PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4S

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 11:13 AM
Looks like Apple has done a remarkable job of updating their wheel:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/?cid=CDM-US-DM-P0010771-CONEDU&cp=em-P0010771-176980&sr=em#

Boomer.....
10/5/2011, 11:43 AM
They dropped the ball.

NormanPride
10/5/2011, 11:50 AM
Waste of time, IMO.

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 11:50 AM
They dropped the ball.

'Splain Lucy?

Soonerfan88
10/5/2011, 11:54 AM
Apparently the fanboys are very underwhelmed. The only real change was processing speed and unless you are seriously gaming with your iPhone, it's not worth the upgrade. All software upgrades are already available on the 4S.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/5/2011, 11:55 AM
Well, it looks pretty good if you think about the phone in my hand - a Motorola Razr.

This new phone, since it is a World phone, will have me give it a good, hard look. I need a world phone to go with my company BB.

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 11:57 AM
As a 3GS owner, I have been waiting for the iPhone 5, but this seems to be it.

I crave longer battery life, IOS5 and the new processor and think this upgrade would be worth it to me. I do love the speed of the processor in my iPad2.

Am I wrong in thinking these things?

Boomer.....
10/5/2011, 12:00 PM
'Splain Lucy?

They just rereleased the iPhone 4 with a better camera and faster chip. Everyone was giddy for a 4G iPhone 5 with a new look. The new phone looks identical to the 4. All of this after delaying the release for around 6 months? They're stocks fell yesterday after the release.

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 12:07 PM
They just rereleased the iPhone 4 with a better camera and faster chip. Everyone was giddy for a 4G iPhone 5 with a new look. The new phone looks identical to the 4. All of this after delaying the release for around 6 months? They're stocks fell yesterday after the release.

But for me, given what I wrote above, do you agree or disagree that the upgrade from my 3GS would be worth it? The peeps I know with the 4 get great battery life and love their phone. I love mine as well, but the 4 seems better and it appears it will be some time before an iPhone 5 comes out.

OrlandoSooner
10/5/2011, 12:09 PM
I ordered a 4 through my work this summer. At first I was bummed that I ordered too soon, but this doesn't look like much of an upgrade. I'm happy with my 4.

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 12:14 PM
I ordered a 4 through my work this summer. At first I was bummed that I ordered too soon, but this doesn't look like much of an upgrade. I'm happy with my 4.

Did you have an iPhone previous to your 4?

I had a first-gen for two years, then went to the 3GS...just simply an amazing device. Does what I want it to. I look at the 4S as being what the 3GS was to the 1st Gen.

yermom
10/5/2011, 12:26 PM
you have to keep stepping up the processor since they keep bloating out the OS

my 3G is getting SLOW

at the same time you have to upgrade the OS as they do because a lot of the cooler apps aren't backward compatible

SoonerStud615
10/5/2011, 12:50 PM
Anyone who didn't see this coming is blind.
They did a minor upgrade from 3G -> 3GS
Now, it's the 4 -> 4S

Next year...iPhone 5.

Aside from that Siri looks incredible and the price drops are going to bring a lot more people in. Free 3GS, and $99 for the iPhone 4? Win.

Add on the fact that they said their new antenna was capable of speeds similar to that of the popular 4G Androids and you have a perfect mid-cycle release.

CRASH 02
10/5/2011, 01:05 PM
I'm torn as to what I want to do about a new phone. I had the first iPhone and now own a 3GS. I was really hoping they would have released a new design that supports 4G too. My phone is the second phone on our plan so I'm not eligible for upgrades as quickly as my wife. She can update yearly while I have to wait 18 months. If I buy the 4S now I will be stuck with the almost 4 year old design that doesn't support 4G by the time I'm eligible for an upgrade. I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy S II that has 4G as well as turn by turn navigation or the 4S that has a lot of good upgrades over my 3GS.

OrlandoSooner
10/5/2011, 01:17 PM
Did you have an iPhone previous to your 4?

I had a first-gen for two years, then went to the 3GS...just simply an amazing device. Does what I want it to. I look at the 4S as being what the 3GS was to the 1st Gen.

Yes. I had the 3g for about 3 years. It was getting very slow due to the OS upgrades over the 3 years. Loved it when I first had it, but it was very frustrating for the last several months due to lack of speed.

