PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot Day

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/5/2011, 10:43 AM
Today is flu shot day at work. A few of my coworkers have chosen not to get their shots because they never get sick. Who else holds this philosophy? Having pneumonia once and the flu another time has sold me on getting the shots.

hawaii 5-0
10/5/2011, 10:45 AM
I look forward to getting my flu shot every year. It's no guarantee but why risk it? Thousands die every year due to flu. Got mine last week.

5-0

achiro
10/5/2011, 10:47 AM
Found this interesting:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/295725_2472693902413_1404371075_2880291_1792499226 _n.jpg

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 10:55 AM
I was forced to have a flu shot for 20 years while serving in the military. I actually never got the flu during that time.

While my luck may not be directly attributable to the shot, I continue to get them each year. Colds? Sure. Flu? Not yet.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/5/2011, 01:54 PM
One year I got the flu after the shot, but it was the year they didn't include all the strains. I got the flu at OU-tx that year, so instead of swine flu I think it was cow flu.

DCSooner
10/5/2011, 02:22 PM
I never get the flu shot because the flu is the only time I can take off of work.

soonerbrat
10/6/2011, 06:10 AM
but that's no fun to take off work when you can't play golf. it's more fun when you pretend to have the flu.

had my whole health screening day and flu shot on tuesday...my work takes 6 days to get all the employees. my blood pressure was 97/75 and glucose was 88 (non fasting) and my cholesterol 156. not bad for old lady.

GottaHavePride
10/6/2011, 08:04 AM
In my case, I look at it like this.

No flu shot = no flu.
Flu shot = guaranteed week-long sinus infection every damn time.

I haven't gotten a flu shot in 10 years. Wash your damn hands, people.

C&CDean
10/6/2011, 08:31 AM
The last time I had the flu was the last time I got a flu shot. Actually, that's not exactly true. My last flu shot was in 1977. I was sicker than a dog for a week afterward. Fever, chills, aches/pains, couldn't even get outta bed.

In 1986 I got the flu while attending a class in Norman. Drove to Arizona with it.

Since then I've been flu free and I ain't taking that POS shot. Hell, I only get a cold maybe once every 3-4 years. Why eff up a good thing - when it ain't broke don't fix it?

Besides, doctors kill more people in a day than the flu does in a year.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/6/2011, 09:26 AM
but that's no fun to take off work when you can't play golf. it's more fun when you pretend to have the flu.

had my whole health screening day and flu shot on tuesday...my work takes 6 days to get all the employees. my blood pressure was 97/75 and glucose was 88 (non fasting) and my cholesterol 156. not bad for old lady.Those sound like my numbers.

NormanPride
10/6/2011, 09:34 AM
I get it whenever it comes around. But I have a secret fetish for needles.

soonercruiser
10/7/2011, 10:15 PM
Like some others here, I was forced to get the flu shots in the military! I would get sick about a week later, about 50% of the time. Yes it was usually a rather mild case.

Since getting out of the military, I only got the vaccine a couple of times, with the same relative results.
So, the last 5 years I have declined - even signing a statement to that effect as a state health employee.
No lost days at work for many years - no flu last 5 years. And, I work in direct patient contact with many patients a day. *Cover you coughs or sneezes!
Wash your hands frequently!

Medically speaking - The flu vaccine is a great idea for those who - have children in school, have a history of getting the flu or pneumonia, and the young or elderly. Make you own decision based on the risks and benefits.

BTW - there is a separate pneumonia vaccine.

Blue
10/7/2011, 11:06 PM
Aren't they just guessing what strain the flu will be?

No shot for me. No flu in about 8 years. Knock on wood.

Memtig14
10/8/2011, 12:58 AM
Haven't had the flu in years (I'm sure saying that cursed me) and I always get a flu shot.

I do however get a real pain in the a__ (butt) during my wife's time of the month........any shot for that?

.....other than a 9 MM or 30/30?

ChickSoonerFan
10/9/2011, 07:22 PM

had my whole health screening day and flu shot on tuesday...my work takes 6 days to get all the employees. my blood pressure was 97/75 and glucose was 88 (non fasting) and my cholesterol 156. not bad for old lady.

