalty to the league.

"We believe the Midwest deserves a strong conference for student-athletes, fans and alumni, and it is our desire that Missouri will stay committed -- as Kansas is -- to the Big 12 Conference," he said.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7063633/missouri-tigers-hope-join-sec-had-wanted-big-ten-invite-most

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 05:04 PM
dunno, but I think this column by Sittler tells a lot more about Dodds, et al....and there is a lot more in the article than what I pasted....

Well, what's the old saying "There's three sides to every story, your side, the other person's side, and the truth."? I'm sure the guy can be a complete ******, but I thought the interview was at least a compelling reason to listen to his side.

I tend to believe we are tied to Texas (as far as conferences go), which isn't a bad thing.

But, just in case anyone forgot...I still HATE texas.

70sooner
10/5/2011, 06:12 PM
meh, I just think he has welded too much power since the BIG 12 was formed and I also think that for the most part, nobody has tried to stop him/UT.

And yes, I hate Texass, too....

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 06:27 PM
If you read the article and hear him saying he is just doing what is right for Texas, that doesn't sound too evil. But if you are a conference member, supposedly on equal terms, his comment is exactly what has caused all the trouble. He doesn't say, "what is right for the conference". Perhaps that is asking too much, but he's leaving too much destruction behind.