The 4 that I have is much faster than the 3g. Also, the company is picking up the cost on this one instead of me which is nice. I like that I can have an app streaming audio and have it running in the background. I hated that you couldn't (or I didn't know how) multi-task apps with the 3g.

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2011, 01:29 PM
Galaxy S II>iPhone
Android>iOS

Boomer.....
10/5/2011, 01:31 PM
I'm with SicEm. I said screw it and bought a Droid (HTC Inspire) a few months back. Great decision.

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 01:36 PM
I've got my upgrade coming in a couple of weeks, and I've been pretty dead set on the iPhone, however, lately people have been telling me that an Android is the way to go.

So, for all you super new phone people, what is the benefit of one over the other?

soonerhubs
10/5/2011, 01:43 PM
Not to thread jack, but I'm deciding between the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the Iphone 4S. I'm leaning towards the droid, but I'm a bit torn.

I've always enjoyed my iPhone 3G, until about 6 months ago. As was already mentioned, it's just too dang slow!

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2011, 01:44 PM
I've got my upgrade coming in a couple of weeks, and I've been pretty dead set on the iPhone, however, lately people have been telling me that an Android is the way to go.

So, for all you super new phone people, what is the benefit of one over the other?
iPhone has the simplicity of use going for it. It's fairly idiot proof. The trade-off for that is that it isn't very customizable. You can jailbreak it and change a few things here and there, but for the most part you're stuck with whatever Apple gives you.

Androids are highly customizable. You can change your phone to look and act exactly like you want it to. The trade-off is that it's a bit more complex and complicated than the iPhone. Android phones also allow for expanded memory via micro-SD cards.

Apple has a larger app-store, but they're a lot more stingy about what kinds of apps are approved. Google's app store is a little less populated, but they're not as tyrannical about what kinds of apps are approved. Plus, it's VERY easy to sideload android apps which is a big plus.

The real difference maker for me is that I can plug my android phone into my computer and have access to the file system. I can drag-and-drop ebooks, music, movies, etc. at will which is impossible on the iPhone. I like having a high level of control over my phone and Android allows for that while the iPhone does not.

I had an iPhone 3G and an iPad, but I made the switch to both an Android phone and tablet and I couldn't be happier with either one. It's a personal choice though and it really boils down to whether you prefer simplicity and ease of use or a high level of control over your phone.

SoonerStud615
10/5/2011, 01:51 PM
Apple has a larger app-store, but they're a lot more stingy about what kinds of apps are approved. Google's app store is a little less populated, but they're not as tyrannical about what kinds of apps are approved. Plus, it's VERY easy to sideload android apps which is a big plus.

Android market is a hell-hole for developers. While Apple may be "tyrannical" they make sure your sh*t doesn't get ripped off by someone else. Even Windows phone has a better system set up for developers than Android. There are too many knockoff & shoddy apps in the Android market.

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 01:55 PM
I have been looking forward to the introduction of IOS5.

It will be great fun to be able to stream my HBO-GO from my iPad2 thru my AppleTV and watch all the HBO greatness on my TV.

I like that it streams on my iPad2 now, but having it on my TV will be superb.

Another thing it will stream on my TV will be ESPN3 and other streaming sites that have games my local Cox doesn't show.

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 05:56 PM
iPhone has the simplicity of use going for it. It's fairly idiot proof. The trade-off for that is that it isn't very customizable. You can jailbreak it and change a few things here and there, but for the most part you're stuck with whatever Apple gives you.

Androids are highly customizable. You can change your phone to look and act exactly like you want it to. The trade-off is that it's a bit more complex and complicated than the iPhone. Android phones also allow for expanded memory via micro-SD cards.

The real difference maker for me is that I can plug my android phone into my computer and have access to the file system. I can drag-and-drop ebooks, music, movies, etc. at will which is impossible on the iPhone. I like having a high level of control over my phone and Android allows for that while the iPhone does not.

I had an iPhone 3G and an iPad, but I made the switch to both an Android phone and tablet and I couldn't be happier with either one. It's a personal choice though and it really boils down to whether you prefer simplicity and ease of use or a high level of control over your phone.

Interesting. I'm not a super high tech kinda person, so for me, having a phone that I can use to download music and access the innerwebs is all I really need. iPhone sounds good for that. I'm leaning more toward simplicity.

Boomer.....
10/5/2011, 06:30 PM
Driods can also be as simple as you want them to be. Turn it one and it will work perfectly. They just allow you to customize them more than an iPhone will.