PHI VIOLATION!!!!

;)

I started getting the flu shot each year about five years ago. I had the flu once in high school and never again since with or without the shot.

The flu was bad. Really really bad.

ChickSoonerFan
10/9/2011, 07:23 PM
PHI VIOLATION!!!!

;)

I started getting the flu shot each year about five years ago. I had the flu once in high school and never again since with or without the shot.

The flu was bad. Really really bad.

Why is my winkie's tongue sticking out?

8timechamps
10/9/2011, 10:40 PM
Okay, you medical people can give your input on this. I got a flu shot in 1998, and within a week, had the full blown flu. At the time, my doctor told me it was not becuase of the shot, and I must have been harboring the virus prior...so, just bad timing.

I didn't get a shot in '99, because regarless of what the doctor said, I thought it was from the shot.

In 2000, I was convinced that I needed a flu shot...and it had been a couple of years, so I got one. Again, within probably 10 days, I had the flu. Again I was told it had nothing to do with the shot.

Maybe I just happened to have two crazy-bad timing experiences. Or, maybe they really don't know everything. Either way, unless I'm 95 years old, and people at the nursing home are giving free shots, I'm done with the flu shots.

StoopTroup
10/9/2011, 10:48 PM
The shots change every year from what I know about them. They are trying to expose many of us to the various strains that have developed over the last few decades. I thought it was BS until I got Pneumonia once and then started having sinus infections. I've gotten the shots the last couple of years now and things seem to be better than they used to be. I think if I hadn't started getting them...I might have gotten pneumonia again the last time I got sick.

Thanks for reminding me SBSB. I'm gonna check with my Doc about when I'm due for the shot again.

salth2o
10/10/2011, 07:59 AM
Each time I have gotten a flu shot, I have gotten sick a few days after. Thus, I take my chances and pass on getting the shot.

kbsooner21
10/10/2011, 03:54 PM
Get it every year.

badger
10/10/2011, 04:16 PM
Today is flu shot day at work. A few of my coworkers have chosen not to get their shots because they never get sick.

You need to get all righteous and indignant when they are like this and be like "THAT'S BECAUSE EVERYONE THAT YOU WOULD CATCH IT FROM IS ENDURING THE PAIN OF A NEEDLE WHILE YOU LA LA LA SIT BACK AND WATCH US GET BANDAGED UP SO YOU DON'T GET THE FLU FROM US YOU WUSSY FREELOADER!"

There might actually be some merit to that argument... but don't do it for merit, do it for lulz :)

C&CDean
10/10/2011, 06:37 PM
Momma and I were at Sam's today buying stuff for the next tailgate. All over the damn place were tables set up with obesely overweight "nurses" offering flu shots. I made sure I kept at least 30 feet or so distance from those tables. Don't wanna catch whatever they're selling.

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 10:15 PM
Momma and I were at Sam's today buying stuff for the next tailgate. All over the damn place were tables set up with obesely overweight "nurses" offering flu shots. I made sure I kept at least 30 feet or so distance from those tables. Don't wanna catch whatever they're selling.

Can you catch fat? I think it's only transmitted orally.

hawaii 5-0
10/11/2011, 02:01 AM
I guess you don't need a Flu shot if you don't touch anything. No doorhandles, no counters, no public soap dispensers, no computer kepboards, no remote controls, no faucet handles.
Or if no one breathes on you or you're not in the same room with anyone who has the virus.

No worries, huh?

5-0

mingobee
10/11/2011, 10:31 PM
I've never had one, during my adult years anyway. Never had the flu. I'm healthy, not old nor young. I work in various court houses around the state, so there is a great varity of people that I come into contact. I wash my hands, and keep my hands and fingers out of my eyes, nose and mouth.

FirstandGoal
10/12/2011, 11:04 PM
Most normal healthy people who don't work in a field where they are exposed to a lot of germs (teachers, customer service/cashier, health care professionals) don't really need a flu shot.

As one of the people who work in an at-risk environment, I make sure I get my shot every year. Washing my hands/not touching things/not sticking my hands in my eyes or mouth doesn't prevent everything. So far this week alone, I've had 3 different people sneeze/cough right in my face as I've handled their prescription needs. :disgust:

AlbqSooner
10/13/2011, 07:32 AM
I don't know if this is still true, but it used to be that the flu shot was a controlled dose of live vaccine to build up antibodies. Since I have never had the flu, I do not intend to get the shot until I demonstrate a need for it.

