PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a book....

TUSooner
10/5/2011, 02:19 PM
about US history from after the Civil War* to before WW2. Would like it NOT to be textbook, and not a "screed" for any particular viewpoint.*

*If the book refers to the CW as "The War of Northern Aggression," please do not recommend it at this time. :wink:

sooner_born_1960
10/5/2011, 02:20 PM
Have you tried the library?

TUSooner
10/5/2011, 02:25 PM
Have you tried the library?

Perhaps I should have clarified that I want RECOMMENDATIONS from LITERATE people. <shakes head sadly>

:biggrin:

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2011, 02:26 PM
*If the book refers to the CW as "The War of Northern Aggression," please do not recommend it at this time. :wink:
I can be of no help to you, sir.

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2011, 02:28 PM
Seriously though...

Have you tried "Nothing Like it in the World" by Stephen Ambrose? It's about building the trans-continental railroad. And he definitely doesn't use the term, "WONA."

JohnnyMack
10/5/2011, 02:28 PM
I just bought this:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/abraham-lincoln-vampire-hun.jpg

Can't wait to read it!!!

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2011, 02:31 PM
I just bought this:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/abraham-lincoln-vampire-hun.jpg

Can't wait to read it!!!
I hate you. ;)

JohnnyMack
10/5/2011, 02:34 PM
I hate you. ;)

You can't quit me.

TUSooner
10/5/2011, 03:06 PM
Seriously though...

Have you tried "Nothing Like it in the World" by Stephen Ambrose? It's about building the trans-continental railroad. And he definitely doesn't use the term, "WONA."

I'd probably like that, but I'm interested in something focused more on the political scene and developments. My ignorance of the period is considerable. In fact, my ignorance of the period from 1789 to 1861 is pretty fair, as well.

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 03:21 PM
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4993/teddyto.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/teddyto.jpg/)

You can't go wrong investigating the political climate during the time period you are describing by starting first with Teddy.

Soonerfan88
10/5/2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.amazon.com/American-Courage-Carnage-Chronicles-Experience/dp/0765320126/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240451537&sr=8-1

This doesn't have any in depth political intrigue, but it gives great insight into the military actions of the period.

lexsooner
10/5/2011, 04:26 PM
about US history from after the Civil War* to before WW2. Would like it NOT to be textbook, and not a "screed" for any particular viewpoint.*

›*If the book refers to the CW as "The War of Northern Aggression," please do not recommend it at this time. :wink:

What about The President and the Assassin: McKinley, Terror, and Empire at the Dawn of the American Century by Scott Miller? I've not read it, but it looks really interesting, mostly about America in the Gilded Age of the 1890s. Is this too narrow a time period, TU?

KantoSooner
10/5/2011, 04:55 PM
An off beat choice would be MacDonald-Fraser's 'Flashman' series for light hearted but historically meticulous fun. The second half of 'Flashman and the Redskins' has interesting insight into the Grant Administration and the Indian Wars.

TUSooner
10/5/2011, 07:00 PM
An off beat choice would be MacDonald-Fraser's 'Flashman' series for light hearted but historically meticulous fun. The second half of 'Flashman and the Redskins' has interesting insight into the Grant Administration and the Indian Wars. I read one of the Flashmans awhile ago, where Flashy accidentally helps a slave escape and runs into Lincoln. Pretty funny stuff.

lexsooner
10/5/2011, 09:04 PM
Is this the Flashman who used to bugger Tom Brown at the English boarding school?

Memtig14
10/5/2011, 09:13 PM
I can be of no help to you, sir.I agree

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2011, 09:37 PM
I agree
All the smart ones do.

AlbqSooner
10/6/2011, 06:32 AM
Although you are talking in terms of U.S. History, I might recommend "And Still the Waters Flow" by Angie Debo. She has written many others if you like her style.

TUSooner
10/6/2011, 08:16 AM
Is this the Flashman who used to bugger Tom Brown at the English boarding school? The very same.

KantoSooner
10/6/2011, 01:15 PM
Fraser used the vehicle of 'I'm just transcribing the contents of an old set of diaries discovered in a chest at a rummage sale' to recount what happened to the 'bully and cad' Flashman who abused Tom Brown and was ultimately kicked out of Rugby School.
Essentially, Flashman goes on to be a drunkard and womanizing lout who through no fault of his own happens to be in the midst of every major event of the Victorian world. Winner of the Victoria Cross, the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Confederate Congressional Medal of Honor, he was the lone survivor of Kawnpour, the lone survivor of the Kabul Retreat, Brother in law to Geronimo, Father of Standing Bear, Drinking buddy with Spotted Tail (who also had an affair with Flashman's wife), participated in the routing of the Borneo Pirates with the 'White Rajah' James Brooke, survived the Little Big Horn....you get the picture.
all carefully researched down to the drinking songs and popular phrases of the day. A very enjoyable way to learn a little history.