Lott's Bandana
10/7/2011, 08:52 AM
I just ordered my iPhone 4S.

If the Siri works like they say it does, that might just be worth the investment. Or, I'll play with it a while and then forget about it.

achiro
10/7/2011, 10:24 AM
I just ordered my iPhone 4S.

If the Siri works like they say it does, that might just be worth the investment. Or, I'll play with it a while and then forget about it.
Got mine ordered this morning as well.

NormanPride
10/7/2011, 10:39 AM
You'll regret this when they come out with the iPhone 4Si in three months.

Lott's Bandana
10/7/2011, 10:44 AM
Always a risk, but @$199.00 it won't crash my personal economy if I simply have to get the 4Si.

Si?

4yes?

achiro
10/7/2011, 10:51 AM
You'll regret this when they come out with the iPhone 4Si in three months.
I've had the original 3 for 4-5 years now, I had to do something. Waiting from June, when I expected the new phone to be released, was bad enough.

soonerhubs
10/7/2011, 12:21 PM
The Galaxy S II seems fun so far.

CRASH 02
10/7/2011, 01:43 PM
I went to AT&T today to order a 4S and they said it could be 14-21 days before it got here so I guess I'll stand in line next Friday if the lines are to bad.

Lott's Bandana
10/7/2011, 01:57 PM
Apple.com promises delivery on 10/14.

Phil
10/7/2011, 03:15 PM
Verizon said the same. Should have it next week. Did the order at 2:01 am and no hiccups at all. In fact, it opened up a few minutes early.

soonerboomer93
10/7/2011, 04:47 PM
AT&T wasn't working at 2 am this morning.

I hae a 3gs so I'm going to go and get the upgrade. But I'm not going with a 32 gb one this time, just a 16. I use an ipod for the gym as is. I'm more after the e-mail, etc on the phone.

I've never been big on android, frankly any phone that I can't plug into my computer and sync with outlook (that I have to sync though g-mail, or etc like on android and windows phone) frankly I'm not that high on.

It is also nice to be able to take a screen capture on the phone

Howzit
10/7/2011, 06:44 PM
Does Oklahoma even have a true 4G network now?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/7/2011, 07:52 PM
Don't think so...

soonerboomer93
10/7/2011, 09:49 PM
they have the HSPA+ here in h-town. Ordered my at 9 pm, will have it friday

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2011, 10:13 PM
It is also nice to be able to take a screen capture on the phone
Like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/SC20111007-220913.png

soonerboomer93
10/7/2011, 11:38 PM
you had to root your phone to do so though

OrlandoSooner
10/7/2011, 11:57 PM

I don't know what that is, but it sounds dirty.

soonerboomer93
10/8/2011, 01:42 AM
jailbreaking basically, he's running a modified version of android, since google doesn't allow that function (at least last I knew when I looked into last month or so).

Phil
10/8/2011, 06:01 AM
Actually, we do. OKC was one of the initial rollout cities for Verizon 4G.

achiro
10/8/2011, 08:26 AM
My understanding is that there is no real 4g at this point anyway. The new iphone does run faster than 3g(on att) though.

I love my ipad2, but was expecting more from the iPhone update. I was due for a new phone for work. So when apple missed on their promo, I went out and got a droid bionic.

I don't know what else apple could have done besides a different outside to the phone. Pretty much everything else folks expected to happen, happened.
As far as going with an android, you should have waited at least a week to see what google rolls out on Tuesday.

ChickSoonerFan
10/9/2011, 06:56 PM
I dropped my 3GS at the last tailgate and cracked the screen. I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money to fix the screen then wait for the next version of the iPhone or just get a new one. I don't really want to spend $199 on a 4S right now but if the iPhone 4 is only $99, it might be worth it.

MR2-Sooner86
10/9/2011, 07:48 PM
As far as going with an android, you should have waited at least a week to see what google rolls out on Tuesday.

That's what I'm doing. If it's not an option, it'll be between a Galaxy S2 or 4S.

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2011, 07:56 PM
My phone is rooted, but Samsung has a built in ready-to-go screen capture setting.

Lott's Bandana
10/11/2011, 01:21 PM
New fone shipped today...

Friday will be fun, figgerin the thing out.