I kinda think that having gone this long and having people come to work with it, people cough/sneeze in my direction, and my touching door handles I have developed a sufficient level of antibodies.

C&CDean
10/13/2011, 08:04 AM
I guess you don't need a Flu shot if you don't touch anything. No doorhandles, no counters, no public soap dispensers, no computer kepboards, no remote controls, no faucet handles.
Or if no one breathes on you or you're not in the same room with anyone who has the virus.

No worries, huh?

5-0

I worked the past 21 years in an extremely high-risk environment. Daily contact with students from all over the country - and world. Same classrooms/bathrooms/eating areas/etc. They have offered the flu shots there for years and years. The people who get them are the people who are always calling in sick. I went over 20 years without a sick day, and I haven't had a flu shot in over 34 years. Seriously, I can name a whole bunch of folks who got the flu shots every year - and every year they're all whacked out with coughing/sneezing/cold-like symptoms/etc.

olevetonahill
10/13/2011, 09:03 AM
Most normal healthy people who don't work in a field where they are exposed to a lot of germs (teachers, customer service/cashier, health care professionals) don't really need a flu shot.

As one of the people who work in an at-risk environment, I make sure I get my shot every year. Washing my hands/not touching things/not sticking my hands in my eyes or mouth doesn't prevent everything. So far this week alone, I've had 3 different people sneeze/cough right in my face as I've handled their prescription needs. :disgust:

What SHE said

captain_surly
10/13/2011, 11:02 AM
My family doctor is an accomplished internist and Chief of Staff at a large hospital. My cardiologist has has a whole bunch of framed **** hanging all over the walls in every one of his exam rooms and seems like a really smart fellow. They both insist that I get the flu shot every year and gave me a pneumonia shot when I turned 55. I don't think I need a booster for that unless I make it to 65. I will continue to follow their advice.

Some people just have better immune systems than others and rarely if ever get sick. if that's the case and you don't have any other risk factors it's probably not necessary to get the shot.

Breadburner
10/13/2011, 11:15 AM
Mine have always been a suppository...WTF....!!!

SoonerTerry
10/13/2011, 12:26 PM
Mine have always been a suppository...WTF....!!!

does your doctor operate out of a van behind the Kroger?

FirstandGoal
10/14/2011, 08:48 AM
My family doctor is an accomplished internist and Chief of Staff at a large hospital. My cardiologist has has a whole bunch of framed **** hanging all over the walls in every one of his exam rooms and seems like a really smart fellow. They both insist that I get the flu shot every year and gave me a pneumonia shot when I turned 55. I don't think I need a booster for that unless I make it to 65. I will continue to follow their advice.

Some people just have better immune systems than others and rarely if ever get sick. if that's the case and you don't have any other risk factors it's probably not necessary to get the shot.

This

Dean, it sounds as if the people you are describing probably are a bunch of drama queens and were looking for an excuse to call in sick. Hey, the flu is going around so how convenient...

In all honesty, I hate doing flu shots at work cause 1. People always seem to come in for those things whenever we are too damned busy and 2. The reimbursement rates from the insurance companies suck ***. I was checking yesterday and saw where we got reimbursed a whopping $1.27 over our net cost for the shot. Hell, I might as well tell people to start bringing their own damned syringes and alcohol pads cause I can't even afford to do them anymore at that rate!

soonerbrat
10/14/2011, 09:00 AM
I don't know if this is still true, but it used to be that the flu shot was a controlled dose of live vaccine to build up antibodies. Since I have never had the flu, I do not intend to get the shot until I demonstrate a need for it.

I kinda think that having gone this long and having people come to work with it, people cough/sneeze in my direction, and my touching door handles I have developed a sufficient level of antibodies.

i was told this year that it was not a live virus

booomer
10/17/2011, 09:12 PM
Is it possible to have never had the flu, 'cause I don't think I ever have? Oh, and I've never had a flu shot and I don't intend to ever get one.