Ton Loc
10/11/2011, 03:44 PM
The new Iphone looks cool. Siri seems like an awesome tool that will be used a ton for two weeks and then forgot about.
I just don't understand why didn't they change the look or the size of it.

I have a WP7.
Of course, I also had a Zune.

Lott's Bandana
10/11/2011, 05:10 PM
Like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/SC20111007-220913.png

That's easy on an iPhone.

Am I missing something?

OklaPony
10/11/2011, 07:01 PM
Same here. Had a Zune (still have it, actually), opted for a Samsung Focus last year and really like it.

AlboSooner
10/11/2011, 07:08 PM
I've owned every iPhone apple has put out. Now I have the 4 and I don't need a phone faster than this. The 4 is plenty fast.
I doubt Siri works as smooth as in the commercials.

soonerboomer93
10/11/2011, 07:46 PM
That's easy on an iPhone.

Am I missing something?

yeah, his HTC doesn't support that feature out of the box. Something I actually use frequently.

Anyways, it's a nice update from my 3gs. I'm actually cutting down on size as I really don't listen to music or watch video on my iphone that often.

soonerboomer93
10/11/2011, 07:48 PM
The new Iphone looks cool. Siri seems like an awesome tool that will be used a ton for two weeks and then forgot about.
I just don't understand why didn't they change the look or the size of it.

I have a WP7.
Of course, I also had a Zune.

The fact that WP7 and Android don't sync contacts with outlook is the deal breaker for me. I refuse to store that stuff in the cloud, especially on googles servers.

Ton Loc
10/12/2011, 09:16 AM
The fact that WP7 and Android don't sync contacts with outlook is the deal breaker for me. I refuse to store that stuff in the cloud, especially on googles servers.

Wp7 syncs with Outlook only if you use Exchange. I'm guessing you dont have exchange.

However, you can sync your Outlook contacts to Windows Live, which will then sync those contacts to your phone as soon as you add your Windows Live account to your phone. Also, the new Mango update brings WP7 where it needs to be. WP7 needs to come out with some good looking phones and hardware if they are going to be competitive.

As with all things though, go out and get the phone that makes you happy and does what you need it to.

soonerboomer93
10/12/2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah, the if you use exchange means it's actually syncing with exchange and not outlook. I don't want to have my contacts in a windows live account either, especially since I know my co-workers phone took a couple hours to sync. My other co-workers android phone has lost his contacts before when he's been out of cell phone range for too long, and then he had to wait for it to resync them all.

SoonerStud615
10/12/2011, 10:32 AM
I doubt Siri works as smooth as in the commercials.

Did you watch the keynote? They did a live demo, on stage and it worked brilliantly. I've also read on Wired.com where they demoed it and specifically tried to trick it and couldn't

oudavid1
10/12/2011, 12:26 PM

Evo can do it. Evo Shift (mine) cant unless connected to the computer.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds dirty.

Its a bi**h of a process of "jailbreaking' an android. Way more complicated and ricky (atleast for my shift) than iPhone jailbreaking.

soonerboomer93
10/13/2011, 11:35 AM
New fone shipped today...

Friday will be fun, figgerin the thing out.

Mine Shipped last night and is currently inbound from HK

You can patch your 3gs to iOS5 if you want, I updated mine last night and am enjoying the new notification stuff. Thank you for no longer interrupting my games, etc when I get a text in.

I don't have twitter and still deciding what I want to do with iCloud also.

sooneron
10/13/2011, 02:02 PM
Word is, the new cam in the 4S is da bomb. Esp for video. Mongo and 1tc will be making "home movies" again before you know it...

soonerboomer93
10/13/2011, 09:13 PM
I already have a dslr if I want to take real pictures. And to be honest, my 5 year old p&s is probably far better then the iPhone for a real picture. Appature size actually does matter more then mp

yermom
10/13/2011, 10:06 PM
but is your P&S always in your pocket?

and connected to the internet...

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 10:16 PM
I'm disappointed.

I downloaded IOS5 for my 3GS and iPad2 tonight. I was excited about mirroring HBOGO to my flat-screen.

::BUZZER::

"We're sorry, but HBOGO does not support HDMI attachment showing on the big screen stuff. We will continue to work on getting this availabled." Or something like that.

Rats.

soonerboomer93
10/13/2011, 11:52 PM
but is your P&S always in your pocket?

and connected to the internet...

Not always in my pocket, but always in my bag

Not connected to the net isn't a bit deal. I'm not a social networking junkie (as I post on a forum)

****, I just now decided to look into enabling the emoji icons (no app needed FYI) tonight

soonerbrat
10/14/2011, 09:46 AM
I dropped my 3GS at the last tailgate and cracked the screen. I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money to fix the screen then wait for the next version of the iPhone or just get a new one. I don't really want to spend $199 on a 4S right now but if the iPhone 4 is only $99, it might be worth it.

haha...dropping the phone at a tailgate and cracking the screen was why I upgraded to a 4.

soonerbrat
10/14/2011, 09:47 AM
OK people, you should get them today....reports on how awesome/not awesome they are, please

Lott's Bandana
10/14/2011, 10:37 AM
I just got mine. UPS dood said I was the first in Norman. At least from his truck, eh.

Just backed up the 3GS (to the computer and iCloud!)

Here we go...

achiro
10/14/2011, 10:42 AM
I'm synching my apps as I type

C&CDean
10/14/2011, 10:52 AM
I have a 4G and I am completely satisfied with it. It does way more than my minuscule geek gene can ask of it. I tried the Android first, and it was a POS for me. Not intuitive at all, and the battery died constantly. If you didn't charge it every day, you were toast. My iphone can go for 3-4 days, and sometimes even longer if I don't use the innerwebs.

I shant be upgrading any time soon.

achiro
10/14/2011, 12:16 PM
Ok Siri is freaking awesome! I've been "talk/texting" people on my contacts all morning!

soonerboomer93
10/14/2011, 12:18 PM
I had mine before 10 am, took over 2 hours before activation. Restored the back up, just waiting on everything to resync.

CRASH 02
10/14/2011, 01:00 PM
Ok Siri is freaking awesome! I've been "talk/texting" people on my contacts all morning!

It's WAY better than I thought it would be.

Lott's Bandana
10/14/2011, 01:34 PM
It is now 1:40pm and I have not been able to activate my new phone.

Apparently Apple made the 4S available to 7 countries today. Their servers are jacked and I can't get through to get activated.

My buddy went to the Apple store to get his activated, but I don't want to drive to north OKC just to get my phone online.

It's only going to get worse as the West Coast gets their phones delivered.

After dozens of iTunes activation failures, I called AT&T who then shut my 3GS down to activate my 4S...now I have NO phone service. Just 2 bricks and no land line. I used Skype to call Apple and they said they are bombed and there's nothing they can do.

This is the first time Apple has rolled out an iPhone worldwide. They ****ed up.

soonerboomer93
10/14/2011, 02:17 PM
Siri has some easter eggs btw.

Apparently they're having problems activating on AT&T originally, I have a feeling that they backed up into the rest of the system.

I ended up getting it to activate through iTunes, but then again, the apple store is only like a 10 minute drive.

achiro
10/14/2011, 02:20 PM
It only took me about 5 minutes to activate mine. Based on one set of instructions that I had, I synched mine with itunes first thinking it would be activated when it was done with that. I messed around with it for about 20 minutes and then read the email they sent me, thats when I realized I needed to do a bit more. There was a link to the website to activate it. I went there, typed in my zipcode and number to confirm my identity, pressed enter and it was done.

achiro
10/14/2011, 02:22 PM
https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

This was the addy I used and had no issues at all.

Lott's Bandana
10/14/2011, 02:22 PM
My phone just now activated. Took 4 hours.

Now I can't access voicemail and am on hold once again with AT&T to get my voicemail working.

This has not been a pleasant process.

soonerboomer93
10/14/2011, 02:26 PM
my wouldn't sync, etc until I got the activation through iTunes

SoonerStud615
10/14/2011, 09:08 PM
Surprised my wife with one today to upgrade from her 3GS. No problem with activation or anything. Playing with Siri is great.

Try asking:
Will you marry me?
What's the best phone?
Do you love me?
What's the point of life? Etc...

Aside from the Easter eggs it is really useful and works great!

sooneron
10/17/2011, 01:20 PM
I already have a dslr if I want to take real pictures. And to be honest, my 5 year old p&s is probably far better then the iPhone for a real picture. Appature size actually does matter more then mp

Duh, I was referring to the video funtion tho.

http://vimeo.com/30606785

49r
10/17/2011, 01:33 PM
**** that Siri Says....

http://goo.gl/mWWGS

Some funny stuff there.